Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No, birds are better.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No opinion/Wall of Text.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

It's a me!

Pixel Pirate
Hello everyone, It's a me! here again. Today I present you something I've been thinking about recently: trap receivers.
These are simple blocks that work like levers, switches or pressure plates, but are activated by dart traps (and super dart traps too).
Here's a sprite:
Trap Receiver.png

How are they placed? Look here:
Super_Dart_Trap.png
->
Trap Receiver.png

Just place it in front of the trap, and when an arrow hits it, it sends a wire signal. It's as simple as that.

How do we obtain them?
I'm thinking about having the Mechanic selling them. I think a restriction for obtaining them, like entering Hardmode, is not needed.
If it is crafted, a possible recipe is 1 Stone Slab, 1 Wire and 1 Pressure Plate. Another possible recipe is 1 of the corresponding Traps and an Actuator (the only problem of this one is that you need to use one trap).

How is this useful?
This is useful in many ways:
  1. Wireless wiring (although it may take a while and does not work with teleporters);
  2. Delays (for sequences, and the delay can be changed just by increasing/decreasing the distance between the traps and the receivers);
  3. Wire colour changer (if you are using red wire, but you need to change to green for convenience, just place them very close to each other).
As you can see, this is able to destroy some limitations we have regarding wires. There could also be a variant that let's arrows go through it, which could possibly be a replacing to long hallways full of pressure plates and birds.

Other Detectors:
Go-through Receiver.png
- Go-through Receiver: this one allows the arrows from traps to go through it, so you can have some of these in succession instead of pressure plate hallways and birds (Crafted with 1 Trap Receiver at a Heavy Workbench. Can be crafted back to 1 Trap Receiver).
Heat Detector.png
- Heat detector: this block sends a wire signal when fire is sprayed over it (from flame traps and maybe flathrowers too) (Sold by the Mechanic when you have a Flame Trap in your inventory).
Ball Bucket.png
- Ball Bucket: when a spiky ball falls inside it, it sends a wire signal. It is 2 blocks wide because otherwise it would be really dificult to catch the balls (Sold by the Mechanic when you have a Spiky Ball Trap in your inventory).
Universal Detector.png
- Universal Detector: sends wire signals when activated by ANY trap. Spiky balls activate it just by touching it (Crafted with 1 Trap Receiver, 1 Heat Detector, 1 Ball Bucket and 1 Pressure Plate at a Heavy Workbench).
Lihzahrd_Pressure_Plate.png
- Pressure Plate: they would be changed so Spear Traps activate them.
Projectile Detector.png
- Projectile Detector: sends a signal when a player projectile passes through it (sword beams, ammo and magic).

Future Plans:
None ATM.

I hope you enjoyed this suggestion.

seal-of-approval-png.134351

badgeofsirtification-png.125384

Last edited:
Hmmm, this could be useful in certain situations, but it sounds gimmicky at best. If you want that to really work imo, you should just make it so that there's a special switch block that simply activates when fired upon so you can trigger them from a distance with a ranged/magic weapon.

Sounds... VERY impractical but good for adventure maps.
Is it because you might need to make big machines for longer delays?
Hmmm, this could be useful in certain situations, but it sounds gimmicky at best. If you want that to really work imo, you should just make it so that there's a special switch block that simply activates when fired upon so you can trigger them from a distance with a ranged/magic weapon.
Not every player has good aim, and this is designed for automation, so there is no need for players to interact. I can make a block that works like this though.

Could you give a legit example of where this would be used?
For example, wiring various teleporters in a certain sequence. Or, like I said in the OP, changing the wire colour you are currently using (if you are working with a lot, and I mean A LOT, of wires, you might need to change colour for convinience). For that last situation, you can also use one of these to make a wireless part of a circuit, where crossing it would be impossible.

This would work well with adventure maps where circuits and traps come into play. I'd like to have this addition in-game.

Sounds good to me!
About crafting, the receiver could be crafted using the lowest tier of the trap (except for the spear traps) and some actuators. (Because on and off logic, so we will be using in and out logic)

Sounds good to me!
About crafting, the receiver could be crafted using the lowest tier of the trap (except for the spear traps) and some actuators. (Because on and off logic, so we will be using in and out logic)
It's an interesting recipe, I'll add it to the OP.

For example, wiring various teleporters in a certain sequence. Or, like I said in the OP, changing the wire colour you are currently using (if you are working with a lot, and I mean A LOT, of wires, you might need to change colour for convinience). For that last situation, you can also use one of these to make a wireless part of a circuit, where crossing it would be impossible.
You could also use a frequency system that 'activates' blocks with the same frequency. By that I mean, say you have two 'frequency blocks' (FB) and one is connected to a pressure plate and the other is connected to a dart trap. When you assign both FBs the same frequency number, walking on the pressure plate will activate the FB connected to it, and that FB with activate all the other FBs with the same frequency number, consequently causing the dart trap to fire. Removes need for complex wiring all over the place (not to mention making connecting distant teleporters child's play).

I'm not against your idea btw. I just wished Terraria had a wireless system, and yours requires traps and projectiles which sounds like it would be useful in specific situations only.

You could also use a frequency system that 'activates' blocks with the same frequency. By that I mean, say you have two 'frequency blocks' (FB) and one is connected to a pressure plate and the other is connected to a dart trap. When you assign both FBs the same frequency number, walking on the pressure plate will activate the FB connected to it, and that FB with activate all the other FBs with the same frequency number, consequently causing the dart trap to fire. Removes need for complex wiring all over the place (not to mention making connecting distant teleporters child's play).

I'm not against your idea btw. I just wished Terraria had a wireless system, and yours requires traps and projectiles which sounds like it would be useful in specific situations only.
That's a fair point. Also, you should make a thread for that idea.

Back
Top Bottom