Mobile Unknown freeze of Terraria, even after reinstall on iOS

futuregeek

Terrarian
I'm not sure what has happened here and frankly the diagnostic and app data logs are fairly useless. Not Jetsam events, plenty of local free space - not sure what happened other than my son having a meltdown because his game randomly froze and he's lost data.

First and foremost, I am not a player of this game or desire to. I just need it to launch again so my son can play it. Any suggestions here are appreciated and I have an iTunes backup of the device.

iPad mini 2 (iOS 9.3.5 last supported)(I am aware there are newer devices, this is not OS related as the game has been playing fine on this OS for at least a year).
It appeared that something might have happened in the FAQ where the game might have been exited or someone pressed home during the game before saving and exiting. When pressing the home button to see what was running, I found the game running in the background but frozen. If I swiped to exit it and reload it, the title screen would appear and hang then return to the home screen. If I tapped the home button again however, one could again see the same screen - as if the game was running and went past the title screen than never loaded but is still frozen.

The only logs for this app in Diagnostics and App Dev Usage were specific to the app indicating that it was NOT a crash but that the app took to long to scene-create or something to that effect.

Annoyed, I decided to reload the device from a backup from a week back where the game did function for some time. This time, the title screen would show but again not load and once again return to the home screen. If I tapped the home button, I found the game was running the background but this time just the title as before. It's like it never loaded. WTH?

Out of sheer anger, I decided to delete the app and data all together. The app has been reloaded again from the App Store. The same behavior persists. Is there a means to force this app to start? I'm not getting any logs here that are helpful and I'm tempted to run it on Xcode.

Oh the app version I see from the MDM software managing that device is

I'll get a packet capture in a moment (I don't think this is a bug at all).

Hmm, perfect - looks like the backup in iTunes might have not been able to get the app data itself. Grr, seems like there is an issue with one of the servers this application was attempting to communicate with. As far as what was the RCA of the initial freeze, who knows... no bother to reply. At least I now know to tell him to use the cloud backup business and stop saving local if iTunes is not going to properly record the data. I know it was doing an auto-save every 5mins as he told me that and I read it after brushing up on the game FAQ. If anyone has any comment as to where the file structure or his saves are found on macOS or iOS, I would be interested to examine the local iTunes backups for that data prior to the crash. I ended up removing the app data as stated before yet even after restoring the backup, I see the SDK message about this camera thing (I don't dig that, too creepy) and then the game loads - except there is no saved games to play! How weird as iTunes should have backed the app data up just not the app.

I can browse and access the device backups, I just can't locate the damn save files...

I'm not sure what has happened here and frankly the diagnostic and app data logs are fairly useless. Not Jetsam events, plenty of local free space - not sure what happened other than my son having a meltdown because his game randomly froze and he's lost data.

First and foremost, I am not a player of this game or desire to. I just need it to launch again so my son can play it. Any suggestions here are appreciated and I have an iTunes backup of the device.

iPad mini 2 (iOS 9.3.5 last supported)(I am aware there are newer devices, this is not OS related as the game has been playing fine on this OS for at least a year).
It appeared that something might have happened in the FAQ where the game might have been exited or someone pressed home during the game before saving and exiting. When pressing the home button to see what was running, I found the game running in the background but frozen. If I swiped to exit it and reload it, the title screen would appear and hang then return to the home screen. If I tapped the home button again however, one could again see the same screen - as if the game was running and went past the title screen than never loaded but is still frozen.

The only logs for this app in Diagnostics and App Dev Usage were specific to the app indicating that it was NOT a crash but that the app took to long to scene-create or something to that effect.

Annoyed, I decided to reload the device from a backup from a week back where the game did function for some time. This time, the title screen would show but again not load and once again return to the home screen. If I tapped the home button, I found the game was running the background but this time just the title as before. It's like it never loaded. WTH?

Out of sheer anger, I decided to delete the app and data all together. The app has been reloaded again from the App Store. The same behavior persists. Is there a means to force this app to start? I'm not getting any logs here that are helpful and I'm tempted to run it on Xcode.
Hi there @futuregeek, your issue sounds a lot like the old frozen glitch on iOS devices that occurs when a call is received or the device is accidentally locked before saving and exiting the game. From what I understand of the glitch is that the game looks like it’s frozen, but it’s not.

However, with you removing and reinstalling the game from the App Store, I would think that the issue would be fixed.

As for the game data, backups are only made in the game, not to iTunes. If local data is deleted, or the app is removed the local save files are gone permanently. The cloud save data should still be there if you are logged in with the same Apple ID. It can be finicky though, so I always play my games on local, then make a back in the game to a cloud slot. Backup instructions are here: Mobile Backup Instructions

Sorry I’m not more help with the freezing issue. You can try talking with 505 Games (the publisher of the mobile version) and see if they have any extra insight. You’ll need to create an account to open a support ticket. https://support.505games.com/en/support/home

Back
Top Bottom