NPCs & Enemies The Kraken! A new pre hardmode boss!

Do you like the Kraken?

• Yes! Release the Kraken!

Votes: 137 82.0%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 16 9.6%
  • Could use some work (please specify.)

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Nope nope nope.

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

Huzbubber Tim

Ice Queen
(Note: You may not use my suggestions in any mods, as I am currently in the process of making a mod of my own that is implementing most of my suggestions. Thank you for understanding!)

In my opinion, the gap between much of the gear between Skeletron and the Wall of Flesh sometimes seems a little large. All of the bosses prior to WoF are significantly weaker and don't quite bridge the gap enough. To compensate for this, I have thought up an idea for a new boss fought in the Ocean right before the Wall of Flesh that provides gear that gives players a bit more preparation for it. Without any further delay, I present to you The Kraken!

Kraken.png
(Animated version coming soon!)

In order to summon the Kraken, the player needs a Ramshackle Raft
Ramshacle Raft.png
and a Repugnant Chum Bucket
Repugnant Chum Bucket.png
. The Ramshackle Raft is a new mount crafted with 25 Driftwood
Driftwood.png
, a new item that slowly floats into the ocean from the sides of the world. The Ramshackle Raft moves at a moderate speed on water but barely moves at all on land. Repugnant Chum Buckets are crafted using 1 bucket, 20 bones, 5 ocean fish (trout, tuna, red snapper, or shrimp), and 3 seashells/starfish. When used, Repugnant Chum Buckets will create a large dark cloud in the water that increases fishing power by 40, but only lasts for around 20-30 seconds and can only be fished in 3 times. However, while riding the Ramshackle Raft over the chum cloud in an Ocean biome, as soon as the cloud disappears the Kraken attacks the Raft and the fight begins.

(For the purpose not bloating the suggestion, I will not be listing other uses of driftwood. If you come up with other uses I'd love to hear them, though I won't be showcasing them in the main thread.)

Stats:
Health: 5,200/10,400/15,600
Defense: 12/24/30
Knockback Resistance: 100%

The Kraken fight takes place over two different phase, one above the water and one below. Attempting to leave the Ocean biome during the fight causes the player to be dragged back to the fight by a giant tentacle.

Phase 1:
-Jumps out of the water and over the player 3 times before diving on top of them. (30/60/90 Damage)
-Stops in place and shoots a spread of 5 Inkballs
Inkball.gif
in a row that can pass through blocks. (20/40/60 Damage)
-Positions itself on one side of the player and summons a Whirlpool
Whirlpool.gif
that traverses the screen horizontally until it reaches the end of the water. (50/100/150 Damage)

Phase 2:
-Inflicts the player with a new debuff called Seabound Malediction
Seabound Malediction.png
that allows the player to have infinite breath and swimming underwater, but rising above the surface causes rapid damage. This effectively forces the player to fight The Kraken underwater.
-Retains Inkball attack from Phase 1.
-Dashes at the player 3-4 times. (30/60/90 Damage)
-Stops in place and surrounds itself in a cloud of damaging ink for 7 seconds, becoming temporarily invincible. Summons 3 Krakites before becoming vulnerable again. (50/75/100 Damage)

Krakite.gif
Krakites: Boss servants that randomly alternate between ramming the player and shooting jets of ink. (160/230/350 Health, 40/80/120 Damage)

Expert Mode:
-Jumps over the player 2 times before diving and jumps faster.
-Inkballs have a 30% chance to inflict the Blackout debuff for 6 seconds.
-Whirlpools travel across the screen faster.
-Dashes at the player 3-5 times, dashes faster.
-Stays invulnerable for 10 seconds, ink cloud is larger.
-Summons 4 Krakites.

Master Mode:
-Occasionally summons 1-2 Krakites during phase 1.
-Instantly dives on the player after jumping out of the water, dives twice in a row.
-Inkballs inflict Blackout at a 50% chance.
-Flies over the player and summons Whirlpools on both sides of the player that move towards each other.
-Always dashes 5 times.
-Stays invulnerable for 12 seconds.
-Summons 6 Krakites.

Drops:
Enchanted Hook.png
Enchanted Hook: Does 22 melee damage. Thrown out in a wide arc and comes back to the player like a boomerang. 25% drop chance.
Ink Spritzer.png
Ink Spritzer: Does 20 ranged damage. Shoots fast moving jets of ink that are lightly affected by gravity, uses no ammo. 25% drop chance.
Whirlpool Scepter.png
Whirlpool Scepter: Does 30 magic damage. Conjures a whirlpool that moves along the ground in the direction fired for about 5 seconds, pierces up to 10 enemies. Uses 30 mana per shot. 25% drop chance.
Tentacle Whip.png
Tentacle Whip: Does 35 summon damage. Striking enemies causes them to eject bursts of ink that can damage nearby enemies. Whenever minions attack a summon enemy, they have a 30% chance to create another ink burst. Has a range of 20 tiles. 25% drop chance.
Suckered Hook.png
Suckered Hook: Shoots up to 4 hooks with a range of 24 tiles, pulls smaller enemies towards you if it touches them. 12.24% drop chance.
Kraken Trophy.png
Kraken Trophy: 10% drop chance.
Kraken Mask.png
Kraken Mask: 14.29% drop chance

Expert Mode:
Kraken Treasure Bag.png
Kraken Treasure Bag: 100% drop chance.
Ink Heart.png
Ink Heart: Double tapping the Down key encases you in a damaging cloud of ink, as well as reducing enemy aggro by 300 while inside the cloud. 100% drop chance from Kraken Treasure Bag.

Master Mode:
Kraken Relic.png
Kraken Relic Item.png
Kraken Relic: 100% drop chance.
Cursed Ink Sac.png
Baby Kraken.gif
Cursed Ink Sac: Summons a Baby Kraken pet to follow you around. 25% drop chance.

Thank you for reading my suggestion! Let me know what you think in the comments!

4F49F545-BD66-41E1-AC43-07D2AC9B819C.png

Support the Kraken!

Kraken Banner.png

Copy and paste this code into your signature:
Code:
[url="https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-kraken-a-new-pre-hardmode-boss.59788/#post-1414264"][img]https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/kraken-banner-png.301805/[/img][/url]

Code:
[url="https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-kraken-a-new-pre-hardmode-boss.59788/#post-1414264"][img]https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?attachments/kraken-banner-png.207252/[/img][/url]
Kraken Banner!.png

Last edited:
I feel like having black ink in the recipe shouldn't be a thing...
You should probably have it drop with a 1% chance from water-based enemies after defeating Skeletron. This stops after you defeat the Kraken. Maybe you could also have a recipe, but not with black ink...
Also, when you summon it, it should say, "The Kraken has been released..."

I feel like having black ink in the recipe shouldn't be a thing...
You should probably have it drop with a 1% chance from water-based enemies after defeating Skeletron. This stops after you defeat the Kraken. Maybe you could also have a recipe, but not with black ink...
Also, when you summon it, it should say, "The Kraken has been released..."
Thanks for the advice! I think that I will add the new summoning message, but I like the squid ink as a crafting material because it basically ‘upgrades’ the squid to the Kraken. I just think that fits.

Note: I am not the best spriter in the world, so my sprites are just okay right now. Also, for some reason the banner is huge, just letting you know.

I have always thought that gap between the pre hardmode bosses and the Wall of Flesh is all too big. All of the pre-hardmode bosses are much weaker than WoF, and there are not really any bosses that bridge that gap. So I propose a new boss: the Kraken!

The Kraken is summoned in the ocean using a Cursed Ink Sac. The ink sac is crafted with 10 black ink, 20 shells, 10 starfish, and 15 coral (Shells/starfish now generate on beaches like coral) at a demon alter, after Skeletron is defeated. Tooltip: "Releases the Kraken!" View attachment 186006 When it is used, the message “The Kraken has been released! (Thanks @Explinorater !

First Stage:
Rams into the player, whacks with tentacles, and shoots ink
Melee: 25 damage
Tentacle: 35 damage
Ink Cloud: 20 damage

Second Stage:
Does attacks from stage one, plus he summons inklings to aide him, casts whirlpools at the player, snaps at the player with his beak, which deals extreme damage, and sprays toxic ink at the player.
Whirlpool: 40 damage
Toxic Ink: 30 damage
Beak: 45 damage
Inklings: 25 damage (melee)
(Inklings have 15 health) View attachment 186007

EXPERT MODE: In expert mode, the Kraken will summon Inklings in bother of his stages, along with summoning more powerful Inkers that are summoned in stage 2. (Thanks TerrariaNoob31!) Occasionally, the Kraken will encase himself in a cloud of ink that can deal extreme damage to the player, summoning large amounts of Inklings and Inkers. While inside of the cloud, the Kraken is immune to all damage until all of the Inkers and Inklings are killed.
Inkers: 45 damage.
Ink Cloud: 65 damage.
(Inkers have 30 health.)

Drops:
Ink Sprayer: Does 20 ranged damage. Shoots a damaging cloud of ink. 25% drop chance.
View attachment 186009
Toxic Ink: Ammo for Ink Sprayer. Drops 15-30 with Ink Sprayer. Also sold by arms dealer when Ink Sprayer is in inventory.
View attachment 186017
Tentacle Whip: Does 26 melee damage. Behaves like the flairon when used. Has a range of 30 tiles. 25% drop chance.
View attachment 186014
Whirlpool Staff: Does 30 magic damage. Shoots a large whirlpool projectile at your enemies. Uses 30 mana per shot. 25% drop chance.
View attachment 186018
Inkling Staff: 16 summon damage. Summons an Inkling to fight for you. Uses 20 mana. 25% drop chance.
View attachment 186008 View attachment 186007
Suckered Hook: Shoots a single tentacle shaped hook. This hook is unique because when it is fired at smaller enemies (zombies, werewolves, etc.), it will pull them to you. 12.24% drop chance.
View attachment 186013
Kraken Trophy: 10% drop chance.
View attachment 186012
Kraken Mask: 14.29% drop chance
View attachment 186011

Expert Mode:
Kraken Treasure Bag: 100% drop chance.
View attachment 186019
Inky Globule: When taking damage, there is a 25% chance that a cloud of ink will surround you, dealing 20 damage to enemies in it and causing enemies outside the cloud to ignore you. The cloud lasts for 6 seconds. If you move outside of the cloud, enemies can see you and will attack you. 100% drop chance from Kraken Treasure Bag.
View attachment 186010

Thank you for reading my suggestion, and let me know what you think in the comments!

nice suggestion you came, but the only thing that bothers me is sprites, they are poorly resized and bad

Back
Top Bottom