Is it just me or this game is DEAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you were playing on the wrong server. Mineplex, the biggest Minecraft server to date, has had over 25000 (yes, 25k) players on at one time, spread across all sorts of minigames, not just boring old survival.

I hate to say it, and yes I am defending Minecraft (because I play it all the time), Minecraft has Terraria beat when it comes to multiplayer. Minecraft servers have custom plugins so you can play Hunger Games, Hide 'n Seek, Team Deathmatch, Paintball, Capture the Flag, the list goes ON and ON. I realize that Terraria has plugins as well, but it will never be as advanced and popular as Minecraft servers because there is only so much you can do with a 2D game.

But that being said, Terraria is not "dead", people just become inactive because they are waiting SO long for a new update to come. Honestly, if 1.3 was split up into 3 or 4 different updates released sooner and continuously rather than later and just 1 update, I think it would be better for the community. That way we keep getting new content occasionally instead of bombarding everyone with 100 new things added at once, which can be overwhelming.

Minecraft multiplayer is pretty much the meaning of life.
The good old days when me and a couple of friends used to meet up at 3 am in order to "Tnt-cannon" the base of a group of guys who would have eventually rebuilt it during the next day

f4b5a39b0b.jpg

Multiplayer is a sidequest. I guess most players actually focus on the main quest instead - I've been at it for ~700 hours and counting.

And these forums look dead to you? That's quaint. I'm a member of a forum which gets three posts a month average, and I consider it to be quite alive. Different socialization requirements, I guess?

I think you were playing on the wrong server. Mineplex, the biggest Minecraft server to date, has had over 25000 (yes, 25k) players on at one time, spread across all sorts of minigames, not just boring old survival.

I hate to say it, and yes I am defending Minecraft (because I play it all the time), Minecraft has Terraria beat when it comes to multiplayer. Minecraft servers have custom plugins so you can play Hunger Games, Hide 'n Seek, Team Deathmatch, Paintball, Capture the Flag, the list goes ON and ON. I realize that Terraria has plugins as well, but it will never be as advanced and popular as Minecraft servers because there is only so much you can do with a 2D game.

But that being said, Terraria is not "dead", people just become inactive because they are waiting SO long for a new update to come. Honestly, if 1.3 was split up into 3 or 4 different updates released sooner and continuously rather than later and just 1 update, I think it would be better for the community. That way we keep getting new content occasionally instead of bombarding everyone with 100 new things added at once, which can be overwhelming.
I understand that there are a bunch of minigames and stuff... I play them, but I should have specified, as I meant survival servers. Though to be honest, I don't play minigames much any more either. Waaaay too many hackers in the things I like...

Multiplayer is a sidequest. I guess most players actually focus on the main quest instead - I've been at it for ~700 hours and counting.

And these forums look dead to you? That's quaint. I'm a member of a forum which gets three posts a month average, and I consider it to be quite alive. Different socialization requirements, I guess?

As already stated.
I just expected more from the official forum of a game which sold over 2.5 milion copies (and that was in january 2013).
Especially from the off topic section (TOPKEK).

I think a lot of us are waiting for 1.3. Still, for a little indie game that's over 3 years old it's remarkable it's still the 22nd most played game on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Public server? That's crazy talk. Most players who want to get the best out of MP setup their own servers with friends.

Pff, i'm probably going to occupy one of those empty servers on the list.
I already found a nice 10 slot empty italian server.
It should do, as soon as i find someone willing to follow me ;)

This is by no mean a dead forum, that's not what i was trying to say, i just expected it to be more active, but that's me.

Most, if not all, forums that aren't for mainstream popular games such as Minecraft are as 'quiet' as this. This is coming from someone that has visited many different forums for games that aren't (or aren't any more) known very well throughout the whole gaming community.

That and the majority never really feel reason to come to these forums. Don't really blame them, though, the forums aren't for everyone.

There aren't links or mentions of said forums in any of the actual game platforms either - something I want to rectify. :)

Still, like I said, 2700 posts/day is hardly "inactive"

Someone needs to revive off topic though, i can't do that by myself.

I don't think anyone needs to "revive" anything. People will use threads when they feel they have something to say.

For mindless, constant spam for no reason, there's the Forum Games section, after all.

Breaking news: More than one known forum can exist for a game.

Yes, most people abandoned ship on TO when TCF happened. Me included. Doesn't mean nobody uses it anymore - and hey, there's a few threads in there worth re-reading for the lulz, too.

It's just a game that plays really fast. So there is lots of replay value, it just runs out really fast so not that many people stick around once they've done everything every way they can think of.

There aren't links or mentions of said forums in any of the actual game platforms either - something I want to rectify. :)

Still, like I said, 2700 posts/day is hardly "inactive"

2700 posts per day, about 500 of which are probably down to my buddies @InsertUsernameHere and @BLUESWORDSMAN !!!

Banter firmly aside, though I agree the number of servers and active players is deflating at the moment, this is in my opinion mainly due to people being in a preparative state for 1.3. I say this mainly because of experience of similar situations in many other games.

Let's take Latale in the month prior to Season 2, or Grand Chase in the month prior to Season 5. People cooled off on playing, simply because - where was the worthiness in putting in a load of effort now, when things were soon to be completely changed from the ground up. And made so less effort is required!

This doesn't directly apply to Terraria, but since you mentioned servers - the confusing transition from TO to TCF has I think dented the capability for server owners to efficiently advertise their server. Furthermore, as I was trying to say up above, because 1.3 is (hopefully) soon to come out, I think server owners are discouraged from making a new server as a great deal of effort would undoubtedly be required - and then a new patch could quite possibly be out next tuesday! Where things are up in the air like now, it takes a lot of balls to throw yourself into the running of a server, with the natural result that less people are willing to take the risk!

The decline in servers then means that a proportion of the playerbase, say, devoted PvPers or RP server players become more inactive. This then reduces popularity of other servers, which discourages servers from opening and staying up even more! It's a classic vicious cycle. The silver lining is that, as with Latale and Grand Chase that I mentioned, recovery comes quickly once the patch in question is out. In fact, excitement for the patch combined with a break by the playerbase, will only improve activity over original levels! That is my prediction. But it's only what I think (consider it a reasonable, educated guess), so...

this game isn't dead. if it where dead they wouldn't still be updating it, or making a toy line, or the new website redo, or a massive sequel (and apparently a sequel for that sequel)

if you don't find an interest in the game anymore it just means your more of a starbound and/or minecraft person.this game wont die out soon and neither will the people who support it. so GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR

I would only consider a game dead when people have largely forgotten about it. Terraria does not meet this criteria and probably won't get close to dead or dying until Terraria 2 overtakes it.

I wouldn't call it dead or dying. Most of the time I go solo, I don't need to find a server with a few dozen players. When I do go for the multiplayer I stick with a small group. Just a few people I could get along with. Now I do thing they could have split 1.3 into a few smaller updates, even one more update while we are waiting would be nice. Still it is interesting to see what it would hold.

This doesn't directly apply to Terraria, but since you mentioned servers - the confusing transition from TO to TCF has I think dented the capability for server owners to efficiently advertise their server.
What? TO was never the "main" place to advertise a server, unless you were specifically looking to recruit people from TO. Almost of all the popular server's traffic comes from players Googling "terraria server list" and looking at one of the 5-10 different server lists out there. Of course, that's not to say you're wrong, as TCF isn't really a great place to advertise... people have to join TCF, find the server social forums, look at this long list of server names that means little to them, click them, join the group, and only then do they get access to what the server has to offer. Even with TO, you could see popular servers (at the top of the list often, or large page numbers), and you only had to open a thread to see everything they wanted you to see.

I think server owners are discouraged from making a new server as a great deal of effort would undoubtedly be required
What's a great deal of effort? Clicking Host & Play? Clicking TerrariaServer.exe? (P.S. Going to the trouble of downloading Hamachi and/or port forwarding is usually not required.) And even so, what does that have to do with 1.3? We've heard nothing that would indicate any less "effort" when 1.3 comes out.

This game is by no stretch dead, yes the amount of servers on various server lists are low and the amounts of players on the servers are low BUT most players tend to have small servers hosted on their computers for 2-5 friends. The big issue with public servers are trolls and griefers and unlike minecraft there isn't as many plugins to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom