PS4 Upgrading from Mobile

Hello everyone,

I've been playing Terraria avidly for a while now on mobile, and I absolutely love the game. One thing I notice however while browsing the wiki is that quite a few things are console/desktop exclusive. Is there that much missing from mobile, or is it an illusion?

Now, I have a PS4 and a macbook (have no clue what version anymore or how to check haha), and Terraria seems to be $20, which tempts me considerably.

However, it's worth noting as well that 1.3 for mobile seemed to say it would make all platforms identical in design and content.

So, what are your opinions and thoughts? Do I upgrade? On what? Or do I keep playing on mobile in anticipation of 1.3?

Thank you!

I've been playing Terraria avidly for a while now on mobile, and I absolutely love the game. One thing I notice however while browsing the wiki is that quite a few things are console/desktop exclusive. Is there that much missing from mobile, or is it an illusion?

The Mobile version currently has exclusive content that the PC version doesn't have. It also has the Console Exclusive content of the previous generation console platforms as well.

With the PS4 version equivalent to 1.3 on PC, it currently no longer has the Console Exclusive content, but the update does introduce a largely significant amount of new content that the Mobile version doesn't have yet. This includes the Celestial Pillars event which is the endgame event for Terraria where you ultimately fight the final boss of the game. It brings quality of life features such as a dedicated grappling hook slot, new music for events like the Goblin Invasion, backgrounds, and a few new biomes along with Expert Mode a harder difficulty setting decided at the creation of a new World. There's more than just that, but I'd say the jump from 1.2.4.1 (which Mobile is currently on) to 1.3 is a huge one.

With the content the 1.3 update brings, its more than significant enough to where the loss of the Console/Mobile Exclusives won't feel significant at all.

Pipeworks has stated the Mobile 1.3 update will be arriving in 2019. The decision is up to you on whether you want to buy the Console version or not. If you're fine with the content you have now and enjoy the exclusive content in Mobile, it will be fine to wait for the 1.3 update on Mobile. Otherwise if you want to experience the 1.3 Content, you could purchase the PS4 version or the PC version (which is compatible with Mac). The PC version is several versions ahead of Console & Mobile at this time with Console being on the PC equivalent of 1.3.0.7, and the PC version currently on 1.3.5.3.

Ultimately all the supported platforms of Terraria will get updated to the PC version. It will still take some time until that happens though.

The Mobile version currently has exclusive content that the PC version doesn't have. It also has the Console Exclusive content of the previous generation console platforms as well.

With the PS4 version equivalent to 1.3 on PC, it currently no longer has the Console Exclusive content, but the update does introduce a largely significant amount of new content that the Mobile version doesn't have yet. This includes the Celestial Pillars event which is the endgame event for Terraria where you ultimately fight the final boss of the game. It brings quality of life features such as a dedicated grappling hook slot, new music for events like the Goblin Invasion, backgrounds, and a few new biomes along with Expert Mode a harder difficulty setting decided at the creation of a new World. There's more than just that, but I'd say the jump from 1.2.4.1 (which Mobile is currently on) to 1.3 is a huge one.

With the content the 1.3 update brings, its more than significant enough to where the loss of the Console/Mobile Exclusives won't feel significant at all.

Pipeworks has stated the Mobile 1.3 update will be arriving in 2019. The decision is up to you on whether you want to buy the Console version or not. If you're fine with the content you have now and enjoy the exclusive content in Mobile, it will be fine to wait for the 1.3 update on Mobile. Otherwise if you want to experience the 1.3 Content, you could purchase the PS4 version or the PC version (which is compatible with Mac). The PC version is several versions ahead of Console & Mobile at this time with Console being on the PC equivalent of 1.3.0.7, and the PC version currently on 1.3.5.3.

Ultimately all the supported platforms of Terraria will get updated to the PC version. It will still take some time until that happens though.
Thank you for the response :)

I was aware of the Mobile exclusives (Of which I have experienced most of), but I wanted to get a feel for the expansion associated with an upgrade.

I did also catch the update date being in 2019, but that sounds uncertain to me, and isn't a great indicator of when it'll be out.

I think I may upgrade if I see a promotion of sorts. Do you know when there would be a potential one?

I think I may upgrade if I see a promotion of sorts. Do you know when there would be a potential one?

Not that I know of for sure.

Usually when the game goes on sale, Re-Logic will make posts on their official Twitter and the official Forums here. I'd say keep an eye out for those. They might also say if the Console versions will go on Sale.

