Is it just me or this game is DEAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do note that the forum is not as alive as i would have thought it would be, and i don't se much game activity on my steam either. But also, it's been a while since the last update, and people -even myself- stopped playing Terraria like they used to. I think it's just a phase, give it one or two months, and activity will flourish again.

Well, again, activity on both fronts is driven by two things: news/updates and community engagement.

I can promise that the first will be there - the rest is in the hands of all of you. That is especially important during the "lulls" - we plan to support that with events, features, contests, etc.

On the front, if you have ideas to enhance engagement, just pass them along. :)

Cheers

I never play on public servers with Terraria or MC. It's a lot more fun when you log in and your stuff has not been destroyed or stolen.

First of all, multiplayer with strangers is not as popular as it used to be (there go non-private servers with many players at once). Second, people stop playing to wait for 1.3, that will (as fans expect) deliver drastic changes and tons of content into the game and of course require new world generation.

Game activity isn't dictated by the amount of servers that are available.
Especially on Terraria, where multiplayer with large numbers can actually be detrimental; we've had multiple playthrough attempts with multiple people and most of the time there were problems with people going ahead too fast and others going too slow, and too much dramallama going on.

I mean, Terraria's still on the top 30 most played, with 8000+ people playing today, and a peak of around 14k. That's not including the consoles.

As Loki mentioned, activity is driven by news and updates. We haven't had an update in a long while, but we're still going pretty swimmingly.

i am 1 of those that hates playing on public servers. since i dont know that my buildings are save and i dont have any progression through the game. its just random bull:red:.
opening a server on your own and playing through terraria with some friends is the most fun you can have and is a different story. then you have progression through the game and not that "random bull:red: everyones on his own just killing things."

i never got that playing on public servers anyway. for me it makes no sense.
when i start a playthrough of terraria it should be that a "playthrough"
and i want to progress , collect all that stuff , etc etc.
public playing in games like terraria with 30+ people is just entropy for me
[DOUBLEPOST=1416276856][/DOUBLEPOST]
It was a joke, come on.
And what would your point be? it doesn't make any sense, you can still update a game with not many players.
What i am trying to understand is why are you guys saying that there are plenty of servers when it's not true.
I wouldn't have trouble finding them otherwise.
and btw its not meant to be a game with many open public servers cause if you search for such game your looking in the wrong section.
maybe look for games with an integrated server browser. just because you cant find any public servers ( for a game thats not perfectly played public) doesnt make it dead.

open public servers never were a big thing cuz most people tend to play with friends on private servers.

Regards to OP... I totally agree with you... I made a post on this very forum with a direct link to a new server....Left the link up for 3 days and not one person joined the game even once.
Sadly most of my Terraria enjoyment comes from multiplayer but everyone on these forums seems FAR more interested in idle chit chat instead of actually playing the game.

Regards to OP... I totally agree with you... I made a post on this very forum with a direct link to a new server....Left the link up for 3 days and not one person joined the game even once.
Sadly most of my Terraria enjoyment comes from multiplayer but everyone on these forums seems FAR more interested in idle chit chat instead of actually playing the game.
Have you read the comments? And also it's a public server on TERRARIA. Terraria doesn't work well on public servers without plugins to protect everyone's stuff and make infinite resources and land.

dude sure no one (or at least just a few people) joins open public servers. Its just not the same. Your stuff needs to be protected and everyone is on a different level of progression also sometimes you just have a hard time to find an unopened chest.
Since the gameworlds in Terraria are not infinite the game doesnt work that well on public servers.

I also have the most fun with Terraria in Multiplayer but i play Multiplayer with my mates i know and our private server.
So we only play together have the same progression and nobody is griefing the :red: out of us.

This isn't particularly on-topic, but I feel the need to say it.

Please don't assume no one plays multiplayer simply because the game wasn't designed for large vanilla multiplayer servers. With a bit of modification (aka TShock), it opens the door to tons of different multiplayer possibilites, from survival with auto-regen worlds, to PvP servers to fight with the best, to free-build servers with unlimited items for the sake of building and hanging out with a community, all with anti-cheat and anti-grief features that do a very nice job of keeping the server fun to play on.

As I said before, there IS a multiplayer community, and it's a fairly active one. No, it's not nearly the same as vanilla multiplayer (best with only a few players), but statements like "no one joins open public servers" is simply untrue.

dude sure no one (or at least just a few people) joins open public servers. Its just not the same. Your stuff needs to be protected and everyone is on a different level of progression also sometimes you just have a hard time to find an unopened chest.
Since the gameworlds in Terraria are not infinite the game doesnt work that well on public servers.

I also have the most fun with Terraria in Multiplayer but i play Multiplayer with my mates i know and our private server.
So we only play together have the same progression and nobody is griefing the :red: out of us.

Nah, pretty much every server has some kind of house protection.
I'm not even protecting my house but no one even thought about griefing it so far (which is odd)
I found an amazing server like 2 days ago, and even though chests won't respawn at all (we get a new map every 7 days though) i'm not having any trouble.
It actually makes it even more entertaining.
Pretty much the best terraria experience i've had so far.
[DOUBLEPOST=1416428022][/DOUBLEPOST]

You should see the pokemmo forums then :D
I didn't have this impression, the abitual posters on this forum seem to still be playing the game.

This isn't particularly on-topic, but I feel the need to say it.

Please don't assume no one plays multiplayer simply because the game wasn't designed for large vanilla multiplayer servers. With a bit of modification (aka TShock), it opens the door to tons of different multiplayer possibilites, from survival with auto-regen worlds, to PvP servers to fight with the best, to free-build servers with unlimited items for the sake of building and hanging out with a community, all with anti-cheat and anti-grief features that do a very nice job of keeping the server fun to play on.

As I said before, there IS a multiplayer community, and it's a fairly active one. No, it's not nearly the same as vanilla multiplayer (best with only a few players), but statements like "no one joins open public servers" is simply untrue.

well i also said (a few one) which was meant to compaired to the vanilla multiplayer sessions with friends.

if you compair those two the public multiplayer is pretty much nothing cause the majority of players is playing with friends on private servers.

*Terraria announces that there will be a huge 1.3 update sometime soonish*
"DIS GAEM B DED! I CANNNNT FND ENY SRVRS! AND TEH FORUMZ ARE INATIVE!"

Really?
Firstly, I have been able to find 4-5 sites with hundreds of servers listed each with only 2 minutes of searching, so let me ask you, how exactly are you trying to find servers?
Secondly, with a game like terraria just because there are no servers doesn't mean that the game is dead, plenty of people play by themselves or on non-public servers.
Thirdly, TO is definitly dead, I can understand why you say that, but that's because it's just worse than this site and infested with spambots, however, TCF has just about as much activity as TO had before TCF existed, so the game isn't dying or dead because the activity on the forums is about the same.
Fourthly, if the game is still updating then you can't call it a dead game.

So, is terraria dead? No. Clear as day that it is not dead.

Sorry if I sounded mean in this post but really, think before you post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom