Sprites The Evil Pylons

Amaro_Lunático

Terrarian
Hello everyone,
Today I want show you all a item suggestion I have been thinking for a little while.

Corruption_Line.png
DESCRIPTION
Crimson_Line.png

I believe we are all acquainted with pylons and their usefulness, helping us navigate our worlds much easier. Currently we have 9 pylons in the game:
Forest, Snow, Desert, Cavern, Ocean, Jungle, Hallow, Mushroom and the Universal.

So here's the idea, what if we were to have 2 more pylons, representing the evil biomes, the Corruption and The Crimson. This pylons would fuction exactly like the others, but with different requirements for their acquisition and activation. They are craftable, requiring many corruption/crimson materials, including materials droped by the Eater of Worlds and Brain of Cthulhu.

Now a question arises, do you have to make a town in that biome to use them? No, you don't need to make a town for them to work, since none of the town NPCs like the evil biomes. So as long as you have them in their respective biomes, they work, but other limitations do still affect them. They can not be used during boss fights and events like the Pumpking and Frost Moons, etc...

Corruption_Line.png
SHOWCASE
Crimson_Line.png

- - -
Corruption Pylon
Corrupt Pylon (placed)
Corrupt Pylon (item)

Placeable : ✓ (3 wide × 4 high)

Use time : 15 (Very fast)

Tooltip : A wicked artifact forged from the essence of the Corruption.
You can only place one per type and in the matching biome.

Rarity : Rarity level: 1

Sell : 2
Gold_Coin.png

Research : 1 required

- - -

Crimson Pylon

Crimson_Pylon_(placed).gif
Crimson_Pylon.png

Placeable : ✓ (3 wide × 4 high)

Use time : 15 (Very fast)

Tooltip : A wicked artifact forged from the essence of the Crimson.
You can only place one per type and in the matching biome.

Rarity : Rarity level: 1

Sell : 2
Gold_Coin.png

Research : 1 required

- - -
- - -
Corruption Pylon

Corrupt Pylon (item)

Ingredients:

50 Ebonstone_Block.png Ebonstone Block, 4
Worm_Tooth.png
Worm Tooth, 4
Rotten_Chunk.png
Rotten Chunk, 14
Shadow_Scale.png
Shadow Scale, 15
Demonite_Ore.png
Demonite Ore

Crafting station:

Demon_Altar.png Demon Altar or
Crimson_Altar.png
Crimson Altar

- - -

Crimson Pylon

Crimson_Pylon.png

Ingredients:

50 Crimstone_Block.png Crimstone Block, 5
Vertebrae.png
Vertebra, 5
Jagged_Teeth.png
Jagged Tooth, 12
Tissue_Sample.png
Tissue Sample, 15
Crimtane_Ore.png
Crimtane Ore

Crafting station:

Demon_Altar.png Demon Altar or
Crimson_Altar.png
Crimson Altar

- - -
- - -

Jagged Tooth

Jagged_Teeth.png

the Jagged Tooth is a crafting material dropped by the Face Monster. Serving as the Crimson equivalent of the Worm Tooth.
It would be used in the following recipes:

Infamous Arrow
Infamous_Arrow.png
: [ 5 Wooden Arrow, 1 Jagged Tooth ] at Iron Anvil or Lead Anvil

Crimson Pylon : [ 50 Crimstone Block , 5 Vertebra, 5 Jagged Tooth, 12 Tissue Sample, 15 Crimtane Ore ] at Demon Altar or Crimson Altar

- - -
Corruption_Line.png
CREDITS
Crimson_Line.png

Original idea by Amaro_Lunático
Rework suggestions by Sora_92

This idea changed a lot from its original concept, so in case you are confused, I do recommend checking the comments in this thread.

And thats basically it, in case you guys have some feedback on this idea, feel free to comment.
Have a nice day everybody.​

Last edited:
I love the idea of the pylons themselves, but aquiring them the way you describe sounds like a serious hassle. if you go through the process of cleansing your whole world why would you want these pylons anyway?

I think they would be useful if could be aquired of actually normal time.
and just simply work when in their respective biome.

and have both being available in the same world. with bestiary highly encouraging artifical other evil biome, I always wonder what even to do with the key of that, because there's no chest for them in the dungeon - seriously, on 2 playthroughts too, the 1st biome key I got was the corruption's which was artifically introduced to the world, and hence the key itself is largely useless...

make dryad sell them at blood moons or something, I dunno.
or make them craftable...? forest pylon, 50 tissue sample/shadow scale? that would mean they're post EoW/BoC.

I also could imagine the fangirls selling them, but that's another thing XD

I love the idea of the pylons themselves, but aquiring them the way you describe sounds like a serious hassle. if you go through the process of cleansing your whole world why would you want these pylons anyway?

I think they would be useful if could be aquired of actually normal time.
and just simply work when in their respective biome.

and have both being available in the same world. with bestiary highly encouraging artifical other evil biome, I always wonder what even to do with the key of that, because there's no chest for them in the dungeon - seriously, on 2 playthroughts too, the 1st biome key I got was the corruption's which was artifically introduced to the world, and hence the key itself is largely useless...

make dryad sell them at blood moons or something, I dunno.
or make them craftable...? forest pylon, 50 tissue sample/shadow scale? that would mean they're post EoW/BoC.

I also could imagine the fangirls selling them, but that's another thing XD

My idea for the aquisition method was for it be hard, give a reward to dryad's quest (even inplying some lore like shes the one sealing the biome in the pylon) and for an easy way to make artificial biomes, like you just put the pylon somewhere and boom, here's your new biome bubble. To anwser your question on why you bring the biome back, maybe you want to fight new bosses some mods add to the corruption/crimson, or completing the fishing quests too, since they are what most people left to do last. But yeah, I do see your point.

About they both being avalible in the same world, yeah big no on that one, I don't think its cheating to have both biomes in a world by you creating one artificially, but here's the thing, they do serve as counterparts to each other, you can finish the game with just corruption, or just crimson, both sides having their strong and weak points, and with you had both of everything, it kind makes some itens pointless.

This part here "and just simply work when in their respective biome." I didn't really get what you meant, they already work normally, just with the requirement of world
percentage, instead of needing to make a town for them to work.

The blood moon idea is interesting, a bit too simple for me, but interesting. Them be crafteble, yeah no, why create a recipe for a item that you can have only one working in a entire world. And the zoologist one, I don't see enough of a connection on why that would be a thing.

In conclusion, thanks for the feedback, I gonna re-think the acquisition method. Maybe make it a boss drop? I don't know

Last edited:
I agree, the idea you listed in the opening post is too much of a hassle to even go for. I'd much rather it be a boss drop, the Cultists makes sense since his drops are underwhelming and it sort of suits him.

The overall idea is great though.

@Amaro_Lunático
What I mean, it seems like a waste of time to cleanse it, to get the item to infect it again. and by the time you can cleanse a world, there's not that much need of all of this. intoducing something so late in the game greatly would hurt its usefullness, I think.

I get that you say the dryad sealed the biomes in them or something, but still.
also, fishing quests? I think the angler will only ask for fish from biomes that exist in the world, but I might be wrong with that. but you can just simply skip it when it's a fish you can't catch, and catch one the next day when it's a fish you can catch.

you HAVE to introduce the opposite evil artifically to complete the bestiary. the game greatly encourages both evils in the same world now - and it available to do so too, via dryad in the graveyard in hardmode. although it's a bit of a hassle. yet, you have no opposite evil chest in the dungeon so the key you might get is pretty much useless.
that is why I think there should be chest too, as well as both pylons, just like how the decay chamber should be sold in crimson worlds too, etc.

you can't build towns there, as you pointed it out as well. but saying "5% of the world crimson/corruption" would mean it might takes ages for them to spread again. you can just spray some solution there, but then there's no real point for them to spread the biome. and 5% can really mean a relatively small, or even quite large area, based on world size...

" yeah no, why create a recipe for a item that you can have only one working in a entire world. "
umm... void vault...? I mean, you can craft more but you likely won't because the void bag?

plus, that idea would render it to be post EoW/BoC, since it requires their unique drop, meaning you already defeated those at least once. might can count as "taming" the evil biomes. IMO, what would be a better time than that for aquiring their pylons...?

also, I meant the 2 fangirl from my mod, not the zoologist. although the zoologist do sells the ultimate pylon too, right?

Also, I dunno about it being a lunatic cultist drop. it is true he barely drops anything, but I think it's largely because rematching him brings forth the whole lunar apocalypse again, so rematching LC is a pain.
the other time I even had trouble picking up the ancient manipulator he drops, because the solar pillar spawned super close, and I had barely any HP after the battle that a random corite nearly killed me 2 seconds after Lunatic cultist was defeated. I had to fly away quite far to regen and then go back for the ancient manipulator. Lunatic cultist is a pain, because of all the events related that work as a chain-reaction.

the upcoming event also disables pylon functionality for the time being, so they would be outright useless the time you get them, and only useful after the apocalyse is cleared (regardless if moon lord is down or not) that's nearly the same as making it a drop from moon lord, rendering it pretty much useless in general, like, you might just move on to a new playthrough & new character after...

almost all the pylons can be aquired even before any bosses on a regular playthrough. the only real exception is the hallow, since that biome usually not exists there pre-hardmode (the pylon itself functions though, if the hallow is introduced to a pre-hardmode world.
that is why I think making them post EoW/BoC is what makes the most sense, since those bosses are related to the evil biomes, and it's rather early in progression to make them actually very useful. the later you get these things the less useful they are.
if they're late game, you might just already set up a teleporter there or something by that time, rendering these rather useless... that's why I think mid-pre-hardmode is a good time to make these available.

although the zoologist do sells the ultimate pylon too, right?
Ah yes, you right, I'm sorry. And about the name, I really thought it was a nickname you gave to the zoologist haha

also, fishing quests? I think the angler will only ask for fish from biomes that exist in the world, but I might be wrong with that. but you can just simply skip it when it's a fish you can't catch, and catch one the next day when it's a fish you can catch.
He did ask me for a hallow fish in pre-hardmode once, but most likely it was a bug.

" yeah no, why create a recipe for a item that you can have only one working in a entire world. "
umm... void vault...? I mean, you can craft more but you likely won't because the void bag?
I see

you HAVE to introduce the opposite evil artifically to complete the bestiary.
I did have way more of 1.3 vision on that point, yeah you are right

plus, that idea would render it to be post EoW/BoC, since it requires their unique drop, meaning you already defeated those at least once. might can count as "taming" the evil biomes. IMO, what would be a better time than that for aquiring their pylons...?

Yep, totally fair

Also, I dunno about it being a lunatic cultist drop. it is true he barely drops anything, but I think it's largely because rematching him brings forth the whole lunar apocalypse again, so rematching LC is a pain.
yeah

Sorry but its somewhat stupid idea to craft corruption pylon on Crimson altar and crimson couterpart on demon altar yes its not so stupid on 05162020 seed but in general its LOOK stupid it is because they are same crafting stations but with different sprites

Last edited:
Sorry but its somewhat stupid idea to craft corruption pylon on Crimson altar and crimson couterpart on demon altar yes its not so stupid on 05162020 seed but in general its look stupid
And what reason would I have for it to not work like this? you can still craft stuff in crimson items using demon altar, like Bloody Spine and the Night's Edge (using the Blood Butcherer), and vise-versa. I mean, you not entirely wrong that it is weird, I agree that it is, but that limitation would be even more nonsensical.

Last edited:
Sorry but its somewhat stupid idea to craft corruption pylon on Crimson altar and crimson couterpart on demon altar yes its not so stupid on 05162020 seed but in general its look stupid
Awser me this then, lets say you create a artificial crimson biome in your corruption world, why wouldn't be able to create both pylons to use them? and why it would make more sense for you to hoop into another world just to find a crimson altar and create the crimson pylon?

Awser me this then, lets say you create a artificial crimson biome in your corruption world, why wouldn't be able to create both pylons to use them? and why it would make more sense for you to hoop into another world just to find a crimson altar and create the crimson pylon?
I said what i agree that limitation is more nonsense than craft it on both altars
I really don't see what case you trying to make here.
Im too now :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom