PC Terraria Player-Swap!

CannedPotato

Retinazer
Let's play a game of Terraria together. And anyone* can join!
*not everyone because pc only, sorry it won't work otherwise
What is going on? I am sure we have all had issues in the past where not everybody in a Terraria game can play at the same time.
So what if we only played one at a time?
Welcome to Player-Swap!

How does it work?
One player will start by creating a player and a world, any type of player and world will do. And give themselves a gold watch to keep the time.
After that, they play on the world for exactly one in-game day, until 4:30AM.
Finally, after playing on the world for that time, they pass the world on in this thread by posting the player and world files!
The next person who wants to play the world downloads the last uploaded player and world data, adds it to their game and plays for another 1 in-game day.
And the cycle continues...

Do you think we can beat Terraria if someone else gets control of the game each new day? Join us and find out!

Before I start with this tutorial, I have never made something like this before. If you have any ideas for ways to format this better, or you know how to do this on a non-windows OS, please let me know and I will edit this to be more helpful.

In summary, Terraria's save data (on Windows) is located in Documents>My games
1697621987570.png

From there you will find two files, worlds and players.
Move the .plr file Player-Swap.plr to the players file
Move the folder named Player-Swap into the player folder as well, this is not needed but it will make sure that you have the map data that the last players had.
1697622245614.png

Finally, move the .wld file Player-SwapWORLD.wld into the worlds folder.
1697622411522.png

After doing all this, your Terraria game should have a new player and world. Have fun!

I'll begin, here is the world and player file on day 1.
If you want, you can write a log of what you did on that day, or you could keep it a mystery...
The world is small and has crimson in it, the difficulty is set to expert and no secret world seeds are active.
Day 1 started at around 8am instead of 4:30, so I had less time to start collecting items.
I grabbed some wood and stone and created a small house for the guide.
I traveled to the left and found a small desert, it looks like the underground desert is just below it.
Further left I found the crimson, and turned back.
I went to the right, but it was also crimson, well that sucks, but there was a cave that I could quickly escape down, but I died to a dart trap.
After that I spent the rest of the day digging down for ores and building up the house.
I found 20 fallen stars but did not use them yet.
Attached is a zip file containing the world, player and map data.

To play, download the files from the zip that I have attached. I can not be sure if people on operating systems other than Windows can do this so try at your own risk, sorry.
When it becomes 4:30AM you are done, save and exit then send the files back in this thread, then the next player will take that world and continue with day 3.
If you miss the exact time of 4:30 it is okay, the player has a golden clock to keep the time with. If you are off by a minute just save and exit there, if you are already very far into the next day just keep playing until the next 4:30, but I personally draw the line at two days, after that you should just download the world again and do it all over.
You can play the world more than once, but I want a variety of people to be playing the world instead of the same 2 people, I might return to do another day after a few others.
Do you want to explore? mine ores? fight bosses? fish for the entire day? the choice is yours. You could even place boulders everywhere... I guess.

Attachments

• Terraria Player-Swap day 1.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Let's have a little faiþ in people. Not everyone online is scum.

Before I start with this tutorial, I have never made something like this before. If you have any ideas for ways to format this better, or you know how to do this on a non-windows OS, please let me know and I will edit this to be more helpful.
I'm running Linux Mint and it should be fairly simple to do on oðer Linux systems too, so I'll help wiþ ðis.
Terraria worlds are always stored in
/home/username/.local/share/Terraria/Worlds and each world consists of 3 files: Name.wld, Name.wld.bak, and Name.wld.bak2.
1697635521045.png

You may have to enable showing hidden files to get to
/.local. You can do ðis by pressing Ctrl+H or clicking View>Show Hidden Files. You can also get to your Terraria folder by looking at your workshop items (texture packs) in game and clicking Show Folder.

I will never ever voluntarily play a Small world again
Literally how do people do this, this is harder than Master mode
Added second floor to house, anvil, and cookpot, Merchant moved in
Wasted all our Fallen Stars on 4 Mana Crystals
Tried to explore left crimson, died
Sold all our food to buy bug net (sorry) and caught worms
Got some of that super hot shadewood
Reached mushroom biome, found life crystal
Died again
Found another life crystal
Found spider nest, died
Wasted our savings on a piggy bank because I kept losing all our money
Began work on the Pumpkin House (continue my legacy)
I was unable to rename the inside folder to Day 2 though

Attachments

• Terraria Player-Swap day 2.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Let's play a game of Terraria together. And anyone* can join!
*not everyone because pc only, sorry it won't work otherwise
What is going on? I am sure we have all had issues in the past where not everybody in a Terraria game can play at the same time.
So what if we only played one at a time?
Welcome to Player-Swap!

How does it work?
One player will start by creating a player and a world, any type of player and world will do. And give themselves a gold watch to keep the time.
After that, they play on the world for exactly one in-game day, until 4:30AM.
Finally, after playing on the world for that time, they pass the world on in this thread by posting the player and world files!
The next person who wants to play the world downloads the last uploaded player and world data, adds it to their game and plays for another 1 in-game day.
And the cycle continues...

Do you think we can beat Terraria if someone else gets control of the game each new day? Join us and find out!

In summary, Terraria's save data (on Windows) is located in Documents>My games
View attachment 433597
From there you will find two files, worlds and players.
Move the .plr file Player-Swap.plr to the players file
Move the folder named Player-Swap into the player folder as well, this is not needed but it will make sure that you have the map data that the last players had.
View attachment 433598
Finally, move the .wld file Player-SwapWORLD.wld into the worlds folder.
View attachment 433599

After doing all this, your Terraria game should have a new player and world. Have fun!

I'll begin, here is the world and player file on day 1.
If you want, you can write a log of what you did on that day, or you could keep it a mystery...
The world is small and has crimson in it, the difficulty is set to expert and no secret world seeds are active.
Day 1 started at around 8am instead of 4:30, so I had less time to start collecting items.
I grabbed some wood and stone and created a small house for the guide.
I traveled to the left and found a small desert, it looks like the underground desert is just below it.
Further left I found the crimson, and turned back.
I went to the right, but it was also crimson, well that sucks, but there was a cave that I could quickly escape down, but I died to a dart trap.
After that I spent the rest of the day digging down for ores and building up the house.
I found 20 fallen stars but did not use them yet.
Attached is a zip file containing the world, player and map data.

To play, download the files from the zip that I have attached. I can not be sure if people on operating systems other than Windows can do this so try at your own risk, sorry.
When it becomes 4:30AM you are done, save and exit then send the files back in this thread, then the next player will take that world and continue with day 3.
If you miss the exact time of 4:30 it is okay, the player has a golden clock to keep the time with. If you are off by a minute just save and exit there, if you are already very far into the next day just keep playing until the next 4:30, but I personally draw the line at two days, after that you should just download the world again and do it all over.
You can play the world more than once, but I want a variety of people to be playing the world instead of the same 2 people, I might return to do another day after a few others.
Do you want to explore? mine ores? fight bosses? fish for the entire day? the choice is yours. You could even place boulders everywhere... I guess.
Ill need to figure how to do this

Yes, I hear all of you. This has actually been something I planned and tested for a few weeks, and one of those parts of planning did involve writing to more experienced TCF users and moderators to make sure that this would be a safe experience. After all the moderation team does not have the time to look through a Terraria world in order to make sure there is no hate speech, abuse or other things that are not on in the forums.
I am currently still waiting to hear back but as the responses are going I would like it if people averted their skepticism for the time.
I ask that files are shared in a zipped folder, in which all of the data can be browsed safely before even decompiling it. I would be seriously impressed if someone hid a virus in a .plr or .wld file, there is no documented history of that ever happening. If for whatever reason something shows up in the zip files it would be noticeable well before being harmful at all.
This makes me proud that the people using this site have a firm idea of proper cybercecurity, but if I am told about potential issues with the idea I would like to hear it from a moderator who is aware of the rules of conduct, or an IT professional who understands how viruses can spread hidden in files. Not just someone saying something can happen.
At the end of the day, if something bad does happen, we can easily trace down when and who caused the issue because the thread will archive all of the previous days.

Thanks for understanding, I hope that we can continue this world now.

How can I participate in that thing?
All you have to do is download the latest world and player files (currently mine, see my above post!) and put them into terraria, everything should be clarified in the OP

After a day passes (around 4:30 AM) quit the world, put all the updated files into the folder instead, and send it back here

Last edited:
Time to go again. This time I had some plans going in.
I think 3 players wait is long enough if someone who has already gone wants to again.
Thanks to everyone so far for playing this dumb idea. Maybe we can fight a boss on day 5?
First thing in the morning I ran to the left and broke 3 crimson hearts, before recalling away like a coward.
I got the undertaker and two crimson hearts, the second one I sold.
I made a silver pickaxe to dig faster.
I started digging a hellevator, it is not done yet but I made good progress into the cavern layer.
I found another flare gun, which I sold.
A magic mirror and some menacing shoe spikes, nice.
I made a platinum bow and fire arrows, this could be helpful for the eye of cthulhu
I placed down some more chests but I am always in a rush and can not get the time to organise them properly.
I helped out a bit with the pumpkin house, building a stem and placing background walls.
I started working on an arena but my time ran out, I started construction on the right side.

Attachments

• Terraria Player-Swap day 4.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
What is the minimum wait time so that you don't get called out for playing too many consecutive days / playing too often?

This is a really neat idea, glad i could be a part of the fun
I went into the mine looking for some boots, but to no avail.
mined enough iron to make a fishing pole and did some fishing, also got us some more bait.
i added to the arena and made some houses(i can't build very well but they function) they are to the left of the pumpkin

Attachments

• Player-Swap day 5.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
-Made a bunch of pumpkin pie
-Upgraded pickaxe to platinum to mine through obsidian
-Found diamond cave
-Died in underground desert
-Crafted Diamond Staff and some silver armor
-Met Golfer
-Found 3 Life Crystals
-Died again
-EoC randomly spawned, it got to 15 hp but I still died due to mobility so low that I couldn't even navigate the arena
-Died due to shoe spikes (don't ask)
-Died close to bast statue?
-Goblin army began approaching the moment I quit

Attachments

• Player-Swap day 7.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom