What I Dislike About 1.3 (and a couple things I like).

houndstooth

Terrarian
Having just completed my expert mode playthrough, there are a lot of things I enjoy about this free update, but a couple specific things I really, really dislike. We'll start with the good:

1. Lots of new weapons, accessories, enemies, bosses, blocks, house/furniture options, etc. Variety is the spice of life, and the more there is to explore, encounter, and tinker with, the better.

2. Lunatic Cultist Boss - a fantastic new addition to the boss roster. The fight felt epic, like two superpowers clashing mono-to-mono. It was everything I look for in a boss fight; careful dodging and use of wings, knowing when to land and take off again, large variety of boss attacks. Definitely felt like I was fighting an ancient uber-mage.

Now for the things I disliked about the update:

1. Cosmic Car Key - after you get this item, the game may as well be re-named to "Saucer Shootout," because there is really no reason to ever leave your UFO after that. The fact that it doesn't even require an accessory slot and allows you to replace wings and boots - two previously essential items - with more defense/offense/utility, means that pretty much everything I enjoyed about the game gets thrown out the window. I always enjoyed fighting enemies when I had certain limitations and had to plan my moves carefully. Using your flight time wisely, positioning yourself on the ground, etc. With the UFO, you just keep pressing the direction you want to go while raining death from above with unlimited flight and two more accessory slots. The nuanced combat I loved about Terraria gets tossed out the window, and to go back to boots/wings means that you are intentionally handicapping yourself.

2. Moon Lord Boss and Extreme Class Imbalance - Even in expert mode, pretty much every boss rewarded good movement and solid play with every class being usable. A couple bosses, namely Skeletron and Plantera, were incredibly difficult, but the challenge could be overcome. However, after coming face to face with Expert Mode Moon Lord, I realize that Melee/Defense blows literally everything else out of the water.

- Endgame melee builds have excellent range and can apply similar DPS to other classes while being able to take way, way more hits.

- Celestial Shell and Celestial Stone, arguably the best accessories in the game (4 defense, 10% damage, 10% melee speed, 2 HP/sec regen, etc.) give melee weapons an extra boost that is not received by ranged or magic users.

- The game substantially rewards stacking defense, which encourages bad play. There is no motivation to use damage-increasing accessories over defensive ones when a single defensive point is worth so much more than any corresponding offensive boost. A tanky build will always be better than a damage build, ESPECIALLY against the Moon Lord, whose vulnerable areas are closed half the time while you inevitably take huge damage.

It is so much easier to win by stacking defense and standing in one spot than to try and have have a classic battle where you are expected to dodge a constant bullet hell/death laser while you can't even deal damage because its eye is closed. Using anything other than Beetle Shell + Warding defensive trinkets means you're essentially a lamb to the slaughter. The only ways I found to win (in addition to having an extreme defensive melee build) were to abuse the UFO and fly away while shooting him or to build a bunker with the nurse inside and literally stand in one spot while hitting him through the roof. I don't feel any sense of accomplishment from beating the final boss, which is monumentally inferior to its herald, the Lunatic Cultist, in terms of its fight mechanics and, well, fun.

In the end, I feel the game needs to be tweaked so that magic and ranged users can actually compete with melee builds instead of just being squishy targets. I was excited to try out a ranged build with Celebration, and when that proved inferior, SDMG, but the fact that I could destroy enemies just the same as melee while being able to move faster, having a free dash built into the armor, and also being able to take way more damage sealed the deal.

The UFO doesn't fly faster than some of the end-game wings, in addition mobility is limited in the UFO, turning around or changing direct slows you down. UFO also increases your hitbox size which limits where you can go or exposes you to more damage.

It might be slightly slower than the solar wings, but the flight is unlimited and frees up 1-2 accessory slots, depending on if you use boots with the wings to keep your speed when you have to land. Changing direction doesn't slow you down any more than with wings, unless you dash, but you can easily dismount, dash, and remount in the saucer as well, so it's just as mobile.

Summoner + Nurse Box is the best way to kill the Moonlord.

Right, it's the fact that bunkering down, stacking defense, and staying in one place while either hitting it through the wall or letting your summons do the work is rewarded over smart dodging and good flow of the battle is what makes it so unsatisfying.

I'd also like to clarify, other strategies do have value in other parts of the game besides defensive stacks (even though that always seems the best if you just need to beat something.) For example, I was able to use a ranged build with "Celebration" and clear the 15 waves of the Frost Moon for the first time right before dawn, while I only made it to wave 13 with the melee build. It was way easier to survive with the latter, mind you, and if I had all the time in the world to clear it, I would always choose the latter as well.

. Cosmic Car Key - after you get this item, the game may as well be re-named to "Saucer Shootout," because there is really no reason to ever leave your UFO after that. The fact that it doesn't even require an accessory slot and allows you to replace wings and boots - two previously essential items - with more defense/offense/utility, means that pretty much everything I enjoyed about the game gets thrown out the window. I always enjoyed fighting enemies when I had certain limitations and had to plan my moves carefully. Using your flight time wisely, positioning yourself on the ground, etc. With the UFO, you just keep pressing the direction you want to go while raining death from above with unlimited flight and two more accessory slots. The nuanced combat I loved about Terraria gets tossed out the window, and to go back to boots/wings means that you are intentionally handicapping yourself
This is what everybody though when using were added. Everyone was screaming about how the boots are useless. But honestly, I prefer wings for certain bosses (fishron) because they are a lot faster and have more mobility.

I will admit, you didn't seem to mention summon damage. Might want to add that to the Original Post.

I will admit, the only way I won against the Moon Lord in expert mode was with melee and tank accessories. However, it is possible to do it with magic, ranged, even summoner, but with much greater difficulty than if you went melee. Honestly, I feel like the Moon Lord still needs another look at. I felt accomplished when I beat him into the ground, but at the same time, I had to change my entire build just to do it, which annoyed me. I went from a full damage to a full defense, which I hate doing in the first place, not to mention the nearly un-dodge-able attacks, and his laser.

The laser is fine in my opinion, as long as the player figures out that it doesn't shoot through blocks. Other than that, the Moon Lord's constant barrages of attacks make the boss not only extremely difficult, but impossible to dodge anything. Sure, I'll get a lot of "Git Gud" comments here, but I did it already. I beat EM ML. With a build I didn't want to play.

The Cosmic Car Key, if used, should at least be limited to the pillars. The mount itself has no problems with me, except the infinite flight. It does feel overpowered, but is extremely useful for building. However, it is very slow, and with a proper arena, the infinite flying Fishron mount can outpace it by miles. I always use wings anyway, so maybe it's not my place to comment. (Vortex Booster and Solar Wings <3)

In fact, I feel like some of the Expert mode bosses from the WOF on need a rework. All the mechs have is increased HP, Damage, and Defense, and that is not really that good. I was hoping for new boss AI that enabled me to adapt to new situations, and I was very satisfied with the EoC and Skeletron during PHM. But the Golem, as well as the mechs I feel, need some love. Not to mention the Moon Lord. Give them some new AI, some cool EM drops (that minecart is useless for anyone who doesn't use them) and just make them cool. Make it so I have to learn again.

I will admit, you didn't seem to mention summon damage. Might want to add that to the Original Post.

I will admit, the only way I won against the Moon Lord in expert mode was with melee and tank accessories. However, it is possible to do it with magic, ranged, even summoner, but with much greater difficulty than if you went melee. Honestly, I feel like the Moon Lord still needs another look at. I felt accomplished when I beat him into the ground, but at the same time, I had to change my entire build just to do it, which annoyed me. I went from a full damage to a full defense, which I hate doing in the first place, not to mention the nearly un-dodge-able attacks, and his laser.

The laser is fine in my opinion, as long as the player figures out that it doesn't shoot through blocks. Other than that, the Moon Lord's constant barrages of attacks make the boss not only extremely difficult, but impossible to dodge anything. Sure, I'll get a lot of "Git Gud" comments here, but I did it already. I beat EM ML. With a build I didn't want to play.

The Cosmic Car Key, if used, should at least be limited to the pillars. The mount itself has no problems with me, except the infinite flight. It does feel overpowered, but is extremely useful for building. However, it is very slow, and with a proper arena, the infinite flying Fishron mount can outpace it by miles. I always use wings anyway, so maybe it's not my place to comment. (Vortex Booster and Solar Wings <3)

In fact, I feel like some of the Expert mode bosses from the WOF on need a rework. All the mechs have is increased HP, Damage, and Defense, and that is not really that good. I was hoping for new boss AI that enabled me to adapt to new situations, and I was very satisfied with the EoC and Skeletron during PHM. But the Golem, as well as the mechs I feel, need some love. Not to mention the Moon Lord. Give them some new AI, some cool EM drops (that minecart is useless for anyone who doesn't use them) and just make them cool. Make it so I have to learn again.

