Votes: 22 28.2%
  • Ranger - Ranged

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Mage - Magic

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Summoner

Votes: 19 24.4%

• Total voters
Ranged, magic, melee (no summoner on console) Melee weapons stink at all parts of the game. Especially hell-tier (in console). Magic is the most effective, but not as satisfying as mercyless chaingunspam. I tried an army of 5 pygmies once, (with the help of my stinger) but it wasn't effective at all.

Ranged, magic, melee (no summoner on console) Melee weapons stink at all parts of the game. Especially hell-tier (in console). Magic is the most effective, but not as satisfying as mercyless chaingunspam. I tried an army of 5 pygmies once, (with the help of my stinger) but it wasn't effective at all.
But this is the PC forum..?

Because if you want to talk about consoles you go to the console forum. Doesn't make much sense to go to PC forum to talk about console version.
And? All this is doing is derailing the thread. Do you really care that much if someone with slightly less content posts here?

And? All this is doing is derailing the thread. Do you really care that much if someone with slightly less content posts here?

You're technically derailing the thread as well. And if you replied I was planning on just saying I wouldn't reply to any more posts to stop the derailing of the thread. No, I don't care too much. I just said this is the PC forum and you're making a big deal about it. (You're thinking wrong anyways. I'm not saying he should be restricted from posting here because he's from console.) So yea, like I said above, I'm going to stop posting about this.

The summoner class, absolutely. While the boss fights are what everyone usually thinks about when they think about combat in Terraria, the truth is that 99% of the game is just exploring, building, shopping, crafting, farming, etc., and summoner is unquestionably the best for all of those. It's only in boss fights and events like Frost Moon that it falls a little short, but even then once you get to endgame and get the Stardust Dragon it manages to catch up pretty quick. Plus, there's just something satisfying about having an army of minions at your beck and call.

The other classes are really fun to play too, though. Each one has its own appeal, so it's hard to pick one for second place. Swords, guns, and giant laser beams are all equally fun and satisfying to use in my eyes.

No-specific class, I seldom play through with one class, mostly mixed.
But the summoner is really good for AFK farm.

Hard to decide. I like both warrior and summoner because you don't have to worry about ammo/mana

Then, there are infinity Musket Ball bag and Quiver.

Couldn't decide between the Ranger and Summoner, so I just went with the Summoner, 'cuz an army of minions is pretty sweet... also because my aim is just horrible as a Ranger. :joy:

Summoner, pretty hard to play early game but immensely satisfying once you can play it. Also leaves you free to play any other class as a side class.

Ranged is my top choice all-around, usually with a focus on archery; I choose archer in just about every game where that's an option. Nothing beats it for me.
And to everyone bemoaning ammo, it's seriously dirt cheap. Raw materials are like a copper each, then just farm a few unicorn horns or crystal shards and bam, full stack of holy arrows/crystal bullets. That'll last you for days with the kind of ammo consumption reduction you get with end-game ranged stuff. It could use a bit more variety and a better way to switch ammo, but it's really not as bad as people make it think. Keep an bottomless quiver/ammo bag if you worry about running out.

When it comes to clearing difficult content, sometimes I'll switch to melee for the better suitability.

As for aesthetics and interesting mechanics, magic takes the cake, but I just can't get the hang of the play style.

I only go full-on summoning when I want to farm stuff without being bothered by mobs; I always have a summon out no matter what class I build, anyway.

I would totally do throwing if it was viable late-game; very fun. (This is where keeping up your ammo actually matters in this game, but it probably wouldn't be if it was more fleshed-out.)

I started in 1.1 where nobody really had classes. Everybody kinda just used what did the most damage. 1.2, I liked how they improved and made actual classes more valid. I started with mele, Like most people would, I liked it. I tried the rest and honestly i liked all the classes. They added summoner and i tried it, one again i liked it. Mage seemed awesome to me, but in comparison to the others i found it tedious and boring. To me it just felt to distant from the actual playing. Summoner was a little funner than mage to me but i just felt like i wasnt doing as much and the minions where doing everything(i mean i guess thats to point). Mele will never get old it reminds me of the old days and to me its fun. But ranger to me is just amassing and above all other classes. When i play ranger to me it feels like, While im powerful, Im providing great support. Some say ranger sucks because all you do is point and click but... What the hell are you doing to attack other than clicking with different weapons in terraria. With ranger you also have the highground, The advantage in pvp, The ability to kill your foes before they even see you coming. Of course depending on how good you are determines the victory. 1.3, They improved on all the classes and- wtf who doesnt love 1.3? Anyway ranger to me is just a very solitude and powerful class that can kill from afar, And thats what i like to do.

