Rate the Weapon: Day Seventeen - Toxikarp

Rate the Weapon: Day Seventeen - Toxikarp

• 1 - Never

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 2 - Rarely - The resources are too limited, or the time it's useful is too short.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • 3 - Sometimes - If I have the resources to spare

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 4 - Often - It makes progression easier, but skippable

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 5 - Most Games - It's great to have, but not worth ten hours to get.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 6 - Always - I will build a farm for this if I have to. I'm not progressing without it.

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Ami

Terrarian
Inspired by another topic, it occurs to me that many of us think weapons are bad or unusable, simply because we know what we like. But, do we know what we DON'T like? What's a worthy investment of your time and resources? In the case of polls which have multiple items bunched together, such as the ore swords, pick only the best one. If you love silver sword, but think iron sword is a waste of the bars, vote as if this were a poll for silver sword. I'll be logging these in a spreadsheet and making a compilation of which items users think are good, bad, OP, or a waste of space.
If they're bad, what would make them better? Lower cost? Autoswing? Projectiles? Different attack animation?
If they're OP, what would make them balanced?

Day Seventeen: Toxikarp

The corruption version of the Bladetongue. You can fish it up in a corruption biome as soon as hardmode hits. This is a zero ammunition gun with over twice as much damage per shot as the clockwork assault rifle. The bubbles are large, which is a mixed blessing. It makes it easier to hit the enemy, but also easier to hit blocks and walls. It also has a low effective range, as the bubbles start to ascend after travelling about 30 feet.

Fun fact: In one challenge, I was forced to use a Toxikarp to kill the moon lord. It took over half an hour.

Early Hardmode items
Day 12 - Daedalus Stormbow - 4.75 (24 votes) - this guy probably needs a nerf. People intentionally go out of their way to not use it, as it makes progression too easy.
Day 11 - Nimbus Rod - 4.45 - (20 votes)
Day 13 - Fetid Baghnakhs - 3.5 - (18 votes)
Day 14 - Chain Guillotine - 2.85 - (14 votes)
Day 15 - Bladetongue - 2.88 - (18 votes)
Day 16 - Dart Gun - 2.75 - (16 votes)

Pre-Hardmode items
Day 7 - Pistols - 4.16 - (36 votes)
Day 4 - Yoyos - 4.15 - (13 votes)
Day 8 - Covered in BEES! - 3.78 - (23 votes)
Day 2 - Ore Bows - 3.53 - (26 votes)
Day 5 - Boomerangs - 3.5 - (20 votes)
Day 3 - Grenades - 3.37 - (24 votes)
Day 10 - Gem Staves - 2.80 - (26 votes)
Day 1 - Ore Swords - 2.54 - (24 votes)
Day 9 - Throwing knife/shuriken family - 2.52 (17 votes)
Day 6 - Flails - 2.04 - (24 votes) - RIP Old, bad yoyos

If I have a Corruption World, I'm going to farm this weapon.

It's an awesome weapon that does not use Ammo nor Mana, it is a very nice side-arm for a melee character. It's strong enough to kill Skeletron Prime (yes, I've done it!) by itself if you're patient enough and it can take out hordes of enemies in front of you or above it, it's a nice weapon for using against Angry Nimbus clouds, and it basically does what the Nimbus Rod does, only for enemies above you rather than below you.

It has just enough knockback that very few enemies can actually hit you from the endless stream of bubbles you shoot out and you will tear just about anything to pieces that dares get close to you. The Unreal version of this weapon can just turn anything into melty puddles of goo that dares cross your path.

I found it rather useful in the jungle as I'd just run around dodging stingers while all the bees to my sides and above me would just die because of the bubbles everywhere.

The fact the weapon uses no mana or ammo just makes it all that much cooler, and it is an excellent backup ranged weapon.

I get it just about every time I have a Corruption World.

I won't import Corruption just to get it though, but still. I rather like it. It's a nifty utility weapon that definitely has uses.

2 - Rarely.

The only reason I even remotely like it is because its a Pokemon reference, but I still rarely use it since there's so much more to choose over it (Daedalus Stormbow, etc).

Usually I don't care much about this weapon. I've had it like... once?

So yeah, I'd say "rarely".

I like it. I'm not gonna progress without one.. Or I'll just skip it if RNG hates me.

Unfortunately my world is crimson and I will need to create a corruption world, dig straight down to hell and kill WoF asap.

Or can it be fished out of an artificial corruption biome???

It can be fished out of artificial corruption, just as bladetongue can be fished out of artificial crimson.

Due to Xylia's glowing review I went back and took this for another stroll. I may have overlooked the potential for the weapon. Its certainly not a ranged weapon by any stripe. The range is pathetic and the projectiles too big to shoot through small gaps. Poison is a bit outdated by hardmode, and the weird reverse gravity thing makes it hard to aim.
But then the Harpoon is not a ranged weapon either, really, despite being stuck in that category.
I started treating it like a more unique weapon, playing around its weaknesses. The thing has some power to it, and the projectiles tend to bunch up if you rush enemies, smacking them in a cloud. Either way they do hang letting badguys plink off them, and the knockback is not bad, nor is the fire rate.
And like others said, the infinite ammo is the real kicker.
The Toxikarp is more akin to a long distance melee weapon than a ranged weapon, functioning more like the ice sickle or KO Cannon. Enemies up close are gonna get pulverized, but enemies farther off are in little danger. Still there are better weapons for this - some which have already been rated. I would originally give the TK a 2, but I'll make it a 3.

Back
Top Bottom