The best and simplest Lucky Coin money farms

dinochess14

Terrarian
The Mechanics of Lucky Coin farms
Using the lucky coin to farm money with an AFK farm is nothing new, it has been popularized for years, with a redesign being done after 1.4 change the AI for aquatic enemies. You will usually see an AFK money farm being using Arapaimas, using a slime staff to hit each enemy 5 times a second. This design has been used for a while, but I have come up with some major improvements to the standard design.

The Lucky Coin
The Lucky Coin is dropped by pirates in the Pirate Invasion and will cause extra coins to drop when hitting enemies. Many of you are already familiar with the Lucky Coin but I will briefly go over some specifics, all of which are covered on the wiki anyway. Anytime you hit an enemy that normally drops coins there is a 1 in 5 chance to drop extra coins. This chance is not affected by luck. If the 1 in 5 roll succeeds the type of coin will be chosen. It defaults to copper coins, with a 10% chance to change it to silver coins, and a 1% chance to change it to gold coins. These rolls are not mutually exclusive, so there is a (0.1 * 0.99) 9.9% chance to be a silver coin, a 1% chance for a gold coin, and a (1 - .109) 89.1% chance to be a copper coin. The amount of coins is then determined, being anywhere from 1 to 10 coins with an equal probability for each number, or an average of 5.5 coins every time. Knowing this we can calculate the average value of each hit with a Lucky Coin equipped. Using silver coins as a base unit we change 0.891 copper coins to 0.00891 silver coins, .099 silver coins stays the same, and the 0.01 gold coins becomes 1 silver coin, for a total of 1.10791. We multiply this by the average of 5.5 coins each time, and divide by the 1 in 5 chance to have coins drop. Rounded up this becomes an average of 1 silver coin and 22 copper coins every time an enemy is hit. We will use this value of 1.22 silver coins when analyzing the effectiveness of different farms. When using the Lucky Coin in farms make sure to either combine it with a Gold Ring to make a Coin Ring for the increased pickup range or just use a Treasure Magnet to allow you to grab all the coins.
The enemies
Arapaimas have been used for some very important reasons, firstly that they are easy to consistently spawn. When in the jungle biome and the game spawns an enemy in the water, it will be an Arapaima 2/3 of the time. Arapaimas also take up less than a full NPC slot, which is very important. There can only be 15 NPC slots filled during normal circumstances, only being bypassed by certain events and by the For The Worthy seed bonus to enemy spawnrate and maximum NPCs. Since Arapaimas take up 1/2 of a slot you can have 30 Arapaimas active at a time, which means the Slime minion gets (30 * 5) 150 hits per second. Using our average of 1.22 silver coins per hit this means an average of 1 gold 83 silver every second. The last reason is their large health pool, on Master mode they have 600 health, which means each Arapaima is worth 600 hits as long as the Slime minion does 1 damage per hit. Using our average of 1.22 silver coins this means that every time an Arapaima spawns it is worth 7 gold and 32 silver. How fast the enemies die depend on the minions or other attacks used. Using a convenient guesstimate of 1 enemy spawning every second, which is not too unrealistic with spawnrate boosts, we want to be dealing a total DPS as close as possible to the maximum health of the enemies. If it is above the total health pool then the bottleneck will be not enough enemies spawning, if below then the bottleneck will be how fast we can get hits in. If we never go above 600 hits per second there is no reason to use anything other than Arapaima, but if we do cross the 600 mark then it would be more efficient to use another enemy, more specifically another enemy that takes up 1/2 of an NPC slot or less, has consistent spawning, and has more than 600 health. There are a few enemies that could be used, but by far the easiest is the Black Recluse, which has a 90% chance of spawning if in front of a natural spider wall, and will be replaced by a Wall Creeper the other 10% of the time.

The Minions
The most popular minion used in Lucky Coin farms is by far the Slime minion. It is very consistent, but there is a problem with it. The Slime minions use static immunity frames, which means that one Slime minion will keep any additional Slime minions from hitting the same target. The Slime minion also has an immunity time of 12 ticks, which means it can only hit 5 times a second. With 30 enemies this means 150 DPS which means the enemies spawning in is not the issue, in order to be more efficient we need to get more hits in. Another option is the Vampire Frog minion, which can get slightly more hits in on its own if it is consistently hitting all the enemies. The Vampire Frog also uses static immunity frames, but it has a cooldown of only 10 ticks, meaning it can hit 6 times every second. The Flinx minion is the same, using static immunity with a cooldown of 10 ticks. Using all three of these minions with each one hitting the maximum number of times per second you get a total of 17 hits per second, which with 30 enemies is 510 hits per second, using 1.22 silver coins as an average we get an average of around 2 gold 7 silver per second. There is another summon we can use however, the Finch minion, which unlike all the other minions uses local immunity frames, meaning one Finch will not keep additional Finches from hitting the same target. There are a couple downsides however, the Finch hits slower than all the other minions, having a cooldown of 15 ticks, or only 4 hits every second. The major dealbreaker though is just how bad the Finch AI is. For the other minions you can more or less just put them in a box with the enemies and they will perform just fine, not so with the Finch though. The Finch loves to fly around its target, repeatedly missing it, even while it is perfectly stationary, and even if it could reliably hit the target the movement of the Finch would drastically reduce the number of hits per second. The Finch does have a redeeming feature though, it collides with blocks, or at least it does under specific conditions. If the player has a clear line of sight to the Finch's target the Finch will be stopped by blocks in its path, making the Finch stand perfectly still. This means that as long as we can make the Finch stationary, all we have to do is make the enemies run into the Finch for more hits per second than any other minion on its own. With 6 minion slots (Spider armor + Pygmy Necklace + Bewitching Table) we can use a Slime, a Flinx, a Frog, and 3 Finches, leading to a total of 29 hits per second. If we can have all these minions concentrated in one spot with 30 enemies we will have a total of 870 hits per second, or 10 gold 61 silver per second. Note that this is also more than the health of an Arapaima, which means that Black Recluses will be more efficient.

The optimized farm
The basics
Knowing that the most efficient farm would use Black Recluses and Finches all we need is a build that will cause Finches to stay still and cause Black Recluses to stand right on top of the Finches. After some experimenting I came up with the following.
1675641910789.png
The two sloped blocks in the front allow the spider to crawl in but not come back out, the sloped block in the back keeps the finches in one place. An enemy from a statue is used as the target for the Finches, if they are targeting the statue enemy and placed with the spiders they will be stopped by the blocks.
Spiders getting stuck
Finches trapped in the blocks
Finches and spiders

Any statue with an enemy that does not teleport, turn invincible (Granite Golem), change states (Wall Creeper from wall form to ground form), phase through walls, or shoot projectiles should work, Blood Zombie, Armed Zombie, Undead Viking, and Skeleton Statues all work very nicely. Simply right click the statue enemy with a summon weapon and then summon the Finches on the other side of the blocks. I believe there is also a distance requirement from either the Finch or the player to the statue enemy, I noticed it would not work when the statue was too close but I do not know the exact distance where the Finch will not get stuck on the blocks properly. Using this simple design we can create a basic enemy farm very quickly.
Making the basic farm
As with all farms I highly recommend making the farm in pre-Hardmode if you are planning to use it once you get the Lucky Coin. Mining and building in pre-Hardmode is so much easier than trying to do it in Hardmode with the tougher enemies. To start, simply clear out a large area (minimum 168 horizontal by 94 vertical) in the Cavern layer, removing a Mushroom biome with Gravedigger's Shovel and mining gear or simply using explosives is the quickest way. Mark a spot in the middle as the spot where you will be standing, Ice Rod is very helpful for placing blocks in midair. I used the left side as the side that spawns enemies but you can easily mirror the setup and use the right side. On the side that you want to spawn enemies place a row of blocks at the same height you will be standing, make sure they reach at least 84 blocks to the side, Binoculars and the ruler tool or the Kwad Racer Drone if you are post-Plantera are both very helpful for measuring longer distances. Make sure to place a layer of lava below the farm to prevent unwanted enemies from spawning. Place Infested Spider Walls (Throw Spider walls into Shimmer) behind the layer of blocks. Here I use a simple gate with actuators to prevent spiders from entering when I do not want them to.

1675643579432.png

1675644092433.png
In order to maximize spawnrates I always use an artificial Underground Desert biome, which requires placing 1500 Sand, Hardened Sand, or Sandstone blocks nearby, as well as any of the walls behind the player. Make sure to use the walls crafted in a Graveyard and not the walls obtained from Shimmering the crafted walls. If you do not want to place 1500 blocks you can simply use an artificial Jungle biome, which does not increase spawnrates quite as much but it is still a significant increase. To make an artificial Jungle biome you just need 140 Jungle tiles nearby, which could be Jungle grass/Jungle plants, Hive Blocks, or Lihzahrd Bricks. Make sure to place a Water Candle down as well as a Bewitching Table for the extra minion slot. Once you have the farm built simply equip the summoner gear (Spider armor and Pygmy Necklace), the Lucky Coin/Coin Ring, the Treasure Magnet/Hand of Creation if you do not have the Gold Ring, summon the enemy from the statue, place all your minions (1 Slime, 1 Flinx, 1 Frog, 3 Finches) in the sloped blocks, and let the spiders come in. Initial testing of the basic farm was around 280 Platinum Coins an hour when using all the minions. When using just 6 Finches it was around 250 Platinum Coins an hour. For comparison the money farms most commonly used can produce 120 Platinum Coins in an hour if everything is optimized, this is with a 15-20 minute build, decidedly unoptimized.
1675644576448.png
1675644705826.png

Making the optimized farm

Optimizing the farm is simply minimizing the time it takes for the spiders to get in the right place, which we can do with teleporters and hoiks. Setting it up does take more work than the basic farm, but the effort is rewarded. In ten minutes with 6 minion slots the current version of the optimized farm got around 56.5 Platinum Coins, which would be around 340 an hour, or 60 more an hour than the basic farm. Whether or not its worth it for all the extra wiring and placing walls depends on how much use you're going to get get out of the farm.
image.png
image.png

image.png

The farm went through quite a lot of changes, trying different methods until I found one that worked exactly as I wanted it to, the teleporters are placed 3 blocks below the block the spiders spawn on, and the receiving teleporter instantly kicks them up a block to avoid any double teleports, which was a big issue in previous designs. There are still a few double teleports that are caused by the spacing of the teleporters, but with the width of the spiders it is hard to avoid overlap, you could potentially make a version with only certain areas the spiders spawn in, but whether or not its worth it is debatable. The order you hook the teleporters to the receiving teleporters should not matter. I used Fireworks Boxes to trigger them every two ticks, but you could just use two 1/4 Second Timers and be just as well off. You can even hook all 8 teleporters to the closest teleporter to minimize the time it takes for the spiders to reach the kill-spot, it does sometimes teleport the spiders there and back again like Mr. Bilbo, but if you're activating them frequently it should still be faster than having multiple exits. Using the teleporter order of operations it may be possible to devise a system where it always teleports correctly, I'm not sure. The conveyor belts really aren't needed, I used them to try and pick up the coins a bit faster but they did not seem to do much if anything, you can just replace them with regular blocks. The farm does actually break in multiplayer when using too many minions because the item limit is hit before you can pick the coins up, so it hurts the AFK ability of it but if you use it in singleplayer you can push it even further. With 10 minion slots you can reach 400 platinum per hour, and if you use 10 minion slots on a For The Worthy world you can actually reach 600 platinum an hour due to all the boosts to enemy spawnrate, max enemies, and enemy health.

Fireworks Boxes make handy timers since a firework projectile moves at exactly half a block per tick. This means that if you have multiple Teal Pressure Pads lined up above the Fireworks Box like shown there will be two ticks between each pressure pad being activated. It does take 1 tick for the firework to reach the first pressure pad, but this can be changed by putting the Fireworks Box in 3 blocks of water as shown, which will slow the firework down enough to make it take 2 ticks to reach the first pressure pad, which is very convenient for looping timers. Fireworks Boxes can only be activated by wire every half second or 30 ticks, so in order to make it loop you have to use at least 30 ticks or 15 blocks of the first firework fired. I used Fireworks Boxes to activate my teleporters, but you can use any method, 1/4 Second Timers work just fine.
Capture_2023-02-08_21_12_37.png

Summary of average coin gain per hour
Basic farm (no teleporters/hoiks) with 6 Finches: 250 Platinum/hour
Basic farm (no teleporters/hoiks) with 1 Slime, 1 Frog, 1 Flinx, 3 Finches: 280 Platinum/hour
Optimized farm with Slime, Frog, Flinx, 3 Finches: 340 Platinum/hour
Optimized farm with Slime, Frog, Flinx, 5 finches: 381 Platinum/hour
Optimized farm with Slime, Frog, Flinx, 7 Finches: 405 Platinum/hour
Optimized farm with Slime, Frog, Flinx, 7 Finches on For The Worthy: 600 Platinum/hour

Alternate setups

As far as the hoiks go I will show some of the previous versions just for the sake of it. The version shown directly below was made by ARK | Quasar#6944 on the Terraria discord server and instantly kicks the spiders into the final spot. Something like this could be faster than the previous build by a couple ticks per spider. The other two builds are the main builds previously featured on this post in case you want to look at the older versions of the farm.

2023-02-08_00_09_02_black_recluse_farm_v4.png

Hoik version by Quasar

1675649507372.png
1675649370650.png

1675649457777.png
1675650797045.png

1675651817075.png

Last edited:
This is amazing, I was recently trying to optimise a lucky coin farm but got no where near as far. I would always have problems with the enemies picking up the coins themselves and I felt I was making way less money because of this.

For teleporting enemies away I feel a 2 tick timer is necessary over a 1/4 second timer as with a 1/4 second timer some spiders may crawl out of the teleporting zone before being teleported. Also your 2 tick timer is very interesting and was wondering why you didn't use a simpler dummy engine two tick timer.

Amazing farm literally speechless. Glad some people are just as interested in making farms as me!!

Although it kind of ruins the point of the farm, a 2 player farm could have massive increases in efficiency. As with one player you wouldn't be limited by the maximum spawn limit and could have like 100 spiders in one spot. Also kind of off topic- with this same strategy one can get 200 antilons in one place for an ultimate sand farm.

Friends, special thanks to Quasar for hooking me up with the .wld file.

I've attached the schematic if y'all want to import it into your world(s).

Attachments

• coinfarm.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 894
Friends, special thanks to Quasar for hooking me up with the .wld file.

I've attached the schematic if y'all want to import it into your world(s).
Hello, I am sorry to bother. Would it be possible to get a quick explanation on how to open and apply the schematic to my worlds?

Wouldn't a graveyard biome increase the spawnrates?
it could make the farm more efficient
It does not, I am not sure why the wiki says Graveyards increase spawnrates, I have not been able to find any mention of that in the code, the only effect Graveyards appear to have on spawnrates is decreasing them when near town NPCs. As far as making the farm more efficient it is already at the maximum spawnrate (1/60) when using the underground desert biome with water candles.

It does not, I am not sure why the wiki says Graveyards increase spawnrates, I have not been able to find any mention of that in the code, the only effect Graveyards appear to have on spawnrates is decreasing them when near town NPCs. As far as making the farm more efficient it is already at the maximum spawnrate (1/60) when using the underground desert biome with water candles.
Spawn rates can't be increased beyond their hard cap. If your farm wasn't already at max spawns, then maybe a graveyard biome would increase the spawn rates.
Unfortunately, lucky coin no longer works on statue spawned enemies, not even in multiplayer (used to work until about 3 months ago), so there seems to be no way to further increase the number of enemies. What can be done is using a multiplayer world and creating multiple characters each having a separate farm. Leave 8 players afking overnight and see what happens.
Problem is, this design doesn't work well in multiplayer due inherent game glitches and desync issues, rendering all hoik and teleporter designs unstable. Mobs can phase through blocks and kill the player. So, you would have to revert to your basic unoptimized design, which still works, but at a reduced performance, 200-250 plat / hour. Still, 8 players x200 x 8 hours = 12,800 platinum :)

Hi,
I made the optimised farm, in a legendary difficulty world (for the worthy + master), and was wondering if there was a way to stop bats from spawning. Would the only solution be to place walls everywhere? I have done this on a large section, and I find that some mobs still spawn there naturally. Also, what were the torches used? Thank you very much!

Hi,
I made the optimised farm, in a legendary difficulty world (for the worthy + master), and was wondering if there was a way to stop bats from spawning. Would the only solution be to place walls everywhere? I have done this on a large section, and I find that some mobs still spawn there naturally. Also, what were the torches used? Thank you very much!
You must have some blocks without cobwebs behind them where mobs can spawn. The key is leaving ONLY those tiles that have infested cobwebs behind them and making sure nothing else can spawn outside the spider zone. Just follow the NPC spawn requirements to check your farm.

me reading this whole thing going

… But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger, and that feels so rough
No, you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that, though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
… Now you're just somebody that I used to know

me reading this whole thing going

… But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger, and that feels so rough
No, you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that, though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know
Hi there @Claire is memed welcome to the forum. :)

As you’re new here, you may not realize that more of a discussion that is related to the topic is needed when you are posting in a thread. Just posting random song lyrics isn’t suitable. Something to keep in mind if you decide to post again.

Please take a moment to go over our Important - Terrarian Community Rules & Culture - PLEASE READ If you’re looking for more informal spots to chat you can consider…
Just a reminder that spam isn’t allowed in any of these places. :)

Hi there @Claire is memed welcome to the forum. :)

As you’re new here, you may not realize that more of a discussion that is related to the topic is needed when you are posting in a thread. Just posting random song lyrics isn’t suitable. Something to keep in mind if you decide to post again.

Please take a moment to go over our Important - Terrarian Community Rules & Culture - PLEASE READ If you’re looking for more informal spots to chat you can consider…
Just a reminder that spam isn’t allowed in any of these places. :)
jeez sorry :(

Wouldn’t blade staff be more efficient? With 6 flying knives you’d be getting 24 hits per second because each knife has custom immunity frames for 4 hits per second even with ignoring 25 defense using the manic version deals one damage to the recluse

Last edited:
Wouldn’t blade staff be more efficient? With 6 flying knives you’d be getting 24 hits per second because each knife has custom immunity frames for 4 hits per second even with ignoring 25 defense using the manic version deals one damage to the recluse
Finch staff also has 4 hits per second, but blade staff cannot be controlled as precisely as the finches.

Hey guys. I can’t get this to work properly. Got the spawn area set up. Up to 30 spiders spawning (and some bats, don’t know why) and the spiders get trapped in the small cave. What does not work are the finches. When I activate the ghoul and start spawning the finches in the cave by the spiders they rush through the wall and kill the ghoul. I read the guide and it says that the finches won’t go through walls when the enemy is in line of sight. So far my understanding is that they are supposed to target the ghoul while passively hitting the spiders. And because the ghoul is in line of sight of me they can’t reach him? One sentence stated that I have to right click the statue or ghoul? I’m on console so I don’t know what’s the goal here and how to achieve this on the Xbox. I have an option for target lock and by this I can make the ghoul be highlighted by three yellow arrows.
What am I missing or how do I do it with a controller?
Thanks?

I’m on console so I don’t know what’s the goal here and how to achieve this on the Xbox. I have an option for target lock and by this I can make the ghoul be highlighted by three yellow arrows.
I have heard that targeting on other platforms can make this method not work, but from what you said with the finches rushing through the wall that part seems to be working. You said youre targeting a ghoul, how did you set that up? Are you able to maintain line of sight like shown in the image? How close are you to the ghoul? Try moving the ghoul a few blocks away to see if the finches still rush through the wall.
1683078209476.png

I have heard that targeting on other platforms can make this method not work, but from what you said with the finches rushing through the wall that part seems to be working. You said youre targeting a ghoul, how did you set that up? Are you able to maintain line of sight like shown in the image? How close are you to the ghoul? Try moving the ghoul a few blocks away to see if the finches still rush through the wall.
View attachment 405916
Thanks for your reply. I think I got this to work. The key was that I had to target the ghoul with a minion weapon with the button „B“. After doing that the ghoul got a white circle as a tag for the minions I think. Spawning the finches afterwards kept the finches at the spiders.
Now I have to find out why bats are still spawning and occasionally some Mummies on the 1500 sandblocks. I did not quite understood the spawning requirements. Inwas very careful to remove all background in the area but it’s hard to measure long distances pre plantera.

Back
Top Bottom