Also i used to lag a :red: ton so ranger was the easiest back then.
But ranger is still funner even now to me.

Ohhh... It isn't an easy question for me.

First of all, every single class is really funny to play.
So let's analyze each of them.

Warrior has a lot of weapons (swords, spears, etc.) making playthrough for him ins't a big problem.
The beginning... Hardmode... Celestial Event... Warrior always is cool!
Also, he's got the best number of defence. But the damage isn't cool unlike ranger damage.
Defence: the best. Damage: middling. Number of weapons: the best.

Mage isn't cool at the beginning, but since Metor Armor + Space Gun he becomes probably the best class for this game stage.
At the ending of Pre-Hardmode he's still supercool class. After getting the Hardmode he's still a good one.
Since Hardmode to Pillars, this class didn't bring me problems. But Moon Lord... With mage low defence he isn't easy.
However, if you can farm Moon Lord, you will get end-game mage gear, that deals insanely crazy damage!
Defence: low. Damage: the best with end-game gear. Number of weapons: middling.

Ranger is a great class for beginners as well as Warrior class. At the beginning he cans easily craft a bow and arrows, this game stage isn't a problem for him.
As well as Warrior, he always is a pretty nice class. Also I think these weapons are UNREAL powerful:
Chlorophyte Shotbow, Megashark, Daedalus Stromblow, Phantasm (at my opinion, it's the best weapon can be obtained before Moon Lord), S.D.M.G., Tsunami.
Defence: middling. Damage: the best before the end-game. Number of weapons: a lot.

Summoner... The worst class for the beginners I guess. And the weakest, yeah.
But... If he is really is. Why do we need him?
And yeah, even the worst class in the game has got some applications :)
1) AFK farm.
Build an arena, where the mobs will spawn, but your character will be in safety. Summon your minions and go to the kitchen to drink a tea (and eat cookies, of course).
2) Special for Yrimir-like people.
If you get bored to kill bosses for few seconds... If you get bored to find a weapon for your class in the first minute of the game...
You should play for the summoner! :3
3) In addition to magic/ranger/melee weapons.
Defence: the worst. Damage: the worst (though Xeno Staff and Stardust Dragon are dealing really big damage). Number of weapons: the worst.

My opinion is:
Ranger is the strongest class.
Warrior is the guy who can tank loads of damage.
Mage is the most interesting class.
Summoner is the hardest class and class for AFK farming.

What about the poll? I've chosen "Mage - Magic", because he's the most interesting class for me and I like it!

Last edited:
Summoner... The worst class for the beginners I guess. And the weakest, yeah.
Damage: the worst (though Xeno Staff and Stardust Dragon are dealing really big damage).

That's completely false. Far from being the weakest class, summoners have the potential to be the highest single-target DPS-dealers in the game. You just have to know what you're doing.

I really like being a magic user in the games I play, so for my first complete run of Terraria I was a mage/wizard. Now I'm the Yo-yo Master (literally, that's the name of my character), so I guess I'm melee with the restriction of only using yoyos

That's completely false. Far from being the weakest class, summoners have the potential to be the highest single-target DPS-dealers in the game. You just have to know what you're doing.
Can confirm :p
Summoner is a class which is a bit difficult to play, but if you play your cards (and accessories) right, you will be a truly unstoppable force.

I started to like the summoner class. Once you get to mid-late Hardmode (post-Plantera, post-Mech), you can get pretty good gear. Also, I remember using the UFO's (later cells) to destroy most of the enemies during the Lunar Events. While the low defense and small amount of weapons is their weakness, it's a pretty strategic class. If you prepare well, you can deal extreme damage to enemies. It's also great for AFK-farming.

I started to use mage gear more often than melee. Late swords make stuff easy due to their projectiles. Magic weapons are powerful, but they drain mana, forcing you to wait or prepare much better.

Back
Top Bottom