What is the worst terraria update?

AbominationGod

Terrarian
Like any update, not just the major ones.

I have never heard anyone complain of any update the entire time i’ve played this game.(maybe except torch luck)

All versions welcome, including 3DS and old gen.

Well far as major updates go, I've not really been a fan of 1.4+.
Sure there's been some good things done there, but it also rather feels like the devs have really been trying to force people to play specifically how they (the devs) want them to.
And who's :red:ing idea was it to force people to just get hit by the instakill (not literally but they do do a :red:load of damage) death beam attacks of moon lord and martian saucer unless they've gotten the one in five infinity chance of getting the RoD?

Read to the end, I don’t want it to be misinterpreted

Probably the one that removed Old-Gen console content. Not because of Ocram, but because of stuff like the Guinea Pig pet and Horned God Costume. They just looked great and didn’t impact the gameplay at all, and wish they got added to other versions. Thankfully I have Consolaria for that

1.4 was probably my most controversal one.
As Defure mentioned it had a lot of great changes and additions, but it also introduced a few harsh and inconsistent limitations to the players that made the game less enjoyable overall.
(Things include the accessoires only been able to put in vanity slots if they've a visible sprite, the torch luck system subtly forcing you to use other torches besides the main ones, and the NPC happiness system that hates their homes with more than 2 neighbours)
This still was not entirely a downgrade, as you also now had the option to quickswap the top accessoire with any accessoire in inventory, the negative torch luck removed and "Torch God's Favor" and the Pylon system that allows you to teleport to any small towns to encourage NPC spreading.
These were alright, but it still encouraged you to play the game in a specific way, instead of playing the game the way you want. (Like an actual sandbox)

Later however, 1.4.4 has reverted the vanity accessoire limitation, and made the NPC happiness more subtle, along with introducing even more QoL changes and balancing. So that was their redeeming arc.

I don't play console, so I don't really hold any sentimental value to the console exclusives.

I didn't care for 1.4.3, but that's more because I just don't care for the Don't Starve Together content, so the update didn't add anything of value for me. This is more a personal thing though, not so much for objective reasons.

Otherwise, I would agree that 1.4 added a few inconvenient things, but for me, the good that came of the update far outweighed the bad, and it ultimately became one of my personal favorite updates just for Journey Mode alone.

1.3, moon lord + pillars absolutely ruined the endgame, making it incredibly centralized (just pillars, moon lord, and martians), compared to 1.2.4.1 which was incredibly diverse: pumpkin moon, frost moon, hardmode dungeon, plantera, golem, fishron, even the traveling merchant (pulse bow), etc (there are many more things that were part of the 1.2.4.1 endgame.)
1.3 added some very good features, but I don't think it can make up for that. It hasn't gotten much better, and 1.4 effectively killed the endgame with the introduction of the zenith.

1.3, moon lord + pillars absolutely ruined the endgame, making it incredibly centralized (just pillars, moon lord, and martians), compared to 1.2.4.1 which was incredibly diverse: pumpkin moon, frost moon, hardmode dungeon, plantera, golem, fishron, even the traveling merchant (pulse bow), etc (there are many more things that were part of the 1.2.4.1 endgame.)
1.3 added some very good features, but I don't think it can make up for that. It hasn't gotten much better, and 1.4 effectively killed the endgame with the introduction of the zenith.
You have a huge point there. I always saw that even after Golem, You had so many opportunities to test out your combat skills. The issue there is especially now, Most people go from Golem straight to Moonlord without attempting any of those until after him, aside from Fishron sometimes.

1.4 was probably my most controversal one.
As Defure mentioned it had a lot of great changes and additions, but it also introduced a few harsh and inconsistent limitations to the players that made the game less enjoyable overall.
(Things include the accessoires only been able to put in vanity slots if they've a visible sprite, the torch luck system subtly forcing you to use other torches besides the main ones, and the NPC happiness system that hates their homes with more than 2 neighbours)
This still was not entirely a downgrade, as you also now had the option to quickswap the top accessoire with any accessoire in inventory, the negative torch luck removed and "Torch God's Favor" and the Pylon system that allows you to teleport to any small towns to encourage NPC spreading.
These were alright, but it still encouraged you to play the game in a specific way, instead of playing the game the way you want. (Like an actual sandbox)

Later however, 1.4.4 has reverted the vanity accessoire limitation, and made the NPC happiness more subtle, along with introducing even more QoL changes and balancing. So that was their redeeming arc.

I don't play console, so I don't really hold any sentimental value to the console exclusives.
>These were alright, but it still encouraged you to play the game in a specific way, instead of playing the game the way you want. (Like an actual sandbox)

True, i still can't grasp why there's a hallow pylon, even though the hallow spreads and the and good riddance achievement encourages you to get rid of it. And even then, we should give npc happiness similar treatment to torch luck by making it to where there is no increase in price, only decrease.

I agree, there should be more bosses and events around that stage. But the biggest downside in 1.3 is the useless Granite and Marble biomes + the pointless slime rain. 1. The granite and marble biomes are neglected and exist as filler, while the slime rain has no exclusive enemies and wastes your time. We have 2 ways to spawn king slime, we don't need a third one.

i say 1.1.1 all it added was the frost legion one of the worst events in the game
What was the point of adding the frost legion if all your gonna do is make people wait a certain period of time, make them prey to rng they get a summoning item and then neglect the event for years to come. 10 years and nothing was added. They might as well remove it i guess.

It's easy !
1.4 - new merging building blocks behaviour makes everything looks ugly
- no more accessoires in vanity slots
- torch luck
- cracked dungeon bricks. They can literally fill the whole dungeon and annoying at best.
In addition 1.4 got like a huge marketing campaign. "Over 1000+ new items blah blah blah". While in reality all we've got are 1000+1 variants of coloured toilets and other vanity stuff, one bullets hell boss and one OP sword...

1.4.2 - Steam Workshop sounds good but people stop bothering to upload their stuff anywhere else besides Steam Workshop. And for thouse like myself who bought Terraria from GoG it means we can't use that stuff.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the non-console releases of terraria. Never played it at the time but 1.1 seemed awkward. Instead of a last boss you complete, it's just 3 bosses. All other updates [to my knowledge] has a last boss.

It's easy !
1.4 - new merging building blocks behaviour makes everything looks ugly
- no more accessoires in vanity slots
- torch luck
- cracked dungeon bricks. They can literally fill the whole dungeon and annoying at best.
In addition 1.4 got like a huge marketing campaign. "Over 1000+ new items blah blah blah". While in reality all we've got are 1000+1 variants of coloured toilets and other vanity stuff, one bullets hell boss and one OP sword...

1.4.2 - Steam Workshop sounds good but people stop bothering to upload their stuff anywhere else besides Steam Workshop. And for thouse like myself who bought Terraria from GoG it means we can't use that stuff.
Cracked dungeon bricks are the worst decision re-logic has ever made. I get they what they were going for but this is not how you make the dungeon challenging. I also understand that 1.4.2 is unfair for everyone else because steam gets community created :red: while everyone else doesn’t.

I'm talking about the non-console releases of terraria. Never played it at the time but 1.1 seemed awkward. Instead of a last boss you complete, it's just 3 bosses. All other updates [to my knowledge] has a last boss.
True, but that’s a really small issue in my opinion.

I can't say there's ever been a "bad" update, as that implies I stopped enjoying the game.. but everything around Moon Lord while 1.3 was still being updated was completely hysterical. The arms race between players to beat this boss as easily as possible using existing game mechanics and the development team saying "no you can't use that mechanic" was absolutely legendary, and I think we've all forgotten it since we all joke about Torch Luck and the Torch God more.

The Moon Lord arms race is almost entirely responsible for the term "cheese" being used as a no-no word for somebody playing the game in a more advantageous way, or a way that's "less honorable" to you.

A timeline of the silliest update sequence known to man, beast, and god:

1.3.0.1 - June 30, 2015
Moon Lord is introduced. Everyone is just throwing Vampire Knives and Spectre Hood at it. Despite this being completely fair play for other encounters, and the massive DPS hit that these methods make you take to use them...

1.3.0.3 - July 2, 2015
Moon Lord now inflicts the Moon Bite debuff, which disables weapon-based HP recovery. Vampire Knives and Spectre Hood are completely killed by this update, since you otherwise will basically always have Moon Bite during this fight. Nurse and Heart Statues are still totally fine, though. Speaking of the Nurse...

Moon Lord did not yet have its teleportation behavior, so you could just kite it in one direction, Recall Potion back to a spawn point with the Nurse, and have all the time in the world to heal during the fight, even without auto-pause enabled. In response...

1.3.0.4 - July 9, 2015
Moon Lord will now automatically teleport to the player if too much distance is between them. This includes high-speed kiting, as well as teleportation. This sharply increased the difficulty of the fight, as the Nurse is no longer completely safe to use without autopause on.

1.3.0.5 - July 13, 2015
The Celestial Sigil now exists. The prior two weeks of this boss existing, it did not have a spawner, and you had to clear the Cultists and Pillars every. Single. Time. You wanted to battle the boss.. all while there were consistent updates that were effectively the rules of the game being changed on you in the silliest game of Calvinball I've personally been a part of.

Speaking of Calvinball, at this point, people started setting up invulnerability machines using the Slimy Saddle and Target Dummies. If you set things up just right, you would always have invulnerability frames due to always being in a target bouncing state, and you could trivialize every boss. Can you guess what happens next?

1.3.0.6 - July 20, 2015
The Moon Lord's attacks now have their own invulnerability timers, independent of the timers used by every other attack in the game.
This completely kills Slimy Saddle invulnerability machines. It also means that if a Solar Eclipse randomly occurs while you're fighting the Moon Lord, you're basically just dead, as you now have to deal with the Eclipse enemies firing projetiles at you from off-screen while you try to deal with the Moon Lord's attacks.

Note that since this was 1.3, our only infinite flight options were the UFO mount and the Cute Fishron mount. The UFO, compared to Witch's Broom and Soaring Insignia/Hoverboard (or Betsy's Wings, if you farm for that), is extremely mediocre - the handling is rough, and your hitbox becomes nearly twice as large. Cute Fishron suffers the same hitbox issues, and is also slower until you're at half HP, which is not exactly a state you want to be in when you're staring down the Moon Lord during a Solar Eclipse.

At this point, the Moon Lord is playing by its own rules, but these are honestly still fairly reasonable expectations. If these stipulations were in the game when the Moon Lord first released, there would have been complaining at the start, but people wouldn't have really minded. Unfortunately, the fact they were added slowly over time is just really bad optics. They go from the last boss being an otherworldly being that doesn't care about your mortal weapons to.. well, basically the game development version of a temper tantrum.

Fortunately, though, this was the last update to the Moon Lord that changed how you have to approach the boss. You have to build a proper arena to deal with staying at certain elevations for each of its eyes depending on class, and you may want to have a row of solid blocks to pull the Moon Lord above in order to deal with the Phantasmal Deathray, but it's otherwise

1.4.0.1 - May 16, 2020
The Phantasmal Deathray now goes through solid blocks between the Moon Lord and the player.

over9k.jpg

Last edited:
This is the same as 1.0.6. There's no set order of bosses in 1.0.6 either. You could argue that EoC is the easiest bost, and Skeletron is the hardest, but you could also argue that the twins are the easiest and skeletron prime is the hardest.
1.2 (not 1.2.1 through 1.2.4) and 1.3+ are the only versions with a definitive "last boss." (With 1.2.1, you could argue either the pumpkin moon or golem being the final boss. Same with 1.2.2, 1.2.3, and 1.2.4.)

Just because a version had a "Last Boss" doesn't mean the game really ends there, all of these "last bosses" felt rather underwhelming and easy, and often had more content right afterwards too, which made the end rather open.

I personally liked the mechs that brought the "fight 3 mechs at once" challenge to light.

The PM/FM also came in close back when they were the ultimate challenge.

I can't say there's ever been a "bad" update, as that implies I stopped enjoying the game.. but everything around Moon Lord while 1.3 was still being updated was completely hysterical. The arms race between players to beat this boss as easily as possible using existing game mechanics and the development team saying "no you can't use that mechanic" was absolutely legendary, and I think we've all forgotten it since we all joke about Torch Luck and the Torch God more.

The Moon Lord arms race is almost entirely responsible for the term "cheese" being used as a no-no word for somebody playing the game in a more advantageous way, or a way that's "less honorable" to you.

A timeline of the silliest update sequence known to man, beast, and god:

1.3.0.1 - June 30, 2015
Moon Lord is introduced. Everyone is just throwing Vampire Knives and Spectre Hood at it. Despite this being completely fair play for other encounters, and the massive DPS hit that these methods make you take to use them...

1.3.0.3 - July 2, 2015
Moon Lord now inflicts the Moon Bite debuff, which disables weapon-based HP recovery. Vampire Knives and Spectre Hood are completely killed by this update, since you otherwise will basically always have Moon Bite during this fight. Nurse and Heart Statues are still totally fine, though. Speaking of the Nurse...

Moon Lord did not yet have its teleportation behavior, so you could just kite it in one direction, Recall Potion back to a spawn point with the Nurse, and have all the time in the world to heal during the fight, even without auto-pause enabled. In response...

1.3.0.4 - July 9, 2015
Moon Lord will now automatically teleport to the player if too much distance is between them. This includes high-speed kiting, as well as teleportation. This sharply increased the difficulty of the fight, as the Nurse is no longer completely safe to use without autopause on.

1.3.0.5 - July 13, 2015
The Celestial Sigil now exists. The prior two weeks of this boss existing, it did not have a spawner, and you had to clear the Cultists and Pillars every. Single. Time. You wanted to battle the boss.. all while there were consistent updates that were effectively the rules of the game being changed on you in the silliest game of Calvinball I've personally been a part of.

Speaking of Calvinball, at this point, people started setting up invulnerability machines using the Slimy Saddle and Target Dummies. If you set things up just right, you would always have invulnerability frames due to always being in a target bouncing state, and you could trivialize every boss. Can you guess what happens next?

1.3.0.6 - July 20, 2015
The Moon Lord's attacks now have their own invulnerability timers, independent of the timers used by every other attack in the game.
This completely kills Slimy Saddle invulnerability machines. It also means that if a Solar Eclipse randomly occurs while you're fighting the Moon Lord, you're basically just dead, as you now have to deal with the Eclipse enemies firing projetiles at you from off-screen while you try to deal with the Moon Lord's attacks.

Note that since this was 1.3, our only infinite flight options were the UFO mount and the Cute Fishron mount. The UFO, compared to Witch's Broom and Soaring Insignia/Hoverboard (or Betsy's Wings, if you farm for that), is extremely mediocre - the handling is rough, and your hitbox becomes nearly twice as large. Cute Fishron suffers the same hitbox issues, and is also slower until you're at half HP, which is not exactly a state you want to be in when you're staring down the Moon Lord during a Solar Eclipse.

At this point, the Moon Lord is playing by its own rules, but these are honestly still fairly reasonable expectations. If these stipulations were in the game when the Moon Lord first released, there would have been complaining at the start, but people wouldn't have really minded. Unfortunately, the fact they were added slowly over time is just really bad optics. They go from the last boss being an otherworldly being that doesn't care about your mortal weapons to.. well, basically the game development version of a temper tantrum.

Fortunately, though, this was the last update to the Moon Lord that changed how you have to approach the boss. You have to build a proper arena to deal with staying at certain elevations for each of its eyes depending on class, and you may want to have a row of solid blocks to pull the Moon Lord above in order to deal with the Phantasmal Deathray, but it's otherwise

1.4.0.1 - May 16, 2020
The Phantasmal Deathray now goes through solid blocks between the Moon Lord and the player.

View attachment 402998
Relogic wants people to progress a certain way. In 1.4, they nerfed the reaver shark and made it to where you have to defeat the evil’s boss to spawn meteors. These changes were understandable, but resulted in less freedom on how you want to progress. They also made a change to the dungeon guardians where killing them won’t allow you access to the dungeon, which is far more understandable that the previous 2 changes. 1.4 is pretty good, but they added changes which made the game a little less enjoyable. You can’t keep your npcs in a massive prison without increasing the prices for their items and the game encourages you to keep the hallow because npcs like it.

Just because a version had a "Last Boss" doesn't mean the game really ends there, all of these "last bosses" felt rather underwhelming and easy, and often had more content right afterwards too, which made the end rather open.

I personally liked the mechs that brought the "fight 3 mechs at once" challenge to light.

The PM/FM also came in close back when they were the ultimate challenge.

Golem is still easy even for a post plantera boss. No matter how many times re-logic buffed him he still is the laughing stock of terraria.

Moon lord is the perfect final boss in terraria even though he was easy back then.

They also made a change to the dungeon guardians where killing them won’t allow you access to the dungeon
Wasn't that like much before 1.4? Because I don't remember being able to access dungeon just by killing dungeon guardian in any version I've played.

Back
Top Bottom