New profile posts

By combining a garden gnome with a wooden fishing rod, we should get a figure of a fishing gnome, which, when placed, increases the fishing power.
Yoooo your birthday’s the day after mine that’s awesome
Hope you’re having a happy birthday
Space Fact of the Day #103:
Project Orion was a study conducted in the 1950s and 1960s by the Air Force, DARPA, and NASA into how effective nuclear pulse propulsion was. NPP is a method of spacecraft propulsion that basically involves repeatedly detonating nuclear bombs and using their explosive power to provide thrust. This could potentially bring spacecraft to up to sizable fractions of the speed of light.
a really far away planet
a really far away planet
The project was led by Ted Taylor who worked at General Atomics, and Freeman Dyson, best known for being the namesake of the Dyson sphere. However, the project didn't get very far. The most successful model test of Project Orion reached roughly one hundred meters in altitude following six sequenced chemical explosions. Project Orion was eventually cancelled in 1964.
a really far away planet
a really far away planet
This was primarily due to the 1963 Partial Test Ban Treaty, which banned nuclear explosions in space. Additionally, concerns over nuclear fallout from Project Orion affecting the rest of the planet didn't help. A further 1967 Outer Space Treaty which most spacefaring nations on Earth by now have signed elaborated further on what not to do in space, and Project Orion would have easily violated that.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!
I'm soon going to leave for a camping trip that's likely going to be somewhere between rough and awful. ☹️ I'll be back on Sunday.

As for the daily meme on Saturday, anyone can post it as long as they do it first!
Ohio
Creates
Rats
And
Mice
Back
Top Bottom