Official Terraria: Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you missed the point of my analogy but one thing I want you to know is that I have played games since age 8 and there comes a point where I just get enough of a game and cant take any more of that game. Terraria is starting to reach that point but I am willing to ride terraria until the last stop. Terraria 1.5? Terraria 2? Not so much.

Otherworld = Terraria 1.5

Please don't make terraria a religion.

Ah, that's more understandable. I, too, have payed games since grade school, so I know the feeling.

Hooks can be pretty sharp just sayin.
@Svard still waiting to hear those system changes

I don't want to go too off-topic, but, for the sake of (trying to) satisfy you...

For DW3 - Most notable change from DW2 was the flow of combat and item system. Added elemental attacks (I think?) The game had a far different feel from DW2.

For DW4 - Weapon leveling system, force-oriented musou mode rather than character-oriented. Added duels. Added character editor.

For DW5 - Duels removed, back to RNG weapons and items, with other variables, such as level difficulty and combos. Some weapons had an ability that extended square-button combos. Added character endings.

For DW6 - Added renbu. More (and weaker) enemies on screen, and more crowds, rather than organized units of 5 in combat. I played very little of this one, as I thought it was terrible.

For DW7 - Went back to force-oritented musou mode, now with Jin forces. Can swap between two different weapons in battle. Musou is more damage-heavy, rather than being combo-heavy. Added conquest mode.

For DW8 - Added hypothetical scenarios, such as, if Guo Jia lived, then Cao Cao could have won Chi Bi. I played very little of this game, so I don't remember any other changes.

There's probably more than that, but these are things I could only think of off the top of my head. Why did I play these games? More or less because I'm a bit of a Romance of the Three Kingdoms enthusiast. But I daresay, these games do little to no justice for how, even the novel, portrayed the characters (Zhang He was not at all effeminate, and Wei Yan was not an incompetent savage). Even the novel does little to honor certain figures, like portraying Wei Yan as a traitor to Shu, when all he wanted to do was continue the fight against Wei, not join them. Granted, Luo Guanzhong probably didn't have ALL the records available to him at that time. And, it was a novel, after all.

**End unrelated post**

This looks great. Can't wait to see where you are taking this new game.
I'm mostly interested in why don't you see it as Terraria 2 though. What elements that don't quite fit in a main line "terraria" will this game have?
Because "the entire world succumbed to corruption" would be the perfect plot for the actual sequel, (what with the corruption being a major force in the original game) and terraria don't really have such a cohesive plot in the first place.

It came out before 1.3 is even out which leads me to wonder about the actual (work) timeline. If T:O is not terraria 2, then what is it? Did I miss some chatter on it? I may not be interested in the game but I do wanna know about all the weird lights behind the curtain.

It came out before 1.3 is even out which leads me to wonder about the actual (work) timeline. If T:O is not terraria 2, then what is it? Did I miss some chatter on it? I may not be interested in the game but I do wanna know about all the weird lights behind the curtain.
It's a spin-off. It's not Terraria 2 because it's not-quite-Terraria. It's the Terraria universe with somewhat different gameplay.

..and it's a good thing it isn't called Terraria 2 because it's probably lacking a lot of the elements that many of the fans love about the game - and adds many new ones that some of us might not care for, or like for different reasons. For example, it might have a stat system - many of us like the gear based system; it might have a storyline - many of us like the lack of story; it has different graphics - many of you :confused:like the 8 bit look, etc.

All in all, it's hardly a Terraria 2.

Most people would call that Terraria 2 as far as I know.

...Another Terraria. Like, the titles are the same, how far off can you go with that?
If there's a similarity between Starbound and this game, it'd be the visual style, but that's about it as far as I know.
aside from the amount of content, that is
I'm pretty sure this game has more content than Starbound already (not that that is hard to achieve though).

walking eater.png

Hype alert!

EDIT: posted earlier, dang

It's going to have multiplayer, but now with steam servers and no with IP... please!
Saludos desde Argentina!

The only thing that kinda got me at first was that it looks quite different to Terraria. I would still play it and enjoy it just as much, but I'm hoping Terraria 2 will look more like Terraria. Also, ever noticed this look alike?: :red2:o_O

Good afternoon, Terrarians!

The teams at Re-Logic and Engine Software would like to take a few moments to provide the entire Terraria Community with a major announcement. As we hinted earlier in our quite vague "teaser", we will be collaborating on a new project that is not Terraria 2, nor anything else that we had discussed before.

Well, the time has come to provide our first major reveal around this project. So, without further ado, we present to Terrarians everywhere the first look at...

Expanding upon the immensely popular action-sandbox title Terraria, exploring what might have been, and approaching gameplay in a new direction; Terraria: Otherworld represents a novel take on the Terraria experience.

Set in an alternate dimension within the Terraria universe, Terraria: Otherworld places the player in a life-and-death struggle to restore a once-pristine world – now overrun by a malevolent force that has corrupted nature itself – to its original splendor. Along with a rag-tag band of survivors, will you be able to successfully harness the power of an array of weaponry, magic, defenses, and even the world itself to thwart the designs of this unseen evil?

Combining the experience of sandbox gameplay with role-playing and strategy elements, Terraria: Otherworld explores the Terraria experience in an innovative and unique way - providing a fresh approach to the “open world” genre.

To further pique your interest, we put together a brief teaser trailer video based on early Alpha footage.

kdcROYP.png

Terraria: Otherworld is in development for PC & Mac platforms. We are considering PS4 and Xbox One versions, but a final decision has not been made in that regard. We have set up a "Coming Soon" page for Terraria: Otherworld where everyone can stay abreast of the latest and greatest news as the project progresses. We also plan to launch a full site and community for Terraria: Otherworld at a future date/closer to launch. We will share details around that both on the Terraria: Otherworld page as well as here on TCF.

Re-Logic & Engine Software will both be in attendance at the upcoming Game Developers Conference (Expo March 4-6, San Francisco), showcasing Terraria: Otherworld and making ourselves available for Q&A. We plan to share our thoughts and experiences while there - for those interested - via social media and/or a potential blog thread here on TCF. If you plan to be in attendance at GDC, feel free to stop by our booth (#2230)!

For now, please utilize the new Terraria: Otherworld forum section on TCF to discuss the game, news, speculation, and more.

We are also announcing the new Re-Logic Facebook & Twitter accounts. As we expand beyond Terraria, we felt that this was a natural move. Please add these to your list of social media pages to follow!

All of the current links to Terraria: Otherworld news and information are listed below.
divider.png

Terraria: Otherworld Sites & Social Media

Terraria: Otherworld Official Site: TerrariaOtherworld.com

Terraria: Otherworld Facebook Page

Terraria: Otherworld Twitter: @TOW_Game

__________​

Re-Logic Social Media

We hope you will join us in our excitement around this new project and the chance to take the Terraria universe in a fresh direction!

For those that may be concerned about Terraria and the 1.3 update - don't worry a bit. We are still working as feverishly as ever to bring what we think is the most amazing update yet to Terrarians everywhere.

Finally, we wanted to take a minute out to send a personal thank you to each and every one of you - our fans and customers. Without your support, purchases, sharing Terraria with friends, and just overall awesomeness, none of this would be remotely possible. We are greatly looking forward to bringing you a gaming experience that expands upon what you love about Terraria, feels truly different/new, and lives up to the expectations we know each of you have for us. Rest assured that we do not take that responsibility lightly and we cannot wait to delight you once again!

Sincerely,
The Re-Logic Team
You guys are magical. 'nuff said.

OH NO NOT FAILBOUND AGAIN- oh wait.
well, this looks pretty similar to failbound but... um... well.................... err............
*ERROR #4098: memory value not found, skipping current process*
*$334E memory value set to 5F, starting new process...*
Hold on... so is this like a version of Terraria in which you actually have a motive to counter the Corruption? As much as I'm tempted to say "shut up and take my money", I'm going to resist that urge.

Edit: oh, what the hell.
giphy.gif
^ this. just hopin' it doesn't end up like failbound where you have to fight a nearly impossible boss in a nearly impossible unbreakable dungeon AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME in order to get out of the turorial... UGH

Essentially, if you think about it, this is Terraria: Story Mode.
(I know that Terraria had a story mode but this gives off the impression that it's less loose)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom