tModLoader W1K's Weapon Scaling

My Expanded Sentries mod has support for this mod. I forgot to note it in the change log. However, I haven't yet touched the actual % scaling of specific weapons, just put them all into different tiers. That will have to come later, the hard tweaking. I find that stuff very difficult. It's highly possible my turrets may scale too high, effectively leading to lower tiered weapons upscaling to far greater damage than higher tier weapons.
I also added support to companion only weapons on TerraGuardians mod. Like the person above, I also didn't changed the percentage of damage, I only set the tiers.
Consider yourselves on the list.

I forgot to mention in the latest patch I've also added two debug items only accessible through cheats. They're used to lower and increase the scaling multiplier of specific weapons to find the right values directly in-game. I do intend the default value to hopefully be "good enough" for most cases but since I found myself having to lower the scaling of some vanilla weapons down the drain I figured I might've as well added an easy way to test numbers on the fly to speed up the process.

Does this have a method yet for adding additional tiers beyond moon lord tier items? Such as Calamity or Ancients Awakened.

Some ideas:
  • The ability to create new custom tiers would be incredible, even if its a tutorial based patching solution like you've already done for adding mod weapons. The possibilities are phenomenal. Imagine if you made the recipe for a Luminite+1, Luminite+2, Luminite+3, but each successive tier required exponentially more materials or rarer and rarer items in its crafting recipe.
  • The ability to create complex crafting chains to combine other weapons into one uber upgrade, such as literally collecting all the major swords in the game to make a sword-only upgrade to greatly enhance your favorite sword. (Could the above mentioned idea allow this anyway? Maybe)
  • At some point it would be even more amazing if you were able to create (probably expensive) items that allowed changing the type of a weapon - so you could have magic shotguns, summon swords, or ranged summons. This might be easy or difficult to do I have no idea, but it would be like adding another layer of exponential customizability to your mod! It would certainly warp game balance in some ways though.
  • Adding or changing extra effects on existing weapons (limited by type obviously) would be a great addition. Such as adding projectile effects to a melee weapon (copper swords that fling copper sword projectiles!), or causing bows/boomerangs/guns to fire less accurately but have additional projectiles in a spread (shotgun bows, etc), or removing projectiles from a weapon and instead giving it greater size/speed, or making a thrown weapon like shuriken become infinite use items but with less attack speed, or make a sword into a boomerang.
  • Its probably already been suggested or thought of, but some kind of in-game system to add a weapon that isn't already supported would be incredible. Even if its an honor bound system that simply trusts the player not to cheat, that would be great. If it let you adjust things live in game, you could then have a way to pull the tested settings (either directly from save files or indirectly by just collecting the settings in a list) and then go and make a patch from that. (edit: I just read your latest comment about the accessories, that's great!)

Reactions: W1K
Does this have a method yet for adding additional tiers beyond moon lord tier items? Such as Calamity or Ancients Awakened.

Some ideas:
  • The ability to create new custom tiers would be incredible, even if its a tutorial based patching solution like you've already done for adding mod weapons. The possibilities are phenomenal. Imagine if you made the recipe for a Luminite+1, Luminite+2, Luminite+3, but each successive tier required exponentially more materials or rarer and rarer items in its crafting recipe.
  • The ability to create complex crafting chains to combine other weapons into one uber upgrade, such as literally collecting all the major swords in the game to make a sword-only upgrade to greatly enhance your favorite sword. (Could the above mentioned idea allow this anyway? Maybe)
  • At some point it would be even more amazing if you were able to create (probably expensive) items that allowed changing the type of a weapon - so you could have magic shotguns, summon swords, or ranged summons. This might be easy or difficult to do I have no idea, but it would be like adding another layer of exponential customizability to your mod! It would certainly warp game balance in some ways though.
  • Adding or changing extra effects on existing weapons (limited by type obviously) would be a great addition. Such as adding projectile effects to a melee weapon (copper swords that fling copper sword projectiles!), or causing bows/boomerangs/guns to fire less accurately but have additional projectiles in a spread (shotgun bows, etc), or removing projectiles from a weapon and instead giving it greater size/speed, or making a thrown weapon like shuriken become infinite use items but with less attack speed, or make a sword into a boomerang.
  • Its probably already been suggested or thought of, but some kind of in-game system to add a weapon that isn't already supported would be incredible. Even if its an honor bound system that simply trusts the player not to cheat, that would be great. If it let you adjust things live in game, you could then have a way to pull the tested settings (either directly from save files or indirectly by just collecting the settings in a list) and then go and make a patch from that. (edit: I just read your latest comment about the accessories, that's great!)
I have considered the idea of adding support to tiers past moon lord. Technically, it is possible, however, obviously enough, I can't possibly predict how much damage scaling the tiers will need to apply as they depend on what mod they are based on. I can tweak the system to include the ability to create custom tiers, a third-party patch will have to put in the values and I might need to explain the math behind calculating said values, also the patch will need to create the tier-increasing items as well. It's a bit of a process and making patches won't be as simple as writing down some weapon internal names, but it is kind of possible.

"Uber upgrades" is an idea, altho I wouldn't say it's a huge priority and will definitelly make more sense once we have a "zenith tier" to compare against. What could be done is use an alternative to zenith's recipe to craft the upgrade, make a different version for every weapon class so each has its own "zenith-like" recipe.

I don't think changing a weapon's class is very difficult, but while the idea is sort of cool, it might be a bit beyond the scope of the mod. We'll see.

Tweaking existing weapons mechanics was something that was suggested to me while the mod was as early as in its planning stage. I do like the idea but of course it needs very specific tweaks made on my part and wouldn't be an automated system by any mean. Of course I can't do much about modded weapons in this case either, so my priority has been focusing on making sure I have a good damage scaling first.

Making a "honor bound" system to add in your own support was suggested a while ago. I do like the idea. My initial worry was that it would discourage the making of proper compatibility patches so I also thought of adding in a function that essentially makes patches for you based on what you tweak. It is a bit of work though so I don't know when I'll get to it.

This mod, for some reason, has a conflict with Qwerty's Bosses and Items, well, specifically the Doppleganger accessory. With this mod enabled, if you mouse over the item in any way, like via in your inventory or recipe checking, you'll trigger the death that's only meant to happen if you try to reforge the item. I have no idea why this might be happening, but perhaps you two can try to narrow this down?

This mod, for some reason, has a conflict with Qwerty's Bosses and Items, well, specifically the Doppleganger accessory. With this mod enabled, if you mouse over the item in any way, like via in your inventory or recipe checking, you'll trigger the death that's only meant to happen if you try to reforge the item. I have no idea why this might be happening, but perhaps you two can try to narrow this down?
It's likely because the reforge function is used to determine which items are weapons, based on what prefixes they can get. That applies to accessories as I simply run a check to see whether the accessory can receive weapon prefixes. That check might be accidentally getting the mod to believe there's an attempt to reforge the accessory. If I' mcorrect it shouldn't be a hard fix. Will push a hotfix asap once I'm sure it's working as intended.

EDIT: already fixed, feel free to grab the latest version

Last edited:
Hello! Just here to inform the mod has been ported to tModLoader 1.4 with support to all the new weapons minus lacking third party mod support. That'll come later! Enjoy your wood tiered Zenith for now.

Oh and we're on the steam workshop too courtesy of tMod 1.4

Attachments

• 1628634844450.png
    1628634844450.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 143
Quick update on the 1.4 alpha version. Summoning weapons were broken because 1.4 changed how damage is calculated for them so a bunch of rewriting was done to get them working again. That's it. Grab it from the workshop. Enjoy.

I saw someone mention this on the steam page, but a recent Tmod update now force-disables the mod and it can't be used. The error is attached below. I also recently used this mod and loved it, and also found that the Finch staff starts at around 9 damage, and by lunar tier does over 1000 per finch, which made the game easy, and was fun to mess with, but was certainly and unfortunately gamebreaking and didn't seem like the intention.
Screenshot 2021-09-27 132712.png

I saw someone mention this on the steam page, but a recent Tmod update now force-disables the mod and it can't be used. The error is attached below. I also recently used this mod and loved it, and also found that the Finch staff starts at around 9 damage, and by lunar tier does over 1000 per finch, which made the game easy, and was fun to mess with, but was certainly and unfortunately gamebreaking and didn't seem like the intention.View attachment 342147
Definitelly not the intention, summons in general and especially 1.4 weapons are mostly untested and potentially derpy. The mod has been already fixed and pushed to the workshop for reference. If I had seen this earlier I would've looked into balancing the finch staff before pushing the fix 😅

Glad you loved the mod! And thanks for letting me know about the mod being borked and the death birds.

Hi, I thought I followed the instructions to the letter to patch other weapons into the mod, but I'm getting error CS1061. Can I post source code here, or is there another topic page for that?

Hi, I thought I followed the instructions to the letter to patch other weapons into the mod, but I'm getting error CS1061. Can I post source code here, or is there another topic page for that?
Feel free to post them here, or on the discord if you prefer.

Heyo just posting to let people know the 1.4 version of the mod has been updated to fix issues with boss bags (again) caused by some tModLoader update. I also added support to Abigail's Flower.

Can Esper Class be added to the list? Although like with Expanded Sentries, this is only a per tier defining of weapons, not a case by case numbers tweaking.

AlchemistNPC's Perfection Tokens get consumed with this mod active if you mouse over items.

Can Esper Class be added to the list? Although like with Expanded Sentries, this is only a per tier defining of weapons, not a case by case numbers tweaking.

AlchemistNPC's Perfection Tokens get consumed with this mod active if you mouse over items.
Yep, I've added it. The tokens issue is well known and I thought I fixed it already but I guess I am silly. I actually already have a fix ready but my ISP is currently having issues with the mod browser for some goofy reason and I fear I wont be able to push an update for a bit.

Alright sorry for the quick double post but I should've solved it. I pushed an hotfix for the tmod 1.3 version to fix the issue with AlchemistNPC.

If I understand correctly, cross-mod compatibility is not implemented at all in 1.4 alpha version, right? Was trying to learn how to do the thing for my first foray into modding Terraria and wanted to implement your mod's scaling right from the get go. Ran into problems trying to follow the instructions (from a year ago) heh.

If I understand correctly, mod compatibility is not implemented at all in 1.4 alpha version, right? Was trying to learn how to do the thing for my first foray into modding Terraria and wanted to implement your mod's scaling right from the get go. Ran into problems trying to follow the instructions (from a year ago) heh.
Yep! Since things have changed quite a bit from 1.3 plus the possibility of things changing quite a bit even more I kept the support to vanilla only. However since 1.4 alpha has a stable branch and devs have suggested it's a good time to begin porting, I might consider reintroducing mod compatibility once I have some time to dig deeper into it.

Heya, while I was playing on 1.3 this was probably my favourite mod on Tmodloader, but since switching to 1.4 I've had a pretty big issue. When combining this mod with other content additions, my item tooltips would completely disappear. Is this just a compatibility issue, or maybe a known issue in the mod? Either way, tysm for the mod! I always choose to take my trusty musket/undertaker to the moon lord for some reason

Heya, while I was playing on 1.3 this was probably my favourite mod on Tmodloader, but since switching to 1.4 I've had a pretty big issue. When combining this mod with other content additions, my item tooltips would completely disappear. Is this just a compatibility issue, or maybe a known issue in the mod? Either way, tysm for the mod! I always choose to take my trusty musket/undertaker to the moon lord for some reason
It was some goofy incompatibility issues caused by 1.4 updating and arbitrarily deciding OverrideColor must be capitalized now. I just pushed a patch to bring the mod up to date.

Also glad to hear you've enjoyed the mod!

Back
Top Bottom