[Video Tutorial] Hoiktronics Mechanisms (Programmable Passcode Door)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
Since my hoiktronics builds are starting to get larger and more complex, I decided to start doing longer tutorial videos with much more detailed explanations of hoiktronics mechanisms. I will now be voicing most of my videos on hoiktronics instead of relying on annotations. The first of these videos details mechanisms I used in my latest build, a passcode-protected door.

Video:

In the video I outline:

1) What hoiktronics is and why its used instead of just relying on wiring
2) Reset mechanisms
3) Seven segment displays
4) Passcodes
5) One method of writing to and reading from memory

This is just scratching the surface - I plan on making tutorials explaining many more mechanisms in future videos.

I also posted a brief guide to the passcode-protected door featured in the first 8 minutes in this video:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...passcode-protected-door-video-tutorial.12232/

Questions:

1) Any suggestions how I can improve the audio? I use:

FRAPS to record video
Microsoft Livecam for audio
Handbrake for compression
VSDC Free Video Editor for editing

2) Any specific requests for future videos? I can cover any hoiktronics and non-hoiktronics builds, although I'd prefer to focus more on hoiktronics. For those that were perhaps interested in getting into hoiktronics but perhaps found it a little intimidating, here's your chance to get involved! Hoiks and hoiktronics have opened up massive design space, so now is the time to get started while there are plenty of contraptions to build and mechanisms to explore :).

One thing that I didn't understand: why is there wiring in the lava traps? Is there a spikey ball trap at the top? Is it actuated by the zombies' death?

One thing that I didn't understand: why is there wiring in the lava traps? Is there a spikey ball trap at the top? Is it actuated by the zombies' death?

There's a pressure plate in the lava that is hooked up to a spiky ball trap immediately above. The reason for this set-up is that lava cannot kill a skeleton in 1 hit, and neither can a spiky ball. Together however they can kill the skeleton immediately. It just makes for a cleaner video when skeletons die instantly instead of lingering around a bit longer while the lava kills them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom