Why Endgame Ranger fails and how to improve it

Do you like the new Endgame Ranger?

• Yes

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters
I love the endgame ranger set; my only problem designwise is that the Vortex Beater is obsoleted nearly instantly after you craft it (SDMG).

Celebration's problem is that the "V" shots reduce accuracy by a large margin (Or you angle it so that a single shot hits, but then you may as well use Snowman Cannon) as well as the shots detonating after a fixed distance so you can't spam enemies from offscreen with it. I'd rather it fire a single rocket that repeatedly explodes into fireworks when it collides with an enemy creating an AoE of continuous damage for a brief period.

I've got no issues with the weapons. Phantasm is still great post-nerf and while the vortex beater could stand to be buffed, I'm satisfied with the SDMG. If I wanted weapons with weird mechanics I'd just play with magic. I use guns because I can hold down a button and watch things die while concentrating on dodging. You praise the Solar armor even though, let's face it, it really IS just beetle armor with the added effect of letting you kill yourself when you accidentally doubletap a direction and end up dashing into a boss. In comparison, having the ability to actually toggle stealth gives you a whole new way to play whereby you can activate stealth during boss openings to boost your damage then deactivate to dodge.

The only issue I have is endgame survivability. As a defensive measure, stealth is all but useless when you're playing solo, and we lack the healing of magic and defensive boosts of melee.

I've got no issues with the weapons. Phantasm is still great post-nerf and while the vortex beater could stand to be buffed, I'm satisfied with the SDMG. If I wanted weapons with weird mechanics I'd just play with magic. I use guns because I can hold down a button and watch things die while concentrating on dodging. You praise the Solar armor even though, let's face it, it really IS just beetle armor with the added effect of letting you kill yourself when you accidentally doubletap a direction and end up dashing into a boss. In comparison, having the ability to actually toggle stealth gives you a whole new way to play whereby you can activate stealth during boss openings to boost your damage then deactivate to dodge.

The only issue I have is endgame survivability. As a defensive measure, stealth is all but useless when you're playing solo, and we lack the healing of magic and defensive boosts of melee.
That's an interesting point, I always tought stealth was bad in singleplayer, not so anymore because I mainly play multiplayer now in 1.3, and stealth has a important role even if you're playing with a warrior that will lure all the mobs anyway. In expert mode you take 50+ of pretty much every mob if you don't use banners, so maybe stealth could give you a little defense boost? It goes off for a short time if you're hit anyway.

not to mention the fact that we only become HALF invisible in contrary to the shroomite set, which makes you nearly fully invisible :/ the only thing i really benefit from as a ranger is the extra +11 defense and mid air shooting (i break my ''invisibility'' with ninja dashes repetetively to sustain speed aswel as to dodge incoming attacks) i also don't understand why the set has less movement speed on it's own. 10% increase in contrary to the shroomite set's 12%. it would have been nice to atleast have some sort of barrier or something that would increase your defense while on stealth mode, or higher health regeneration. also the fact that it has less movement speed is rediculous.. it looks really cool though, and the concept of movement during stealth mode is good, although might have been better on the shroomite set.

i can fully relate to your desire of new mechanics!
but i'm not sure what that would be.. relogic has obviously been experimenting.. we can throw shurikens and use the bone glove and such,
maybe double speed would be a cool set effect?
or drones flying around the player?

Lock-on Target (Bullet)
-60 Damage, Average DPS
-Allows you to "lock on" a target, automaticlly shooting at it until it dies or goes out of range (angle, distance)
-Can lock on to up to 3 different entities
(Rare drop from Martian Walker)

Fireworks Cannon (Rocket)
-80 Damage, Slow DPS
-Drops a missile-like projectile. After 3 seconds, flies for 3 seconds to where the tip of the projectile is, and explodes into a colourful fireworks, splattering 12 projectiles that explodes on impact.
-Will explode if came in contact with a solid object
-Sold by the Party Girl post Moon Lord

Mortar (Rocket)
-120 Damage, Very slow DPS
-Sends a fast missle-like projectile and has a big explosion radius that can pierce through 1 enemy and explodes on the second impact.
-Sold by the Pirate post Moon Lord

