TCF Suggestion user notes / nicknames like discord

Maybe instead of making it like Discord, we should be able to set nicknames for oðer players ðat don't change. So you can keep track of who's who even when ðey change, instead of ðem changing ðeir own nicknames as ðey change ðeir user names.
yeah that's what I mean by discord nicknames
like friend nicknames without the friend part
There are the profile numbers, e. g. Redigit = 27, me = 267394 which never change.
we don't refer to people by their passport ids

Overall this is unlikely to happen, and I don't see the need to have this feature for the Forums. Whenever a person wants to have a new name, they can change it through their account settings. In general, that will be the name they prefer to be known as instead. It would also become more confusing if there were two names to keep track of for different users. Generally if there are users that you regularly interact with, it'll be easy to know and remember who they are even if they've changed their name and profile picture based on their post history.

The Previous Names tab was visible to everyone in the far past, but that eventually changed in order to respect the privacy of users who don't want their old usernames known to others. Especially for users who may have registered on the forums with their real names or have other information in their names that could be sensitive and don't desire to have them known. Having a "main" username that could never be changed if a user registers under those circumstances would result in a negative experience of the Forums if one had a main username that couldn't changed like their nickname.

I can see how it benefits Discord due to the nature of being in different servers. Perhaps in one server one would like to have a nickname in a small server group while still having it not be their main name. Ultimately TCF is one server though. I fail to see how it would be beneficial enough to add to the Forums.

Having a nickname/tag name kinda means having 2 names, where one of them can't change at all, I don't think that's helpful if you prefer a new identity
Overall this is unlikely to happen, and I don't see the need to have this feature for the Forums. Whenever a person wants to have a new name, they can change it through their account settings. In general, that will be the name they prefer to be known as instead. It would also become more confusing if there were two names to keep track of for different users. Generally if there are users that you regularly interact with, it'll be easy to know and remember who they are even if they've changed their name and profile picture based on their post history.

The Previous Names tab was visible to everyone in the far past, but that eventually changed in order to respect the privacy of users who don't want their old usernames known to others. Especially for users who may have registered on the forums with their real names or have other information in their names that could be sensitive and don't desire to have them known. Having a "main" username that could never be changed if a user registers under those circumstances would result in a negative experience of the Forums if one had a main username that couldn't changed like their nickname.

I can see how it benefits Discord due to the nature of being in different servers. Perhaps in one server one would like to have a nickname in a small server group while still having it not be their main name. Ultimately TCF is one server though. I fail to see how it would be beneficial enough to add to the Forums.
No no this is all a misunderstanding
I admit my wording can be a bit confusing
What I'm asking for is something like Discord's friend nicknames which is something you give to the user yourself, not server nicknames

Personally, while I'm not certain if it's possible, I'd say a possible solution to this may be allowing the visibility of the previous names tab to be a setting?

I remembering seeing this being mentioned before but I can't remember if it was as a suggestion or just something mentioned between other users, or if there was ever an official answer to it or not.

No no this is all a misunderstanding
I admit my wording can be a bit confusing
What I'm asking for is something like Discord's friend nicknames which is something you give to the user yourself, not server nicknames

Assigning names to other users only you can see it sounds like. I can see the benefit of that.

I can't promise that it will happen. Ultimately, it would likely need to be added into the forum software in a future update. That's something the Xenforo developers would decide. We can look into if there are any add ons that allow that capability, but still no guarantees on if it would be practical to be added.

Personally, while I'm not certain if it's possible, I'd say a possible solution to this may be allowing the visibility of the previous names tab to be a setting?

I remembering seeing this being mentioned before but I can't remember if it was as a suggestion or just something mentioned between other users, or if there was ever an official answer to it or not.

The only settings available from the admin end are to allow everyone to see previous names, a person only being able to see their own names and forum staff, or not being able to see even one's own previous names at all. There's no setting that allows users to individually decide if their previous names are public or private.

If a future forum software update does allow for users to set the visibility themselves, we'll look into that.

Couldn't you just have a toggle in the settings that changes this?

Back
Top Bottom