Resolved Username change questions

So, to go with my new glitchy profile, I have to have a glitchy looking name, this brings up question one.

(Also sorry if this is in the wrong place. This is the best place I could think to put it)

Am I allowed to use fonts for my username? I received a message that my username was declined because of using /] to make a D, but I also had a heavily fonted O and G, so my question is, if I used a font for the D, would that have been ok?

Example: 🅳 Ⓞ『G』

This leads to question two

When a username is declined, why do I have to wait until when I’d normally have to change my username again (for me this is just a few days) to change it? I understand making the user wait if it was profanity or other issues that conflict with the TOS, but mine was simply having characters in a username that weren’t allowed.

Which leads to my last question. How come /] isn’t allowed, but a ’ is, like in @Lapis Lazuli’ [On hiatus] ‘s name? Where do you guys draw the line with characters other than text?

Sorry if any of this seems kinda hostile or heated, that’s not my intention.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

So, to go with my new glitchy profile, I have to have a glitchy looking name, this brings up question one.

(Also sorry if this is in the wrong place. This is the best place I could think to put it)

Am I allowed to use fonts for my username? I received a message that my username was declined because of using /] to make a D, but I also had a heavily fonted O and G, so my question is, if I used a font for the D, would that have been ok?

When a username is declined, why do I have to wait until when I’d normally have to change my username again (for me this is just a few days) to change it? I understand making the user wait if it was profanity or other issues that conflict with the TOS, but mine was simply having characters in a username that weren’t allowed.

Which leads to my last question. How come /] isn’t allowed, but a ’ is, like in @Lapis Lazuli’ [On hiatus] ‘s name? Where do you guys draw the line with characters other than text?

Wut

Wise guy huh? Keep it moving child. I'm willing to guarantee it won't happen, you can thank me later.
Christ

All I’m getting at is that saying “oh I bet that won’t work” doesn’t help anything. Seriously, what’s the point in saying “probably not” to a question? I asked a question of the mods, and I’ll wait for their answers.

I admit that was kind of a rude comment on my part, but it was all in attempt to make a point.

Most problems rise from the moderators needed to be able to mention you in a post. Therefore, they prefer that characters near the start of your name are pretty standard, so they can easily be typed. Or, at least that's what I've heard.

As the bbcode can be entered manually by simply checking the user number on someones profile, I assume it's more of an ease of use thing or something. But you'd have to wait for the mods to get a full explanation.

Most problems rise from the moderators needed to be able to mention you in a post. Therefore, they prefer that characters near the start of your name are pretty standard, so they can easily be typed. Or, at least that's what I've heard.

As the bbcode can be entered manually by simply checking the user number on someones profile, I assume it's more of an ease of use thing or something. But you'd have to wait for the mods to get a full explanation.
I have special characters in front of this name even.

what’s the problem then? If my username started with / and ], would it not be easier than having to copy and paste whatever the hell that is that’s infront and behind the word captain?

mildly confused on this

I'm guessing that they don't want a username with 99% of the characters being fonts/characters you normally wouldn't be able to type without special keyboards/weird inputs (excluding Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Russian characters because they exist) since trying to mention someone with just a letter (like the G in your example) would suck.

Well imo it's because ' and [ ] are available on all keyboards, but then I'm not sure about your current username being accepted. My bet is that the /] messes up the code or smth since closing a BBCode needs [/ ], like [/SPOILER]. Idk

P.S. I completely forgot about Σ being accepted, but that's probably because their name starts with normal characters and the sigma being the only symbol, plus it's at the back

Hi there @【Captain】

Generally speaking we like to have the first three characters of a username be standard characters, and not special characters, and it’s for ease of use in tagging.

Sometimes, you’ll see usernames that don’t fall into this, and there can be a couple reasons why. If a member started off with that name (we don’t want to manually approve each new member as that would create a huge delay and a sizable amount of time/work), or if we make a mistake and accidentally approve one - this can happen if the staff member momentarily forgets to check if the username uses special characters at the front, or if the staff member erroneously thinks that the new username is using characters that may look special but can still be tagged, but in actuality it can’t. Which is what I think may have happened with your current username.

I wish the system didn’t count a rejection/decline as a change - I don’t think the member should have to wait out that time. Right now I’m not sure I can do anything about that other than offer to manually change the username to something else that is accepted.

To answer some other questions I see, you can manually tag someone like so…
[user=239617]@【captain】[/user] will turn into @【captain】

It‘s no problem at all to ask these questions and the forum staff is here to help. If I missed something, or if there or other questions please feel free to ask.

Hi there @【Captain】

Generally speaking we like to have the first three characters of a username be standard characters, and not special characters, and it’s for ease of use in tagging.

Sometimes, you’ll see usernames that don’t fall into this, and there can be a couple reasons why. If a member started off with that name (we don’t want to manually approve each new member as that would create a huge delay and a sizable amount of time/work), or if we make a mistake and accidentally approve one - this can happen if the staff member momentarily forgets to check if the username uses special characters at the front, or if the staff member erroneously thinks that the new username is using characters that may look special but can still be tagged, but in actuality it can’t. Which is what I think may have happened with your current username.

I wish the system didn’t count a rejection/decline as a change - I don’t think the member should have to wait out that time. Right now I’m not sure I can do anything about that other than offer to manually change the username to something else that is accepted.

To answer some other questions I see, you can manually tag someone like so…
[user=239617]@【captain】[/user] will turn into @【captain】

It‘s no problem at all to ask these questions and the forum staff is here to help. If I missed something, or if there or other questions please feel free to ask.
Thanks for all the help! I have just one question left I think.

Do spaces count as special characters, or no, since they’re easy to input.

Also, I’m assuming fonts are allowed, because you. can ping people with fonts just by using normal letters. That’s why I had to add the weird things in front and behind my name, cause with fonts it said it was taken still.

So is that correct?

Thanks for all the help! I have just one question left I think.

Do spaces count as special characters, or no, since they’re easy to input.

Also, I’m assuming fonts are allowed, because you. can ping people with fonts just by using normal letters. That’s why I had to add the weird things in front and behind my name, cause with fonts it said it was taken still.

So is that correct?
Spaces don't count as special characters, no.

I'm unsure about fonts - this may be a case in which if it's easily taggable using regular standard characters that would be fine. I'm not 100% sure that they are though. Or they might be on a computer, but on a tablet/phone they might present a problem. Do you have an example?

Spaces don't count as special characters, no.
Alright
I'm unsure about fonts - this may be a case in which if it's easily taggable using regular standard characters that would be fine. I'm not 100% sure that they are though. Or they might be on a computer, but on a tablet/phone they might present a problem. Do you have an example?
Let’s say I did something like Bolded Courier New font, which is in the font menu.

So D O G.

It’s accessible on all devices if you can open the forums, so would that be ok?

I don't believe that you can specify a font (or color) within a user name. Only Unicode characters. The font itself is constant across the forum as far as user names are concerned.

Characters such as dingbats and 'graphical' characters cause things like the 'members online', member cards and other things to be displayed oddly or in visually disruptive ways. Same for things like zalgo sequences.

Back
Top Bottom