Wacky NPCs Mod

I just found your comment in my post about generic NPCs as critters. I would love to play your mod someday, still holding out for tmodloader 1.4.

Don't know if it's been said before, but rather than crafting the fake NPCs, perhaps there can be a "Mayor" NPC that you can recruit and he sells the fake NPCs depending on which biome he's currently in? I think that may be a little better to use than crafting because how clunky the crafting UI already is. Just a thought.

I recall Chad's Furniture Mod has bird houses that spawn birds, I wonder if that can be replicated for the fake NPCs as well.

Last edited:
I just found your comment in my post about generic NPCs as critters. I would love to play your mod someday, still holding out for tmodloader 1.4.

Don't know if it's been said before, but rather than crafting the fake NPCs, perhaps there can be a "Mayor" NPC that you can recruit and he sells the fake NPCs depending on which biome he's currently in?

I recall Chad's Furniture Mod has bird houses that spawn birds, I wonder if that can be replicated for the fake NPCs as well.
That has been a sugestion before but the problem is that there's just to many, even if we tried to seperate by biome there's still too much stuff in certain categories (For example the Dynasty set has 50 fake NPC's) and spliting them up even more doesn't sound good. This could work if the mod required you to have a diffrent mod that increses the space in shops but that's up to the Sora if he wants it to be like that.
Chad's mod was actualy a part of the insiration for this idea if I remmember right.

That has been a sugestion before but the problem is that there's just to many, even if we tried to seperate by biome there's still too much stuff in certain categories (For example the Dynasty set has 50 fake NPC's) and spliting them up even more doesn't sound good. This could work if the mod required you to have a diffrent mod that increses the space in shops but that's up to the Sora if he wants it to be like that.
Chad's mod was actualy a part of the insiration for this idea if I remmember right.
That's unfortunate, I suppose we have to pick our poison and having them crafted sounds like the better way.

@Julliant @Quba
Yes, normally town NPCs have only 40 slots in their shop. although this can be expanded somehow, but it still sounds easier to make them craftable.
although there are a few special ones like snowmen that require no hire-a-guard, one of the reasons most of them require that, so that you could see all the "furniture" NPCs at the guide, if you show him a hire-a-guard, as well as that none of them will clog the crafting menu when you don't have hire-a-guard in inventory.

but that's the "furniture" NPCs, the "furniture-bound" NPCs in a much more complicated idea, and, we should get back on that too, to actually see how it works with multiple different NPCs and such.
And yes, the initial idea of those comes from the birdhouses and such in Chad'sfurni.

Perhaps the simple way to do it is for the Mayor to sell multiple kinds of "token" items that are themselves a singular alternate method of crafting a particular set of guards.

For example, the Mayor would sell Town Conscript Tokens, Desert Conscript Tokens, Crimson Conscript Tokens, etc.

You can craft an iron armor-wearing guard with 5 Iron Bars and 6 Silk, -or- with a single Town Conscript Token.
You can craft a Crimson Armor-wearing guard with 6 Crimson Bars and 4 Silk, -or- a single Crimson Conscript Token.

... all at one of those new guard craft stations.

So the Mayor would definitely be able to hold all of the items to make guards. It'd just involve one tiny additional step, is all.

Perhaps the simple way to do it is for the Mayor to sell multiple kinds of "token" items that are themselves a singular alternate method of crafting a particular set of guards.

For example, the Mayor would sell Town Conscript Tokens, Desert Conscript Tokens, Crimson Conscript Tokens, etc.

You can craft an iron armor-wearing guard with 5 Iron Bars and 6 Silk, -or- with a single Town Conscript Token.
You can craft a Crimson Armor-wearing guard with 6 Crimson Bars and 4 Silk, -or- a single Crimson Conscript Token.

... all at one of those new guard craft stations.

So the Mayor would definitely be able to hold all of the items to make guards. It'd just involve one tiny additional step, is all.
I like this idea, a mayor sounds like a fun NPC and simplyfing the process of making the fake NPC's isn't bad. There is one problem I do see however and it's their usefulnes for non builders, personaly I think that it's fine but most of the NPC's in the mod are made to be useful to as many people as possible

@ShadowTiger @Quba
The town mayor idea is interesting, and I was wondering about a mayor, but more as an alt for the guard captain's desk, so, it's not an NPC, but a furniture - a crafting station.

of course, furnitures can't talk or such, so that makes them a bit less lively, compared to actual town NPCs, but I think crafting things is a bit easier regarding when there are just too much items to fit into a town NPCs shop.

there could be special items unique to each set of furniture NPCs, but not instead, but rather, along the other items, if that helps making it easier to navigate among the large amount of these furniture NPCs. but having one or two items that each of these use (like hire-a-guard) allows for accessing all recipes via showing it to the guide, which I think is helpful.

of course, if said town mayor would be a furniture bound NPC, that would be a bit different too. but even then, I see no real reason to add that NPC as an actual town NPC, and not a "town mayor's desk" crafting station instead.

To be honest, my one conceptual contribution here was really only to offer a way to condense the amount of items that would need to be purchased versus the amount of (guard-related) furniture they'd be able to craft, rather than having an NPC sell them directly and fill that shop inventory, just as the late-game Tavernkeep's inventory is always full. Or Santa. "Tokens" make everything better. Thanks for the mentions though. I know an NPC having a full shop inventory is an awkward thing to have.

Still an excellent mod. 👍

@ShadowTiger
condensing the amount of items could be useful, but I'm not actually sure what would be more helpful overall.
when we tried to add the very first guards (or maybe it was the scarecrows as a test first), I was wondering about two options.

1.) there's 1 scarecrow item, that places a different looking one, much like vanilla books, etc. this would greatly condense the amount of items, but might takes additional time, to place the variant you want there.
2.) each variant is a separate item. this means a really large amount of items, but you don't need to move them around before placing, to get the variant you want.

we went with the 2nd version, part also, because I'm not sure how to even code the other, especially considering the guards all can be placed facing either directions, based on where the player is facing, so, each guard "item" has two possible sprites attached to it already (one facing left, the other facing right)

I know there are lots, and there will be even more when we add new ones, but I'm really not quite sure how it would be the most convinient for the player to deal with them.
I'm also kinda making an assumption, that (at least at the moment, since they provide no buffs yet) they're mostly only useful for builders, and most builders probably will just "cheat" them in via cheat sheets, so the whole crafting menu is just for getting them via normal means, but I think, usually, they would be acquired via cheating, since that's easier when building.

by the way, NPCs with full shops are interesting too. it provides that unique aspect, that said NPC doesn't buys anything from you, only sells things. which I thought would fit the scam artist nicely, but at the start, her shop isn't full, so she will buy stuff anyway.
I'm actually curious if it can be coded that her prices are static and ignore happiness, so her stuff keep the silly 99 price trick theming. the prices she buys stuff from you probably could be affected by happiness though.

Personaly the way I see this is that the "tokens" help with organising stuff, if you check recepies for the Hire a Guard then you get shown every single Fake NPC and the "Tokens" make it easier to find what you're looking for. But the problem is that you have to care about the recepies becouse if you just don't care and cheat them in they're useles so it's only a small part of builders who would be interested. I guess this could be improved by making them more interesting to non-builders with stuff like buffs but that's not that much since people will just make 1 random NPC that gives a specific buff

Personaly the way I see this is that the "tokens" help with organising stuff, if you check recepies for the Hire a Guard then you get shown every single Fake NPC and the "Tokens" make it easier to find what you're looking for. But the problem is that you have to care about the recepies becouse if you just don't care and cheat them in they're useles so it's only a small part of builders who would be interested. I guess this could be improved by making them more interesting to non-builders with stuff like buffs but that's not that much since people will just make 1 random NPC that gives a specific buff
well, yeah.
if we could make them give that "guarded" buff (+5 def, does not stacks with multiple guards, but stacks with 1 bast statue) it would make them overall useful for everyone, and people probably would use them lots. but if you just want the buff, not the design, then it doesn't matters which one it is, probably.

I like this idea, a mayor sounds like a fun NPC and simplyfing the process of making the fake NPC's isn't bad. There is one problem I do see however and it's their usefulnes for non builders, personaly I think that it's fine but most of the NPC's in the mod are made to be useful to as many people as possible
I don't think usefulness for non-builders would ever be problem. Dyes aren't essential for completing the game either, nor is paint. Ultimately it's a sandbox game so it's up to the player.

On another note, I think "vendor" NPCs would be nice to have well. Just NPC sprites cut in half and have a countertop from the waist down. I believe this was proposed before and I think it works since they would be acceptable being static. They could have speech bubble animation instead if there is resource for that.

Last edited:
I don't think usefulness for non-builders would ever be problem. Dyes aren't essential for completing the game either, nor is paint. Ultimately it's a sandbox game so it's up to the player.

On another note, I think "vendor" NPCs would be nice to have well. Just NPC sprites cut in half and have a countertop from the waist down. I believe this was proposed before and I think it works since they would be acceptable being static. They could have speech bubble animation instead if there is resource for that.
as for vendor "furniture" NPCs, yes, that's an interesting idea, but I wonder what looks would be better for them, having half their body "behind" a counter, or just have the NPC sit on a chair in the side of the counter - like how actual town NPCs do.

as for vendor "furniture" NPCs, yes, that's an interesting idea, but I wonder what looks would be better for them, having half their body "behind" a counter, or just have the NPC sit on a chair in the side of the counter - like how actual town NPCs do.
Why not both ? It shouldn't be hard to make since it's just moving the vendor sprite behind it and it shouldn't be hard to add as well

Why not both ? It shouldn't be hard to make since it's just moving the vendor sprite behind it and it shouldn't be hard to add as well
well, guess we can give both a try, and decide which one looks better (or both) XD

I've re-login for the first time in a long time to tell ya how much I love your mod. I've been wanting this kinda thing for like, literal years. I've been populating my towns with mannequins and just spamming mods that give NPCs.

Random thoughts:
- I don't know nuthin' about modding, but presumably these NPCs are essentially furniture right? What if, they're "signs"? Would that allow them to have "dialogue"?
- There are some furniture that have practical uses, such as the Dresser or even Crafting Stations. So what if these can be reskinned? Like, an Anvil that looks like a blacksmith?
- If you can get furniture that can actually defend against enemies, that would be incredible. Perhaps, Archers that shoot arrows if an enemy steps on a pressure plate? Obviously, wiring would be required. Or Spearmen that thrust their spears. No fancy animation needed outside of the spear magically poking out. I dunno, just random ideas. I'm sure others have suggested these before. But that's just how excited you got me on this mod of yours.
- Assorted Standard Bearer guards who give relevant banner buffs.

Kudos and hope you'll continue on this.

I've re-login for the first time in a long time to tell ya how much I love your mod. I've been wanting this kinda thing for like, literal years. I've been populating my towns with mannequins and just spamming mods that give NPCs.

Random thoughts:
- I don't know nuthin' about modding, but presumably these NPCs are essentially furniture right? What if, they're "signs"? Would that allow them to have "dialogue"?
- There are some furniture that have practical uses, such as the Dresser or even Crafting Stations. So what if these can be reskinned? Like, an Anvil that looks like a blacksmith?
- If you can get furniture that can actually defend against enemies, that would be incredible. Perhaps, Archers that shoot arrows if an enemy steps on a pressure plate? Obviously, wiring would be required. Or Spearmen that thrust their spears. No fancy animation needed outside of the spear magically poking out. I dunno, just random ideas. I'm sure others have suggested these before. But that's just how excited you got me on this mod of yours.
- Assorted Standard Bearer guards who give relevant banner buffs.

Kudos and hope you'll continue on this.
Thank you!
Hearing feedback matters a real lot!

As for continuing, I would love to, but need some who can actually code too XD and we should both upgrade it to met 1.4 standards, as well as add new things.
If we're at it, if anyone wanna help, please post in the thread and let's discuss things! XD

As for the ideas, they're good ideas, although we discussed most of them in the thread before with others I think. I have no idea how to code such, but most of those should be possible, if some talented coders would join. more spriters also would be welcome XD

I really like the idea with "mechanic fake NPC's", it doesn't sound like it would be that hard. It's basicly just a higher placed trap with maybe a quick animation to put them in a better position (Not big, just a second frame to make the place where the attack would work). We could give the NPC's with spears the spear trap, those with ranged weapons dart trap, maybe even the fire trap to magic users

I really like the idea with "mechanic fake NPC's", it doesn't sound like it would be that hard. It's basicly just a higher placed trap with maybe a quick animation to put them in a better position (Not big, just a second frame to make the place where the attack would work). We could give the NPC's with spears the spear trap, those with ranged weapons dart trap, maybe even the fire trap to magic users
yes, I think so too. they would just work the same way as traps, like dart, spear, etc.
unfortunatelly, I have no idea how to get anything like that to work... XD

Back
Top Bottom