Game Mechanics World Linked Teleportation

Soxious

Terrarian
The idea is in the title, it would be very convenient to be able to set up teleporters that allow travel between worlds, particularly on large worlds where it can take several minutes to travel from one side of the world to the other. It may also be an interesting way to create a set of worlds themed with individual biomes rather than all biomes packed into a single world and have some kind of teleportation hub.

I know it only takes a few seconds to switch out manually, but perhaps you don't want to enter the world at your spawn point, nor change characters. It would also be interesting to use in RPG multiplayer. :dryadindifferent:

Perhaps this idea could even evolve into multiple dimensions in one world or something. Regardless, you need to specify how we get these teleporters, what they look like and such.

Support pending ;)

I'm wondering if it's actually mechanically possible within the confiness of Terraria's engine. I've seen it mentioned that the limits are being reached.

My guess is there would need to be something that links them externally through the games coding, as it's not as simple as hooking up two teleports physically with wire as you would on a normal single world. I would suggest they would be craftable with a couple of new items that would be introduced, and have some sort of in-game interface that allows you to link a second teleporter in a seperate world via some kind of World/ItemID similar to editing names of chests or signposts.

If I had the technical know-how and it's possible I would attempt to make it myself, but I'm more of an artsy person than a code guru.

I can't speak in an official capacity, but I am pretty sure that within the confines of Terraria's engine, multiple worlds like this, particularly in an MP setting, are not possible.

Could the engine be completely overhauled from the ground up and made more robust? Sure. But that would be an extremely time consuming, resource intensive task dedicating to rebuilding a 5 year old game from scratch. That may not be a practical concept.

In terms of single-player worlds, some sort of . . . in-game world switcher could be possible. Perhaps. You could step into it, and it would load you into the next world, saving you the hassle of going to the menu, but that's about it. But in MP, this would be significantly more difficult. Terraria loads the entire world into memory at one time; sure, there are optimizations here and there, but it puts a significant strain on the system already. Now multiply that by the number of worlds currently loaded; the server would have to keep ALL of them active and loaded, constantly updating and processing on a world wide scale.

Is such a thing mechanically possible? Sure. Can Terraria's engine handle it? Probably not. Could Terraria's engine be bolstered to handle it? Possibly, but then you increase the minimum required specs for the game significantly, and in doing so, players who could previously play lose the ability to play.

The idea is in the title, it would be very convenient to be able to set up teleporters that allow travel between worlds, particularly on large worlds where it can take several minutes to travel from one side of the world to the other. It may also be an interesting way to create a set of worlds themed with individual biomes rather than all biomes packed into a single world and have some kind of teleportation hub.

I know it only takes a few seconds to switch out manually, but perhaps you don't want to enter the world at your spawn point, nor change characters. It would also be interesting to use in RPG multiplayer. :dryadindifferent:
I was just coming to this subforum to suggest literally the exact same thing.

Sorry to post on such an old thread, but wouldn't it be possible to run separate servers/isntances of worlds, and that way have players change server(world) in a server cluster, rather than trying to run it all in an single instance of terraria? Sort of like having server talking to each other? Portal could be a rod (right-clickable) but the "landing" platform would be in fixed location (map editor would place the hooks(landing platforms) in specified location, example, Right top corner or something?

Again sorry for reviving such an old thread, but i'm really interested whether this would be possible. my coding know-how extends to "hello world" and a simple calculator in C++.

Thanks and sorry.

Sorry to post on such an old thread, but wouldn't it be possible to run separate servers/isntances of worlds, and that way have players change server(world) in a server cluster, rather than trying to run it all in an single instance of terraria? Sort of like having server talking to each other? Portal could be a rod (right-clickable) but the "landing" platform would be in fixed location (map editor would place the hooks(landing platforms) in specified location, example, Right top corner or something?

Again sorry for reviving such an old thread, but i'm really interested whether this would be possible. my coding know-how extends to "hello world" and a simple calculator in C++.

Thanks and sorry.
While this is not possible in vanilla without external assistance, it is not only possible but already done on a few largest multiplayer servers. There's also free open-source software on GitHub that allows you to achieve this (although requiring using chat commands to do so... I think you can set up warp-portals too however). Slightly flawed in terms of performance, but gets the job done. The project is not mine, I maintain a different program that works in a similar manner.
https://github.com/popstarfreas/Dimensions

Somebody's developing a full MMO of the game, so it's entirely possible.

What I really want are teleporters that are early-game and viable- instead of having to place miles and miles of wire.

Back
Top Bottom