Rate the Weapon: Day Fourteen - Chain Guillotine

How often do you use Chain Guillotines in your playthroughs?

• 1 - Never

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 2 - Rarely - The resources are too limited, or the time it's useful is too short.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • 3 - Sometimes - If I have the resources to spare

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • 4 - Often - It makes progression easier, but skippable

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 5 - Most Games - It's great to have, but not worth ten hours to get.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 6 - Always - I will build a farm for this if I have to. I'm not progressing without it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ami

Terrarian
Inspired by another topic, it occurs to me that many of us think weapons are bad or unusable, simply because we know what we like. But, do we know what we DON'T like? What's a worthy investment of your time and resources? In the case of polls which have multiple items bunched together, such as the ore swords, pick only the best one. If you love silver sword, but think iron sword is a waste of the bars, vote as if this were a poll for silver sword. I'll be logging these in a spreadsheet and making a compilation of which items users think are good, bad, OP, or a waste of space.
If they're bad, what would make them better? Lower cost? Autoswing? Projectiles? Different attack animation?
If they're OP, what would make them balanced?

Day Fourteen: Chain Guillotine

A weird and strange weapon, to be sure. It works like a javelin that comes back, or a light disc/bananarang on a fixed trajectory. I found this once while I was farming soul of nights in a challenge, and it was not bad. endless arrows with a hallowed repeater would have been better, though. The upside is that it can function like a fetid baghnakh and hit a single target multiple times if you're super close. It's also a ranged-ish melee weapon, which is nice considering how early you get it.

Early Hardmode items
Day 12 - Daedalus Stormbow - 4.74 (21 votes) - this guy probably needs a nerf. People intentionally go out of their way to not use it, as it makes progression too easy.
Day 11 - Nimbus Rod - 4.45 - (20 votes)
Day 13 - Fetid Baghnakhs - 3.47 - (17 votes)

Pre-Hardmode items
Day 7 - Pistols - 4.17 - (35 votes) - Well balanced and powerful
Day 4 - Yoyos - 4.15 - (13 votes) - Would be higher than pistols if people didn't refuse to use them out of spite.
Day 8 - Covered in BEES! - 3.72 - (22 votes)
Day 2 - Ore Bows - 3.53 - (26 votes)
Day 5 - Boomerangs - 3.36 - (19 votes)
Day 3 - Grenades - 3.37 - (24 votes)
Day 10 - Gem Staves - 2.86 - (23 votes)
Day 9 - Throwing knife/shuriken family - 2.52 (17 votes)
Day 1 - Ore Swords - 2.45 - (22 votes) - Everyone agrees these are not very good, but have no idea how to improve them.
Day 6 - Flails - 2.04 - (24 votes)

I have never used this weapon, so i won't vote in this poll. But maybe I can try the weapon then have an idea...

This one was tricky for me to vote, but I decided to go 3 Sometimes.

I like this weapon, because it feels like a worthy upgrade to the Chain Knife from Pre-Hardmode which is a very good weapon if you can get it early in the game. However I find myself not using this weapon very often, usually because there are other weapons I commonly use more. Despite that, I still find this weapon fairly useful in early hardmode, and it's double chain method of attacking makes it a unique "chain type weapon". I haven't tried using it against bosses so far, so I can't say how effective it is against them. All in all, it is a cool weapon that I just don't use very often.

3 - sometimes.

I've ran into it a few times in a Corruption world. It's a pretty good melee weapon and reforging it is very cheap (might be a bug/mistake though with the price) and it allows the player to attack in a quick way. I didn't use it much though, but it might be useful against some Mechanical Bosses.

I used it in tandem with another weapon vs destroyer once. Orichalcum repeater, perhaps? it was not as good as I was hoping it would be. Even with the point-blank range multi hits, it was still almost 4:00 when I finished killing him.

The chain knife is a really nifty weapon, the only problem being you so often get it long after you have need of it. I long wished for a successor to this weapon, I think many did, so here it is. These two are closely related to the harpoon and the KO Cannon. The subtle advantage of these weapons is they get more deadly the closer the enemy is, as hitting something causes the weapon to withdraw and reload. Thus a close enemy can expect a veritable barrage of pain. The things shoot pretty fast, so even a far enemy may not dodge, though it may seat itself out of the finite range.

The advantage of the Chain guillotine over the chain knife is, like the others in the family, it is autofire, while the knife is single shot and heavy use will make your mouse angry. This means that you can walk fire up to an enemy and concentrate it on them like a melee machine gun, till they die or knockback takes them out of range, and your rate of fire will always be at max. This is something that always tickled my about the Harpoon since the days of old; waiting till an enemy got in your face and blasting them with melee dakkadakka was always a treat (I know the harpoon is designated ranged, but come on).

The only downside for this weapon family is missing is punished severely, the weapon works on boomerang logic, where if you miss the target the weapon takes a vacation. It's hit or get hit with these things.

The Chain Knife has widespread popularity, even though it's not the most powerful in the family (nobody seems to like Golem Fist), and it is probably the best at doing what these weapons do with it's double blades. If this is your weapon type, this is your weapon, and I give it a 4 for letting you carve your way though earlier parts of hardmode, it's one of the more competetive melee weapons there.

Last edited:
I've never actually found one early enough to make use of it, being most of my worlds are crimson and if they're not, I've never really had much reason to go after Corruption Mimics; nor do I run across them innately.

With Crimson, I usually find mimics while trying to farm Vitamins because the Floaty Gross and Ichor Spitters spawn in the Underground, plenty of places for a Mimic to also spawn. However, with Corruption, the Vitamin dropping mobs are on the surface along with Dark Mummies, and I don't really need Cursed Flames (and even if I did, worms are rather easy to find even at the surface), this means I probably won't run into a Mimic, hence no Chain Guillotines (same reason why I've never used a Dart Rifle).

So, I didn't vote.

However, on the premise of the weapon I don't really see myself using it much, it sounds like a gimmick weapon and there are plenty of those. I'm sure you could deliver a ton of pain in a quick amount of time if you're close enough to kiss the enemy, but that is hardly the only weapon capable of that, and most enemies it doesn't matter what you use, it's going to die in a few seconds anyways except for Bosses and I think between the Stormbow, Amarok/Yelets, and the Terra Blade, we got all the bosses covered up until the Pillar Event. And by then you got the Eye of Cthulhu (or should have), with Solar Eruption coming right afterward.

Now if you're looking for an upgrade to a Chain Knife-type weapon.... well, there you go. Solar Eruption's got everything you'd ever want. And then some.

4 - Often.

I find them very useful on melee playthroughs if I'm on a Corruption world. Really makes up for not being able to get the Bladetongue.

Never knew this was in the game until now, and the Fetid, I've seen it once, but haven't gotten it during actual playthrough. I don't bother much with Mimic's as biome-specific ones don't spawn much other than some Corrupted and some Hallow so I make some, then continue on with bosses.

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone reads this now, the Chain Guillotines have been buffed quite a bit and are now pretty awesome! From 43 damage to 59. They're pretty much like the Light Discs now (especially since the Guillotines get modifiers and the discs don't), but you can get them pre-mech.

Back
Top Bottom