tModLoader Vibrant Reverie (formerly W1K's Mod Redux)

So hummmmm...

So, its expected of the player to know that these 3 bosses, which completely annihilate players in Expert mode, that you can't actually damage them too fast or they just stop and regen 100? Also, i've been using the fire imp staff, which fires as soon as possible and deals constant fire debuff, which damages them. My character personally does a ton of damage, so that might be it, but i've yet to drop it beyond 500 damage, even taking it slow. I don't if its all intended, but it feels like these things are just undying. (Phoenix, i get it, but maybe these are a bit much for us silly players)
Yes, quite honestly, they're very silly. The initial design is not top notch, even worse, minions were not a thing back when they were initially made, nor was Expert mode.

Although over the years I have constantly modified the phoenix to be less frustrating to fare against (mind, the projectiles have been severely nerfed since the original Reborn design, the healing mechanic has also been made less punishing and reset of the damage counter has been made instant) I can't help but think their design is ultimately flawed.
Their challenge relies on a silly gimmick, interesting by itself, but hard to figure out for blind players and posing no real challenge other than denying debuffs and minions, which should not be denied to begin with.

I've never wanted to change their core mechanics too far from their original design, especially the healing aspect of it, but I've been pondering to redesign them, get completely rid of the dumb healing mechanic and maybe keep a similar "too much dps = harder fight" system, but this time ignoring minions and debuffs, simply increasing its own firepower and not punishing the player into a never ending fight. This way the phoenix reborn gimmick remains but it is not quite as frustrating (or straight out ridiculous) to deal with, while players who want a slow and steady fight can still intentionally play the low-dps game to ensure themselves an easier victory.

@W1K, will you be respriting the bosses? Because they kind of look sub-par to big mods like Thorium and Calamity. If someone already posted this or you've mentioned it before, I'm sorry for wasting your time if they did :p

@W1K, will you be respriting the bosses? Because they kind of look sub-par to big mods like Thorium and Calamity. If someone already posted this or you've mentioned it before, I'm sorry for wasting your time if they did :p
No resprites are in planning, but I do always accept improved sprites if ever someone will be as generous to provide them.

Sorry for the shameless bump but I have an update on the phoenix issue.

Enjoy the amazingly high quality gif.

a668334759.gif

To explain what is going on, since the tModLoader release every Phoenix AI had a temporary "rage mode" added to them upon entering and leaving "rebirth" mode", it was added as a way of increasing the punishment inflicted to the player as result of their heal mechanic being nerfed. Now, despite "rebirth mode" still being functional, it does not provide healing to the phoenix anymore (effectively killing the ridiculous "too much dps = never-ending fight" cycle).

To compensate for the absolute murder of the healing mechanic, I have improved upon the phoenix rage mode.
Ardorix specifically will now shoot a stream of fire upon leaving rebirth mode, it tracks the player's movement and the only way to avoid it is fast and effective horizontal movement. It is perfectly avoidable with hermes boots alone and smart navigating of the terrain.
Even more interestingly, during this new and improved rage-mode, the phoenix will NOT build their internal damage counter, which means it's possible to unleash hell on the phoenix without forcing them back into rebirth mode, at least not as long as their rage attack-mode is active (as seen in the gif, a constant stream of StarWrath does not trigger rebirth mode until rage mode comes to an end, upon which extreme DPS triggers rebirth instantly).

The attack pattern is unique to Ardorix and I plan for the other phoenix to have a different rage-mode, but the concept will stay the same otherwise.
Each phoenix will now enter a short rage-mode upon dealing too much dps, at which point it will unleash a stronger than usual attack pattern, but temporarily disabling the phoenix damage counter. This effectively means it's now possible to DPS your way through the fight without getting stuck in an endless cycle at the cost of having to deal with the extra bit of difficulty. For players who want the slow and steady way, they can still try to maintain DPS low and completely avoid triggering rage-mode.

I'm currently also looking for a way to avoid the inclusion of damage generated from debuffs and minions to the damage counter.

Last edited:
Looks like a great change! While I was kinda ok with the HP regen part, the change to a rage mode fits Terraria's battle style a little easier and will make it more manageable for some loadouts.

Is there a recommended way to take on these birds, I really cannot defeat them, like at all.
Mobility definitely helps with all of them, as with pretty much any other boss, optimal arena conditions do help.

Ardorix has been designed to challenge horizontal mobility, as the underworld's environment mostly expands as such, wide bridges help as long as you can keep track of the projectiles trajectories and try to stand in the gaps. The trail of fire can take big turns but is overall rather predictable.
Arborix relies on mobility more than the others, having an easy way around the jungle helps avoiding its projectiles explosions. It was mainly designed to challenge the player to manipulate the trajectory of the projectiles while moving away from their predicted explosion as fast as possible. Basically trick the phoenix to shoot in the left corner of the arena while you dodge to the right, then vice-versa.
Aquatix relies on fast dodging, so any source of instant movement helps (such as double jumps, rocket boots, shield of cthulhu). The trick is keeping track of the projectiles movements, where they will reach and where they will move next while dancing between them.

DPS does help, but it's essential to multitask and keep track of the size of the particles they emit, as the more damage they get, the bigger the particles get, and once the threshold is hit they will go invulnerable and heal. Not dealing any sort of damage for a few seconds resets the counter noticeable as the particles will (almost) disappear and a special smoke effect will show as soon as it resets. It's essential (and I am planning on changing this in the future) to avoid using damaging debuffs and minions as they will not discriminate and just keep building the counter indefinitely.

Interesting...
Where i can see boss-progression for this mod?
The very old experimental wiki should still hold a certain degree of validity. The most important things to keep in mind are:
- Firax is now called Ardorix (and for some reason, neither Firax or Ardorix are an entry on the wiki).
- The phoenix eggs can still be dropped from their respective biomes as before (Arborix from jungle wasps, Aquatix from sharks, Ardorix from imps), however they are now also craftable using their respective biomes materials.

For a list of the current bosses, their spawners and the tier they have been designed for:
Yian Kut-Ku: Golden Feather (ask Guide for recipe, feathers are a requirement), before or right after Eye of Cthulhu
Ardorix: Fiery Egg (Guide for recipe, hellstone bars are a requirement), before WoF
Arborix: Grassy Egg (Guide for recipe, jungle spores are a requirement), before WoF
Aquatix: Watery Egg (Guide for recipe, corals are a requirement), before WoF
Ivy Plant: Cursed Flower (Guide for recipe, jungle materials, souls of light are a requirement), early hardmode
Death: Bloody Skull (Guide for recipe, vampire blood are a requirement and can be found from vampire phantoms during new moons or blood moons), before mech bosses
Rathalos: Mystery Ticket (Guide for recipe, requires souls of light, night and thick paper made from wood), before mech bosses
Ridley: Metroid Capsule (Guide for recipe, thick gel are a requirement and can be found from metroids in granite caves), before mech bosses
Okiku: Ominous Mask (Guide for recipe, mainly requires Obscure Essence from Death), after mech bosses

Also keep in mind Death's and Ivy Plant's drops are rather underwhelming and will have more thematic gears added to them at a later time. Possibly all bosses will get a similar treatment.
Okiku also drops literally nothing and is meant to be nothing but a fun fight until I'm done porting her items and possibly adding more to the table.
There's no items particularly geared to fare past mech bosses, except for the recently added Soma and Saucer Dicer (both ranged weapons) craftable using martian plating.

Last edited:
Is there a recommended way to take on these birds, I really cannot defeat them, like at all.

If you have the WeaponOut mod, and Thorium, then get a shark storm with a ton of splinter shots. Along with a ranged armor (Such as necro, or more specifically, tide hunter armor from Thorium) and constantly dodge while mowing them down with the insane DPS gun that does minimum damage to it. The 1-2 points of damage makes it incapable of going into the immunity phase and slightly healing.

EDIT: I feel as if you shouldn't fight the phoenix trio in your hardcore play-through, mainly considering that they'd kill you with relative ease if you do not know what to do. An alternative for the armor would either be molten or granite armor (Thorium).

Last edited:
Hello W1K, any plans to port Prime Needs from tapi version?
If people are interested, I might. I initially held back because tModLoader did not have easy access to interface drawing methods, which it now does. Once tModLoader is ported to the latest version of the game, I might look into it.

Updated to tModLoader 0.9. The Lite version (for the mod browser) should be also up for download.

Please, report potential issues. The migration process is not as complex, but I have noticed more was changed than just what mentioned on the main thread, hence anything might break unexpectedly.

Last edited:
I very much like your mod, but a big request - reduce chance of appearance of ordinary enemies from mod. The matter is that I play with other mods and often I meet monsters only from your mod, probably because of the fact that percent of their emergence are much higher. I will be very grateful!

I very much like your mod, but a big request - reduce chance of appearance of ordinary enemies from mod. The matter is that I play with other mods and often I meet monsters only from your mod, probably because of the fact that percent of their emergence are much higher. I will be very grateful!
What monsters exactly do you see appear very often? Some are meant to be fairly common, for instance, Sluggers and hell monsters. Sluggers specifically intentionally have a lower spawn weight so to allow other monsters to spawn more often when their spawn chances meet. Hell monsters might need a similar treatment and the only reason I didn't go through with it is because the way spawn weights actually work is confusing me a fair bit, as I didn't want to cause the exact opposite issue.

What monsters exactly do you see appear very often? Some are meant to be fairly common, for instance, Sluggers and hell monsters. Sluggers specifically intentionally have a lower spawn weight so to allow other monsters to spawn more often when their spawn chances meet. Hell monsters might need a similar treatment and the only reason I didn't go through with it is because the way spawn weights actually work is confusing me a fair bit, as I didn't want to cause the exact opposite issue.
Infernal monsters, in the main Magma Golem. He looks too heavy in order that spawn is frequent.
i24038.jpg

(CheatSheet- rate x30)

Infernal monsters, in the main Magma Golem. He looks too heavy in order that spawn is frequent.
i24038.jpg

(CheatSheet- rate x30)
I will run some tests on different weights and spawn rates to try and bring their spawn rate a bit more in line with vanilla mobs.
They are designed to be very easy targets but bulky and slow, which is why so many spawn and how often. In 1.1 it was not a problem because there were no important underworld spawns in hardmode (in fact, they were made because hardmode underworld was a joke) but now it's not the case so I will have to make sure they don't cover existing spawns.

Double post alert

I'm pushing a quick update, mainly aimed towards fixing some port issues and the tweak mentioned above. Lite version has also been updated accordingly.

Version 1.0.0.4 changelog:
- Fixed ranged weapons being unable to use ammo (this also affected Saucer Dicer's alt-fire).
- Fixed Saucer Dicer's alt-fire erroneously "consuming" the Endless Musket Pouch.
- Tweaked Fire Queens and Magma Golems spawn weights to allow vanilla and NPCs from other mods to spawn more often.
- Reduced Magma Golems spawn chances slightly.

Back
Top Bottom