Wacky NPCs Mod

Monty python references.
While it's funny, I don't really consider it enough to justify adding an NPC like that, and have him take up a housing, and housing slot.
Generally, any NPC that has no real use, can be problematic in that way. - not counting class-specific NPCs, like, the arms dealer is generally only useful for ranger, however he is essential for ranger.

But, like, some grumble about "so I built a house for X NPC, and it was the painter who moved in instead. how annoying" I don't consider the painter useless, but some might do.
An NPC who only sells joke items or such would be generally useless for everyone...

By the way, there are vanilla NPCs too, who has no much use (or I'm not quite sure of their use) like the princess. she sells some fancy stuff, but they could easily been made craftable, or sold by other NPCs, which leaves poor girl mostly only useful for player characters sending her in a lava bath for the resonance scepter.
And she generally moves in super late-game, which makes her feel even more useless, which is all very sad, because the concept is very interesting otherwise, that she's not bothered by crowding like other NPCs, but actually enjoys having more neighbors. Something that in the end might makes her justifiable, that her code might could be reused in modded NPCs too.

That's just some thinking loud, but I generally noted on this before too.

TL.DR.: see first sentence.

I would say that The Princess isn't useless, instead of being a useful shop she has a useful function with happines and they just gave her some stuff to sell becouse why not

The Steam workshop doesn't have mods, all it has are texture packs. If you want to play with this mod then you need to play Tmodloader (can be found on steam) and then you can find the mod in the mod search inside of it.

I would say that The Princess isn't useless, instead of being a useful shop she has a useful function with happines and they just gave her some stuff to sell becouse why not
She's not exactly useless, but not very useful either.
If her shop is so lacking, she could have other functions too, like quests. though that wouldn't be all that useful either, so late in the game.
Then again, it might be my dislike for late-game, that I don't see much use of her either, since I sometimes just stop a playthrough around the time she moves in to begin with.

Though the current playthrough, I hopped to one of my previous playthrough worlds, and bought a cape from her. the vanity she sells are actually pretty awesome. but it's just so late-game normally, you probably already settled on a character looks, by the time you could get those. that's why I bought that with a pre-hardmode character. and managed to kill a werewolf on the way too, which dropped an adhesive bandage, so took that with myself too, back to the prehardmode world. surprisingly great, because you can get the bezoar pre-hardmode normally too, so, you can have immunity to poison and bleeding - commonly inflicted in the dungeon if you jump around the spikes XD lol)
But that's not really about the princess anyway. XD

Still, vanilla can be a bit boring now, mods would be sooooo nice to have again, but I just don't wanna leave out all these awesome 1.4 stuff either!

Some corruption based weapons or material or maybe a special armor set
If it's corruption-themed, it probably would fit the corruption fangirl better.
And dunno about vanilla armor, and the mod currently adds no armors or such. If it would add armors, those likely would be vanity, and probably simply craftable with some normal materials, instead of having an NPC sell them.

If it's corruption-themed, it probably would fit the corruption fangirl better.
And dunno about vanilla armor, and the mod currently adds no armors or such. If it would add armors, those likely would be vanity, and probably simply craftable with some normal materials, instead of having an NPC sell them.
I dunno maybe it could act as an evil wizard or something

I genuinely don’t know, more bone weapons and I don’t have an idea about the crafting station
There aren't really any weapons in the mod at the moment anyway, and adding in weapons just so that we can justify adding in an NPC who has no other thing justifying being him there just sounds like a bad deal.

There aren't really any weapons in the mod at the moment anyway, and adding in weapons just so that we can justify adding in an NPC who has no other thing justifying being him there just sounds like a bad deal.
Oki understand

Is it true there's a working alpha version now, which would allow modders to work on trying to catch up to 1.4 ? I mean, there definitely is an alpha, but I know so little about coding, I have no idea how to put it to use.

But if things could be set in motion again, that's inspiring, and we could try to add in some of the new ideas and in general, catch up to the 1.4 stuff, if possible, such as happiness system - related stats for these NPCs.

------

By the way, I got another interesting idea (but as usual, I have no idea how to code such XD)
giving missions to the waiter might be unimportant, since we only have a few ideas about them. he could have something like trading though, like giving vouchers for fish, like 1 voucher for 25 bass or something, dunno.

But the new idea is, how about something like "gossip"?
Since, if you think about taverns and such in fantasy stories too, they're commonly places to get information too, right? whether it's a restaurant, café, tavern, or anything, probably several people come by day by day, and thus, the waiter could overhear useful informations he could share with you if you ask him.

that is, I imagine something like
player clicks "gossip" at the waiter's quite box, and he says stuff like
"Ah, yup, I overheard some people talking about a crystal heart somewhere around here"
And marks a random crystal heart on the map some way, which mark stays there for a short time, like 1 in-game day or something. dunno.
He could mark stuff like treasure chests, crystal hearts, life fruits, and dunno what else would be useful. plantera's bulbs, maybe unusually large veins of ore, strange plants, dunno. probably mostly the same things that random fairies can led the player to.
It probably could be used only once a day (he could say something like dunno "gossip? didn't hear any interesting stuff since you last asked." or such.

dunno if it should have a chance to be false or not? like, since it is gossip, who knows if it's true, there could be like 10% chance that the info is wrong, and there's no treasure at the spot he marked on the map. or would it be better if his intel are always accurate?

