NPCs & Enemies The Kraken

He's like another King Slime, no use in game advancement, he's just a boss who drops some stuff. I edited a few things about summoning him and his AI

The Kraken
HP: 5,000
Def: 15
Attack: 35

When summoned he spawns on the ground, completely stationary, not crawling, flying, or hopping. He stays in one spot but he has tentacles, 8 small ones, about 4-5 blocks at the longest, that go around him randomly and focus on you when you get close. There are two longer tentacles that follow you wherever you go and try to hit you more the farther from the boss and if you travel, let's say, two screen distances away from the Kraken, they drag you back right to the middle of the Kraken. The tentacles are invincible, you have to hit the Kraken's body.

When brought down to 1,500 health, he starts chasing after you, but he will go back to where he was spawned if you leave the ocean biome. He shoots blobs of ink at you and tries to ram you, while his ten tentacles stay with him and don't go after you, only dealing contact damage. Once you bring his HP down to 500, he runs to the ocean and submerges himself. While on land in this stage he is completely invincible, but he also won't attack.

Once he enters the water, his tentacles start to attack you, each dealing 25 contact damage and having 100 HP. You have to kill all the tentacles before you can damage the actual boss again. Once the tentacles are killed, he will start moving very slowly across the screen, but staying within your sight. He shoots ink blobs very often, and if he is attacked from the back he sprays an ink cloud that inflicts slow. He continues like this until he is defeated.

His summoning object used to be the Suspicious looking tentacle, but that's taken now. He will be summoned by the crab meat, a 2% drop from crabs (wow, an actual use for crabs!) and he can only be summoned on the sand in an ocean biome, not in the water. Now, his drops are as follows:

Ink Bombs (10-25)
0 damage
Has a radius of ten blocks. It coats every block in range with Ink, causing fast enemies to move slow and slow enemies to stop. Stays on blocks for 1 minute.

Killer Hook
Grappling hook with 10 hooks. The first two are really long and the rest are shorter than the spider hook's webs.

Magic Squid Eye
Increases vision, allows you to see in the dark. Extra rare drop.

Ink Gland "So useful, but soooooo gross!"
15 magic damage.
It shoots a spray of ink constantly for 15 mana per second. Inflicts slow and has a 10 block range.

Beak Blade
24 melee damage
Massive knockback
Short range
Fast speed with autoswing
It's a shortsword! Didn't you ever want to stab your enemies with the beak of a squid? Now you can! It is three blocks long.

Nuclear Tentacle
Summons the floating squid pet. It's a squid that floats in the air as if it were water!

I didn't change too much, but I fixed a few things people didn't like. I hope it's better this time!

Last edited:
images

Don't know why but this was the first thing that popped into my head when I read this.

But I'm confused about the large tentacles. "They Follow you wherever you go." Like a Man Eater?

Like the tongue from the WoF when you get behind it. They follow you arround slowly for a certain distance and when you get too far from the actual boss, they drag you back. They are supposed to make you constantly moving and fighting so that you don't just stand in one spot shooting at it...

This idea is actually really good! Good job on this. I like the concept of the drops, and the boss itself seems very nice.

Good suggestion! It seems like it would fit!

He should be way stronger and when you summon it there should be a voice (maybe davey jones from pirates of the caribean) that says release the kraken

I don't think making him stronger is the best idea, considering to summon him you just need to kill a few crabs... And having that voice would be awesome!

I think the Nuclear Tentacle should be a summoner weapon instead. Summons a mini-kraken that has a short-medium ink spray attack, maybe?

Interesting thoughts for a pre-hardmode boss.

When you said it was "just another King Slime," I thought you meant it was going to have a braindead A.I. with a few semi-interesting drops. That's certainly not the case, though.

10 tentacles seems to be a bit much, especially if they're all going towards you and can deal damage. The smaller tentacles would probably be better as background objects to make it seem like the Kraken has a lot of arms, but not actually bring them into gameplay. Alternatively, the larger tentacles could be made into background objects, and the smaller tentacles could be like the hungry on the WoF: swarming together and dealing lots of damage if you get too close.

Giving it the same attacks as the EoC (flying & ramming) definitely seems out of place. Certain bosses, such as the BoC or the Twins, have attacks similar to Cthulhu's, but have modified the attack pattern slightly. The Kraken doesn't do this; it adds to the attack pattern (shooting ink), but it doesn't change anything, which just makes it feel like you're fighting Cthulhu with a slow debuff.

If the attack pattern was changed up a bit (not directly copy/pasting the EoC's attacks and giving it ink), this could be a very nice pre-hardmode counterpart to Duke Fishron.

You do realize that it's EoC stage is only its last stage, right? And it's probably the shortest stage. The rest is nothing like the EoC, so I don't think that needs changing.

I have an idea. How about when it reaches very low health (500?), it goes into one final rage mode and begins rapidly spinning in place, flying towards the player at high speed, and spraying ink from it's mouth.

Back
Top Bottom