Sprites The Necropolis (Alternate Desert)

Your spritework is fantastic, and it's a detailed suggestion that clearly had some thought put into it, but I'm not sure I can support this one. Taking away the desert removes...rather a lot, really. First off is that "look for the desert" is the fastest and most reliable way to get sand - and through sand, glass and all the things it makes, especially bottles - in the early game. It also takes away the antlion hive and underground desert. Maybe it's in one of your broken images (I reloaded the page several times to no success), but I don't see anything on how the underground would generate, and little on the surface. That leaves me to assume that it's completely different, which means losing one of the best places to get an Extractinator, a truly invaluable tool.

Also, while not strictly relevant, wouldn't the equivalent to Sandstorm in a Bottle be Fog in a Bottle?
1. It doesn't replace sand entirely. Just sand that would be considered the desert biome. Sand would and could still spawn naturally throughout the underground and at both Oceans. You would still be able to collect large amounts of sand, even in early game.
2. Surface details are under Environment inside of General Changes. When something is unlisted, you can simply assume that it'll mimic or be close to the alt its based on, not that they're completely different; i.e. all the listed things are what changes, all the unlisted things are what likely don't change.

I thought a lot about Fog in a Bottle, but I landed on Silt because I wanted to remove the item from Cloud.

1. It doesn't replace sand entirely. Just sand that would be considered the desert biome. Sand would and could still spawn naturally throughout the underground and at both Oceans. You would still be able to collect large amounts of sand, even in early game.
2. Surface details are under Environment inside of General Changes. When something is unlisted, you can simply assume that it'll mimic or be close to the alt its based on, not that they're completely different; i.e. all the listed things are what changes, all the unlisted things are what likely don't change.

I thought a lot about Fog in a Bottle, but I landed on Silt because I wanted to remove the item from Cloud.

I know that it doesn't fully replace sand. I'm just pointing out that it would add extra hassle to the early game, when it's not as easy to go searching underground and to the edges of the map. The desert typically spawns near enough to spawn for the player to run out to it when digging is still slow and before they can reach the oceans.

Actually, this brings a question to mind, would this affect all deserts, or just the primary one that goes underground? Because in most of my worlds I come across much smaller desert biomes as well as the primary.

I know that it doesn't fully replace sand. I'm just pointing out that it would add extra hassle to the early game, when it's not as easy to go searching underground and to the edges of the map. The desert typically spawns near enough to spawn for the player to run out to it when digging is still slow and before they can reach the oceans.
I guess your amount of "hassle" would vary depending on world gen. I've started countless worlds where sand via underground was readily available and easy to obtain to brand new characters without needing to venture anywhere near a desert. This is more of a non-issue, or a personal issue dependent on how much value you place on sand blocks specific to a desert biome. I don't see it at all as being so problematic that it requires a solution or something that challenges the merits of the suggestion.

Actually, this brings a question to mind, would this affect all deserts, or just the primary one that goes underground? Because in most of my worlds I come across much smaller desert biomes as well as the primary.
It would most certainly replace all desert biomes, as sometimes pyramids can spawn outside of the primary biome and within a sub desert. And since pyramids are replaced with necrols via the suggestion, the areas in which they spawn would be replaced too.

wow... impressive. One thing that I thought of, corrupt/crimson maggot variants similar to evil bunnies. I realize the scorpion doesn't have them, but it might be fun to have some trouble with maggot stomping. Also perhaps breaking ancient pots having a chance to yield a small horde of maggots?

All the images in this suggestion should be fixed now. If any are missing or still broken or break later, please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom