tModLoader Various Weathers

Discussion in 'Released' started by Yuyutsu, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Yuyutsu

Yuyutsu Dungeon Spirit

Hello all! Yuyutsu here, and I'd like to introduce you to a mod I've been working on for the past couple months. Welcome to:

icon.png Various Weathers icon.png

Various Weathers is a mod that focuses on adding multiple small weather events to Terraria! There are currently 10 different weather effects! Their occurrence will be discussed in further detail down below. Some events have additional content attached to them, but some are nothing more than custom weather effects. Try talking to an NPC to find out what you can do during some weather effects!

Weather effects have a predetermined chance of occurring at the start or end of every day (4:30 AM or 7:30 PM). Some weathers need prerequisites (for example, it needs to be raining for Thunderstorms to occur). Some weather effects can occur in tandem, but most only occur by themselves.

Let's jump right into each weather effect!
    Light Rain/Heavy Rain

The rain is slowing to a drizzle!
    The storm grows torrential...

Light showers or heavy storms have a chance of occurring when it rains. For one day, rain is either extremely light or very, very heavy (the screen darkens and visibility is near zero). This weather has no additional content.

divider.png

Hail

It's Hailing!

Hail can occur anywhere (except for the desert) but is most common in the Snow Biome! It only occurs while raining. Ice Slimes can spawn anywhere during Hail.

divider.png

Heat Wave

It's getting really hot...

Heat waves can occur any day when it's not raining. The heat slows you down and impairs your vision. Try cooling of in water, underground, or in the Ice Biome!

divider.png

Wind/Heavy Wind

It's getting windy outside!/The wind is roaring!

Windy days can occur occasionally, changing the Wind Speed to a moderate 20mph for a day. However, rare roaring winds can occur, yielding 50mph winds that push the player back! Head underground to seek refuge from these powerful gusts!

divider.png

Thunderstorms

Watch out! A thunderstorm is brewing!
    Lightning.PNG
    Thunderstorms can occur at any time while it is raining. Lightning strikes are common above-ground, coupled with new thunder effects! Additional content is as follows:
    FlyingFish (5).png VoltaicElemental.png
    Gliding Voltfish- A variant of the Flying Fish that can electrify nearby players!
    Voltaic Elemental- A sentient mass of rubble that is supercharged by electricity! Spawns in Hardmode at nighttime, and shoots out small beams of fluctuating electricity at the player!
    VoltStaff.png
    Fluxvolt Staff- Shoots out three beams of fluctuating electricity. Drops from Voltaic Elementals occasionally.

divider.png

Meteor Shower

Meteor shower inbound! It's going to be a beautiful night...
    Meteor.PNG

Meteor Showers occur post EoW at nighttime! Multiple vibrant and different colored meteors rain down from the sky, bringing with them a whole host of otherworldly enemies!
    MWormHead (5).png Probe.png MeteorSlime (11).png Blob (8).png
    Ion Courser- A new, fiery worm found in the Meteor Biome during Meteor Showers!
    Celestial Probe- An astral spaceship that shoots beams at the player! It can spawn anywhere.
    Celestial Slime- An astral slime with starry energy coursing within. It can spawn anywhere.
    Panspermic Blob- A monstrous blob that sucks the lifeforce out of nearby players. It can emerge from a crashed meteor.
    AstralStaff.png MeteorStaff.png
    Celestial Conduit- Summons a spatial rift that shoots beams at nearby enemies! Drops from Celestial Slimes/Probes rarely.
    Meteor Shower- Rains down meteors from the sky and from the staff itself for some deadly crossfire. Drops from Celestial Probes and Ion Coursers rarely.

divider.png

Jellyfish Swarm

The Ocean is glowing on the horizon!
    Jellyfish (1).png

The ocean seems to be teeming with new waves of Jellyfish! During this time, the ocean will literally glow as only Jellyfish will spawn in the waters. Pink, Blue, and Green Jellyfish have a chance of spawning, as well as certain new Jellies! New fishing catches are available too! It's far easier to catch all types of jellyfish bait.

EthericJellyfish (2).png VoltaicJellyfish (4).png ThermalJellyfish (2).png
    Etheric Jellyfish- A rare jellyfish that creates shadow clones of itself tow attack the player. Upon death, it creates a vortex that suffocates the player.
    Voltaic Jellyfish- A jellyfish that electrifies the player!
    Thermal Jellyfish- A fiery jellyfish that burns the player with a stronger burn that can sap your life even underwater! It explodes when dying as well, so watch out.
    ThermalJelly.png EtherJelly.png VoltJelly.png ThermalCage.png VoltaicCage.png EthericCage.png StickyJelly.png VoltaicCell.png ThermalCore.png EthericCharm.png
    Jellyfish Bait and Jellyfish Jars- Can be caught at the ocean.
    Viscous Jelly- A throwing weapon that can be caught en-masse and thrown at enemies. They stick to enemies and slow them down!
    Voltaic Cell- Drops from Voltaic Jellyfish rarely. Electrifies the 'Viscous Jelly' weapon and causes it to completely stun enemies.
    Thermal Core- Drops from Thermal Jellyfish rarely. Direct melee hits in enemies cause them to combust
    Etheric Vortex- Killing enemies may create large lift field that propels enemies upwards.

divider.png

Acid Rain

A putrid Acid Rain is setting in...
    AcidRain.PNG

Acid Rains are a dangerous event that can occur in Hardmode during the rain! The player and all enemies are afflicted by the 'Acid' debuff which deals damage and cuts defense slightly. The player is also beset by acidic enemies that are quite dangerous. However, make sure you scour the world, for new plants are growing that can cure your ailments...
    A couple ideas were based on this old suggestion by @SzGamer227 so be sure to check it out!

Imported_piskel_1_7.png Imported_piskel.png Imported_piskel_1_2.png Masteroid_(Medium) (1) (1) (4).png Tentacle_Cluster_1.png HazmatZombie (2).png
    Sulfurous Nimbus- An acidic version of the Angry Nimbus that rains acid on the player!
    Nitric Horror- A teleporting monster that periodically creates healing bolts that heals nearby enemies if their health was low.
    Acid Slime- A slime that gets far more aggressive if its health is lowered
    Tentablob- A slow blob of eyes that releases spurts of eyes whenever it is hit. Releases three tentagnats when killed!
    Tentagnat- A fast moving eyeball that quickly rushes at the player.
    Hazmat Zombie- A slow, tough zombie that is clad in Hazmat gear.

Tentacle_Cluster.png Tentacle_Cluster_2_2 (1) (1) (1).png
    Tentacle Cluster- Drops from Tentablobs/gnats. Crafts multiple potions and furniture.

ToxictopTile.png ToxictopItem.png ToxicPotion.png AcidFlask.png AcidEyePotion.png
    Toxictop- Grows on grass during Acid Rain! It is poisonous, but it can be used in many potions.
    Toxictop Brew- Increases melee crit chance and speed at the cost of life regeneration.
    Flask of Acid- Melee weapons coat enemies in acid.
    Wardeye Potion- Grants immunity to the Acid debuff!

HazmatHelm.png Razoreye.png Hornet.png Tentabow.png
    Hazmat Helmet- Drops from Hazmat Zombies rarely. Grants immunity to the 'Acid' debuff. Works in vanity slots too!
    Razoreye- A homing boomerang that can drop from all Acid Rain enemies.
    Hornet- A very rare gun that drops from any enemy. Its shots create lingering pools of acid.
    Tentabow- Drops from Tentablobs and Gnats rarely. Occasionally shoots out a spurt of eyes as well as arrows.

Additionally, all enemies have banners!

Make sure to check out our Discord Server for special spoilers, regular updates, indepth discussions, and more!

Download:
    Available on the Mod Browser and the attached file. Enjoy!
    Huge thanks to @Godslayer (lol) for the mod icon, and @TerrorPenguin for the Creep Cluster tile
    Huge thanks to @East, @jopojelly, @Kachow and @Boffin for help with code!

Please let me know what you think! Any and all feedback is appreciated. All ideas for future weather events are also welcomed. I'm brainstorming some more interesting weather effects with a few people, so stay tuned. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    Sapharan, Nova Dee, Theo and 18 others like this.
  2. Mrrp

Mrrp Terrarian

Looks beautiful

Wigmr and Yuyutsu like this.
  3. TheWorfer27

TheWorfer27 Retinazer

Is this compatible with the weather radio?

4. Fortanono

Fortanono Retinazer

This is actually amazing. Thank you!

Yuyutsu likes this.
  5. Yuyutsu

Yuyutsu Dungeon Spirit

Nah, I still need to figure out how to do that. However, you do get a little notification every time the weather changes!

6. Snowrain

Snowrain Golem

I absolutly love the idea of different types of weather and I really hope you'll continue to update this.

Wigmr, FiveSix78 and Yuyutsu like this.
  7. Fortanono

Fortanono Retinazer

No worldgen, right? Cause I might wanna add this to my modpack.

Yuyutsu likes this.
  8. Yuyutsu

Yuyutsu Dungeon Spirit

Nope; this can be added at any time.

Also, thanks to the great @Boffin, we've got some spicy weather coming your way:
    ash.gif

9. Fortanono

Fortanono Retinazer

Also, maybe make Toxictop an underground plant so that you can more easily survive being outside? Like, so the progression would be go underground, get herb, brew potion, go back to surface. Just a thought.

Yuyutsu likes this.
  10. Yuyutsu

Yuyutsu Dungeon Spirit

Perhaps, but that would incentivize the player to skip the event (which only occurs aboveground) in order to then find a way to mitigate the negative effects of the event, rendering it quite impotent. In short, there’s gotta be some challenge to obtaining Toxictops- are you willing to step into the Acid Rain to do it? :)

11. Yuyutsu

Yuyutsu Dungeon Spirit

Hey guys, a new update is up!

Various Weathers v0.2.0.1
    New content:
    - Added 2 new weather events- Wind and Heavy Wind! with custom wind speeds detectable by the Weather Radio! Both have noticeable on-screen effects.
    Fixes/Changes:
    - Changed the knockback of the pools of Acid released by the Hornet.
    Download:
    on the Mod Browser or with the attached link (here or on the OP).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    FiveSix78 and Sir AFK like this.
  12. csch1

csch1 Terrarian

This looks amazing. I assume it is not compatible with Terraria Overhaul though, since both add lightning/thunderstorms. Any chance for compatibilty in the future?

Yuyutsu likes this.
  13. Yuyutsu

Yuyutsu Dungeon Spirit

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be compatible, both code Thunderstorms/Lightning differently. I haven’t tested it, though.

14. Vlad Terrarian

Vlad Terrarian The Destroyer

Wow, it looks great as usual! Pretty fun to play it with Spirit mod!:happy:

Wigmr and Yuyutsu like this.
  15. Yuyutsu

Yuyutsu Dungeon Spirit

I’m working on the next update currently, and I’d really like you guys to help me out with some suggestions!

Would you like to see:
    - More small, frequent weather events (like wind, heavy rain). If so, what?
    - Larger events with more content and associated enemies/items. If so, what?
    - Do you prefer one or the other?

Thanks! :D

Sir AFK and Vlad Terrarian like this.
  16. TheWorfer27

TheWorfer27 Retinazer

Personally, I'd be interested in some more control over it all. With so many events, there should definetely be something to get what you want.

Yuyutsu likes this.
  17. csch1

csch1 Terrarian

Can confirm that Terraria Overhaul plays nice with this mod so far. Thunderstorms are a bit odd with two different types of lightning but it still works!

Yuyutsu likes this.
  18. Wigmr

Wigmr Terrarian

Excellent mod! Spicing up every Terraria day.

The rain events though (hail, t-storm, acid rain, and downpour change), they seem a bit off. With how Terraria handles rain, you could get a 1-second thunderstorm or acid rain if bad timing occurs. Acid rain is particularly bad when this happens; it essentially becomes a green day.
    https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Rain

Actual chances for Rain/Blizzard are 1 in 475,200 per game tick. There are 60 ticks per real-world second, or in-game minute. So, throughout a full in-game day, the chance of rain is about 16.6%. This is equivalent to a storm occurring every six in-game days, or every 2 hours and 24 minutes in real-time.

I'm no master of code, but maybe for rain events perform the randomization about a minute after a rain starts. Maybe, after a while, another randomization occurs to possibly start a different rain event.
    1:00 - Rain starts.
    2:00 - Mod rolls the dice. 50% chance nothing will change, 30% chance to change to light/heavy rain, 10% chance thunderstorm, 10% chance hail, 10% chance acid rain if in hardmode (this will be change nothing in pre-hm)
    7:00 - Roll dice again.

When rain stops, all modded events stop.
    These percents and time frames probably aren't the best.:confused:

Also, I'm not a big fan of the windy day event, but it's probably just me. I like constantly changing wind.
    Here's another suggestion.
    Mod keeps an eye on the wind speed whenever it starts changing.
    If wind is greater than or equal to 40mph (any direction), "It's getting windy outside!" will post in chat and wind effects will show.
    If wind is greater than or equal to 60mph (any direction), "The wind is roaring!" will post in chat and Mighty Wind will be inflicted, like the roaring winds currently present.

Note: Experiments on future posts make these numbers extremely inaccurate...

Good luck with development! My ideas might not suit the style you're going for or they may be too hard to code, so it's ultimately your choice. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Yuyutsu likes this.
  19. Yuyutsu

Yuyutsu Dungeon Spirit

Thank you so much for the feedback! I’m really glad you’re enjoying the mod.

I’ll be sure to edit the rain events to start after rain is present with some kind of timer.

As for rolling the dice on certain weather events, I’ll have to tinker with that code. I’ll keep you guys posted, though!

I’ll definitely change the wind events to start when it gets windy naturally instead of artifically changing the wind. I’m not sure how high vanilla wind gets speed-wise, though, so I’m not sure what the base speeds of light/heavy wind should be.

Thanks again :)

Wigmr likes this.
  20. Sir AFK

Sir AFK Terrarian

This mod is truly beautiful. It make me really happy to see. Good work.

Wigmr, Yuyutsu and ShadowTiger like this.