You can watch for Forum Announcements by going to the Developer News Section for Consoles by hitting the "watch forum" button on the top right. This way you will receive alerts on your Forum Account anytime a new Thread is made in that section.

Not that I know of for sure.

Usually when the game goes on sale, Re-Logic will make posts on their official Twitter and the official Forums here. I'd say keep an eye out for those. They might also say if the Console versions will go on Sale.

You can watch for Forum Announcements by going to the Developer News Section for Consoles by hitting the "watch forum" button on the top right. This way you will receive alerts on your Forum Account anytime a new Thread is made in that section.
Thank you :)

@Aurora3500

Sorry to tag you a little later, but I was wondering what requirements my laptop would need to run Terraria.

I can run Subnautica (not sure if you know that) moderately well.

What information about my macbook would I need to provide?

@Aurora3500

Sorry to tag you a little later, but I was wondering what requirements my laptop would need to run Terraria.

I can run Subnautica (not sure if you know that) moderately well.

What information about my macbook would I need to provide?

Terraria's system requirements are listed on the Store Page for it on Steam and GOG.

Here's a screenshot of the minimum and recommended requirements:

MCsk69q.png

As long as your Macbook meets the requirements listed here, it will be able to run Terraria.

Terraria's system requirements are listed on the Store Page for it on Steam and GOG.

Here's a screenshot of the minimum and recommended requirements:

MCsk69q.png

As long as your Macbook meets the requirements listed here, it will be able to run Terraria.
Ooh, ok. Just checked, and I don't see anything stopping me.

If I may, what do you play on? Is 'PC' a better experience than console or vice versa?

Ooh, ok. Just checked, and I don't see anything stopping me.

If I may, what do you play on? Is 'PC' a better experience than console or vice versa?

I don't own any of the current generation consoles so I couldn't say for sure about what their experience is like. At this time I've only played Terraria on the PC.

The main benefit of PC overall is updates do come faster. You also have the option of playing with the Controller on PC. The recent Console updates are designed to make the Console experience more streamlined and from what I've seen, the experience has gotten a lot smoother with the 1.3 update for Xbox/PS4. While the Console and Mobile versions are somewhat far behind the PC versions, this is a temporary issue as development will likely shift full speed ahead to getting the other versions up to PC once the Switch and Mobile versions of the game and 1.3 are setup.

I will probably always prefer the PC version personally partially since it's the only way I can play Terraria. But it ultimately is something one has to decide for themselves. Many people do prefer the Console versions, some will prefer Mobile, and then a lot of people prefer PC as well. There are several factors that might contribute to it and I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I don't own any of the current generation consoles so I couldn't say for sure about what their experience is like. At this time I've only played Terraria on the PC.

The main benefit of PC overall is updates do come faster. You also have the option of playing with the Controller on PC. The recent Console updates are designed to make the Console experience more streamlined and from what I've seen, the experience has gotten a lot smoother with the 1.3 update for Xbox/PS4. While the Console and Mobile versions are somewhat far behind the PC versions, this is a temporary issue as development will likely shift full speed ahead to getting the other versions up to PC once the Switch and Mobile versions of the game and 1.3 are setup.

I will probably always prefer the PC version personally partially since it's the only way I can play Terraria. But it ultimately is something one has to decide for themselves. Many people do prefer the Console versions, some will prefer Mobile, and then a lot of people prefer PC as well. There are several factors that might contribute to it and I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Sorry for the late reply - I agree, that's something missing from mobile.

Think I might just join the 'PC' community ;)

Hey, upgrading to console is definitely worth it. Terraria on mobile is very fun but it is missing a lot of content. If you decide to get it on PS4 I would be happy to help you get to hard mode.

I haven't played anything on PC, i do believe consoles are a good experience to play on. AT LEAST try it on old gens. Here are some differences between New Gen Consoles and PC (that i know of)

PC: Has more stuff (i edited this because it said has more consoles than consoles xD ) than consoles, and there is a modding comunity (There is a ILLEGAL modding comunity on Consoles, though, but it's illegal. Im not encouraging to do it, though.)

Console: Has some exclusive content (seen on mobile, too). The armors of Ocram are now vanity instead of actual armor. (bias start) It just feels good holding the controller. (bias end) Though, all the mapping stuff can't be used.

Is it still to late to make an influence in ur decision?

Last edited:
The only real differences performance wise is load times when it's PC vs console, otherwise it's almost identical performance.

Back
Top Bottom