Rate the Weapon: Day Five - Pre-Hardmode Boomerangs

How often do you use pre-hardmode boomerangs in your playthroughs?

• 1 - Never

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • 2 - Rarely - The resources are too limited, or the time it's useful is too short.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • 3 - Sometimes - If I have the resources to spare

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 4 - Often - It makes progression easier, but skippable

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • 5 - Most Games - It's great to have, but not worth ten hours to get.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • 6 - Always - I will build a farm for this if I have to. I'm not progressing without it.

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters

Ami

Terrarian
Inspired by another topic, it occurs to me that many of us think weapons are bad or unusable, simply because we know what we like. But, do we know what we DON'T like? What's a worthy investment of your time and resources? In the case of polls which have multiple items bunched together, such as the ore swords, pick only the best one. If you love silver sword, but think iron sword is a waste of the bars, vote as if this were a poll for silver sword. I'll be logging these in a spreadsheet and making a compilation of which items users think are good, bad, OP, or a waste of space.
If they're bad, what would make them better? Lower cost? Autoswing? Projectiles? Different attack animation?
If they're OP, what would make them balanced?

Day Five: Wooden Boomerang, Enchanted Boomerang, Ice Boomerang, Flamarang

While I love Possessed Hatchet and Paladin's Hammer, these guys suffer from a long cooldown if they miss. Add that to the massive knockback they have (potentially harming your accuracy further), they're seriously lacking in the DPS department.

Day 1 - Ore Swords - 2.41
Day 2 - Ore Bows - 3.43
Day 3 - Grenades - 3.33
Day 4 - Normal Yoyos - 3.33

Boomerangs are very valuable to me in Pre-Hardmode Especially. Whenever I find an Enchanted Boomerang in a chest during a new playthrough, it instantly goes into one of my 1 of 6 dedicated "weapon slots" on my hotbar. It is my weapon of choice against the Eye of Cthulhu if I forget to craft a gem staff and it does the job well.

Then later in a playthrough when I go through the jungle, the Thorn Chakram is crafted right after I get a Blade of Grass, and it is my favorite weapon to use against Skeletron along with the rest of the Dungeon and Underworld enemies. (On another note while, I do use boomerangs against bosses frequently in Normal Mode, on Expert Mode I usually end up using different weapons such as the Minishark because it is much harder to aim at them with their rapid attack patterns in Expert Mode.)

But, otherwise yes, Pre-Hardmode Boomerangs are some of my favorite weapons and they support my preference for using Melee Weapons very well.

5. Most Games

If I find an Enchanted/Ice Boomerang early, I'll use it to get the Amazon ASAP. For Skeletron, I like making a Flamarang if I've found an Enchanted Boomerang as I find that nothing kills him faster than a Flamarang. You let him get close to you and you repeatedly whack him with the boomerang over and over and over again, he goes down pretty quick. At least, in Non-Expert Mode, lol. I'll also sometimes use it on the WoF and occasionally in other ranged situations.

If I can't find an Enchanted Boomerang, and if I found an Ice Blade or Enchanted Sword, then I probably won't use boomerangs in that playthrough; I'll use the Fiery Greatsword on Skeletron instead, or maybe a Boomstick or something like that.

2. Rarely.

I honestly never find them to be useful when I get them. I may occasionally use a Wooden Boomerang if it was found with a decent modifier until I craft a better sword or bow, however.

I used to always search for an Enchanted Boomerang upon starting a new game. It was my go to weapon to start the game with. And sticking with 'rangs will see you well defended through almost the entire game. They're a dependable class of weapon with only one downfall, being disarmed if you miss. One that gets smaller as you move along, completely negated with the Light Disc and Bananarang. In the beginning, they hold a huge range advantage over spears and swords, even yoyos, without the ammo considerations of bows and staves, and an immensely higher fire rate. Further, the Enchanted and Frost Boomerang shed light, giving you possibly your first taste of a weapon that can illuminate your path or not need you to retreat to your torches to target the enemy. All of this is balanced by the fact that Boomerangs cannot be crafted in the early stages of the game, requiring you to have a weapon already to go forth and find one.

I don't actively seek out an Enchanted Boomerang, but if I get one, it's going to get a lot of use.
And Flamarang will be second priority with the Hellstone, after the Pickaxe.

Honestly the only reason I'd consider using a boomerang is if I happened to find an enchanted one underground and it happened to be better than whatever weapon I had at the time. Other than that, the only reason I'd use it would be for lighting up dark caves or harvesting cobwebs. They have ok knockback but imo theyr only useful in certain situations. It's best to land a hit at its max range so it hits twice or more, but if you miss you have to hope it hits on the return and have to wait for it to return before you can do anything else. That can make a difference between living and dying early expert mode.

Always!

Both Enchanted Boomerang and Flamerang give me the range and power to take down EoC, BoC, Skeletron and in some cases, help out with WoF. A bit like yoyos - all of the benefits of melee plus range!

3 - sometimes.

Often I find an enchanted/ice boomerang in early-game and use them until I get a better weapon. I use the Flamarang too, but rarer.

I don't tend to use boomerangs all too much. I'll use the Enchanted Boomerang if I happen across one, but there are much better alternatives for a melee run. The lack of auto-swing, their tendency to hit a single target and bounce back when you try to awkwardly fling them past enemies to hit multiple at once and their overall slow use time (gotta wait for it to come back before throwing again) make them a weapon I'll skip most of the time, earning it a 3.

I have tried an Expert mode boomerang playthrough. the Wallof Flesh is insanelyhard to the point I might just call it impossible without using traps/statues. Otherwise, they are agood subweapon

Back
Top Bottom