Weapons & Equip "Removing" endgame armor set bonuses

I like the idea in theory, but the posted values seem pretty unbalanced. Most obviously, Palladium gives 60% bonus for one piece, and 100% for three. Set bonuses shouldn't have diminishing returns; it should be the opposite. Leaf Crystal lv1 is 24 damage, and lv3 is 40, and and Adamantite sets give 6% bonus at lv1 and 10% with the full set. Thus, wearing Adamantite/Palladium/Chlorophyte would give you 60% + (24/40) + 60% = 180% set bonus relative to any one full set, actually discouraging the use of full sets. Some of the other pieces (e.g. Beetle) seem more appropriately balanced, though.

One question I have is how you would handle bonuses on armor whose bonuses can't be broken into three parts. Wood armors, along with copper, tin, and iron provide defensive set bonuses of less than three points. You can't really give individual bonuses per piece, or else regular wood armor would have 5 defense instead of 3. Also, what about armors that don't have set bonuses, such as Eskimo Armor, or don't have a set at all, such as the Viking Helmet?

I like the idea in theory, but the posted values seem pretty unbalanced. Most obviously, Palladium gives 60% bonus for one piece, and 100% for three. Set bonuses shouldn't have diminishing returns; it should be the opposite. Leaf Crystal lv1 is 24 damage, and lv3 is 40, and and Adamantite sets give 6% bonus at lv1 and 10% with the full set. Thus, wearing Adamantite/Palladium/Chlorophyte would give you 60% + (24/40) + 60% = 180% set bonus relative to any one full set, actually discouraging the use of full sets. Some of the other pieces (e.g. Beetle) seem more appropriately balanced, though.

One question I have is how you would handle bonuses on armor whose bonuses can't be broken into three parts. Wood armors, along with copper, tin, and iron provide defensive set bonuses of less than three points. You can't really give individual bonuses per piece, or else regular wood armor would have 5 defense instead of 3. Also, what about armors that don't have set bonuses, such as Eskimo Armor, or don't have a set at all, such as the Viking Helmet?
this is for endgame armors (hardmode)

Put away those Captain Picard facepalm images, because this thread probably isn't what you think it is... but you're here viewing this thread anyways, so I'm going to guess that either the controversial-sounding title did its job, you're watching this subforum (as you dang well should be), or you saw me fat-fingering and posting this thread by mistake a while ago. i don't really want to talk about it okay

But technically, yes, I am proposing the removal of endgame armor set bonuses. A set bonus is defined as a special bonus that activates only when three armor pieces of the same set are worn. Replace one piece, and the entire thing is gone.

That takes away a lot of creative freedom when it comes to armor sets! Mixing and matching endgame armors is almost unheard of, except in PvP situations in which the Spectre set bonus never activates anyways so you're better off wearing the Chlorophyte Headgear for a little bit more raw damage.

So this is a new system that I've devised, and I'm aware that it introduces some big changes. Rest assured that the full set bonuses will be untouched for the most part. One or two might be buffed a bit, but those are the ones I think are currently underpowered anyways.

The basic idea is that wearing an incomplete set of armor will grant an incomplete set bonus. This allows players to put a bit more thought into their armor configuration; suddenly, combinations of different armor sets are no longer objectively inferior to completed sets! If you think gaining a weaker version of the Chlorophyte leaf crystal is worth a percentage loss to Spectre lifesteal, then swap out the Spectre Pants for Chlorophyte Greaves. Loads more possibilities than there were before.

(stand by while I figure out how this table thing works)

Armor Set | 1 piece equipped | 2 pieces equipped | Full set equipped (current)
Palladium_armor.png
Palladium | Striking an enemy grants Rapid Healing at a 60% healing rate for 3 seconds | 80% rate for 4 seconds | 100% rate for 5 seconds
Orichalcum_armor.png
Orichalcum (buffed) | Striking an enemy causes a petal to fly across the screen | 2 petals fly across the screen at different angles (due to pierce mechanics, they cannot strike the same enemy twice) | 3 petals fly across the screen
Titanium_armor.png
Titanium | Striking an enemy grants Shadow Dodge with 40 second duration/cooldown | 30 second duration/cooldown | 20 second duration/cooldown
Chlorophyte_armor.png
Chlorophyte | Summons a leaf crystal with 24 base damage | 32 base damage | 40 base damage
Turtle_armor.png
Turtle (buffed) | Returns 80% damage to attacker | Returns 130% damage to attacker | Returns 200% damage to attacker*
Shroomite_armor.png
Shroomite | Stealth increases ranged damage and crit, maxes out at 15% damage and 5% crit | Maxes out at 30% damage and 8% crit | Maxes out at 45% damage and 10% crit
6sw31Ai.png
Spectre (Mask) | Magic damage has a 50% chance to create a damaging wisp | 80% chance to create damaging wisp | 100% chance to create damaging wisp
ekctpWj.png
Spectre (Hood) | Magic damage has a 50% chance to create a healing wisp | 80% chance to create healing wisp | 100% chance to create healing wisp
dWQzmx3.png
Beetle (Scale Mail) | Beetle Might maxes out at 1 Beetle | Maxes out at 2 Beetles | Maxes out at 3 Beetles
j7GGSgm.png
Beetle (Shell) | Beetle Endurance maxes out at 1 Beetle | Maxes out at 2 Beetles | Maxes out at 3 Beetles
*I know what you're going to say. DON'T EVEN SAY IT. The dodge effect granted by the Shadow Dodge buff or Black Belt will no longer trigger the Star Cloak, Honey Comb, Panic Necklace, Turtle Armor (and hypothetical Mythril, see below) set bonus, or Thorns buff.

Just to prove that we can keep doing this for any set bonuses we introduce in the future, I'll extend this to some purely hypothetical armor set bonuses of my own invention. Most of them have been listed here: http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/cobalt-mythril-adamantite-brainstorming-thread.1734/

Armor Set | 1 piece equipped | 2 pieces equipped | Full set equipped (current)
Cobalt_armor_Hat.png
Cobalt_armor_Helmet.png
Cobalt_armor_Mask.png
Cobalt | Increases damage, movement speed, and defense in proportion to damage output of nearby enemies. Capped at +10% damage and movement, and +10 defense. | Capped at +15% damage and movement, and +15 defense. | Capped at +20% damage and movement, and +20 defense.
Mythril_armor_Hood.png
Mythril_armor_Helmet.png
Mythril_armor_Hat.png
Mythril | Enemies that hurt the wearer have defense reduced by half for 2 seconds. | Defense reduced by 75% for 4 seconds. | Defense reduced to zero for 6 seconds.
Adamantite_armor.png
Adamantite | Picking up a heart grants the Resolve buff. Resolve grants +6% damage and +6 defense for 6 seconds. | Resolve grants +8% damage and +8 defense for 8 seconds. | Resolve grants +10% damage and +10 defense for 10 seconds.|
Hallowed_armor_Mask.png
Hallowed (Mask) | In proportion to how much health the wearer has lost, increases melee damage and speed by up to 10%. | Increases melee damage and speed by up to 15%. | Increases melee damage and speed by up to 20%.
Hallowed_armor_Helmet.png
Hallowed (Helmet) | In proportion to the distance to the target, ranged damage and critical strike chance are increased by up to 10% damage, 6% crit. | Increased by up to 15% damage, 8% crit. | Increased by up to 20% damage, 10% crit.
Hallowed_armor_Headgear.png
Hallowed (Headgear) | As long as the wearer avoids taking damage, magic damage and critical strike chance increase by up to 8%. | Increased by up to 14%. | Increased by up to 20%.
Frost_armor_male.png
Frost | Melee and ranged damage leave behind stationary ice crystals that deal 60% damage and last for 4 seconds. | Ice crystals deal 80% damage and last for 7 seconds. | Ice crystals deal 100% damage and last for 10 seconds.
The Frost Armor set bonus probably demands some explanation. As almost everyone knows, the Flask of Frost and Frost Bullets are confirmed for 1.3, and the reason why people are not enthusiastic about it is because Frostburn can already be reliably inflicted by anyone wearing Frost Armor. If we make it so Frost Armor does something else, then the Flask of Frost and Frost Bullets might find a niche. I didn't consider this change major enough to include in its own thread (my standards are too high nowadays), but it deserves to be mentioned here.

Oh, and a reminder: I did all the balancing and statistics with my gut. I have a pretty sensible gut, and it's right more often than not, but don't go around thinking that I've done in-depth simulations or anything like that. If you feel like something needs to be adjusted for balance, then please bring it up, and we'll talk mathematics.

That concludes the suggestion. It may be a little late for 1.3, but this is a change, albeit a major one, that could add a whole lot more dimensions to Terrarian combat. So please consider it carefully!

now to think of an appropriate punishment for anyone who brings up the time I posted this thread on accident
Get that out of here.

These ideas are pure garbage..

By making specific versions of these armors for certain classes it maintains balance... Infact keep the end-game armors because. Sacrificing Balance for so called " Creative Freedom " makes it a very invalid. You sound like a person who complains about equality for this idea. I find that all classes should have their specific armors...
Stardust armor is amazing for having a low defense, but in-game the game treats you great for sacrificing it for pure attack. T_T
Melee armor is a reward for melee users due to having the BEST DEFENSE, and WORST ATTACK, but get treated to a treat for it.
Nebula armor is a reward for having the best attack and worst defense.
Range for being the average middle ground of fun.

You're essentially punishing people who worked their asses off on a class then get rid of the armor.. That's really regressive. I prefer the inequal and balanced system we got. Infact making people focus on a specific class helps the developers out and makes the game experience more enjoyable for it. Calamity mod made an item specific for this as VERY VERY END GAME!

Honestly you are being slightly or is cancerous to everyone giving people an idea that sounds good on theory, but in execution the creative freedom will be even more extra work for the developers and a true wasting of precious kilobytes. hell the 1.3.4 Defender Sets are COOL! The Summoner needs more items and thrower.

Get that out of here.

By making specific versions of these armors for certain classes it maintains balance... Infact keep the end-game armors because. Sacrificing Balance for so called " Creative Freedom " makes it a very invalid. You sound like a person who complains about equality for this idea. I find that all classes should have their specific armors...
Stardust armor is amazing for having a low defense, but in-game the game treats you great for sacrificing it for pure attack. T_T
Melee armor is a reward for melee users due to having the BEST DEFENSE, and WORST ATTACK, but get treated to a treat for it.
Nebula armor is a reward for having the best attack and worst defense.
Range for being the average middle ground of fun.

You're essentially punishing people who worked their asses off on a class then get rid of the armor.. That's really regressive. I prefer the inequal and balanced system we got. Infact making people focus on a specific class helps the developers out and makes the game experience more enjoyable for it. Calamity mod made an item specific for this as VERY VERY END GAME!

Honestly you are being slightly or is cancerous to everyone giving people an idea that sounds good on theory, but in execution the creative freedom will be even more extra work for the developers and a true wasting of precious kilobytes. hell the 1.3.4 Defender Sets are COOL! The Summoner needs more items and thrower.
You mention that the idea is unbalanced, albeit the way that baconfry has designed it makes it so that most armor set combinations will end up fairly well rounded.

Also, the endgame armor sets are not included in this thread. This is because they ARE class-based, unlike the modified versions of the regular armors that baconfry includes in this thread. I assume that the endgame armor sets would remain the way they are. I also don't understand your argument on how it punishes people who've already made armor?

You say that this will require a lot of extra work, while the way that it is displayed in this thread would suggest otherwise, as the system shown actually seems very simple. Adding this suggestion probably wouldn't even take a full "precious kilobyte" of data. Worst case scenario, the game takes .01 seconds longer to load. Probably not even that.

You mention that the idea is unbalanced, albeit the way that baconfry has designed it makes it so that most armor set combinations will end up fairly well rounded.

Also, the endgame armor sets are not included in this thread. This is because they ARE class-based, unlike the modified versions of the regular armors that baconfry includes in this thread. I assume that the endgame armor sets would remain the way they are. I also don't understand your argument on how it punishes people who've already made armor?

You say that this will require a lot of extra work, while the way that it is displayed in this thread would suggest otherwise, as the system shown actually seems very simple. Adding this suggestion probably wouldn't even take a full "precious kilobyte" of data. Worst case scenario, the game takes .01 seconds longer to load. Probably not even that.
The idea of mixing and mashing doesn't truly work it puts more stress on the developers. It would make more sense to change the biomes then change the armors that all versions use the system of.. There is a saying that is " If it isn't broken, do not fix it "... Summoners infact armor would instantly break in this system due to... Simply... They use their own armors. So keeping armor class exclusive is simple, effective, and works great for the bosses. Okay it essentially punishing people who used the old system...
If people mixed and mashes.
Infact it would make more sense for Summoners getting an Upgrade Boost over this.

The idea of mixing and mashing doesn't truly work it puts more stress on the developers.
Is the point of suggestions not to add additional content to the game?
Summoners infact armor would instantly break in this system due to... Simply... They use their own armors.
What if you could have 2 pieces of melee-themed gear and one summoner-themed gear? You could use mostly melee weapons but also have a few minions to help out. Creative possibilities like this are what could make armors way more interesting.
Okay it essentially punishing people who used the old system...
How so? Pre-Existing armors still work fine. If you want to just use a full set of one type of armor, just go for it.
Infact it would make more sense for Summoners getting an Upgrade Boost over this.
Why don't you just make your own suggestion for this instead of getting mad over a thread that doesn't focus on that topic?

Honestly you are being slightly or is cancerous to everyone

@QuartzTerrariaFan

These comments are uncalled for and very rude. It is one thing to not like a suggestion, and it is another thing to attack the person who made the suggestion and offer nothing to improve the suggestion with constructive criticism.

Do not make comments of this nature again, either post respectfully to other members or do not post at all. Future comments of this nature may result in consequences up to and including a temporary or permanent ban from the Suggestion Section.

this idea is good in theory, but in practice, it takes away the uniqueness and difficulty of class armors. given the changes you have mad, I could probably do some math to figure out which combinations of armor are the most powerful. DIY armor sets would take away too much challenge, in my opinion. im also not going to try and over justify myself when I say that im just not a fan of this idea. its seems unnecessary, and changing a mechanic as big as set bonuses seems risky at best. the risk that comes with changing a mechanic is the same reason why im against changing boomerangs from melee to throwing. changing such a large mechanic that's been there since the beginning (if im not mistaken) can have negative repercussions. they may be as minor as a couple hundred players stop playing the game, or as major as mass outrage from the fans and community as a whole. I don't speak for the devs, but this doesn't seem like a risk they'd take.

@QuartzTerrariaFan

These comments are uncalled for and very rude. It is one thing to not like a suggestion, and it is another thing to attack the person who made the suggestion and offer nothing to improve the suggestion with constructive criticism.

Do not make comments of this nature again, either post respectfully to other members or do not post at all. Future comments of this nature may result in consequences up to and including a temporary or permanent ban from the Suggestion Section.
I wasn't trying to be that way.... I was trying to say what ArmegeddonCraft below... Wasn't trying to sound like a total doche about it...

this idea is good in theory, but in practice, it takes away the uniqueness and difficulty of class armors. given the changes you have mad, I could probably do some math to figure out which combinations of armor are the most powerful. DIY armor sets would take away too much challenge, in my opinion. im also not going to try and over justify myself when I say that im just not a fan of this idea. its seems unnecessary, and changing a mechanic as big as set bonuses seems risky at best. the risk that comes with changing a mechanic is the same reason why im against changing boomerangs from melee to throwing. changing such a large mechanic that's been there since the beginning (if im not mistaken) can have negative repercussions. they may be as minor as a couple hundred players stop playing the game, or as major as mass outrage from the fans and community as a whole. I don't speak for the devs, but this doesn't seem like a risk they'd take.
This is what I was saying, but harsher tone.

+ 1 support

Hello HorrorGaming,

Posts such as this are considered "lack of content", and as such if you only want to show your support for the suggestion without adding feedback. The "like" button is the way to do this. This is what our Rules say regarding posting content such as this: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...culture-please-read.53/#rulesPostExpectations

I wasn't trying to be that way.... I was trying to say what ArmegeddonCraft below... Wasn't trying to sound like a total doche about it...

This is what I was saying, but harsher tone.

As long as you are respectful when giving criticism on the suggestion. It is fine how you do it. Saying anything along the line that a suggestion sucks does not help the Suggestion Creator improve their Suggestion. If it's understood how to give feedback respectfully from this, then everything is good.

Back
Top Bottom