NPCs & Enemies Town NPC: The Confectioner - Cakes and more!

Supeh Mario

Terrarian
I may or may not add in some more visuals to this suggestion from time to time.
Do you like pastries?
Do you like CAKES?!

I don't know about you, but I know I do.​

So, let's get started.
~INTRODUCTION~

Everyone likes food (assuming that's true).
Especially this guy. Say hi to the Confectioner!

zdm6qVZ.png

So what's so special with Mr. I-Love-Food-With-A-Passion here? He loves to cook. He loves desserts. Which means he loves to bake cakes, cookies and the like. Desserts. He'd be glad to make some for you!

Alright, now that you know what this guy does, what kind of desserts does he make?
Here's a few examples:
ET1TbCF.png
d0cb7N6.png
PsSIw7r.png
ikIvc7S.png

Green names are suggested by others.

Pierre
Gordon
Govind
Jacques
Rocco
Curtis

Mario
Luigi
Antoine
Mordecai
Ramsay

"Ho ho, did the smell of my delicious pastries bring you here, young [man/lady]? That tends to happen quite a lot."
"I once tried to make a cake shaped like an Angel Statue, but the wings refused to stay in place..."
"...HUH?! HUEUH?! Ho! Oh. Hello. I didn't see you there."
"Customers have reported getting pieces of paper in my cookies. I have no memory of putting any of these in my cookies."

~MOVING IN~

The Confectioner will be able to spawn in town during pre-Hardmode and later. However, the player must have placed any kind of Furnace in the house, along with the usual housing requirements. Remember that you can't bake cakes without a furnace!

~THE SHOP~

The Confectioner, like many town NPCs, sells items. He sells:
Spatulas
Gold_Coin.png
Throwing Pies
Copper_Coin.png
Croissants
Silver_Coin.png
Crepes
Silver_Coin.png
Waffles
Silver_Coin.png
Soufflés
Silver_Coin.png
Marshmallows*
Silver_Coin.png
Pumpkin Pies
Silver_Coin.png
Fortune Cookies**
Gold_Coin.png
Sugar Cookies (Holidays)***
Silver_Coin.png
Gingerbread Cookies (Holidays)***
Silver_Coin.png
*Marshmallows will no longer be bought from the Merchant.
**Only 3 can be bought per Terrarian day.
***Holiday cookies will no longer be found in Presents.

~WEAPONRY~

The Confectioner loves to collect Spatulas for some reason. In fact, he has so much that he's selling some of them to everyone willing to buy one!
The Spatula can be used as a basic swinging weapon, like Broadswords.

Spatula
P8EaNMD.png

Weapon Type: Broadsword
Base Damage: 12
Speed: Very Fast
Knockback: Average
Rarity: White
Value:
Silver_Coin.png

That's not all! The Spatula can be reforged into a stronger version: the Fiery Spatula!
It's crafted using the Spatula and Hellstone Bars:

Crafting Station

Iron_Anvil.png

Ingredients
P8EaNMD.png
+
Hellstone_Bar.png
Result
bKdIbOZ.png

The Fiery Spatula is different from the normal Spatula not only by its longer range and superior strength, but with its special ability to shoot tiny flames in an arc, possibly burning your foes!

Fiery Spatula
bKdIbOZ.png

Weapon Type: Broadsword
Damage: 26
Damage (projectile): 5
Speed: Fast
Knockback: Strong
Rarity: Green
Value:
Silver_Coin.png
Specials: Shoots 4 small flames in a small arc.
Weapon and projectiles have a 50% chance to burn foes on contact.​

Still not finished here!
Our mustachioed friend has baked tons of small pies at once by accident, somehow. He doesn't like to talk about it. However, he'd be glad to sell them to you for cheap! They seem to be a bit old, they might have lost their good taste... Perfect for a weapon! Logical!

Throwing Pies
G0DO1Xz.png

Weapon Type: Consumable
Damage: 14
Max Stack: 999
Speed: Fast
Knockback: Average
Rarity: White
Value:
Copper_Coin.png

Throwing Pies are slightly larger than most consumable weapons and have stronger knockback. However, they are heavier and travel a shorter distance.

~FORTUNE COOKIES!~

Base idea courtesy of Baconfry! Thanks!

Fortune Cookies
xBVIhL4.png
In real life, there (usually) is a fortune written on a small piece of paper inside a fortune cookie. In Terraria, eating a Fortune Cookie will give a random buff from the list below, along with a Fortune. Fortunes are messages chosen at random from a list specific to a given buff, or non-specific, that will show up in the chat.

Regeneration.png
Regeneration
Swiftness.png
Swiftness
Ironskin.png
Ironskin
Mana_Regeneration.png
Mana Regeneration
Night_Owl.png
Night Owl
Well_Fed.png
Well Fed
EOUhSsN.png
Lucky
Duration will be of four minutes, regardless of the buff.

White Fortunes are made by me. Green Fortunes are suggested by others.

Random Fortunes:
"Try again."
"This is a piece of paper. What did you expect?"
"Stop eating cookies."
"Eat more cookies."
"Didn't get the buff you wanted? What a shame."
"Help, I'm stuck in a Fortune factory!"
"were you expecting some memes or what"
"No refunds."

Regeneration Fortunes:
"Your heart is a much better guide when you're not dying."
"You will find love today! Or not."
"Your cardio will improve. If you do some cardio exercises, of course."

Swiftness Fortunes:
"RUN."
"Nice legs. I mean, you must be good at running."

Ironskin Fortunes:
"Not dying is a lot easier when you've got enough protection."
"You feel unstoppable!"

Mana Regeneration Fortunes:
"Magic does exist, if you believe... and if you have enough Mana."

Night Owl Fortunes:
"Hoot. Hoot. Wait, that's not a fortune..."
"You are now a spy."

Well Fed Fortunes:
"That was delicious, wasn't it?"
"You feel full and healthy!"

Lucky Fortunes:
"Today will be a lucky day for buffs. Buy more Fortune Cookies!"
"Good fortune and probably Demon Eyes are coming your way."
"Wow, how lucky! So lucky, it makes you feel suspicious!"
"Death awai-- I mean, good luck!"
"Today will be a good day!"

Help me think of some more!

I'm pretty sure you've seen this Lucky buff in that list up there. What does it do? The Lucky buff increases... well... your luck. Having this buff will double the chances for enemies to drop rare items! Thing is, to get this buff, you have to be lucky... Hah. Good luck with that.

EOUhSsN.png

The Lucky buff, randomly
given by Fortune Cookies.

~CAKES!~

The Confectioner bakes all sorts of pastries and sells them to you. But he can make some cakes just like you want them, in front of you, live! Here's how it works:
When you speak to him, choose Bake. A window will appear on the bottom of the screen, much like the Stylist, with many options to choose from on the left side and a preview of the cake on the right. You can choose the size of the cake, its toppings, shape, etc. There are three sizes: Small, Medium and Large. Each element you add to your cake will increase its prize. And you can mix two types of toppings! Fun!

But do these cakes have something special?
You can place them! They make very good decoration. Even though they are edible, they're too pretty to even think of destroying these beauties by slicing them even just a little bit...

...Nah.
You can eat them. Three servings for small cakes, six for medium cakes and ten for large ones. They all give the Well Fed buff when right-clicked, the duration of it depending on what ingredients were used, and it can go from two (default cake) to 20 minutes (cake with maximum of elements used).

On very rare occasions, the cake being made may not end up being the one you were expecting. It might result in a Golden Cake!
4ki0Tz0.png
(This is only an example, shape may vary)

The price remains the same, so no worries. This cake is very special, not only because it's gold and shiny, but instead of giving the normal Well Fed buff, it gives the upgraded version: the Well Fed Plus buff (name not final). The effects normally found in the Well Fed buff are doubled.

TJJVUFt.png

The Well Fed Plus buff, only
given by the rare Golden Cake.

~CONCLUSION~

The Confectioner brings a lot more in the field of pastries! While acting as a merchant NPC, selling things like they all do, he can also bake cakes for you. Personally, I think it's the best part!

There's a few things that I've left out, like placeable Soufflés, among other things. I don't know why I decided to add Spatulas, but I think it's only because Spongebob was playing in the background. Yeah. I also thought of adding a Magic Spatula, which would shoot foodstuffs as projectiles, like Mr. game & Watch in Super Smash Brothers with his frying pan.

I actually did not plan on writing a conclusion, but I guess it helps on wrapping things up.

It's been a pleasure to make this, and feedback would be appreciated! Feel free to suggest Fortunes, as the list is kinda empty for now. Same goes for names and quotes for the Confectioner.
Constructive criticism is welcome.

s7UOwOD.png

Last edited:
Yes, support! Now I'm really hungry, curse you.

Some random fortune ideas:
"Your heart is a much better guide when you're not dieing"
"Never run away from your problems, except for right now"
"Not dieing is a lot easier when you're made of metal"
"Magic does exist, if you believe and have enough mana"
"You will be able to see all those skeletons in the dark"
"You will have just had a delicious cookie"
"Good fortune and probably demon eyes are coming your way"

This is amazing! This is what all suggestions ought to look like.

If there's any way throwable pies are getting into the game, it's through this guy. *nudge, wink*
I did my best when it came to presentation. Thanks!

Throwable pies, hm? Sounds fun! I'll add that later, it's almost 2 AM here...:(

Yes, support! Now I'm really hungry, curse you.

Some random fortune ideas:
"Your heart is a much better guide when you're not dieing"
"Never run away from your problems, except for right now"
"Not dieing is a lot easier when you're made of metal"
"Magic does exist, if you believe and have enough mana"
"You will be able to see all those skeletons in the dark"
"You will have just had a delicious cookie"
"Good fortune and probably demon eyes are coming your way"
I'll be taking some of these, if not all. Thanks!

Oh, one thing I'd like to say: 20 damage for a sword/spatula made with Hellstone doesn't seem right, even if it shoots projectiles. At least make it 26, or something around that range.

Last night I've been doing some heavy editing here and there, because I've noticed that I forgot to specify how one could make the Confectioner spawn, amog other things. Also added some Fortunes. They've been reorganised into categories for each buff, plus a non-specific category.

I've added a nice picture at the bottom. There's a placed Soufflé on the right, but don't start thinking it's actually placeable, because I've made this one before removing placeable Soufflés from this suggestion. Sorry about that.

I've added Throwing Pies in the suggestion. Need some precious feedback on those. I almost never use consumable weapons, so I have no idea if they're balanced.
And now I've noticed that I forgot to mention Baconfry again.
Also forgot to add quotes and names for the Confectioner... I'll take care of those sooner or later...

EDIT:
Forgot to say that I've added Marshmallows to the Confectioner's shop. Those would no longer be bought from the Merchant, and they would be available anytime, anywhere.
Oh, one thing I'd like to say: 20 damage for a sword/spatula made with Hellstone doesn't seem right, even if it shoots projectiles. At least make it 26, or something around that range.
I've been thinking that all of the projectiles and the weapon itself could hit the same target, which would result in a total of 40 damage AND the On Fire! de-buff. I could increase the damage a little, though, if I compare this to the Fiery Greatsword...

Last edited:
Loved the idea! They need to put him on the game.
Here's a quote for him: "The cake isn't a lie, I'm selling it now!"

I like the idea, but with fishing added, there's a really lot of ways to get the well fed buff. A bunch of new buffs for this guy would be good.

Also, he should sell rocket pies in hardmode. They would be identical to normal throwing pies, except they would launch themselves (like rockets from a rocket launcher) with a trail of fire behind them. They would do the same damage and cost the same amount, but they would have extremely high knockback.

Brilliant ideas! I have a few names for him.
----------------
Pierre
Gordon
Govind
Jacques
Rocco
Curtis
-----------------

A lot of those are the names of random "famous" chefs that I found thanks to........Google.

Brilliant ideas! I have a few names for him.
----------------
Pierre
Gordon
Govind
Jacques
Rocco
Curtis
-----------------

A lot of those are the names of random "famous" chefs that I found thanks to........Google.
Ah, famous chef names! This is great. Especially Gordon (because Gordon Ramsay duh).

Support. Very well exectued :)
You know... He could also sell (or bake) some sort of block, a cake or cookie sort of block or something similar and 2 fountains one to make water look white , because milk
And another to make water look like chocolate.

Nice, Support
Why not also adding this buff

Wrath.png
Wrath

Wrath Fortunes:

"
Your getting the annoyed/angered feeling right now"

Back
Top Bottom