Terraria State of the Game - July 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loki, how will you fly, attack any move in a direction at the same time with a separate jump button? No one likes claw.

You will have to find your own style, as I have said many times.

It will never be 1:1 vs PC, for example, where you have one hand operating 3-4 discrete commands... and the other operating 3-5. Even a gamepad is utilizing at least 6 discrete commands at your fingertips at one time). So, when you are trying to take that dynamic and fit it into a Mobile dynamic... where you are trying to limit to 2 and AT MOST 3 fingers (or discrete simultaneous commands), you wind up in a spectrum of capability vs simplicity.

Current mobile sacrifices capability for simple. Mobile 1.3 focuses more on capability.

The specific triple-quadruple combination movements you mention (jump-fly-move-aim-fire) are never going to be as simple for all of those reasons. Does that make them impossible? Hardly.

I've personally cleared the game - as have many others - which would be nigh impossible if such movement were as completely difficult as some seem to believe. Is it 1:1 the same as PC? Nope. Is it a bit awkward sometimes? Sure... especially if you try to use the right stick at the same time (personally, I use touchscreen aiming and firing when in this scenario).

"So why don't you just make it like it was"

Because "like it was" was fraught with misclicks, control conflicts (is that up press meaning jump or climb this rope, and lack of capability (looking at you grappling) and so on.

All that said, DR has iterated on the alternate jump (doubletap/swipe on left stick) quite a bit and it is feeling more fluid and reliable now. There are additional plans to dive into this topic further - perhaps weaving in "how leftstick jump works" with the additional customization options being planned for post launch. At launch, though, this is what we have.

I would encourage people to actually give it a try and realize they are going to have to adapt to new ways of doing things vs clinging hard to the old ways.... and to remember that further iterations and customizations are already planned and will only be further informed by seeing how even more people get along with the new ways.

Hope that helps.

Did you just say that you’re discussing a release date? Now you’re getting me more hyped

The user was asking about Split Screen on Switch. :p

The user was asking about Split Screen on Switch. :p
I know!:)The release is soon though for Mobile, and I’m also excited Switch players will get to do split screen multiplayer!
[doublepost=1565274247,1565274064][/doublepost]I’m still wondering what that big announcement MrGameTheory said was going to happen on Discord and when. I’m just so excited for what it is!:happy: It’s also nice how you talked about the controls for Mobile, they look so good!

Last edited:
With the press to jump it looks hard to do multiple things at once, I personally think the up to jump should be a toggled option.

Edit: today’s my birthday!!!

Already explained why that isn't that simple in detail in this thread. Hope that it makes sense.

Happy Birthday :merchantgrin:

When is state of the game August coming out? I’ve waited three years for this update. I’m still so hyped up for the mobile update :dryadgrin::nursesmile:

Usually the state of the game comes out in the last 2 weeks of the month. But if the update becomes ready before then, they might make a thread about it
The August State of the Game is around the 20th of each month which is part of the last 2 weeks of the month , hopefully it has a release date. The will most likely make a thread if the update is ready before the, which I hope it is. I am too been waiting for 3 years and super hyped for the update!

I have another question, Loki: Can you still autoswing almost every weapon, just like in Other Mobile Versions (such as 1.2)?
He said this in a different thread about auto swing.

Attachments

• 86E02DB4-90AA-4F39-BD35-01E421485F65.jpeg
    86E02DB4-90AA-4F39-BD35-01E421485F65.jpeg
    878.7 KB · Views: 165
Will the title screen music for mobile be the same one that’s on PC or the one that’s on current Consoles? I know the title screen music on Consoles are slightly different that PC, so I’m just curious. Either way, the title screen music is pretty epic.:)

Will the title screen music for mobile be the same one that’s on PC or the one that’s on current Consoles? I know the title screen music on Consoles are slightly different that PC, so I’m just curious. Either way, the title screen music is pretty epic.:)
Yes you can check it out on Terraria Mobile 1.3 stream video on Re Logic YouTube channel ;)

@Cenx, something I'd love to see in 1.4, and I imagine it's fairly minor: Directionality on statues, like we have with chairs? i.e. If a skeleton statue faces left, you can make it face right? If I had to guess, you could just give it the same mechanism that chair placement uses for this. I mean, I'd love to see this on all furniture, but statues are the one example that really stands out, since they exist for the purpose of looking cool (and, in some cases, continuously dropping monsters into lava so we can get rich).

There's a good chance I'm @ing the wrong person with this, and if so, I apologize. I figured it was worth a shot, though. I'm really looking forward to 1.4, and this seemed like a simple QoL suggestion that I'm sure a lot of other people would appreciate, and seems easy enough to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom