Other Ways Terraria's Lunar Event Series could be improved

Simple🌳

Official Terrarian
The Lunar Event Series is a really unique addition to the game and provides a good conclusion to your story, however, there are a few elements that could be touched and improved on to make it more engaging and rewarding. Of course, I am not saying that the Lunar Event is terrible, Terraria as a whole is a masterpiece, but like many other games, there are always going to be room for improvement. Nothing is ever perfect, and how someone sees "perfect" changes between every individual. For me, this is my thoughts on the lunar event and how it could be improved. Of course, I don't mind if you disagree, but enough of this boring talk, let's move on to the fun part!

To get the ball rolling, the Lunar Pillars will be touched upon first, since they play a major role in the "series." Each enemy in the lunar event has a very unique method of attacking you, requiring you to attack them in a unique way, this is what gives each enemy charm; however, the rapid spawnrate of these enemies make their attacks cluster up together and overlap each other. This forces a player into many situations where the player is overwhelmed by enemies which playstyle oppose each other. For example the Corite and Crawltipede have opposing playstyles. The Corite lunges at the player at a fast speed horizontally, which makes it so the player must move up vertically to weave around the Corite, but the Crawltipede punishes you for disobeying the laws of gravity. Both enemies hit hard and will consistently chase you until you either kill them or follow their rules. One way to resolve this issue is to spawns groups of enemies periodically, so you have a certain set of enemies to focus on instead of being overwhelmed by 5 Brain Sucklers and 3 Nebula Floaters all attacking you at once. That's not all, there are some enemies that are incredibly OP and are hard to avoid, not only making the event hard and tedious, but also hindering focus on other enemies that could have potential. A perfect example of this is the Brain Suckler and the Nebula Floater from earlier. If you were to describe the nebula pillar in a nutshell, it'd literally be these two sets of enemies. These two smart brains are very big bullies as they totally steal the spotlight from their fellow teammates, the predictor and the evolution beast. It makes the lunar event very boring, since you'll only have to focus solely on brains rather than other creatures that have a way cooler design and have other ways to attack you. Toning down some attack behaviors of OP enemies can help make way for the underrated ones.

For a final boss, the Moon Lord fight is hard, yet also extremely grindy, frustrating, tedious, and boring. He may seem fun at first, but eventually his attacks get repetitive. All I think he needs is a bit more attacks to keep the player entertained, and maybe some brand new ones as the fight goes on. You'd expect a reincarnation of an eldritch god to be intelligent and skillful, right? Another problem with this battle is that it lets down expectations, a final boss should be a boss that feels fun a challenging, not grindy.

I'd say much more but I want to make room for other people to make a speech, and I want to hear out ideas from other people as well. I also do not want to be too judgmental on the lunar event. It was something the devs worked hard on, and I definitely believe that it would be a huge hassle to meet all these expectations. This is just what I picture the lunar event to be, and I apologize if I sound a bit rude on some parts. Very, very, huge respects to the dev team for their dedication to the game, and have a great day Terrarians!

Back
Top Bottom