Weapons & Equip The Biome Weapon issue.

I've never obtained Vampire Knives in my life outside of collecting items for Journey Mode (I pretty much exclusively play corruption worlds) but this is kind of making me want to try them.

I've never obtained Vampire Knives in my life outside of collecting items for Journey Mode (I pretty much exclusively play corruption worlds) but this is kind of making me want to try them.
There’s a reason they’re almost unanimously considered the best sidearm (and possibly weapon) in the entire game by balance experts ;)

Well guess what?
That’s how much vampire knives heal
They heal 30 hp every second
30 times 5 seconds is 150.
They give you a greater healing potion every 5 seconds.
Ok, thats TOO overpowered. But they already nerfed it a lot so I dont know How can they balance it

Ok, thats TOO overpowered. But they already nerfed it a lot so I dont know How can they balance it
They can simply nerf it down to 5 hp/second or lower. 5 hp/s is still a greater healing potion every 30 seconds, and with the burst cap in play you don’t need to be constantly using it to benefit from it that much.

They can simply nerf it down to 5 hp/second or lower. 5 hp/s is still a greater healing potion every 30 seconds, and with the burst cap in play you don’t need to be constantly using it to benefit from it that much.
5hp/s is enough honestly

Vampire knives are the only reason I don't play Corruption, they're still overpowered for post-ML Calamity bosses...

This is by far the worst Terraria channel you could get information from, Sockrteez puts next to no information into his videos, has been blatantly wrong countless times (calling Flying Dragon bad for Crowd control, or infamously claiming Sky Fracture can pierce... IN THE VERY VIDEO DEDICATED TO IT), and above everything has been very immature when corrected in the comments for these videos, shrugging off valid criticism and even deleting messages and proceeding to :red:talk those who posted them.

Sockrteez represents one of the worst sides of youtube and you'd do good to never watch his videos again.
Wanna mention how on his pirate staff review when comparing it to the blade staff he was using the firecracker, the :red: firecracker, you don’t even need deep knowledge of the game to know that blade staff (or any fast hitting, low damage minion) + fire cracker is bad. It’s just “firecraker explosion depends on minion damage, if minion damage = low, then firecracker not good with it”. It’s not rocket science I don’t get it.

(Btw he called pirate staff a cheese method for The Destroyer)

Edit: Renember how he also calls vampire knifes “overrated”, even though most of this thread is talking on how broken vampire knifes are?

Last edited:
Edit: Renember how he also calls vampire knifes “overrated”, even though most of this thread is talking on how broken vampire knifes are?
He doesn't understand the logistics of how :red:ing broken the healing is since he only sees Vampire Knives on a very skewed idea of them needing to have good dps to be a good weapon, 30hp/s is ludicrously strong and the knives themselves have fine dps that you're able to easily fix via things Melee already has access to like Sharpening Stone and Ichor (WHICH IS A CRIMSON WORLD DEBUFF).

He doesn't understand the logistics of how :red:ing broken the healing is since he only sees Vampire Knives on a very skewed idea of them needing to have good dps to be a good weapon, 30hp/s is ludicrously strong and the knives themselves have fine dps that you're able to easily fix via things Melee already has access to like Sharpening Stone and Ichor (WHICH IS A CRIMSON WORLD DEBUFF).
Wanna mention how he calls scourge of the corruptor “the best biome weapon“ when it’s outclassed in dps, crowd control, aim and avability by the terrablade.

Or another example. On his frost hydra staff video he says how the dps barely increases when summoning more than one (you expected him to talk about it’s I-frames issues?). Though if im honest I think sentries don’t really work in Terraria.

stormbow couldnt beat the allegations but i am not letting my funny healing knives get slandered and libeled when the only thing they dared to do was heal you in a game where next to nothing else heals you

vampire knives are strong and it's okay that they are strong because things in video games can be broken sometimes.
there will never be a perfect balance, but a perfect imbalance can exist. the discussion about them wouldn't really have room to exist if you didn't have to effectively choose "do i want vampire knives or do i want to ignore one of my biome chests"

the main issue is fundamentally that healing is otherwise extremely limited, which gives them a use case that otherwise cannot be contested outside of spectre healing set or deciding you want to autoaim life drain at something while questioning your life decisions

these are all drops that you aren't even guaranteed to actually see in a playthrough unless you get incredibly lucky or go out of your way to farm for them, so they all deserve to be a little broken. vampire knives are already the spectre hood vs spectre mask argument of "i will have an easier time surviving but the fight will take longer" anyway

idk its 7am and i haven't properly slept and i probably Should Not Be Posting but i really think that its okay for things to be broken sometimes. we all talk about numbers in a vacuum but not everybody is running min/max builds that can even tell what "400 DPS" even means in a vacuum, they just know the funny knives heal them and they spent hours looking for them. as long as other things can be equally broken in other interesting ways and like half the time the solution really is as simple as more numbers. like i have not slept in maybe a day and i can already rant about stuff

piranha gun is outdamaged by chain gun? ok, cool. give it a few more numbers. it can be stronger than anything else using a musket pouch and a minmax reforged chain gun can continue to be stronger and thats okay because you have to actively farm chlorophyte to do that and sometimes you do not have literally infinite time to have infinite chlorophyte to have infinite chlorophyte bullets for your chain gun. you cannot make ranger be a mechanically dense/interesting playstyle at this point since you click a direction on the screen and vomit damage in that direction so just let the piranha gun do that but with more numbers.

let the rainbow gun just sit in one area for like a solid minute like nimbus staff gets to. people swear by that thing all the time as if its mandatory and rainbow gun is just a better one anyway so let it sit out the same amount of time. cool. next

scourge is cool! ranged semi-homing melee weapon. let it start homing before the first shot bursts or something or let a direct hit immediately damage with the tiny eaters and let it pierce armor or something. there you go you can now use scourge and not feel bad that you don't have funny healing knives. "wow that sounds strong"

i am literally not awake enough to talk about frost hydra bc i have never once thought about this weapon even back in 1.2.4 and i'm a terraprisma gamer so i can't talk about desert tiger either sorry

post ending i am pressing post reply and going to sleep now good night everyone

Wanna mention how he calls scourge of the corruptor “the best biome weapon“ when it’s outclassed in dps, crowd control, aim and avability by the terrablade.
Vampire Knives outclasses the Scourge of the Corruptor in any way, I still cant believe people say Scourge is better.

as long as other things can be equally broken in other interesting ways
Unfortunately, vampire knives are so wildly broken that nothing else in the entire game comes remotely close. At this point it would be in the game’s best interest to nerf one item rather than buff a ton of others.

vampire knives are strong and it's okay that they are strong because things in video games can be broken sometimes.
I would agree with this if it wasn't so broken that its blatantly the strongest weapon in the entire game except Zenith, which is post-ML. The sheer amount of healing that knives give you (being the equivalent of a greater healing potion in 5 seconds) makes you nigh unkillable and it makes you question why you would use any other weapon over it when this one offers near immortality. Even if used as a sidearm only when you need to heal, its extremely powerful and it needs a nerf because nothing in the game even comes close, and buffing the other options to the level of VK would break the game because of how powerful the weapons would need to be to match it

Back
Top Bottom