Why the Summoner class is terrible

@General Milky
Yes, well, unbonused melee, ranged, and magic weapons are a whole lot crappier when used by summoners, which is why I usually stick to Flasks of Ichor and weapons like Scourge of the Corruptor when playing summoner, greatly increasing minion damage versus affected enemies.

Your argument is that summoners can't ever qualify as a "pure" archetype because their primary, spammable weapon inevitably deals some type of damage other than minion damage. In the end, this is purely an issue of semantics. There could easily be primary minion-type damaging weapons in the game, but I suspect Re-Logic haven't bothered because the base damage would be quite low, such that they'd deal similar damage to an unbonused melee or ranged weapon anyway, even after +minion damage bonuses are taken into consideration. Better to leave a wider variety of choices to choose from. The end result is that summoners' spammable personal weapons deal fairly low damage.

Also, it's certainly viable for a summoner to spend a lot of time moving his turrets from place to place rather than hanging out in one place, and those staves could certainly be viewed as primary weapons. Such a style of play could be considered "pure" summoner.

Which aren't even its tier level. How well does it rip through the Moon Lord, or even pillar enemies? Not too amazingly (though not badly), especially if there are a lot of them. And they're all headed straight at you.

My pure summoner can complete the whole Lunar Event within 13 minutes. And Moon Lord dies in less than one minutes. I don't know how good is stardust dragon in hand of a melee character, though.

@General Milky
Yes, well, unbonused melee, ranged, and magic weapons are a whole lot crappier when used by summoners, which is why I usually stick to Flasks of Ichor and weapons like Scourge of the Corruptor when playing summoner, greatly increasing minion damage versus affected enemies.

Your argument is that summoners can't ever qualify as a "pure" archetype because their primary, spammable weapon inevitably deals some type of damage other than minion damage. In the end, this is purely an issue of semantics. There could easily be primary minion-type damaging weapons in the game, but I suspect Re-Logic haven't bothered because the base damage would be quite low, such that they'd deal similar damage to an unbonused melee or ranged weapon anyway, even after +minion damage bonuses are taken into consideration. Better to leave a wider variety of choices to choose from. The end result is that summoners' spammable personal weapons deal fairly low damage.

Also, it's certainly viable for a summoner to spend a lot of time moving his turrets from place to place rather than hanging out in one place, and those staves could certainly be viewed as primary weapons. Such a style of play could be considered "pure" summoner.

Let me reiterate in a way that lays it all out as clear as I can.

We got two players. Melee McMan and Summon Somerset. Melee McMan has a terrablade, and he's just beaten Plantera. A pygmy staff dropped, so of course, he now has his very own spear guy. But wait, he also had a frost key! Time to go to the dungeon and bag him a frost hydra! Let's analyze what he has now. A sword that does 100+ damage. Close to 150 on beam hit, respectable enough to beat the boss very easily within his profession. But now he has two usable summon minions to help him! They do about 20 and 80 damage, respectably, and not very fast. His actual DPS doesn't increase much. During the confrontation of Golem, not much of a difference will even be made. The Solar Eclipse that happens in two days will also be too much for his buddies to handle. He still very much has to do it himself. Not much truly changes, he gets a minor power boost. He does not need them.

Now, let's look at Summon Somerset. He has tiki armor now and a full set of 6 or so pygmies, they are doing about 40 damage or so and he's just got his frost hydra that does a respectable 120 damage. Whatever his minions target take pretty significant damage, but not really enough to, say, kill a boss super fast. During the eclipse, things will die but only one at a time. Even flying around pointlessly resummoning his tower, he can't compete. He seems garbage. Maybe he goes and makes a thread about it on TCF.

But then you give him a megashark, or a rainbow rod, hell even a Flower Pow and suddenly he starts doing much better. He's now a toned down other class, who has a good number of summons doing constant, safe, free damage that will hold their own extremely well and support the summoner who is using a subweapon. The system works, because the only thing a summoner needs to be a summoner is a focus on minions to assist them. Assist. Not carry. The summoner themselves are deliberately SUPPOSED to use other resources. The reason why is because they CAN. The reason they seem underpowered is because people try to stick 100% to summon damage. This is gimping them, because in speccing summoner you are not locking out the use of other weapons. If Summoner WAS balanced around being able to solo the whole game using minions and towers, and ONLY minions and towers, they become TOO STRONG when you add other types of DPS on top.

The reason this doesn't apply to other classes is because when Melee Mcgee uses a gun, he's not just ADDING to his strength. He's GIVING UP his ability to swing his sword to use a weapon that's inferior to it on his build. Summons don't have this limitation, using someone else's weapon works in tandem with their specialization, they serve only to gain.

I understand quite clearly, but the ability of other classes to use three minions (discounting the turrets, for the sake of argument) without sacrificing any of their archetypal performance is a situation cut from the same cloth. While it's true that three minions don't provide nearly the same boost to melee or ranged as a melee or ranged weapon provides to a summoner, it's still a noticeable boost, and therefore a matter of degrees. The principle remains the same.

Is that really worth seeing? Everyone could beat ML using lava exploit. Personally I prefer the pillar part of my vid.
Yeah I dunno why I wasn't expecting you to use the damage-tick trick. That doesn't make the Summoner Class amazing, it makes BUILDERS amazing. lol

I think we might be arguing two different things, then. The ultimate point I'm making is summons aren't garbage unless you intentionally limit yourself, and pointing out why minions who do more than damage would end up overpowering everyone else. The semantics of who can use what to what degree I don't care about; I just want it known that a summon toy to counter their low survivability would make the guy who ALREADY HAS SURVIVABILITY even happier, and why summoners need that exact same mindset to compete. Jack of all trades with unique bonuses, that's what the class is. "Pure Summon" is a player created rule that makes it seem bad.

Jack of all trades with unique bonuses, that's what the class is. "Pure Summon" is a player created rule that makes it seem bad.
Very much this. Or at least, this is how I prefer to play it.

This is the fun thing about being a Summoner. There is no agonizing over what kind of weapon you should be using to get the most out of your class. Summon some minions, then use whatever the hell you want.

Vortex Beater with Chlorophyte Ammo? Go for it!

Solar Eruption? You bet!

Nebula Arcanum? Why not!?

Zombie Arm? You're just :red:in' around now, aren't you? Hell, I don't care! Do it if that's what floats your engine!

By the same logic, "pure anything" is a player-created rule, unless you really want to split hairs.

The ultimate motive in claiming that summoner is a jack-of-all-trades hybrid archetype is to refute the OP's assertion that summoner is a poor archetype. I personally believe that it is the weakest of all archetypes, regardless of whether or not you choose to define it as hybrid or pure, or refuse to recognize archetypes at all.

It is a fact that you can fill your armor and accessory slots with summoner-specific armor and accessories and use several minion-specific weapons, just as is the case with the other archetypes, or whatever you choose to call them. Whether you're playing 20% summoner, 40% summoner, 60% summoner, or 90%+ summoner, in my experience the archetype is viable but is worse in many categories than any single one of the others, for reasons I enumerated earlier. This is regardless of the non-minion weapon(s) you choose to use to supplement your summoning activities.

Summoner is viable and I have beaten Expert pillars and Expert Moon Lord with it non-cheese style (though in the latter case, only with the help of a friend), but I feel quite strongly that in the end I would have been much better off with a "pure" mage wielding Lunar Flare or a "pure" ranger using the S.D.M.G.

Yeah I dunno why I wasn't expecting you to use the damage-tick trick. That doesn't make the Summoner Class amazing, it makes BUILDERS amazing. lol

Ok then, another video. Moon Lord down in 35 seconds. Simply stand still and watch Stardust Dragon tore ML apart. Totally legit.

Edit: vid removed due to ultra-poor quality

Edit: a clearer version.

Last edited:
Maybe he goes and makes a thread about it on TCF.
I'm hoping this doesn't apply to me, since people are missing the whole point of this thread entirely - I never said Summoner is a bad class statwise. I don't necessarily think Summoner is bad in terms of stats or such, but rather in terms of interesting mechanics. My loaded title seems to be weighing me down.

I think we might be arguing two different things, then. The ultimate point I'm making is summons aren't garbage unless you intentionally limit yourself, and pointing out why minions who do more than damage would end up overpowering everyone else. The semantics of who can use what to what degree I don't care about; I just want it known that a summon toy to counter their low survivability would make the guy who ALREADY HAS SURVIVABILITY even happier, and why summoners need that exact same mindset to compete. Jack of all trades with unique bonuses, that's what the class is. "Pure Summon" is a player created rule that makes it seem bad.
I feel that the Summoner is mostly crippled by low defense rather than "pureness."
When I use Tiki Armor I have to dance in and out of the range in which I can even use any other weapons effectively, which is rarely an option in a boss battle.

Thinking about my experiences with it, it's not too bad, but I very frequently find myself incredibly tempted to use some other armor, despite my high appreciation for a personal army.

I play summoner, it's my main class. (actually, I play thrower/ninja pre-hard and then switch in hardmode)

The thing is, summoner is a brain class, you need to figure out what works and what doesn't.

One thing that does work is playing defensively.... you have an immortal army, let it do the work! Stay away from enemies and let them do the main work while using things that can keep you alive and/or deal damage.

Personal must-haves for summoners are the bladed glove/arkhalis/fetid baghnakhs/psycho knife. The former 3 act as a shield that can completely stop ANY destructible projectile from hitting you, the later allows you to stealth-away from most enemies while the minions do the work.
As a secondary, you should always have a Golden Shower with you to debuff entire enemy groups to hell with mere mana, rather than difficultly crafted ammo, while your minions tear them appart.
The Sniper rifle works extremely well for summoners, since it has great range, extreme base damage and consumes very little ammo while the minions keep away most enemies in the immediate vicinity.
Depending on whether there is need for crowd control or boss damage, the Daedalus Stormbow and Phantasm work wonders with an infinite quiver. (although I prefer using machine guns with an infinite musket pouch)
Also, the Worm-scarf gets really good use with a summoner.

Early pre-hard, get some wood, make a cabin, get some rope and dig to cavern layer. The chainknive from the cave bat is a descent first weapon. That done, contain the spread if you want and search horizontally for enchanted sword shrines. In a medium or Large world, you should get at least the enchanted sword this way, although creating additional worlds to find an arkhalis is well worth the effort. Farm wood, build weapon racks and sell them until you have 35G to buy the 'Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole' from the traveling merchant.
Farm bait and fish in the ocean until you get a Reaver Shark.
Dig all the way to Hell and craft Molten Armor and an Imp Staff from Hellstone bars, then go back to hell and farm Demons until you get the Demon Scythe spell, which has piercing.
(optional: Build an orbital shield to protect the world from meteorites)
A: Break Shadow orbs or Crimson hearts until you have enough Meteorite to craft a full set of Meteorite armor and a Space Gun
B: Find Beehive and farm Queen Bee for a Bee Gun (P.S.: it that a pun on 'be gone!'?) and enough Bee Wax to craft a full set of Bee Armour
Finish Pre-hardmode

Hardmode:
Go to a Corrupt world and fish in the corruption for the Toxicarp, then craft a full set of Spider armor,a spider Staff and a Spider Queen staff and finally craft the Golden Shower in a Crimson World.
Look for the Wizard NPC and craft an infinite Quiver and infinite Musket Pouch.
A: Get The Daedalus Stormbow from a Hallowed Mimic.
(Optional: Craft a descent amount of Cursed or Holy arrows)
B: Get 35G, if you don't already have it by either the former method or buying Confetti and empty bullets and selling the party bullets, then buy a Gatligator from the Traveling Merchant.
(Optional: Craft a descent amount of Crystal Bullets)
Take out the Destroyer.
(Optional: Craft Megashark to replace Gatligator)
Take out The Twins and Skeletron Prime
A: Craft Pickaxe Axe
B: Craft Drax
Take out Plantera.
Buy Tiki Armor from Witch Doctor.
Craft Schroomite digging Claws (Replaces both Pickaxe Axe/Drax And Arkhalis)
Retrieve Staff of the Frost Hydra, Vampire knives and the Sniper Rifle (from Skeleton Snipers in the Slab-walled area) from the Dungeon.
Get Psycho Knife from Psycho during Eclipse.
Take out Golem, Duke Fishron, Ice Queen, martian madness(Optional: farm the first for a Picksaw, the second for Tsunami and cute fishron, the third for a Godly or Rapid Chain Gun and the last one for a Laser Drill, Cosmic Car Key and Xeno Staff)
Beat Lunar Cultists so they spawn the Lunar Pilars. (Nimbus Rod makes short work of the pilars, if you got one)
Destroy Vortex Pilar and craft Phantasm.
Destroy Stardust Pilar and craft either the Stardust Cell or Stardust Dragon staff (it's a matter of preference, I prefer the Stardust Dragon)
Destroy Solar Pilar and craft either Solar Eruption or Daybreak (The former pairs better with the Stardust Dragon the later pairs better with the Stardust Cells.)
Beat Moonlord
Craft Stardust Armour
Farm Moonlord for Lunar Portal Staff, Rainbow Crystal Staff, S.D.M.G., Last Prism and Terrarian

Congratulations, you're endgame-summoner... enjoy your private army.

I see summoner as a baby, and all the other classes as adults that enjoy to kick it.

One day, summoner will grow up and will be a decent, playable class. I just hope the summoner gets a wider variety of things to choose from, different sets of armor and :red:.

It may be able to do the highest DPS to a single target, but it's a pain to get to that stage.

By the same logic, "pure anything" is a player-created rule, unless you really want to split hairs.

The ultimate motive in claiming that summoner is a jack-of-all-trades hybrid archetype is to refute the OP's assertion that summoner is a poor archetype. I personally believe that it is the weakest of all archetypes, regardless of whether or not you choose to define it as hybrid or pure, or refuse to recognize archetypes at all.

It is a fact that you can fill your armor and accessory slots with summoner-specific armor and accessories and use several minion-specific weapons, just as is the case with the other archetypes, or whatever you choose to call them. Whether you're playing 20% summoner, 40% summoner, 60% summoner, or 90%+ summoner, in my experience the archetype is viable but is worse in many categories than any single one of the others, for reasons I enumerated earlier. This is regardless of the non-minion weapon(s) you choose to use to supplement your summoning activities.

Summoner is viable and I have beaten Expert pillars and Expert Moon Lord with it non-cheese style (though in the latter case, only with the help of a friend), but I feel quite strongly that in the end I would have been much better off with a "pure" mage wielding Lunar Flare or a "pure" ranger using the S.D.M.G.

It's not though, for a few very simple reasons:
1. Melee Damage, Ranged Damage and Magic Damage can be inflicted by the player, Minion damage can not, thus causing multiclassing unless the player just stands around and does nothing, by default.
2. Summoner weapons are ALL fire & Forget, whether it's minions or sentries, thus leaving the main character with room to support them anyway he sees fit.

Sorry I'm late. I'm not gonna lie, I honestly think this is the best post I've ever seen on these forums. Might be because of my bias for Summoners, but still.

As a Summoner main, I sometimes find it borderline annoying having to deal with the people who give me crud just for enjoying the class I play. I can understand that everyone has opinions, just like how I think the Warrior is too invincible, the Ranger is too one-dimensional and the Mage is too powerful.
I think one of the reasons I like the Summoner so much is because, on my 1.1 character, I use multiple types of weapons that don't always synergize well with my Hallowed armor. I liked being a supersoldier that could use anything effectively. My Summoner not only has a plethora of cute little friends, but also the freedom of choice for whatever weapon I want. I don't feel limited because I really am a jack of all trades, with the effects of my weapons complimenting the superb work of the minions.

As the quoted post stated, the reason people think the Summoner is bad and has low DPS is because apparently it's popular opinion that Summoners should not use any weapons besides their minions. And that the Summoner would be overpowered if it was totally viable on its own throughout all stages of the game, since it would still be able to use other weapons to increase their DPS even further than other classes. The OP has stated that he wanted more ways for minions to be more useful and interesting, and not just straight damage upgrades. While I am not against that, that's the point of being able to use weapons freely. Weapons like the Golden Shower and Daybreak are up to your choice to use for their special effects, like Ichor helping the supposedly bland minions do much more damage, or Nanites keeping enemies away so your minions don't always have to stay right next to you to keep you out of trouble; if minions could do things like that on their own, they might just be a little broken (although Scarecrow's idea of support minions is rather flawless).

To put this in perspective, take a look at our adorable little Stardust Cells, which are often overshadowed by the Stardust Dragon. They have great use in attacking both bosses and hordes of enemies; not just because of their DoT, but because of the added effect of firing their own shots at whatever enemy you're striking, without interrupting their current fire rate. Try it by summoning the Cells and hitting a Target Dummy, which they would never attack otherwise. These minions were designed for teamwork; encouraging people to use weapons that benefit this playstyle, rather than relying on minions for everything.

I feel like people think the Summoner is for those who can't aim, or are too lazy to attack. Although the former reason is completely true to me, I think the Summoner is for those who want a little more freedom in how they play. I'm not saying that other classes should purely stick to their own weapons either; I have a sword on my Rangers in case I'm out of ammo, for example.

I hear that there's no point to attacking since your damage is nothing compared to your minions. But some people don't realize that your own damage is a pretty crucial part of your total DPS as well as your survivability. You're just sacrificing some of your would-be power for an army of little cuties. With the minions' power combined with your own, you are able to kill many things very quickly, rivaling the power of the other classes.

Some people may think the Summoner is easy and requires no skill, but there's really a lot more to it than meets the eye. The Summoner is not merely a game of dodge-everything; that's only when you decide to let your minions do everything and not bothering to help them. Why dodge an enemy when you can punch it out of the way with the Golem Fist, or outright kill it instantly with an Influx Waver? You won't need to dodge so much if you help your minions clear out enemies swiftly; this applies for every class. I'm not gonna mention bosses, because bosses are bosses; you're supposed to learn how to evade them regardless of the class you're playing. When we look at the current weakest class, the Thrower, you will learn that it's important to keep your distance, aim properly, and evade many attacks since Fossil armor's defense is only 12. Much of the Thrower's DPS is caused by either Bone Javelins' DoT, or the swarm of bees from the Beenades. Because the DoT is slow, and the bees pierce which give enemies brief invulnerability, your damage isn't extraordinary. This basically requires you to survive by dodging a lot while your in-play throwing weapons are doing the work. It's basically the same case with the 'pure-Summoner.' Your damage isn't great and you have to outlast the enemy; you won't outlast unless you dodge. But if you make an effort to use good weapons with a good setup to compliment both you and your minions, you will truly shine. That's how it was designed.

I feel like I wrote too much, but I hope this sorta clears up a lot of the misconceptions about the Summoner that I've been hearing for the past year or so.

I should take the moment to clarify that I don't hate the player; it's actually my favorite class from a design perspective. I've always wanted a more autonomous way to play in which I can focus on dodging, and I love that. The problem here is that, at the moment, it's just too linear.

So +1 for effort, -1 for execution, summoner.

The thing that Summoner needs is non-summoning items that compliment the minions. Such a thing already exists and this is the bee tier.

I'm currently doing a solo summoner play through (currently in early hardmode) and so far I've had the most fun with the bee tier. You get the bee armor which increases the amount of minions which allows you to have 3 hornets out at all times. The other bee weapons compliment it as well. It gets a melee, ranged and magic weapon (throwing too if you count that). The small bees that come out of these weapons really help out the hornets do more damage.

After this there is nothing like it again. The spider set gets a magic weapon and that's about it. There should be a spider themed ranged and melee weapon as well. I also think frost armor should be made to be a summoner armor as it now requires hallowed bars to make.

After Plantera there isn't much of a need for it. Especially with the special dungeon chest items. All of those tend to go nicely with the summoner. But even those weapons get outmoded eventually.
I was thinking the same thing, that's how I came up with my own sub-class I like to call swarm class. It basically combines summom with some aspects of magic and ranged. Basically and magic weapons good at crowd control like the bee gun and fast ranged weapons Ike the clockwork assault rifle fits in to it, along with summon staffs.

Back
Top Bottom