I agree with this post.

Expert Mode Moon Lord is a pain in the butt without tanking gear and a good auto-farm. If you're gonna ranger or mage, it might be a ridiculously hard challenge. Summoner can cheese the boss by hiding in a base and using a long Stardust Dragon to deal high DPS.

Difficulty in endgame isn't fair at times. It often depends on luck, skill or fast movement. The two latter are fine but luck isn't something that should be abused. If you get overwhelmed by tons of projectiles, it's barely possible to dodge it without a Rod Of Discord. It also depends on the tactic you use.

And the Expert Mode bosses. It's something that NEEDS work. I was disappointed when I noticed that 90% of HM bosses were barely changed (except health/damage). Come on, they could use some cool gimmicks. EoC goes berserk after it loses half of its health, Skeletron is nearly indestructible until you kill one of his hands (it starts launching homing skulls during this stage), BoC shows up mirror effects of itself to confuse the player, WoF can outrun the player when it has little health. Unique gimmicks are making Expert Mode more interesting to play. HM bosses lack these a lot, I think the devs ran out of ideas for them. I think Expert Mode would be much more fun if all bosses and some more enemies would be a completely new experience. New gimmicks, new challenges, etc. Increased health and damage isn't a "difficulty increase". It makes the game just a bit more frustrating (at least when some HM enemies can deal over 300 HP). I wish there would be more gimmicks.

Now for the things I disliked about the update:

1. Cosmic Car Key - after you get this item, the game may as well be re-named to "Saucer Shootout," because there is really no reason to ever leave your UFO after that. The fact that it doesn't even require an accessory slot and allows you to replace wings and boots - two previously essential items - with more defense/offense/utility, means that pretty much everything I enjoyed about the game gets thrown out the window. I always enjoyed fighting enemies when I had certain limitations and had to plan my moves carefully. Using your flight time wisely, positioning yourself on the ground, etc. With the UFO, you just keep pressing the direction you want to go while raining death from above with unlimited flight and two more accessory slots. The nuanced combat I loved about Terraria gets tossed out the window, and to go back to boots/wings means that you are intentionally handicapping yourself.

The Cosmic Car key doesn't replace boots, because boots shouldn't really be worn in the first place. The key replaces wings, so long as you're OK with losing a ton of acceleration and top speed. I wouldn't say that the key is an automatic inclusion, but it is perhaps more suitable if you're a walking tank.

2. Moon Lord Boss and Extreme Class Imbalance - Even in expert mode, pretty much every boss rewarded good movement and solid play with every class being usable. A couple bosses, namely Skeletron and Plantera, were incredibly difficult, but the challenge could be overcome. However, after coming face to face with Expert Mode Moon Lord, I realize that Melee/Defense blows literally everything else out of the water.

- Endgame melee builds have excellent range and can apply similar DPS to other classes while being able to take way, way more hits.

An end-game melee build focusing on defense will not be getting the same single target DPS as the other three classes. With Post Moon Lord gear, a tanky melee fighter will generate about 4-5K DPS at the high end (Terrarian or Star Wrath; Meowmere has inferior DPS), while the Mage and Ranger classes will generate around 12-14K+ DPS. The summoner class will generate around 10K from the Dragon alone, and the weapon will add around 2K or more to that. The DPS numbers are based on 0 defense enemies so of course they'll be lower on the Moon Lord, and won't be sustained.

Pre-Moon Lord gear favors the summoners greatly in terms of DPS, because the Dragon is an absolute beating even without Stardust Armor, but there's still a difference in single target DPS between Rangers and Warriors. The Ranger can reach around 5K DPS with the Phantasm and a little less with the Vortex Beater and Crystal Shard bullets. The Mage single target DPS is hard to evaluate because the DPS ranges quite a bit for Blizzard Staff and Nebula Blaze, but I'd eyeball the DPS at around 2K on average. The Warrior DPS usually tops out at around 2K with Daybreak and Terra Blade on ranged shots, but the Warrior can achieve around 5K DPS on close range Solar Eruption hits (which isn't going to happen too often in actual fights).

So with pre-Moon Lord gear the edge likely goes to the Summoner and Warrior classes (the Summoner can use the Nurse and/or just focus on dodging for around 2 minutes and using cover against 2 of the 4 Moon Lord attacks), but with post Moon Lord gear, all the classes are solid and the Ranger and Mage classes arguably have the edge at that point. One other thing to keep in mind is that Rangers and Mages have fire-and-forget weapons at the expense of some DPS (chlorophyte bullets for rangers and Razorbalde Typhoon for mages) which makes it easier to focus on dodging and make it a little easier to beat the Moon Lord with pre-ML gear - it's still quite a challenge though.

Last edited:
But the Golem, as well as the mechs I feel, need some love.
I think the problem with Golem is that while it technically has more health than Plantera, its health is split across multiple segments with smaller pools so you neuter any threat it poses.

Imagine a Golem fight where you can't break its fists. Those things swing constantly! ... but it wouldn't be fun.

When you look at it from another angle, Golem feels more like a breather boss, so I'm fine with that. Not everything has to be killdiemurder.

Ice Queens and Martian Saucers will fill that role happily.

- Honestly, I feel like mounts could be balanced if they at least took up an accessory slot instead. I mean, I can't fit another necklace on me because it would overload my slots and my neck and fingers only have so much real-estate, but I can somehow keep a UFO around free of charge. The saucer and fishron mounts wouldn't be so overpowered and feel like "must have" gear that forcefully changes the excellent action platformer combat to unlimited flight, go anywhere you want whenever you want kind of thing. Make players choose between wings and mounts instead of the mount slot being free, so long as mounts are that powerful. That, or make the unlimited flight mounts slower and more utilitarian.

- Events like Frost Moon and Pumpkin Moon are vastly superior strategy-wise because you actually have to find a balance between offense and defense to get as far as you can get. You need enough defense so you can survive, but enough offense to be able to get through the waves in a timely fashion, so everything is game there. With things like Moon Lord (and every other boss really), you just need enough defense to survive and trying to add in more offense and dodge attacks is punished instead of rewarded. The amount of damage you gain is minuscule in comparison to what you are dealt. At the grand culmination of the game, whatever class you happened to be playing through the game as, make sure you have that beetle shell and warding defensive trinkets for a complete makeover or god help you.

More "invasion-style" events would be highly welcome, perhaps some that take place during a day cycle while we have the night ones too. Think solar eclipse but with waves and bosses that get progressively harder the further you get. Those seem to be the greatest test of your ability and provide the most fun on the combat side of things for an endgame character.

3) Retextures.
At first, I dislike 1.2 - 1.3 retextures!
At second, Re-Logic could do a lot of NEW things. But they've just retextured all game and made a little bit NEW things. Ok...
This is the only thing here I'm gonna argue with. Part of the whole point of 1.3 was focusing a lot more on making existing things better in different ways, since most updates don't do much of that. Making older things fit in with the newer thing better, and making the game in general feel smoother. And they already added tons of things, they added way too many things for anyone to complain they didn't add enough.

At my opinion, wings are much better then any mount.

So... This is my things what I dislike at 1.3:

1) You can skip Duke Fishron boss, Pumpkin Moon, Frost Moon and Matian Madness.
At my opinion, these bosses and events are one the most interesting things in Terraria! And... You can skip them!
You'll say: "You can't deafeat Celestial Tower Event and Moon Lord without items from these bosses!!!". And I'll say: "NO!"
At first, Lunatic Cultist is very very very easy boss (as well as Golem). I think his difficulty = Plantera's difficulty!

I agree. I beat Lunatic Cultist and the first tower with a Chlorophyte Shotbow, and after that, was able to craft a weapon that made anything I could get from the Frost Moon/Solar Eclipse/Pumpkin Moon kinda irrelevant. The pillar items kinda displace these events into not necessarily fitting anywhere in the flow of the game when previously, they offered top tier items. On top of that, the moon events are only summoned with craftable items that a lot of players will likely overlook.

"with a proper arena, the infinite flying Fishron mount can outpace it by miles."

That's a good idea, i think you could make a sky arena, with a 3x3 bubble bubble block with 1 water tile in the middle, then spread these out everywhere and hit them to refresh the fishron speed boost. Or make the bubbles bigger if you need to

I'm not on expert mode but I thin i've heard the speed boost lasts outside of water for a little while

Back
Top Bottom