Hail Projectile (Arrow)
-75 Damage, Insanely Fast DPS
-Only fires at one direction, which is upwards
-Fires very innacurately
(The point of this gun is to shower surrounding areas with arrows, making this gun completely ineffective underground, but useful to open areas)
-Sold by the Merchant post Moon Lord

Acidifier (Unique)
-80 Damage, Slow DPS
-Fires dye, splashing the enemy with the coloured dye taking continous damage for 6 seconds (3 if raining, 4 if submerged in water, and 1 if raining and submerged in water)
-Sold by the Painter post Plantera
-Uses Dye as ammo

Caldera (Bullet)
-95 Damage, Slow DPs
-Fires "Hell Bullets" dealing burn debuff towards the enemy, in shots of 8-16
-Rare drop from all hell mobs post Moon Lord

Just some ideas that sounds unique and may be added

I do like how people look at the Ranger weapons and say they are unoriginal, when they forget about the second part of the Ranger's arsenal; ammunition. One is not complete without the other, barring the Piranha and Harpoon gun. Mind you, it's not like they added much ammunition with 1.3, which is a damn shame.

Oh well, moving on.

What's the big issue?
Guns are guns; there's not much you can do with them, and the bullets supply all the variety you could need.
The armour is really powerful. The ability to have (relatively) free movement while also dishing out massive pain is brilliant. I don't know what the issue with it is. Yes, it's not the most original, but it works great for what it does.
The lunar ranged weapons are good as is.

What's the big issue?
Guns are guns; there's not much you can do with them, and the bullets supply all the variety you could need.
The armour is really powerful. The ability to have (relatively) free movement while also dishing out massive pain is brilliant. I don't know what the issue with it is. Yes, it's not the most original, but it works great for what it does.
The lunar ranged weapons are good as is.

the game is pretty balanced, as of now. absolutely. but rangers just get the same armour they used all along..granted that it has a stat upgrade and the ability to move in stealth mode. (really slow however) but it's basically the same concept as we were used to all along, it's like reading the same book all over again.
and to top it all off we get the same weapons all over again aswel. (pretty much) the phantasm nerf hit us hard!
it would have been nice seeing some lower tiered ranged weapons that do have the desired diversity come in action on higher level grounds. (and actually be useful)
there's a few examples of diverse ranged weapons; bee's knees, daedalus storm bow, the pulse bow, hellwing bow, sniper rifle, proxy mines, flamethrower, the coin gun and so on. but these are all pretty useless compared to the only other option we have, the SDMG.
there's alot you could do with a gun. hell, they could make it shoot dead bouncing clusterbombing moles for all the developers would care lol

the game is pretty balanced, as of now. absolutely. but rangers just get the same armour they used all along..granted that it has a stat upgrade and the ability to move in stealth mode. (really slow however) but it's basically the same concept as we were used to all along, it's like reading the same book all over again.
and to top it all off we get the same weapons all over again aswel. (pretty much) the phantasm nerf hit us hard!
it would have been nice seeing some lower tiered ranged weapons that do have the desired diversity come in action on higher level grounds. (and actually be useful)
there's a few examples of diverse ranged weapons; bee's knees, daedalus storm bow, the pulse bow, hellwing bow, sniper rifle, proxy mines, flamethrower, the coin gun and so on. but these are all pretty useless compared to the only other option we have, the SDMG.
there's alot you could do with a gun. hell, they could make it shoot dead bouncing clusterbombing moles for all the developers would care lol
I recently did a full ranger playthrough and it was easier than a melee playthrough.
I'd say it's like playing the sequel to a game.
You know what you're getting into, but the big issues have been ironed out (not being able to move while stealthed) and you have the bits that were good improved.
It's probably the biggest bit of variety we've ever gotten on a gun. Most of the good weapons are just improvements of ones we've already used (the megashark comes to mind as one of the superior weapons for it's tier in HM. The same applies for the SDMG). The grenade launcher is amazing.
The daedalus stormbow is really quite situational; it's ability only works in open air, and I only really found it useful for the mechs, where you're battling in open air, and after that you can get superior weapons.
The coin gun I never really got round to using, because I like to keep my money.
Flamethrower is something that would be interesting to get an end-game variation of. However, it's not actually all that great.

But then again, if we had all of these, 2 things would happen: 1) We'd continue to call it out for being uninspired (like we are now) and 2) We'd be vastly out-gearing every other class. Also, the phantasm's gimmick is rather unique. Hit an enemy, and it will spew arrows at said enemy without you needing to aim, really. And the "speeding up as you fire" is something I don't believe any other weapon has. Also, no other weapon can claim to be a combo bullet-explosive, like the Vortex Beater. Yes, it's an inaccurate bullet weapon, but not every weapon needs a gimmick that turns all them luminite bullets into something else that is inferior. It is a gun, it knows that, and it decides it wants to be a gun, not a "gun". It just decides to also be an explosive weapon. Which is great. Yeah, the SDMG is a bit generic, but is there really some big issue with sticking to what works?
Here's the thing:
Melee: Get a long-ranged, inaccurate variation of the "flails" that have been accompanied us throughout all of HM (and overstayed their welcome), an infinite javelin (basically that's all it is.), a free-to-use Flower of Fire (Meowmere) and a free-to-use blizzard staff.
Magic: Get an upgraded spectre staff, an UP slow explosive, a death ray and an upgraded blizzard staff.
Summoner: Get a single, powerful minion, a swarm minion, a turret that never hits and a turret that hits but doesn't do much.
Ranged: Get a gun that shoots explosives and bullets, a bow that can fire rather quick and spews arrows at enemies you hit, a two-firing rocket launcher that's useless and a fast-firing, accurate but ammo eating machine gun.
I feel like it's somewhat balanced, as it is.

The grenade launcher is amazing.
No it's not... It's just a slow-firing Megashark with Explosive Bullets.

Flamethrower is something that would be interesting to get an end-game variation of. However, it's not actually all that great.
Elf_Melter.png
It stil sucks tho.

Also, no other weapon can claim to be a combo bullet-explosive, like the Vortex Beater. Yes, it's an inaccurate bullet weapon, but not every weapon needs a gimmick that turns all them luminite bullets into something else that is inferior.
Nebula_Blaze.png
Actually, Nebula Blaze's projectiles are both weak, no knockback as bullets and strong and explosive as rockets.

And the "speeding up as you fire" is something I don't believe any other weapon has
Laser_Machinegun.png

Melee: Get a long-ranged, inaccurate variation of the "flails" that have been accompanied us throughout all of HM (and overstayed their welcome), an infinite javelin (basically that's all it is.), a free-to-use Flower of Fire (Meowmere) and a free-to-use blizzard staff.
Magic: Get an upgraded spectre staff, an UP slow explosive, a death ray and an upgraded blizzard staff.
Summoner: Get a single, powerful minion, a swarm minion, a turret that never hits and a turret that hits but doesn't do much.
Ranged: Get a gun that shoots explosives and bullets, a bow that can fire rather quick and spews arrows at enemies you hit, a two-firing rocket launcher that's useless and a fast-firing, accurate but ammo eating machine gun.
Melee: Accuracy doesn't matter as the Solar Eruption will always hit the mouse pointer at least once. An infinite Javelin with the highest DoT in the game that adds 800 DPS on everything? Sure, that thing sucks, that's all meh lol xd. A free to use Flower of Fire with the highest damage per hit in the game and just an upgrade to the absolutely second most popular weapon in the entire game (after the Water Bolt).

Magic: The Nebula Blaze is nothing like the Spectre Staff. Assuming they're the same weapon just because of the homing ability is lame. Nebula Arcanum sucks anyway. You said it right: Death ray. What would you want from the highest DPS in the game? Lunar Flare is your "I'm too lazy to charge the prism" weapon.

Summoner: Stardust Dragon is unique. Try telling that to the SDMG. All minions are swarms and the turrets sucks aswell.

Ranged: Ok, let's see. You were complaining that every single non-ranger end-game weapon was just an upgraded version of X, and the ranger weapons are unique?

No it's not... It's just a slow-firing Megashark with Explosive Bullets.
The Vortex beater is closer to a chain gun that's a tad more accurate and has an extra explosive added in for good measure.

Elf_Melter.png
It stil sucks tho.
Yes, because that's not end-game any more, is it?

Nebula_Blaze.png
Actually, Nebula Blaze's projectiles are both weak, no knockback as bullets and strong and explosive as rockets.
It homes in and has a small AoE. Totally a gun-rocket combo.

Point taken.

Melee: Accuracy doesn't matter as the Solar Eruption will always hit the mouse pointer at least once. An infinite Javelin with the highest DoT in the game that adds 800 DPS on everything? Sure, that thing sucks, that's all meh lol xd. A free to use Flower of Fire with the highest damage per hit in the game and just an upgrade to the absolutely second most popular weapon in the entire game (after the Water Bolt).
Accuracy sorta does matter, but I never claimed it was bad. It is personally one of my favourite weapons to use. But it is what I said: A slightly inaccurate version of a "flail", which has the wall piercing of a spear, the thing the "flails" seem to take inspiration from.
DoT doesn't mean crap when I could just shred through it with the Solar Eruption. The Daybreak is kinda useless, as you'll mostly be coming across crowds, which is why the Nebula Blaze and Daybreak aren't all that good.
The meowmere is alright, but it can be difficult to use. also, what's said "second most popular weapon"? The Flower of Fire?
Magic: The Nebula Blaze is nothing like the Spectre Staff. Assuming they're the same weapon just because of the homing ability is lame. Nebula Arcanum sucks anyway. You said it right: Death ray. What would you want from the highest DPS in the game? Lunar Flare is your "I'm too lazy to charge the prism" weapon.
The main gimmick of the Spectre Staff is homing. It's turd at everything else. So calling a weapon that uses another weapon's unique gimmick is kind of correct when it comes down to it.
Nebula Arcanum needs a buff.
The death ray eats mana and takes a long-:red: time to charge, and you need to constantly have a high-level mana input on hand, which either limits inventory space, mobility or the weapon to an invasion-destroyer.
And the lunar flare is great.
Summoner: Stardust Dragon is unique. Try telling that to the SDMG. All minions are swarms and the turrets sucks aswell.
I know all minions are swarms 'cept the Stardust Dragon. I never said it wasn't unique.

Ranged: Ok, let's see. You were complaining that every single non-ranger end-game weapon was just an upgraded version of X, and the ranger weapons are unique?
Alright, how about this:
An upgraded Chain Gun (with added rockets), a side-grade to the Tsunami, a crappy rocket launcher and an upgraded Megashark.
Better?
I don't think very many of the end-game weapons really have much unique about them.
Let's see...
Last Prism: It's a charging death ray. That's new to Terraria.
Stardust Dragon: It's a minion that destroys all.
Alright, that's all I can think of. The rest are just upgrades with some kind of interesting twist.

Do I like the endgame Ranger? Absolutely. I think the Ranger class is the strongest, followed very closely by the Mage class, and the Melee and Summoner classes are a distant 3rd/4th. The SDMG and vortex armor with it's stealth boost (with almost 0 loss in movement) are *exactly* what I was hoping for in 1.3, and the luminite bullets seal the deal against invasions and events. I also prefer the vortex booster over any other pair of wings, since I like the option of extremely fast horizontal speed and acceleration. Finally, I like using a Snowman cannon to bulldoze my way through the ground at a fast rate when I go to alternate worlds to farm. I have no need of any other weapons to dominate everything in the endgame.

I'm a little puzzled by some of the arguments about the supposed lack of variety in the ranger endgame weapons. We're talking about a class that actually strives to attain a weapon that is as accurate as possible, as damaging as possible, and as fast shooting as possible. Why would we want any unnecessary "tricks" for the sake of variety when we can melt almost every boss in seconds with the SDMG and Crystal Bullets? If one desires variety one should try the other classes. The Ranger class has already achieved perfection.

Last edited:
I think endgame ranger is cool, but there are a few things that could make it more interesting.

Armor:
The armor could get a second ability: a force field. It is effective while the player is not in stealth mode. It reflects projectiles back at enemies for 3 seconds after getting hit by one. It regenerates after 8-10 seconds.
The stealth mode would also be buffed. While in stealth mode the player has a chance of dodging attacks, similarly to the ninja belt's/ninja gear's effect, and it would stack with it too.

Luminite Rocket: These are crafted at the ancient manipulator just like luminite bullets and arrows. Two luminite is used to make 333 rockets. Luminite rockets do more damage than rocket IIIs and releases bouncing shrapnel that does 1/3 the normal damage.

Bazooka: Instead of the celebration, the Moonlord would drop the bazooka. This item is similar to the snowman cannon as it fires homing rockets. It fires at a slower rate, perhaps about half the speed but it does much more damage per shot. It also increases the explosion size of all rockets. This weapon is complimented by luminite rockets.

Do I like the endgame Ranger? Absolutely. I think the Ranger class is the strongest, followed very closely by the Mage class, and the Melee and Summoner classes are a distant 3rd/4th. The SDMG and vortex armor with it's stealth boost (with almost 0 loss in movement) are *exactly* what I was hoping for in 1.3, and the luminite bullets seal the deal against invasions and events. I also prefer the vortex booster over any other pair of wings, since I like the option of extremely fast horizontal speed and acceleration. Finally, I like using a Snowman cannon to bulldoze my way through the ground at a fast rate when I go to alternate worlds to farm. I have no need of any other weapons to dominate everything in the endgame.

I'm a little puzzled by some of the arguments about the supposed lack of variety in the ranger endgame weapons. We're talking about a class that actually strives to attain a weapon that is as accurate as possible, as damaging as possible, and as fast shooting as possible. Why would we want any unnecessary "tricks" for the sake of variety when we can melt almost every boss in seconds with the SDMG and Crystal Bullets? If one desires variety one should try the other classes. The Ranger class has already achieved perfection.

you do suffer a huge drawback on speed. (mainly on acceleration)
may i suggest building an asphalt bridge? your speed will be nearly cut in half.
and you perfectly stated the main complaint about the ranged weapons,
the SDMG. it's all you need. it overshadows every other ranged weapon unless you intentionally want to play with a certain handicap.
while i do agree with certain points stated earlier, (like buffing the nebula arcanum)
it's kind of stupid to have to stick with a weapon that barely requires any effort to aim at all.
the only other choice we have is a rediculous weapon nobody takes into consideration. (celebration)
the armour's repetetive mechanics were kind of dissapointing. we get stealth mode once more.
while (like i said earlier) this feels like how the shroomite armour should have worked all along.
melee and magic both get different roles ; tank, dps and healer, dps and support.
while i do agree about melee and magic needing a bit of a buff (the fact that mages need to pick up their temporary buffs is weird)
we just get one role to fulfill, dps. with only one weapon in our arsenal to do so, the SDMG. which happens to have the lamest mechanics of all.
it kind of takes the fun away of being a ranger.

you do suffer a huge drawback on speed. (mainly on acceleration)

Huge drawback? I think the "drawback" is largely exaggerated - the only thing that's slighly affected is the horizontal start-up acceleration in air (and I do mean slightly), but vertical acceleration and top speeds are not affected. In other words, you're still highly mobile in stealth. Furthermore, the other classes don't even have the same sort of horizontal acceleration unless they "cheat" and use the Ranger's Vortex Booster.

and you perfectly stated the main complaint about the ranged weapons, the SDMG. it's all you need. it overshadows every other ranged weapon unless you intentionally want to play with a certain handicap.

But that's just the nature of a Ranger class. The Ranger is not about having a variety of weapons that fulfill different roles, because almost every ranger weapon is a gun that differs in damage, accuracy, and shot speed but otherwise does the same thing - shoot projectiles. The SDMG is just a final weapon that excels in all 3 categories. The variety instead comes in the form of bullets - we have debuffing, homing, piercing, and single-target high DPS bullets.

melee and magic both get different roles ; tank, dps and healer, dps and support.
while i do agree about melee and magic needing a bit of a buff (the fact that mages need to pick up their temporary buffs is weird)
we just get one role to fulfill, dps.

But this isn't a multiplayer RPG where you need a tank to pull aggro or a healer for the party. Mobs and bosses die so quickly when using the SDMG (even in expert mode) that there's no real need to tank or have healing set-ups. Desiring such roles for the ranger is essentially equivalent to desiring a nerf to the SDMG to create a need for such roles.

It's kind of amusing that when the Phantasm was nerfed many players felt that the Ranger was too weak compared to the other classes, and yet here we have complaints that basically boil down to the SDMG being just too powerful and supposedly killing variety ;).

Huge drawback? I think the "drawback" is largely exaggerated - the only thing that's slighly affected is the horizontal start-up acceleration in air (and I do mean slightly), but vertical acceleration and top speeds are not affected. In other words, you're still highly mobile in stealth. Furthermore, the other classes don't even have the same sort of horizontal acceleration unless they "cheat" and use the Ranger's Vortex Booster.

But that's just the nature of a Ranger class. The Ranger is not about having a variety of weapons that fulfill different roles, because almost every ranger weapon is a gun that differs in damage, accuracy, and shot speed but otherwise does the same thing - shoot projectiles. The SDMG is just a final weapon that excels in all 3 categories. The variety instead comes in the form of bullets - we have debuffing, homing, piercing, and single-target high DPS bullets.

But this isn't a multiplayer RPG where you need a tank to pull aggro or a healer for the party. Mobs and bosses die so quickly when using the SDMG (even in expert mode) that there's no real need to tank or have healing set-ups. Desiring such roles for the ranger is essentially equivalent to desiring a nerf to the SDMG to create a need for such roles.

It's kind of amusing that when the Phantasm was nerfed many players felt that the Ranger was too weak compared to the other classes, and yet here we have complaints that basically boil down to the SDMG being just too powerful and supposedly killing variety ;).

i agree with most of your points here.
however, i didn't say rangers were underpowered.
in fact, i do see that we are overpowered in some degree.
that's one of the reasons why i wanted a different set effect.
our damage outputs are so high we don't have to move in most cases.
and by saying drawback i wasn't referring in combat performance.
what i meant to say was that it's annoying during very specific situations (such as running on an asphalt skybridge while in combat or getting double hit by incoming lasers or other projectiles)
i now feel obligated to use a dash item in order to dodge more frequently and effectively.
the phantasm nerf was necessary, absolutely lol.
there's just little to no strategy nor combat plan invloved into being a ranger as of now.
you just obliterate anything on your path. which is kind of dissapointing. and yes, i'm playing on expert mode.

Ok I haven't read all the comments thoroughly but dammit people the phantasm is just fine! Even with normal arrows and not counting the extra 'phantom arrows' it still does more damage than the SDMG with normal bullets. If you were to use luminite arrows and include the damage of the 'phantom arrows' its dps would be well over 2k.

there's just little to no strategy nor combat plan invloved into being a ranger as of now.
you just obliterate anything on your path. which is kind of dissapointing. and yes, i'm playing on expert mode.

Is this supposed to be unique to SDMG? Last I checked, every damage type at Lunar tier obliterates everything in their path.

Prism murders everything, Meowmire murders everything, Terrarian murders everything, Stardust Dragon murders everything.. You're at the absolute endgame equipment tier. Of course things are going to die once you're a demigod, it's just how games work. You don't call the Megashark "overpowered" because it lets you easily kill Eye of Cthulhu, so why should SDMG be considered "overpowered" for making short work of everything before it? Do you think Moon Man was repeatedly buffed to be harder to kill for no reason? All of its drops (except maybe Celebration, which is just a for funzies thing anyway) are meant to be top of the line and something you're supposed to work towards so you can shred things earlier in the game with them at your leisure.

The only difference for SDMG compared to everything else is that it's efficient with no bells and whistles. You aim, you click, it just kills, end of.
No fancy light shows, no rainbow cats, no huge dragons. It just kills. In the middle of everything else, I appreciate that far more than giving it a tracking laser blast or something.

I think at some point in typing this I lost my initial point in a wall of garbage thoughts. I apologize for that. I hope it's still relatively clear what I was intending to convey.

Performance doesn't always completely control people's preferences (unless it is blatantly over-powered). While I agree that the Ranger, in terms of capability, are on perfect grounds, how they achieve that aesthetically hasn't improved that much in comparison to the other classes over the 1.3 update. Phantasm I believe is the only weapon that improves how people look at the class in that manner.

The S.D.M.G, with the tier it is at, is supposedly meant to be a signature weapon of the class. And yet, it literally is just a better Minishark. When people reach further tiers into the game, they expect a greater scale of weaponry. Which is not what the S.D.M.G achieves; we already have that kind of stuff straight after smashing your first orb/heart (getting the Gun merchant and buying the Minishark). There are concepts out there to broaden out the class, particularly if you take what firearms we have in real life and incorporate them into Terraria.

Take the M134 Minigun as an example. 2000-6000 bullets a minute, yet very difficult to wield and use by a single individual unsupported by vehicles or tri-pods. Historically, in terms of gaming, it also requires a charge up. So, you can make a proper Minigun in Terraria that is an absolute powerhouse with damage and speed, but causes the slow debuff while using it and requires charge-up time to reach its pinnacle (we have the Laser Machinegun/Blaster cannon, so it can be done and allegedly it's simple to make debuffs happen in that way). So, you have a weapon with almighty DPS, but at a severe cost of mobility and alpha damage.

But that's just the nature of a Ranger class. The Ranger is not about having a variety of weapons that fulfill different roles

A little odd, as you say very soon after:

The variety instead comes in the form of bullets - we have debuffing, homing, piercing, and single-target high DPS bullets.

It's a bit of a shame that there weren't much additions with ammunition, especially in the rocket and arrow department. There are the new range of dart weaponry and their unique effects, but that range seems to quickly get rejected after the mechanical bosses, right after the point it would be at its most interesting.

But also, I find it a bit odd that you think it's the Ranger's nature to not have variety, just because they supposedly don't have as much in comparison. While it usually aims to achieve straight-out DPS, that can be achieved in many different ways. Your words would have much more validity if the rocket sub-class did not exist.

It's not just the Ranger that doesn't need a variety of weapons out in combat, either. For example, I can stick with a Water Bolt or Space Gun for Pre-HM mages, Golden Shower or the Crystal staff later. And then, end-game ish, it's not like you have to use other weapons if you stick to a Razorpine. I can stick with things like the Paladin Hammer alone for Melee, too. And, well, Summoning is in an odd position where it usually comes down to using the same minion for whatever your maximum count is.

It's also not like the Ranger remains simple throughout the stages of the game. You start off with simple bows, then move on to bullet weaponry, then move on to explore different variations of bullet weaponry (Minishark rapid-fire, Phoenix Blaster trigger-discipline, Musket slow but powerful, Boomstick for multi-shot) as well as bows that act a little odd (Hellwing bow, Bee's Knees). Not to mention that available ammunition transforms your capabilities a lot the instance you enter hard-mode. Trouble with lack of bullet knock-back? Well, now you can wreck with explosive bullets (usually the first thing I get entering HM). And, of course, we eventually reach the Rocket sub-class. Things like the Grenade launcher and Proximity mine launcher are often overlooked, because of the lack of need for hiding from your targets at that stage, but it's still something different.

To clarify, I think Ranger's variation is in a good spot. Lacking a little in end-game, with the main offender being the S.D.M.G, and there is potential to add much more (with the example above).

A little odd, as you say very soon after:

Why is that odd? There's not much gun variety, but there is variety in bullets and the strategies they allow for. What I said was in response to the claim that the SDMG kills variety, which, based on the variety that bullets offer, is not an accurate statement.

But also, I find it a bit odd that you think it's the Ranger's nature to not have variety, just because they supposedly don't have as much in comparison. While it usually aims to achieve straight-out DPS, that can be achieved in many different ways. Your words would have much more validity if the rocket sub-class did not exist.

The rocket sub class is really no different than any other gun that either uses piercing bullets or explosive/crystal bullets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom