XInput GamePad Support Mod [Pre-1.3]

I'm am currently doing that myself and right now it's still up in the air, but at-least not off the table by the looks of it. I'm not sure if Green Cat could release a version that doesn't need Game Launcher to work but I've been told it's possible by another forum user. Green Cat can we get any comment on this?
Well, there was a point when you didn't need Game Launcher for Green Cat's mod, but he changed it. So, it's not entirely impossible for him to make such a version.

I'm am currently doing that myself and right now it's still up in the air, but at-least not off the table by the looks of it. I'm not sure if Green Cat could release a version that doesn't need Game Launcher to work but I've been told it's possible by another forum user. Green Cat can we get any comment on this?
GOG Version is coming out soon. Finally found out how to do it: Installer will patch the original GOG version's executable so how you get that executable has nothing to do with me and I don't have to worry about it.

GOG Version is coming out soon. Finally found out how to do it: Installer will patch the original GOG version's executable so how you get that executable has nothing to do with me and I don't have to worry about it.

That's good news... thank you. :)

Last edited:

Green Cat,

Any update on a release for the version that will work with the GOG copy? Game Launcher also works with the GOG copy now.

Last edited:
Hey Green Cat, I dunno if people have asked this yet, but how feasible would a tAPI version be? I want to use it with modded terraria but this just has its own .exe and only works with vanilla terraria. Heck, I can't even use it with that one inventory manager .exe mod, which is a real shame.

This is very great, but I can't seem to place anything with this mod and controller.
You need to go into the cursor mode. It allows the right stick to move how the mouse would otherwise work without it.
[DOUBLEPOST=1416948504][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey Green Cat, I dunno if people have asked this yet, but how feasible would a tAPI version be? I want to use it with modded terraria but this just has its own .exe and only works with vanilla terraria. Heck, I can't even use it with that one inventory manager .exe mod, which is a real shame.
Well, I started a thread asking them to add official gamepad support to Terraria, and Cenx said they are talking about it. I think it depends on how 1.3 goes. Hopefully they can get it in then.

I'm just wondering if this works for other controllers like the Nvidia controller.
Yes; Any controller that uses XInput, like the Nvidia Shield Controller, will be indistinguishable from a regular Xbox Controller by this mod or really any game that uses Xbox Controllers. Otherwise, if you want to use a DirectInput controller (one that doesn't have A,B,X,Y,LB,RB,LT,RT,LTh,RTh,Start,Back) you must use x360ce to emulate XInput.

Hi Green Cat,
I have just purchased Terraria after I stumbled upon your mod and want to play the game with my son (locally). But I'm having an issue (that I seem unable to solve).
* I start two instances of the game and bind the xbox360 controllers to the two Terraria instances and start the games fine.
* However once the game starts only the window in focus (last clicked on) can be controlled by its xbox controller
- This is not the case in the menu screens which do not seem to not require window focus. Its only a problem when you seed to control your character.

I have not found the "Poor Excuse for Splitscreen Support" option in Config App. Is that still required? If so how do I enable it? Running XbcmConfig.exe does not give me any options other than default.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Green Cat,
I have just purchased Terraria after I stumbled upon your mod and want to play the game with my son (locally). But I'm having an issue (that I seem unable to solve).
* I start two instances of the game and bind the xbox360 controllers to the two Terraria instances and start the games fine.
* However once the game starts only the window in focus (last clicked on) can be controlled by its xbox controller
- This is not the case in the menu screens which do not seem to not require window focus. Its only a problem when you seed to control your character.

I have not found the "Poor Excuse for Splitscreen Support" option in Config App. Is that still required? If so how do I enable it? Running XbcmConfig.exe does not give me any options other than default.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Open XbcmConfig.exe
  • Right click in the profiles area.
  • Select "New Profile..."
  • Name the profile whatever you want.
  • Click the bullet next to the new profile you just created to switch to that profile. (A popup should appear confirming that it saved the selection.)
  • Go to the "Config" tab at the top of the program.
  • Check the box next to "Enable Poor Excuse for Splitscreen Support" in order to enable it.
  • Click the "Save" button at the bottom of the window. (A popup should appear confirming that it saved successfully.)
  • Close the program.
  • Play very ghetto splitscreen mode.
Also, remember to get the window in focus and press the "Start" button in that window in order to set the controller for each player.

First off Green Cat I'd like to say thanks with your help I managed to get it working. However it wasn't as smooth as I'd hopped.

When I was using XbcmConfig.exe a popup screen never came. And no matter how many times I tried upon restarting XbcmConfig.exe the default profile would always be selected. And whenever I booted the game Splitscreen Support was never enabled (as it was using the default profile)

I worked (via Process Monitor) out that XbcmConfig.exe was modifying and creating files in: C:\Users\Pev\Documents\my games\Terraria\Xbox Controller Mod\Profiles
So I changed the Default profile to "Enable Poor Excuse for Splitscreen Support" via changing line 153 of:
C:\Users\Pev\Documents\my games\Terraria\Xbox Controller Mod\Profiles\Default.xcpf
from
"EnableGhettoSplitscreenSupport": "False"
To
"EnableGhettoSplitscreenSupport": "True"

I know that this is not the ideal solution but it is good enough for me.

For info I'm running:
  • Win8.1 x64
  • Terraria 1.2.4.1 on steam
  • XBCM 2.7.0
  • Game launcher version 3.2.1.5
Thanks again Green Cat!

Have a few suggestions:
1. Having a seperate auto mine that does both tiles and walls. (So someone doesn't need to switch between the two as much)
2. Auto torch placement where you currently stand; It's somewhat annoying switching from automine to manual just to place torches. (Or is it like this in the console version too?)
3. Err, finding a workaround with autopause?

Have a few suggestions:
1. Having a seperate auto mine that does both tiles and walls. (So someone doesn't need to switch between the two as much)
2. Auto torch placement where you currently stand; It's somewhat annoying switching from automine to manual just to place torches. (Or is it like this in the console version too?)
3. Err, finding a workaround with autopause?
1.That actually does exist but the code for it is commented out for some reason.
2.If you're automining the walls as well as the tiles then you can't place torches ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) But yeah I'll probably add a "Place Light" key that places the top-left-most light-emitting tile right next to your head.
3.I would have to spend days recoding tons of the main game code for that so just git gud and play without autopause. :redspin:

So I tried to play it something like splitscreen with keyboard+x360controller, but there was one thing that break all fun.
When I moving mouse anywhere, xbcm interface is dissapearing in window with terraria with xbcm. Cause of this I can't play it with my brother on same PC. So when mouse is idle, everything fine. Both player in both windows can move, jump etc. But when mouse is moving it's imposible to play.
So it will be great if you add cfg support to locked xbox mode for terraria. For example, I launched Terraria, pressed smthng on controller, xbcm turned on and after pressing buttons on keyboard\moving mouse, xbcm still active/

So I tried to play it something like splitscreen with keyboard+x360controller, but there was one thing that break all fun.
When I moving mouse anywhere, xbcm interface is dissapearing in window with terraria with xbcm. Cause of this I can't play it with my brother on same PC. So when mouse is idle, everything fine. Both player in both windows can move, jump etc. But when mouse is moving it's imposible to play.
So it will be great if you add cfg support to locked xbox mode for terraria. For example, I launched Terraria, pressed smthng on controller, xbcm turned on and after pressing buttons on keyboard\moving mouse, xbcm still active/
Okay.

Back
Top Bottom