Game Mechanics Trophies Buffing Bosses

Snickerbobble

The Painter
Many have suggested trophies should function similarly to banners, making bosses weaker, but what if instead trophies made bosses stronger? After conquering a boss so many times, you'd then put up its trophy to take on a more difficult version.

On a normal world, spawning a boss within an area with a placed trophy would spawn its expert mode version, minus the expert drops. This could allow expert bosses to be fought on a more peaceful normal building world.

On an expert world, instead an even more difficult boss would be spawned instead, with some more new boss mechanics, such as the Eater of Worlds spilling acid on blocks and King Slime stunning you with earth quake ground pounds.

Killing a boss normally would drop a wooden trophy, defeating its buffed version could drop a gold trophy, and when spawned with a gold trophy would spawn a version so difficult an endgame geared character would be recommended, giving us more things to do at the endgame.

What do you think?

That's actually a pretty brilliant idea. I haven't thought of something similar. End game would now be less boring!
tZXyQ3X.png

Idea: In normal worlds, trophies cause bosses to turn into their Expert mode AI, while in expert mode they become even stronger, keeping the same AI.

This is actually a great idea for adding replayability to the game.

However on a side note, perhaps change trophies to be a guaranteed on a certain kill. Wooden trophies should be granted on the 5th Kill. Golden trophies should also be guaranteed on the 5th Kill. And as a reward for beating the uber-buffed bosses you will get a golden Boss Statue.\

I also think that buffed bosses drop more loot. (Plantera/Golem/Wall of Flesh would drop twice/three times as many items & the Moon Lord would drop 1-2 extra items and much more luminite). This would make grinding bosses a lot easier and more fun! It would also be great to add exclusive items to the buffed version of bosses with extra items in expert mode.

How would this work for invasion bosses? Perhaps this opens the possibility of harder invasions later in the game. For example summoning a Pirate Map near a Flying Dutchman Trophy (now guaranteed on the 10th kill) will spawn a much harder version of the invasion. Same thing should happen with the moon events!

And with the lunatic cultist trophy (unimplemented) you could spawn a harder sequence of celestial events.

For clarification there are 4 tiers for every boss. Tier 1 is Normal Mode. Tier 2 is Expert Mode/Buffed Normal Mode. Normal Mode gains the drop rates of Expert Mode but no special expert mode items. Tier 3 is Buffed Expert Mode/Superbuffed Normal Mode. Tier 4 is Superbuffed Expert Mode.

Here's a mockup:

Eye_of_Cthulhu.png

Eye of Cthulhu (Tier 3) Phase 1
Type: Boss
Damage: 50 (Melee)/65 (Charge)/45 (Laser)
Max Life: 22600/22600
Defense: 42
KB Resist: 100%

Now charges with much more speed and occasionally fires lasers that increase proportionally with health lost. Can also dodge attacks by dashing left or right. Now spawns Wandering Eyes instead of Servant of Cthulhus and spawns them while charging.

Eyeofcthulhu.png

Eye of Cthulhu (Tier 3) Phase 2
Type: Boss
Damage: 75 (Normal)/90 (Fast Charge)/55 (Flamethrower)
Max Life: 12200/22600
Defense: 12
KB Resist: 100%

Now fast charges instead of charging and then uses a flamethrower attack that inflicts on-fire. Similar to phase 2 Spazmatism.

Drops:
100% | 12 Gold Coins
28.58% | Eye of Cthulhu Mask
100% | 60-147 Demonite Ore
100% | 6-10 Unholy Water
100% | 40-69 Cursed Arrows
100% | 5-15 Healing Potions
100% | Binoculars (now exclusive to this)
On 5th Kill | Golden Boss Trophy (Expert)/Golden Boss Statue (Normal)
100% | Golden Treasure Bag (Expert Mode Worlds)

Nice suggestion @Snickerbobble :). However, I think the "Gold" trophy version of the boss should drop at a 5% rate. It actually kinda makes sense. Normal is 10%, difficult is 5% for a tougher challenge. This will definitely bring us end gamers down to our knees.

So... MANY people have suggested that trophies act like banners? And i thought i was the only one... Fml

Anyway this is a nice idea, never thought of it like that. Good job.

Excellent. I've been wanting a Superboss in the game for a while now. This isn't quite that, I know, but it would definitely partially slake my thirst for more intense boss fights and need for more badass things to murder.

This is quite a unique suggestion in comparison to other trophy buff threads. I would be more than happy to support this, mostly for the fact that I kill expert plantera without moving, without buff and without healing in under 30 second (excluding the time it takes for her to reach me xD) While it makes farming that much easier there are times I would want a harder fight and I have personally put forward the idea (not in my own thread) that expert should have their own unique guilded trophies.

A higher reward possibility in a unique way I present you this idea. Upon killing an enhanced version (maybe an idea that this is only possible after the moon lord boss) you get a three-sided die which allows you to choose one of three rewards (random every time) meaning you can choose a reward finally getting that one item that never drops. Also meaning you dont have to constantly get items that you do not want or need. Just an idea.

This is actually a great idea!

Why? Well, Trophies currently are useless, and are decoration. Well, this allows for longer lived worlds (since ML is currently the last boss, it is easy for pros to defeat), but also allows for Pre-Hardmode bosses to take revenge and rise.

Imagine Skeletron 3rd tier. Now imagine the final tier of Moon Lord. Yeah, it would be difficult.

I support it!

Many have suggested trophies should function similarly to banners, making bosses weaker, but what if instead trophies made bosses stronger? After conquering a boss so many times, you'd then put up its trophy to take on a more difficult version.

On a normal world, spawning a boss within an area with a placed trophy would spawn its expert mode version, minus the expert drops. This could allow expert bosses to be fought on a more peaceful normal building world.

On an expert world, instead an even more difficult boss would be spawned instead, with some more new boss mechanics, such as the Eater of Worlds spilling acid on blocks and King Slime stunning you with earth quake ground pounds.

Killing a boss normally would drop a wooden trophy, defeating its buffed version could drop a gold trophy, and when spawned with a gold trophy would spawn a version so difficult an endgame geared character would be recommended, giving us more things to do at the endgame.

What do you think?

I definitely prefer the idea of boss trophies buffing bosses instead of weakening them. It would be cool for arenas too (maybe?).

No. I fight a great amount of bosses right next to my house, so if this was added, and I wanted to fight a boss one more time, I would have to make another arena somewhere else. Though, the idea of being able to make bosses turn into expert form is good.
5/10

This sounds like fun. It always gives a great feeling when you rebattle a boss that has gotten much stronger compared to when you last fought it. Better than having Trophies act like banners and gives a motive to rebattle the bosses you've beaten several times and to collect all the trophies.

This is also clever for making the Gold Trophy summoned bosses strong enough to require endgame items without requiring a form of New Game+ or Post Moon Lord Content to serve as a way to make use of the endgame items. Sort of similar to how in some games that have boss rushes have the character at full power and also make all previous bosses strong enough to still be a threat to the player.

Also a new achievement if you killed all bosses in super-buffed mode.

(i just can't imagine Moon Lord in super-buffed mode)

Well, I certainly support. If you beat bosses enough times, they simple become cheesecakes, as you know their patterns and how to fight them. Buffing them and adding different mechanism would pose a challenge for people who may want to beat them, but find them way too easy after killing for a like 50 times. I also think that trophies have fixed, but less frequent drops. Instead of beating boss one time, you would have to do that a few more, to get one, especially the golden. And to make it work properly, these would have to be put by players before summon and using hammer to take it off wouldn't change the mechanics back during the fights.

Back
Top Bottom