• kind of stupid

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • rather stupid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • incredibly stupid

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just a note: If this is in the wrong place, Mods, feel free to move it.

I was browsing the forums today for kicks, and I was reading some really well done stuff, (i.e. alternate biomes), and I wondered if they would ever be added, even if they had/have some dev support. And I thought it would be cool, now that @Redigit is no longer working on Terraria, if a sort of Cuusoo/Lego Ideas (click here to find out what those are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Ideas) took place.

Obviously, we couldn't get 5000 votes of support (I doubt that many people are on the forums enough) but something around 1000 I could believe. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear the answer was no, but at the very least open source version of the game would be nice. Tell me what you think, devs! Just no one rage at me, please. I don't like rages. (Except Dude Perfect 'Rage Monster'. But that's beyond the point).

If I'm breaking a rule of some sort, please tell me and delete the post.

Ciao.

~AngelMiner12

Your post is very unclear to me. Are you suggesting that suggestions should make it into the game without question, if enough people vote for it?
Why should the devs need to feel forced to implement a suggestion just because a number of people voted for it? "Oh, guys, this suggestion has gotten a thousand upvotes. Now we HAVE to implement it, even though I don't like the idea at all/even though I am done developing this game/even though technical limitations prohibit it."

Why would you want Red to give up the source of the game? It's his livelihood and you can already create mods.

This doesn't make sense to me.

I hope you realize you can decompile the exe and see what the game is mostly made of. Sure it's not all, but what you are asking is for open source modding and since mods are already a thing and people are easily modding the game I see no reason for the game to o open source.

Just my two cents.

Your post is very unclear to me. Are you suggesting that suggestions should make it into the game without question, if enough people vote for it?
Why should the devs need to feel forced to implement a suggestion just because a number of people voted for it? "Oh, guys, this suggestion has gotten a thousand upvotes. Now we HAVE to implement it, even though I don't like the idea at all/even though I am done developing this game/even though technical limitations prohibit it."

Why would you want Red to give up the source of the game? It's his livelihood and you can already create mods.

This doesn't make sense to me.

Okay, I'm sorry if I was a little unclear. This idea was a little impulsive. I'm not saying it should go into effect just because, I'm saying it should at least get a serious consideration by the devs.

I don't want Red to give up the source of the game. He's already moved on, currently working on T:OW and Terraria 2. And mods are hard to create (and don't say that they are, because I've tried my hand at coding, and I found it tedious and difficult). I would also like to point out that the people who want to run mods and have Steam (like myself) have no option to do so. Not to mention that mods are:
A. not usually made incredibly well. May I cite Minecraft as reference?
B. Not well represented in the community. The mods are out there, but it's not ever mentioned by the developers, which makes it feel a little... I don't know... illegitimate (which it is, I suppose). True, mods make the game limitless. But that's not fun!

I hope you realize you can decompile the exe and see what the game is mostly made of. Sure it's not all, but what you are asking is for open source modding and since mods are already a thing and people are easily modding the game I see no reason for the game to o open source.

Just my two cents.

People who want to use mods can't use the Steam version, as I learned recently. There is no support for the current version.

People who want to use mods can't use the Steam version, as I learned recently. There is no support for the current version.

This is entirely false. I ran mods on my Steam Version. I ran N-Terraria (a Stand-Alone) and Tremor (tModLoader). In fact, I used Game Launcher to launch all three versions of Terraria, yes, from Steam.

All you gotta do is rename Terraria.exe to Terraria_Old.exe and then GameLauncher gets renamed to Terraria.exe and you're good to go. Steam will launch it just fine. BUT, if Terraria gets updated, GameLauncher will get overwritten and you'll need to download it again.

And mods are hard to create (and don't say that they are, because I've tried my hand at coding, and I found it tedious and difficult). I would also like to point out that the people who want to run mods and have Steam (like myself) have no option to do so. Not to mention that mods are:
A. not usually made incredibly well. May I cite Minecraft as reference?
B. Not well represented in the community. The mods are out there, but it's not ever mentioned by the developers, which makes it feel a little... I don't know... illegitimate (which it is, I suppose). True, mods make the game limitless. But that's not fun!
I would like to point out that the a reason mods aren't made very well, well smaller mods with less content, is because some kid thought they could make on to put their gun in the game. Sure it might have worked, but it doesn't look good because they don't know much about coding.

Modding is for those that can mod. If you can't well you can either learn or use other's public mods.

The suggestion system that is currently put into place is the best for what it's needed for. The suggestions that fit in with the game and are judged to be meaningful content are put up for consideration and ultimately added to the game if they're deemed good enough.

This is entirely false. I ran mods on my Steam Version. I ran N-Terraria (a Stand-Alone) and Tremor (tModLoader). In fact, I used Game Launcher to launch all three versions of Terraria, yes, from Steam.

All you gotta do is rename Terraria.exe to Terraria_Old.exe and then GameLauncher gets renamed to Terraria.exe and you're good to go. Steam will launch it just fine. BUT, if Terraria gets updated, GameLauncher will get overwritten and you'll need to download it again.

Okay. Thanks for correcting me! I read it off of the wiki, which probably needs to be updated. It mentioned the biggest two, one of which is outdated and the other only runs mods on the .gog version of terraria.

The suggestion system that is currently put into place is the best for what it's needed for. The suggestions that fit in with the game and are judged to be meaningful content are put up for consideration and ultimately added to the game if they're deemed good enough.

I feel that the judging is a little harsh. And we never get to know if suggestions are given considerable thought. For all we know, the devs could just look at it, say 'cool' and not think about it twice. Perhaps my original idea is not the solution to this, but I would like to see that people are told if their suggestions are given serious thought. Some people out here work really hard, (@Izzabelle, @Snickerbobble, I'm looking at you :happy:) and for all we know they get no acknowledgement from developers.

Some people out here work really hard and for all we know they get no acknowledgement from developers.
You can't really expect developers to spend valuable time browsing through suggestions and commenting on them. That'd take up a lot of their time. They're people with jobs to do and have personal lives.
That said, plenty of things have been implemented in the game thanks to player suggestions, so you can be sure that they are seeing them.

Besides, most developers/publishers don't listen to their player base at all; appreciate what you got. :)

You can't really expect developers to spend valuable time browsing through suggestions and commenting on them. That'd take up a lot of their time. They're people with jobs to do and have personal lives.
That said, plenty of things have been implemented in the game thanks to player suggestions, so you can be sure that they are seeing them.

Besides, most developers/publishers don't listen to their player base at all; appreciate what you got. :)

Fair enough :). I guess they can't be expected to spend a lot of time on here. What you said about player suggestions getting many things into the game may be true, but I've only been on the forums for almost a year, so I haven't seen much added.

Okay. Thanks for correcting me! I read it off of the wiki, which probably needs to be updated. It mentioned the biggest two, one of which is outdated and the other only runs mods on the .gog version of terraria.

I feel that the judging is a little harsh. And we never get to know if suggestions are given considerable thought. For all we know, the devs could just look at it, say 'cool' and not think about it twice. Perhaps my original idea is not the solution to this, but I would like to see that people are told if their suggestions are given serious thought. Some people out here work really hard, (@Izzabelle, @Snickerbobble, I'm looking at you :happy:) and for all we know they get no acknowledgement from developers.

There is a huge difference between a suggestion being good and a suggestion being implementable. In fact, the more effort put in a suggestion, the less implementable it usually gets. Also, keep in mind that an hour's worth of ideas is easily a month's worth of work.

You have to be fair to yourself when making a suggestion: a small quality of life change might get in, a simple accessory is already a whole lot less likely, and if you're working on a biome scope, then you should know it's not getting in.

There is a huge difference between a suggestion being good and a suggestion being implementable. In fact, the more effort put in a suggestion, the less implementable it usually gets. Also, keep in mind that an hour's worth of ideas is easily a month's worth of work.

You have to be fair to yourself when making a suggestion: a small quality of life change might get in, a simple accessory is already a whole lot less likely, and if you're working on a biome scope, then you should know it's not getting in.

That, and there's always mods. If/when Terraria ever gets official modding support that doesn't require APIs (Cenx did say that they would be supportive of such an idea but it is way down the road due to how difficult it would be), such suggestions are probably better off being mods instead of forced upon players.

Even @Izzabelle 's biome suggestions while great/detailed/well-done as they are, I would say are more likely to be added as mods than they are to be included in the base game. But then that's all the more reason why we need to get modding support up and running. But of course, devoting an update for modding probably means a year+ with no updates whatsoever.

I'm sure Re-Logic would probably wait until they have no new ideas and THEN go "OK guys, we're gonna take X time to try and get modding support in." ....they probably aren't going to "halt" new content development in favor of developing mod support if they still have ideas for new content in mind.

But here's hoping that at some point soon they add official mod support. It would be a huge benefit to the game, and would extent its life far beyond what it has now.

Thanks for the shout out :dryadpassionate:

To be fair; I get more recognition and acknowledgement from the devs than I think I deserve [1] [2] (thank you, @Cenx )

Even @Izzabelle 's biome suggestions while great/detailed/well-done as they are, I would say are more likely to be added as mods than they are to be included in the base game.
#FeelsBadMan

pM4OLcI.jpg

I never make a suggestion assuming it will be implemented though. I just do them for fun.

================================

I'm not sure your suggestion would work though. I've worked with some sites that have vote-in type systems like the one your proposing. It can get imbalanced really quickly.

For example. What if @Pedguin decided he wanted to suggest "X" thing. You don't want "X" thing. But Pedquin's influence would stomp out any opposition; he could garner 1000's of votes with absolute ease. And if he opposed an idea, he could easily convince 1000's of votes to oppose with him. I'm not saying Pedguin would do this, but it shows how imbalanced a vote-in system could become. The suggestion's merit would be overshadowed by the person with the most influence. At the end of the day -- the devs would have to be a weighted voice to accept or deny any suggestions. Which is what they do already -- but without the hassle of conflicting a vote-in system.

The current system is a little less transparent but a little more fair I think. Without the certainty of a suggestion being accepted/denied, there's no real validity to using influence to pressure a suggestion's leaning.

================================

Don't get me wrong. It'd be cool to see the devs mark a suggestion publicly as "this will be added". But even in just writing that out, I can't really get my mind around the possible fallouts of doing so. Just from a legal perspective alone, it could turn into sort of a mess. And what if they had to go back on adding a suggestion? They would see pretty significant backlash. That and every community feature they add would be less room/time for a feature the devs want to add. I like to think the devs and the community have exactly the same interests at heart -- but at the end of the day, the devs have to be making the game that they want to make and have fun making it -- or else it becomes more difficult to keep up that passion that makes the game and the community such a success.

I think keeping us in the dark about such things is probably best for everyone. But who knows.

No need to feel bad! Nothing wrong with mods, and adding things into the game using mods.

That is.... once official mod support is a thing, that is. lol. The current way is... not my preferred method of modding a game, I'm not a huge fan of APIs and such. I've used tModLoader before, but I would prefer it if the mod support was official and not needing third-party executable files to do it.

Your biome work is great, and if you ever made a Biome Pack mod or something like that, I'd download it in a flash because I'd love to have extra content in the game, lol.

That's true.

Wow, the effort on that suggestions... You already deserved more than what you get!

Agreed.

Thanks for the shout out :dryadpassionate:

No problem :happy:

This whole thing has expanded beyond my original idea. Frankly, I no longer want a support system like that, as @Izzabelle said, it would become far too unbalanced far too fast. At this point, the only thing I would like to see is that the devs tell us when someone's idea is implemented. I would be satisfied with that. I'm not saying they don't give people due credit, I'm saying that the creator of this idea should be mentioned in a public post.

Personally I would say that wanting to improve something and talking about it is better than appreciating what you already have. If the devs don't like it, then everything is fine, but if the devs like it then we might see improvement.

The above being said not taking into account how good the suggestion actually is, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom