Terraria VS Terraria: Overworld

GryphonKingBros

Skeletron Prime
Now everyone knows how Re-logic has a cool new edition of Terraria in development, Terraria: Overworld and Everyone knows how Terraria 1.3 is the latest and most likely last version of Terraria. This is something mainly pointed towards Re-Logic staff (If they want to answer this for me) but I still want you guys to share your opinions.

Terraria has kinda fell off Re-Logic's shelf of focused projects and they're more focused on original brand new games other than Terraria and Terraria: Overworld. Yes there was the 1.3.1 update, but that was just to add more stuff to the wired tools in Terraria. So if there's not gonna be a 1.4, is Terraria Classic being abandoned? I haven't gone farther than the three mechanical bosses and I would rather expect something new waiting for me to try once I make it to the end of 1.3, but is there nothing waiting for me? I'm serious. Re-Logic, please explain...

My Opinion? Who cares. Games end. I learned this back with ut04.

But we're talking about Terraria; the game with 13 bosses (*14 if you count the four lunar event pillars), hundreds of items and enemies, and takes about six months to finish. You wanna take this outside, bruh?

Last edited:
It's been confirmed that 1.3 isn't the last update, I think it was just the last one that Red worked on. We might get a 1.4, although I have my doubts about getting a 1.5 since Terraria 2 is supposedly going to be a thing someday. Terraria's going to stop getting updates eventually (heck, the original plan was for it to end like 4 years ago but clearly that didn't happen), but for now there's no reason to worry about Terraria stopping.

I was vocally against the release of Otherworld. I felt like it would split the Terraria fanbase, and instead of this big pool of players talking about and celebrating one game, we would have half as much focused on each. Or perhaps two thirds on one, and the last on the other; It's doubtful Overworld can live up to it's predecessor, even while openly copypasting elements. It's too late to stop the thing now, but it would be better if the game was a pure adventure and not just another Terraria with more indieart and less substance.

I was vocally against the release of Otherworld. I felt like it would split the Terraria fanbase, and instead of this big pool of players talking about and celebrating one game, we would have half as much focused on each. Or perhaps two thirds on one, and the last on the other; It's doubtful Overworld can live up to it's predecessor, even while openly copypasting elements. It's too late to stop the thing now, but it would be better if the game was a pure adventure and not just another Terraria with more indieart and less substance.

No doubt that Terraria OW won't be as good as Terraria OG, but still there's the possibility that Terraria OG will just end after 1.3/1.4 and then all focuses will be put towards terraria ow and other games by Re-Logic. Terraria OG might just fade away, only to be played by those who want to know what Terraria OG was like compared to Terraria OW or just want to relive the experience. Thanks for noticing my discussion btw.

Yes there was the 1.3.1 update, but that was just to add more stuff to the wired tools in Terraria. So if there's not gonna be a 1.4, is Terraria Classic being abandoned? I haven't gone farther than the three mechanical bosses and I would rather expect something new waiting for me to try once I make it to the end of 1.3, but is there nothing waiting for me? I'm serious. Re-Logic, please explain...
I do believe they've confirmed 1.3 is going to be the last major content update. They will still be doing small stuff now and again (i.e. 1.3.1 and so on), but I don't think they'll keep adding a whole lot of big changes at once that would warrant a version change to 1.4... I mean, if they DID, I would be pleasantly surprised, but it's unlikely. Game development ends with every game, and Terraria Classic's had a good run. Also, there almost certainly won't be Post-1.3-Endgame content, as the Moon Lord is very specifically billed as the "Final Boss of Terraria".

Also, to be on topic, I find comparing the two games is just as pointless an endeavour as comparing Terraria to Starbound or Minecraft. The only difference here is it's under the same brand. Super Mario 64 was very different from Super Mario World, so by that logic they can change as much as they like. Different developers, somewhat different goals for the game, and it doesn't seem to be hyping itself up to be the next Terraria. They call it a spinoff, and that's exactly what it is. Terraria 2, Red's project, will literally be the next Terraria, assuming it is still happening (haven't heard ANYTHING about it in a while.)

they will probably announce that terraria is ending when otherworld, but I think otherworld is set up to be just as good (or better) than terraria, and terraria is re-logic's biggest creation, and they don't want to completely end it, just preserve it in another form, and that's otherworld. But just because terraria may stop having updates, doesn't mean it will be less popular, and you should stop playing it, I mean some games didn't even have a second update, and even the ones that do usually come in the form of dlc that costs money, so in that respect we'vebeen lucky to have all the updates so far. But I am extremely exited for otherworld, and I hope it will be released soon.

I'm surprised how many people here have forgotten that the two games share none of the same developers, it's a completely separate team, and it's not taking anything at all away from the main Terraria game.
If you have seen the trailers for OW you should know it does. Everything looks to act similar, mechanically, just with different art style, and a refocus of the game.

If you have seen the trailers for OW you should know it does. Everything looks to act similar, mechanically, just with different art style, and a refocus of the game.
And how exactly does that mean the game is slowing down the original or changing the original in any way? Because it's not.

I believe what he meant was more along the lines of "since they have different devs, Otherworld won't take away Terraria's development team's time and resources", not that it isn't trying to be similar to Terraria. If the Terraria team makes slower, fewer, or no updates, Otherworld will almost certainly not be the reason.

image.jpeg

Hm I would actually prefer Terraria.

And how exactly does that mean the game is slowing down the original or changing the original in any way? Because it's not.
Though the fanbase, which for some is an integral part of the Terraria experience. I would not have had such a good time with Terraria since 2011 if I had not had anyone to share it with.

Though the fanbase, which for some is an integral part of the Terraria experience. I would not have had such a good time with Terraria since 2011 if I had not had anyone to share it with.
Unless the game is exactly the same, I highly doubt everyone will ditch Terraria for Otherworld.
People are in fact capable of enjoying multiple games in a series at the same time.
For example, some people still play Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, despite the fact that they are very similar in many ways, and even after the release of Fallout 4, which was very different than the other two but still recognizable as a Post-3 Fallout.
Yes, I'm sure the initial hype on release will cause a lot of people to play Otherworld nonstop for a while (just like Fallout 4), but many will eventually come back to Terraria, because it isn't the same game. Similar, yes, same title, yes, but it won't give people the Terraria experience, it will give them the Terraria: Otherworld experience. Terraria is still a very good game on it's own, a very young (comparatively) game, and I doubt the release of a new side-installment will overshadow it in any way. The fanbase who love Terraria will not stop loving Terraria because Otherworld popped into existence.

[doublepost=1464954278,1464953712][/doublepost]The point I'm making here is that Terraria OG is the Original while Terraria OW is a new revised version of Terraria that is being developed. Terraria OG is not being developed as much anymore. All focus could be put onto Terraria OW or other games by Re-Logic like Pixel Piracy. If thats true, Terraria OG would die off along with the fanbase surrounding that game and gamers who would play that game expecting more updates (Ex: Me) and it would just end up like games by Valve like Portal 1 and 2, the Half-Life Series, Left 4 Dead, or even much more abandoned games such as Alien Swarm. I just don't want to see Re-Logic turn into the 2D Side Scrolling Pixel Version of Valve/Steam. Make a game, Enjoy it, Make another game, Throw the old one away, loose fanbase, Move on, Update only that new game, All games abandoned, fanbase and profit drops, therefore company dies. (If you've lived with Valve throughout your life, you'll know what I mean with TF2 and other games by Valve)

I love Re-Logic's 2D pixel games and I don't want the company to turn into Valve or even worse, act out the same scenario with Minecraft as Notch sold it to Microsoft and the game became more complex for newer players and harder to master therefore loosing fanbase and profits that way. (Which I don't believe Re-Logic is going to sell Terraria to the hell awful people who created the Windows Phone ;-; )

I'm not trying to start an arguement here, I want to get information from Re-Logic's staff if I can. (*COUGH COUGH* RE-LOGIC *COUGH COUGH* TALKING TO YOU *COUGH COUGH*)

[doublepost=1464954278,1464953712][/doublepost]The point I'm making here is that Terraria OG is the Original while Terraria OW is a new revised version of Terraria that is being developed. Terraria OG is not being developed as much anymore. All focus could be put onto Terraria OW or other games by Re-Logic like Pixel Piracy. If thats true, Terraria OG would die off along with the fanbase surrounding that game and gamers who would play that game expecting more updates (Ex: Me) and it would just end up like games by Valve like Portal 1 and 2, the Half-Life Series, Left 4 Dead, or even much more abandoned games such as Alien Swarm. I just don't want to see Re-Logic turn into the 2D Side Scrolling Pixel Version of Valve/Steam. Make a game, Enjoy it, Make another game, Throw the old one away, loose fanbase, Move on, Update only that new game, All games abandoned, fanbase and profit drops, therefore company dies. (If you've lived with Valve throughout your life, you'll know what I mean with TF2 and other games by Valve)

I love Re-Logic's 2D pixel games and I don't want the company to turn into Valve or even worse, act out the same scenario with Minecraft as Notch sold it to Microsoft and the game became more complex for newer players and harder to master therefore loosing fanbase and profits that way. (Which I don't believe Re-Logic is going to sell Terraria to the hell awful people who created the Windows Phone ;-; )

I'm not trying to start an arguement here, I want to get information from Re-Logic's staff if I can. (*COUGH COUGH* RE-LOGIC *COUGH COUGH* TALKING TO YOU *COUGH COUGH*)

Though I could be wrong, it looks like you're implying that any game that gets finished is being "abandoned" if people want more. If a game is completed, stable, has an adequate end, and has accomplished all the developers have promised, the developers are not and should not be obligated to create any more content for that game whatsoever and should feel free to move on to another project, even if it's <game_title> 2.

Terraria, although there are still plenty of little things that could be added to it (which they seem to be doing), is only becoming more and more adequately completed. You are absolutely not entitled to a lifetimes worth of new content constantly being pushed out for the rest of the developers life (unless the game in question happens to be Dwarf Fortress). If you buy a book, you shouldn't be expecting the writer to ship constant additional chapters to you because you want more story; the book is done and if they do add more chapters, they're more than likely going to be in <book_title> 2.

Terraria has kinda fell off Re-Logic's shelf of focused projects and they're more focused on original brand new games other than Terraria and Terraria: Overworld. Yes there was the 1.3.1 update, but that was just to add more stuff to the wired tools in Terraria. So if there's not gonna be a 1.4, is Terraria Classic being abandoned? I haven't gone farther than the three mechanical bosses and I would rather expect something new waiting for me to try once I make it to the end of 1.3, but is there nothing waiting for me? I'm serious. Re-Logic, please explain...
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know Terraria wasn't being updated anymore after, what was it, 1.1? And that's a developer's right, game's done, moving on.
For some reason Re-Logic climbed back into the saddle about a year later and gave us an incredible amount of new content in 1.2. We've been spoiled for years with lots of updates since then.
Realise that it's absolutely amazing that a developer is even doing a thing such as this. Developers who just keep creating more and more content for a years old game, free of charge, well, you don't see that often. Indeed, it's an absolute rarity and possibly borderline unique.

How lucky we've been so far, ofcourse there'll be a day when this stops. Will Terraria be abandoned? No, the game would just be finished.
Will there be nothing new waiting for you in Terraria? Maybe not, but we've been spoiled so bloody much over the years, can you really expect them to keep making new content for years to come?
Try and play Terraria 1.1 or watch videos of it. Imagine the WoF was the last boss. No hardmode, no hallow, no hardmode bosses, no invasions, no moon events, a lacking enemy variety, lack of certain biomes, less npc's, only a fraction of items that exist today...
It's only natural that the Terraria chapter in the great book of Re-Logic will come to an end some day, but whether that happens tomorrow or in a few years, nothing can change the fact that we've been spoiled and pampered.

Also, something new DOES await you in the Terraria universe. But to find out what that is you'll have to travel to an other world. :)

Back
Top Bottom