overall, it wouldn't serve a crucial purpose, but it might be useful (and interesting), when you're looking for these. of course, the markings could be anywhere on the map, so it might be very far - but that might could actually inspire players to conduct an expedition in that remote area too.

there's also the problem that if we're talking about chests, the code probably can't tell which chest is generated by the game, and chich are placed by player or already looted, so, much like fairies, it probably could end up marking chests the player already knows about, which isn't very helpful, but dunno what to do about that. but that might be just how luck works, just like how fairies might show something valuable, or just lead back to a chest you already looted. XD

Is it true there's a working alpha version now, which would allow modders to work on trying to catch up to 1.4 ? I mean, there definitely is an alpha, but I know so little about coding, I have no idea how to put it to use.
I don't know anything other then that the alpha exists and that some people have made mods for it already but I have no idea how to make stuff for it (to be fair I don't know how to make stuff for the normal version either)
But if things could be set in motion again, that's inspiring, and we could try to add in some of the new ideas and in general, catch up to the 1.4 stuff, if possible, such as happiness system - related stats for these NPCs.
Yeah that would be nice, even if it was just some small stuff it would be good to just be done with them finally.
By the way, I got another interesting idea (but as usual, I have no idea how to code such XD)
giving missions to the waiter might be unimportant, since we only have a few ideas about them. he could have something like trading though, like giving vouchers for fish, like 1 voucher for 25 bass or something, dunno.
Yeah I like these ideas, trading sounds nice since I'm sure many people get a ton of normal fish from doing the quests and don't have much to do with them other then potions and an ok food (Which most of them probably don't even do). Other then fish maybe this could be expended to some more items ? For example there could be trades for herbs becouse they lack spices or maybe even stuff like plates becouse a customer got drunk and broke too many.
But the new idea is, how about something like "gossip"?
Since, if you think about taverns and such in fantasy stories too, they're commonly places to get information too, right? whether it's a restaurant, café, tavern, or anything, probably several people come by day by day, and thus, the waiter could overhear useful informations he could share with you if you ask him.

that is, I imagine something like
player clicks "gossip" at the waiter's quite box, and he says stuff like
"Ah, yup, I overheard some people talking about a crystal heart somewhere around here"
And marks a random crystal heart on the map some way, which mark stays there for a short time, like 1 in-game day or something. dunno.
He could mark stuff like treasure chests, crystal hearts, life fruits, and dunno what else would be useful. plantera's bulbs, maybe unusually large veins of ore, strange plants, dunno. probably mostly the same things that random fairies can led the player to.
It probably could be used only once a day (he could say something like dunno "gossip? didn't hear any interesting stuff since you last asked." or such.

dunno if it should have a chance to be false or not? like, since it is gossip, who knows if it's true, there could be like 10% chance that the info is wrong, and there's no treasure at the spot he marked on the map. or would it be better if his intel are always accurate?

overall, it wouldn't serve a crucial purpose, but it might be useful (and interesting), when you're looking for these. of course, the markings could be anywhere on the map, so it might be very far - but that might could actually inspire players to conduct an expedition in that remote area too.

there's also the problem that if we're talking about chests, the code probably can't tell which chest is generated by the game, and chich are placed by player or already looted, so, much like fairies, it probably could end up marking chests the player already knows about, which isn't very helpful, but dunno what to do about that. but that might be just how luck works, just like how fairies might show something valuable, or just lead back to a chest you already looted. XD
Gossip also sounds like a great idea but I don't like the chance for it to be nothing. If I decide to go on a expedition that takes most of the day and end up with nothing I'm just gonna be disopointed and might think that the whole thing just doesn't work. I think that if possible, when you get to the spot of a false rummor it could end up being a trap and you would be attacked by some enemies (for example a group of goblins but it could be some other stuff like maybe some enemies from specific events or even some new exclusive enemies) and after you defeat them they could drop a rare item (For example if we go with my idea goblins could give a lot of gold and event enemies could drop the summon for the event or maybe even one item from it).

Regarding the chest detection, yeah it would be really annoying. I have one idea but I don't know how possible it would be, the chests detected by gossip would have to be lower then a certain point (and maybe also above a certain point if you want to include Floating Islands). Most players have all of their chests together in their main base which usually is also at the world spawn and only make new chests underground in places like Underground Towns or Underground Fishing spots so by excluding the surface chests the odds of getting owned chests is low and maybe could be put even lower if it prioritised unique chests like Ice Chests over normal chests since those are usually what people use (Gold Chests are also often used but not as much from what I know)

Last edited:
Yeah, we should somehow continue working on this mod XD

As for trading, I thought that more regarding the fact that you often end up with lots of bass and such, dunno as much about herbs - though if you don't brew potions, I guess you will end up having tons of those lying around too, and totally useless, so, guess that could work too, hmm

and, the false gossip turning out to be a trap sounds interesting too, but not sure how that could work. maybe it's easier if it just always leds to something valuable.

as for excluding the spawn area, that might could work, but I'm not sure about excluding the surface in general, because there are sometimes wooden chests hidden in random caverns with no access to the surface, but are very close. in some map, I remember looking for something (radar, I think) and couldn't find one anywhere, then checked for it with T-edit, and one was right under the surface in an area I walked through countless times. so, for such reason, it might be fine if the surface isn't completely excluded, but the spawn area might could be.

it still couldn't do anything with chests in other towns though, particularly those in the cavern layer.

Back
Top Bottom