Mobile The Path Ahead: Major News Updates for Console & Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've actually highlighted the difference between the two platforms yourself; 'old gen' consoles have around 512MB of RAM, but that laptop has 1GB - almost twice as much. Coincidentally, the current Mobile minimum spec is 1GB of RAM (I believe the lowest requirement of all platforms).

You also mention that "the other parts help to ease the load on the ram" however, this isn't the case. That's just not how the components work.

However, I do agree it would be nice to see some QOL additions from 1.3 that don't affect the amount of RAM needed, in addition to updated drop chances.

That is why i compaired the 2. The laptop has 1gb of ram but way worse gpu/cpu. The Xbox has 512 ram but way better cpu/gpu.

With only 512 mb differance with the extra power on the 360 you would think it would make up for just 512 mb.

Im really asking here.
So Terraria only needs ram? I could have a single core 800ghz cpu and the worst on board gpu but as long as i have 4gb of ram it will run fine?

That is why i compaired the 2. The laptop has 1gb of ram but way worse gpu/cpu. The Xbox has 512 ram but way better cpu/gpu.

With only 512 mb differance with the extra power on the 360 you would think it would make up for just 512 mb.

Im really asking here.
So Terraria only needs ram? I could have a single core 800ghz cpu and the worst on board gpu but as long as i have 4gb of ram it will run fine?
Terraria is not processor intensive, it is RAM intensive. A good CPU/GPU can not make up for low RAM amounts as they do different jobs.

It's like trying to use a knife to drink soup - it won't work.

Im really asking here.

CPU/GPU can't "make up for" amount of RAM, it just doesn't work that way. RAM is how much stuff can be stored in memory while CPU/GPU is how fast instructions can be processed. Neither offsets lack of the other. If you have a :red: CPU, but all the RAM in the world, the computer is still going to run as slow as a snail. If you have all the CPU and very little RAM, it doesn't matter how fast you can process instructions if the instructions themselves don't have enough room to be held in the RAM.

You keep admitting that you are not an expert while simultaneously telling the experts that they are wrong and you are right. It... it is confusing.

If all we all we cared about was money, there would have been FAR easier ways to accomplish that - as I laid out before. I know it's hard to believe - but no one here is an evil soulless corporate demon. Not any of the people I work with at Re-Logic or 505 at least. :)

If all we all we cared about was money, there would have been FAR easier ways to accomplish that - as I laid out before. I know it's hard to believe - but no one here is an evil soulless corporate demon. Not any of the people I work with at Re-Logic or 505 at least. :)
IMO your in game armour is pretty demonic :p

Terraria is not processor intensive, it is RAM intensive. A good CPU/GPU can not make up for low RAM amounts as they do different jobs.

It's like trying to use a knife to drink soup - it won't work.

So how does 1.3 run on the laptop fine with 1gb?

Terraria also runs on my 5 year old sons phone that has 512 mb of ram.
This phone is so bad but dont trust him not to break a better phone.

There is also many types of ram. Im pretty sure the laptop from the 2001 is using worse ram than the 360 and the rams have differant speeds. Im not sure here but wouldnt a faster speed Ddr3 ram at 512mb be better than a 1gb sd ram?

So if its only the ram i just dont get it.
[doublepost=1469742691,1469742581][/doublepost]

Im sorry man but all companies are out for money.
With Terraria why didnt they make thier game cross buy on Ps3/Vita? Tons of other games do.

So how does 1.3 run on the laptop fine with 1gb?

Terraria also runs on my 5 year old sons phone that has 512 mb of ram.
This phone is so bad but dont trust him not to break a better phone.

There is also many types of ram. Im pretty sure the laptop from the 2001 is using worse ram than the 360 and the rams have differant speeds. Im not sure here but wouldnt a faster speed Ddr3 ram at 512mb be better than a 1gb sd ram?

So if its only the ram i just dont get it.
Although old gen console's RAM may be faster they do not have a bigger capacity, which is the problem.

Is that phone running the latest version of Terraria? I find it surprising that it's capable of running it if it is!
I also find it surprising that Terraria PC runs fine on 1GB.

CPU/GPU can't "make up for" amount of RAM, it just doesn't work that way. RAM is how much stuff can be stored in memory while CPU/GPU is how fast instructions can be processed. Neither offsets lack of the other. If you have a :red: CPU, but all the RAM in the world, the computer is still going to run as slow as a snail. If you have all the CPU and very little RAM, it doesn't matter how fast you can process instructions if the instructions themselves don't have enough room to be held in the RAM.

You keep admitting that you are not an expert while simultaneously telling the experts that they are wrong and you are right. It... it is confusing.

When did i say i was right? I have said plenty that i am asking a question not telling you.

Your post is confusing. You say that dont help each other but say that you need both at the same time to have something run right?
[doublepost=1469743084,1469742982][/doublepost]
Although old gen console's RAM may be faster they do not have a bigger capacity, which is the problem.

Is that phone running the latest version of Terraria? I find it surprising that it's capable of running it if it is!
I also find it surprising that Terraria PC runs fine on 1GB.

Well they do and yes both are the latest. The pc one is from Gog games and ill make a video showing it on the phone.

When did i say i was right? I have said plenty that i am asking a question not telling you.

Your post is confusing. You say that dont help each other but say that you need both at the same time to have something run right?
[doublepost=1469743084,1469742982][/doublepost]

Well they do and yes both are the latest. The pc one is from Gog games and ill make a video showing it on the phone.
The CPU and RAM can be compared to a knife and fork - both do different jobs but both are needed to eat a meal.

Man that's two cutlery analogies in one thread...

The CPU and RAM can be compared to a knife and fork - both do different jobs but both are needed to eat a meal.

Man that's two cutlery analogies in one thread...

Ok thats all i was saying. You need both. Im not trying to tell anyone anything, I really wanted to know.

Like i said before if it cant run on past gen then whatever. I just feel that they could for sure do more than just add bug fixes.

I do not know how come that gta 5 and battlefield hardline are turned on ps3 and xbox 360 but not version 1.3 terraria , I think both games are bigger than terraria not ? :(

(sorry i use google traduction)

Only certain aspects load up in a certain distance whenit comes to games like GTA5 or Battlefield...you only see certain things...BUT with Terraria EVERYTHING is loaded up all at once even if it's not visible.

Only certain aspects load up in a certain distance whenit comes to games like GTA5 or Battlefield...you only see certain things...BUT with Terraria EVERYTHING is loaded up all at once even if it's not visible.

but why terraria dont make this ? ( not load everything and load just in a certain distance? ) this is not the solution for the ram in old gen and all of other plateform?

but why terraria dont make this ? ( not load everything and load just in a certain distance? ) this is not the solution for the ram in old gen and all of other plateform?
The process is called streaming. 505 said they looked into it, but Terraria's engine just didn't support it.

Ok thats all i was saying. You need both. Im not trying to tell anyone anything, I really wanted to know.
Think how much programming and money it is plus its 10 years old move to next gen
Like i said before if it cant run on past gen then whatever. I just feel that they could for sure do more than just add bug fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom