The Deerclops Guide And Why You Should Care

Infirain

Retinazer
Why?
Deerclops is really forgotten in the community. But it's mainly because of laziness and fighting him too late, "It doesn't drop any good loot". But after fighting him a hundred times (yes, I really fought it 100+ times just to learn the attack patterns -_-) I disagree. The thing is, it can be fought before any boss, making that half-decent loot a pre-hardmode Duke Fishron, though not as progress-breaking. The boss has a unique mechanic too - it doesn't despawn after death allowing you, with starter gear to kill him easily. This guide will primarily focus on how to beat it without dying, but take that in mind unless you're playing hardcore.
-|-
The Summon
This is where most will give up already. The summoning item isn't too hard to craft, but it requires you 3x Flinx Fur, 5x Demonite/Crimtane Ore (not bar), and 1x Lens at an Altar.
It isn't exactly difficult, but not all players would venture into the ice biome just to get the fur. It was added in 1.4.3 and is optional, so of course, not many will go on their way to get all the materials needed just to craft a Deer Thing. Although if you're playing as the summoner class, it's actually perfect for you. Not only because of the boss' nature and drops, but also because you might have some fur lying in your chest after early game.

Note: Deerclops can spawn by itself, but with extremely specific requirements:
-During a blizzard in the snow biome, on surface

- At midnight.
- At least one player in the world has at least 9 defense or at least 200 health.
- There is a player at the surface Snow biome.
- There must be no town NPCs within a 240×135-tile rectangle centered on that player.
- There must be no other bosses or hostile events (except the Blood Moon) active.
- If Deerclops has previously been defeated in the world, there is only a 1/4 (25%) chance for her to spawn naturally.
-|-
Should I fight it?
The battle is the easiest for summoners as I mentioned earlier, but there are drops for all classes, except melee. You might call the Lucy Axe one or the Piggy Bank pet compensation, but sadly if you're a warrior this fight isn't as useful for you. The best drop is for the summoner class, 2nd is the Weather Pain for mage, and then the somewhat decent Pew-Matic Horn. There's some vanity, one of the best axes in the game - Lucy (plus, she can talk and cheer you up), and a unique pet as a chest that functions like a walking piggy bank.

1st
1698131037477.png
2nd
1698131072151.png
3rd
1698131094557.png
Other
1698131116075.png
1698131162733.png

Conclusion: you should look into it if you're a summoner, maybe try to get a cool new weapon if you're a mage or a ranger. You can try to fight the boss earlier for drops earlier than intended. You can fight the boss as melee if you're interested in two new cool functional pets, but there isn't a huge reason to fight it early.
-|-

How to fight it?
-|-
Gear - Correct Place in Progression (before or after Skeletron)

Melee
Platinum/Gold armor is enough, but you can get Evil Biome armor or Molten armor for better bonuses. Flails and boomerangs are awesome here as they have some range. Swords and yoyos are good too, but require playing more aggressively, which isn't too bad in a fight like this. (Read Strategies)

Ranger
Necro (after Skeletron has been defeated) and fossil armor are only "true ranger sets". If you're struggling with the boss or don't want to venture to dangerous places like the desert or dungeon just yet, you can switch to platinum/gold or even evil biome armor for higher defense but no ranger damage bonuses. Bows like Tendon and Molten Fury are good and basically, most weapons at this stage are good (boomstick, the undertaker, hellwing bow, bloodrain bow...) so not much to say.
Mage
Jungle, meteor armor, and wizard set are all good options with the first 2 being more defense-focused. The gem staffs are still viable, Demon Scythe, Book of Skulls, Magic Missile and its underworld variant, Vilethorn, and Space Gun are all good options. Other weapons from the post-Skeletron underworld can be used too.
Summoner
And this is where this gets powerful. If you're post-Skeletron I highly recommend Obsidian Armor as the combo of Snapthorn with Spinal Tap is extremely powerful with some mixed minions. Otherwise, use bee or obsidian armor with mixed minions (e.g. Vampire Frog Staff, Imp Staff, Hornet Staff) and Snapthorn. Sentries are really useful.
All classes
If you have been struggling with dodging try using BoC and BoHB (or BoB). Try different strategies below with different equipment. If you are playing on expert and higher - the shield of Cthulu is almost a must. Dashing for this fight helps a lot.

Gear - Earlier Place in Progression

Focus on mobility, here BoC and bundle of Balloons (BoHB preferred) are much more viable. If you're going with BoB instead of singular balloons, you might also try the Slime Saddle to dodge Shadow Hands better. Jungle weapons are quite good, again, Snapthorn, Thorn Chakram, etc. or you can even try to fight it with weaker equipment - try grabbing some more flinx fur as a summoner, loot some frozen chests as melee and ranger, and try to get some jewels as mage. Set a bed near your arena and use what you found!

Arena

You basically have 2 options here:

1. Build a platform above the boss.
or
2. Make a flat surface (or use the natural surroundings).

If you choose the 1st one, 5 Shadow Hands can be summoned near your location. They can block your way causing you to get a hit. Therefore, it makes you less fragile to the Ice Spike attack, but Shadow Hands can be annoying. The second removes the Hand Issue as you no longer are above her, but this makes you be able to be more easily hit by the Ice Spikes. This fits well for setups with less mobility, but a higher focus on damage (e.g. the Spinal Tap + Snapthorn combo with Obsidian Armor and Pygmy Necklace), but you gotta play a game of jump rope. Every third attack also spawns the spikes shorter but in 2 directions, so watch out, keep your distance but don't be too close or far.

Attack Patterns
and how to deal with them

The boss is one of (if not the most) complex in all pre-hardmode, but not too difficult when you understand her mechanics. She has 4 (5, if expert+) total attacks and after a bunch of testing, I have a solution for all.

Ice Spikes

1698147285643.png

Notes: She will raise her two hands and then strike the ground. Don't be confused with the Debris animation, as there she puts down her hands and then raises them - only then the attack starts.

The attack: She summons a wave of ice traveling in your direction with quite fast speed. Every 3rd time, however, the wave gets shorter and goes in both directions. The next time it's back to normal.

How to dodge: for the first scenario, dash to the opposite side, use BoHB (BoB) if needed. You can also use two risky ways (in case Shadow Hands block your way for example): jump up or dash to the side where the wave is going and quickly jump using your balloon. This can hopefully be enough to get as high, if you fail (either you jumped too late and the wave reached you with method 1 or the balloon wasn't as fast and the ice touched you while you were trying to get away with method 2) the spikes will give the frozen effect for a few seconds.

Roar
1698148151653.png

The attack: she will stand in place and roar, inflicting the slow debuff on players within 50 tiles.

Notes: she will only do that if you do not have that debuff already.

How to dodge: almost impossible and not needed.

Debris
1698147285643.png

The attack: happens when she tries to use Ice Spikes but you are too far away. Summons a lot of debris flying your way and dealing heavy damage on hit.

Capture 2023-10-24 14_56_54.png

An example before it spreads out with a Shadow Hand below the Debris

How to dodge: you should avoid this in general, as the Spikes are much easier to dodge. If it happens that you're not too far, dash to the opposite side, you might have to jump to avoid getting hit. If you can't do that, run away so that the gaps are bigger and you can squeeze through them. You can run away even further to avoid them completely, though you still have to get back as she gains invincibility after 30 tiles. So, if you choose to use the second method, dash and get back swiftly when you can. If you don't, she might throw some more debris and spawn more Shadow Hands as you are likely still above her. You really don't want to make a loop of debris > run away > debris > run away > debris

Shadow Hands
1. Expert+ only, occasional 1 Shadow Hand
This one spawns regardless of if you are above her or not. It can either:

1. Move slightly, then rotate in place.
2. Move slowly towards you.
3. Move fast with a curve.

They always predict the movement of the player, so watch out when running in one direction!

2. Any mode, 5 hands.
This is what I meant by "blocking your way". This attack only appears if you're above her. One strategy I have is this:

If you see her suddenly stop, grab your slimy saddle (or just simply without) and jump. She will then roar and spawn in 5 hands at your position. Now you can get down and continue fighting. If you didn't jump, the hands appeared at your position, so they would block your way and hit you while you're trying to dodge the Ice Spikes.

Thank you!
Andddd, that's it. I wanted for it to be detailed, but also simple. So what do you think? Do you agree with me?

Attachments

• 1698147209211.png
    1698147209211.png
    6 KB · Views: 65
Deerclops actually has one super useful drop: the Eye Bone. This summons Chester, which is a portable piggy bank slaloming you to deposit coins and any other significant valuable at any time you want! This aid saved me from losing platinum coins multiple times in the dungeons and underworld.

Deerclops actually has one super useful drop: the Eye Bone. This summons Chester, which is a portable piggy bank slaloming you to deposit coins and any other significant valuable at any time you want! This aid saved me from losing platinum coins multiple times in the dungeons
Yeah, that's true. I mentioned it here.
and a unique pet as a chest that functions like a walking piggy bank.

Pretty good guide overall (since when is Deerclops a she though)
The thing is, it can be fought before any boss, making that half-decent loot a pre-hardmode Duke Fishron,
Lol no

Duke weapons are some of the best on his tier. Doing duke premech cheeses half the game.

Deerclops drops are much worse than both the bosses on tier (Queen Bee and Skeletron). Beating Deerclops preboss only really covers you until midprehardmode
drops for all classes, except melee. You might call the Lucy Axe
No, Lucy is the melee drop. Its balanced as both an axe and a sword. It still sucks, but Deerclops does have a melee drop.
The best drop is for the summoner class, 2nd is the Weather Pain for mage, and then the somewhat decent Pew-Matic Horn.
Disagree with the top 3 here

Pewmatic horn actually has better DPS than almost every weapon on tier, its only beaten by bees knees (which by itself is busted and rivals late phm weapons)

Weather pain is just weak and underwhelming. It isnt really that strong, and the tornado is so slow that luring bosses into it is more trouble than it's worth. Being technically free is the best thing going for it

The sentry is definitely not the best one. It gets a lot of flair for being the first ever sentry and all but it fails to live up to that hype. It has mediocre DPS and no crowd control while also having all the same problems sentries have, limited coverage and being almost unusable against bosses.

Not only is the dps mediocre you will also only ever have one at the time. If you beat OOA you get 2 more sentry slots (accessory and war table) but you also get Ballista which is outright better in any way

Its the same thing as weather pain: very weak and only worth it because its "free"

My top 4 is Pewmatic, then the sentry, then Weather Pain and finally Lucy

Pretty good guide overall (since when is Deerclops a she though)

Lol no

Duke weapons are some of the best on his tier. Doing duke premech cheeses half the game.

Deerclops drops are much worse than both the bosses on tier (Queen Bee and Skeletron). Beating Deerclops preboss only really covers you until midprehardmode

No, Lucy is the melee drop. Its balanced as both an axe and a sword. It still sucks, but Deerclops does have a melee drop.

Disagree with the top 3 here

Pewmatic horn actually has better DPS than almost every weapon on tier, its only beaten by bees knees (which by itself is busted and rivals late phm weapons)

Weather pain is just weak and underwhelming. It isnt really that strong, and the tornado is so slow that luring bosses into it is more trouble than it's worth. Being technically free is the best thing going for it

The sentry is definitely not the best one. It gets a lot of flair for being the first ever sentry and all but it fails to live up to that hype. It has mediocre DPS and no crowd control while also having all the same problems sentries have, limited coverage and being almost unusable against bosses.

Not only is the dps mediocre you will also only ever have one at the time. If you beat OOA you get 2 more sentry slots (accessory and war table) but you also get Ballista which is outright better in any way

Its the same thing as weather pain: very weak and only worth it because its "free"

My top 4 is Pewmatic, then the sentry, then Weather Pain and finally Lucy
That's what I meant with "not as progress-breaking though". It's still some free stuff you can get for other bosses, but not as good really.

And yeah, thanks for the feedback on the list, I was more keen on the fight itself and not the drops. I do find thee Weather Pain useful for crowds and the sentry is my 2nd summoner weapon now, so that's the explanation but yeah the Pewmatic can definitely go higher.

And I have never heard of the "1st" sentry, is that just some weird new player take or smth? I don't genuinely know, because well yes OOA is literally before that. Against normal enemies & Deerclops the sentry is definitely good, plus it has some more niche uses (I used the light when summoned with max mana to find the golfer for example) but I suppose not as good against fast-moving bosses and those niche uses can be easily replaced and are just an excuse for fanciness, so, yeah, I agree about the list.

Regarding, the "she" I didn't know myself, man. I wrote "it" at first, but after doing some research at the Terraria wiki (gg one) I saw this:
1698176333735.png

1698176353582.png

The Don't Starve Wiki says the same.
I'm confused.

Anyway, again, thanks for the feedback, I'll edit it soon!

Attachments

• 1698176346621.png
    1698176346621.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 29
And I have never heard of the "1st" sentry, is that just some weird new player take or smth? I don't genuinely know, because well yes OOA is literally before that.

It's the first sentry in progression, considering that OOA is at best at the same tier

it's also the first prehardmode sentry to be disconnected from OOA entirely (VERY important because a lot of people used to ignore this event ESPECIALLY the first tier) so this gives it a lot of hype

Regarding, the "she" I didn't know myself, man. I wrote "it" at first, but after doing some research at the Terraria wiki (gg one) I saw this:
1698176333735.png

1698176353582.png

I'm confused.

1698178823273.png

... fair enough

It's the first sentry in progression, considering that OOA is at best at the same tier

it's also the first prehardmode sentry to be disconnected from OOA entirely (VERY important because a lot of people used to ignore this event ESPECIALLY the first tier) so this gives it a lot of hype

View attachment 434763

... fair enough
OOA is still available a bit earlier and if you do it, the weapons can aboslutely demolish Deerclops. They're quite similar in progression and power (the OOA weapons are still really good even after the boss though), but wouldn't that still make the second (fifth) one? I suppose it's because of the first tier being the worst (only fairly good for summoner), as you mentioned.

View attachment 434750
View attachment 434752

I'm confused.
I saw in the DST wiki that Deerclops was referred to as both he and she by the various diferrent characters, so clearly Deerclops is a species, not an individual.
But personally, I've always thought of the Deerclops that is in Terraria as male.

I saw in the DST wiki that Deerclops was referred to as both he and she by the various diferrent characters, so clearly Deerclops is a species, not an individual.
But personally, I've always thought of the Deerclops that is in Terraria as male.
That makes sense.
I should probably clean up the mess of all differnet pronouns there, I bet I slipped "they" and "he" there too.

if/when i ever do a summoner playthrough i might be able to get some use out of this (since you mentioned at the beginning that summoners benefit more than others from this)

Why?
Deerclops is really forgotten in the community. But it's mainly because of laziness and fighting him too late, "It doesn't drop any good loot". But after fighting him a hundred times (yes, I really fought it 100+ times just to learn the attack patterns -_-) I disagree. The thing is, it can be fought before any boss, making that half-decent loot a pre-hardmode Duke Fishron, though not as progress-breaking. The boss has a unique mechanic too - it doesn't despawn after death allowing you, with starter gear to kill him easily. This guide will primarily focus on how to beat it without dying, but take that in mind unless you're playing hardcore.
-|-
The Summon
This is where most will give up already. The summoning item isn't too hard to craft, but it requires you 3x Flinx Fur, 5x Demonite/Crimtane Ore (not bar), and 1x Lens at an Altar.
It isn't exactly difficult, but not all players would venture into the ice biome just to get the fur. It was added in 1.4.3 and is optional, so of course, not many will go on their way to get all the materials needed just to craft a Deer Thing. Although if you're playing as the summoner class, it's actually perfect for you. Not only because of the boss' nature and drops, but also because you might have some fur lying in your chest after early game.

Note: Deerclops can spawn by itself, but with extremely specific requirements:
-During a blizzard in the snow biome, on surface
- At midnight.

- At least one player in the world has at least 9 defense or at least 200 health.
- There is a player at the surface Snow biome.
- There must be no town NPCs within a 240×135-tile rectangle centered on that player.
- There must be no other bosses or hostile events (except the Blood Moon) active.
- If Deerclops has previously been defeated in the world, there is only a 1/4 (25%) chance for her to spawn naturally.
-|-
Should I fight it?
The battle is the easiest for summoners as I mentioned earlier, but there are drops for all classes, except melee. You might call the Lucy Axe one or the Piggy Bank pet compensation, but sadly if you're a warrior this fight isn't as useful for you. The best drop is for the summoner class, 2nd is the Weather Pain for mage, and then the somewhat decent Pew-Matic Horn. There's some vanity, one of the best axes in the game - Lucy (plus, she can talk and cheer you up), and a unique pet as a chest that functions like a walking piggy bank.

1st View attachment 434614 2nd View attachment 434615 3rdView attachment 434616 Other View attachment 434617 View attachment 434620

Conclusion: you should look into it if you're a summoner, maybe try to get a cool new weapon if you're a mage or a ranger. You can try to fight the boss earlier for drops earlier than intended. You can fight the boss as melee if you're interested in two new cool functional pets, but there isn't a huge reason to fight it early.
-|-

How to fight it?
-|-
Gear - Correct Place in Progression (before or after Skeletron)

Melee
Platinum/Gold armor is enough, but you can get Evil Biome armor or Molten armor for better bonuses. Flails and boomerangs are awesome here as they have some range. Swords and yoyos are good too, but require playing more aggressively, which isn't too bad in a fight like this. (Read Strategies)

Ranger
Necro (after Skeletron has been defeated) and fossil armor are only "true ranger sets". If you're struggling with the boss or don't want to venture to dangerous places like the desert or dungeon just yet, you can switch to platinum/gold or even evil biome armor for higher defense but no ranger damage bonuses. Bows like Tendon and Molten Fury are good and basically, most weapons at this stage are good (boomstick, the undertaker, hellwing bow, bloodrain bow...) so not much to say.
Mage
Jungle, meteor armor, and wizard set are all good options with the first 2 being more defense-focused. The gem staffs are still viable, Demon Scythe, Book of Skulls, Magic Missile and its underworld variant, Vilethorn, and Space Gun are all good options. Other weapons from the post-Skeletron underworld can be used too.
Summoner
And this is where this gets powerful. If you're post-Skeletron I highly recommend Obsidian Armor as the combo of Snapthorn with Spinal Tap is extremely powerful with some mixed minions. Otherwise, use bee or obsidian armor with mixed minions (e.g. Vampire Frog Staff, Imp Staff, Hornet Staff) and Snapthorn. Sentries are really useful.
All classes
If you have been struggling with dodging try using BoC and BoHB (or BoB). Try different strategies below with different equipment. If you are playing on expert and higher - the shield of Cthulu is almost a must. Dashing for this fight helps a lot.

Gear - Earlier Place in Progression

Focus on mobility, here BoC and bundle of Balloons (BoHB preferred) are much more viable. If you're going with BoB instead of singular balloons, you might also try the Slime Saddle to dodge Shadow Hands better. Jungle weapons are quite good, again, Snapthorn, Thorn Chakram, etc. or you can even try to fight it with weaker equipment - try grabbing some more flinx fur as a summoner, loot some frozen chests as melee and ranger, and try to get some jewels as mage. Set a bed near your arena and use what you found!

Arena

You basically have 2 options here:

1. Build a platform above the boss.
or
2. Make a flat surface (or use the natural surroundings).

If you choose the 1st one, 5 Shadow Hands can be summoned near your location. They can block your way causing you to get a hit. Therefore, it makes you less fragile to the Ice Spike attack, but Shadow Hands can be annoying. The second removes the Hand Issue as you no longer are above her, but this makes you be able to be more easily hit by the Ice Spikes. This fits well for setups with less mobility, but a higher focus on damage (e.g. the Spinal Tap + Snapthorn combo with Obsidian Armor and Pygmy Necklace), but you gotta play a game of jump rope. Every third attack also spawns the spikes shorter but in 2 directions, so watch out, keep your distance but don't be too close or far.

Attack Patterns
and how to deal with them

The boss is one of (if not the most) complex in all pre-hardmode, but not too difficult when you understand her mechanics. She has 4 (5, if expert+) total attacks and after a bunch of testing, I have a solution for all.

Ice Spikes

View attachment 434658
Notes: She will raise her two hands and then strike the ground. Don't be confused with the Debris animation, as there she puts down her hands and then raises them - only then the attack starts.

The attack: She summons a wave of ice traveling in your direction with quite fast speed. Every 3rd time, however, the wave gets shorter and goes in both directions. The next time it's back to normal.

How to dodge: for the first scenario, dash to the opposite side, use BoHB (BoB) if needed. You can also use two risky ways (in case Shadow Hands block your way for example): jump up or dash to the side where the wave is going and quickly jump using your balloon. This can hopefully be enough to get as high, if you fail (either you jumped too late and the wave reached you with method 1 or the balloon wasn't as fast and the ice touched you while you were trying to get away with method 2) the spikes will give the frozen effect for a few seconds.

Roar
View attachment 434663

The attack: she will stand in place and roar, inflicting the slow debuff on players within 50 tiles.

Notes: she will only do that if you do not have that debuff already.

How to dodge: almost impossible and not needed.

Debris
View attachment 434658
The attack: happens when she tries to use Ice Spikes but you are too far away. Summons a lot of debris flying your way and dealing heavy damage on hit.

View attachment 434664
An example before it spreads out with a Shadow Hand below the Debris

How to dodge: you should avoid this in general, as the Spikes are much easier to dodge. If it happens that you're not too far, dash to the opposite side, you might have to jump to avoid getting hit. If you can't do that, run away so that the gaps are bigger and you can squeeze through them. You can run away even further to avoid them completely, though you still have to get back as she gains invincibility after 30 tiles. So, if you choose to use the second method, dash and get back swiftly when you can. If you don't, she might throw some more debris and spawn more Shadow Hands as you are likely still above her. You really don't want to make a loop of debris > run away > debris > run away > debris

Shadow Hands
1. Expert+ only, occasional 1 Shadow Hand
This one spawns regardless of if you are above her or not. It can either:

1. Move slightly, then rotate in place.
2. Move slowly towards you.
3. Move fast with a curve.

They always predict the movement of the player, so watch out when running in one direction!

2. Any mode, 5 hands.
This is what I meant by "blocking your way". This attack only appears if you're above her. One strategy I have is this:

If you see her suddenly stop, grab your slimy saddle (or just simply without) and jump. She will then roar and spawn in 5 hands at your position. Now you can get down and continue fighting. If you didn't jump, the hands appeared at your position, so they would block your way and hit you while you're trying to dodge the Ice Spikes.

Thank you!
Andddd, that's it. I wanted for it to be detailed, but also simple. So what do you think? Do you agree with me?
yeah so i play SUMMONER and still tanked her pre-skeletron. lucy is still my go to axe even with the drill mount. also Deerclops IS a female, do you really think Wurt, a monster, wouldnt be able to tell deerclops's gender?

yeah so i play SUMMONER and still tanked her pre-skeletron. lucy is still my go to axe even with the drill mount. also Deerclops IS a female, do you really think Wurt, a monster, wouldnt be able to tell deerclops's gender?
Well, living in clod climate would incite any species to evolve internal testicles so for Wurt to know for sure he likely would have had to dissect a Deerclops. Not saying he hasn’t.

Back
Top Bottom