Is it just me or this game is DEAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know that Terraria isn't a "multiplayer" game, right? It is more of a Co-op. There's the reason there's almost no PUBLIC servers. What the :red: are you supposed to DO on them?

For me, some server with 10-15 good players are enough.
Just compare it with a server with 70, no 100 players which are [INSERT A OR B WORD HERE]

For me, some server with 10-15 good players are enough.
Just compare it with a server with 70, no 100 players which are [INSERT A OR B WORD HERE]

It's not like having 15 players online will prevent them from being that word :D
The ones i met were actually nice, but that's not the problem.
I just can't find any server with the gamemode i'd like.
And it's not like i'm trying to find a...flipperskyrimcallofduty server, even a regular survival/minigames server would do.
Ok, i could probably find one of these on those lists, but it's not much.

It's not like having 15 players online will prevent them from being that word :D
The ones i met were actually nice, but that's not the problem.
I just can't find any server with the gamemode i'd like.
And it's not like i'm trying to find a...flipperskyrimcallofduty server, even a regular survival/minigames server would do.
Ok, i could probably find one of these on those lists, but it's not much.
I wrote "good players", not "players" which might be the b or a type of people.
Also agree with @6359_

I wrote "good players", not "players" which might be the b or a type of people.
Also agree with @6359_

Since it does have the multiplayer mode, i guess it was made for a reason.
I agree that the whole game was probably meant to be played by 1-4 players at a time, but it doesn't change the fact that what we have in terms of servers isn' much, considering how many copies this game sold.
Maybe i'm wrong, maybe the game was made in a way that big servers shouldn't even be a thing, but i still think it's not much.

Since it does have the multiplayer mode, i guess it was made for a reason.
I agree that the whole game was probably meant to be played by 1-4 players at a time, but it doesn't change the fact that what we have in terms of servers isn' much, considering how many copies this game sold.
Maybe i'm wrong, maybe the game was made in a way that big servers shouldn't even be a thing, but i still think it's not much.
Well for the sake of the last thing im going to say on this thread. the simplest way to fix you problem is have your own server. :D problem solved. bye bye

PS this isnt me being funny, this is 100% serious, you complain about not enough servers you like? solution: make your own and do as you want

I agree that, compared to the number of copies sold, the current "activity" doesn't seem like much. But I don't think that's a good foundation for a comparison.

Neither these forums nor servers are "dead". While I wasn't an active poster on TerrariaOnline (and can't compare to "the past"), the community here is fairly large and active, with new suggestions and threads being posted every few hours at minimum. The Wiki is still being updated all the time, with new formats, info updates, and vandalism being taken care of quickly - and this is months since the last update, so there's not even the benefit of a new update to be added.

Servers are a different story. There's certainly not the wide variety of servers you would find with other games, such as TF2, Rust, or even Minecraft. However, the Terraria multiplayer community is still very active and only increasing. One year ago, the average playerbase on a popular server may have been anywhere from 30-50. Now, having 70+ users at peak times is almost expected. With all of the multiplayer options, including multiplayer server software like TShock and its numerous plugins, it's easy to find or create a server, from standard survival to free-build to PvP. It may not be what you expect if you come from other games, but for the active Terraria community, it has a large portion of the activity, with hundreds of new players every day... literally.

I agree that, compared to the number of copies sold, the current "activity" doesn't seem like much. But I don't think that's a good foundation for a comparison.

Neither these forums nor servers are "dead". While I wasn't an active poster on TerrariaOnline (and can't compare to "the past"), the community here is fairly large and active, with new suggestions and threads being posted every few hours at minimum. The Wiki is still being updated all the time, with new formats, info updates, and vandalism being taken care of quickly - and this is months since the last update, so there's not even the benefit of a new update to be added.

Servers are a different story. There's certainly not the wide variety of servers you would find with other games, such as TF2, Rust, or even Minecraft. However, the Terraria multiplayer community is still very active and only increasing. One year ago, the average playerbase on a popular server may have been anywhere from 30-50. Now, having 70+ users at peak times is almost expected. With all of the multiplayer options, including multiplayer server software like TShock and its numerous plugins, it's easy to find or create a server, from standard survival to free-build to PvP. It may not be what you expect if you come from other games, but for the active Terraria community, it has a large portion of the activity, with hundreds of new players every day... literally.

About the forums, i guess it's fine like it is.
I mean, besides this forum, the ones i'm active in are the minecraft's forum, and the pokemmo forum.
OF COURSE the minecraft forum is way bigger than this, but taking a closer look, i guess what we have in here is fine.
This is by no mean a dead forum, that's not what i was trying to say, i just expected it to be more active, but that's me.
What really bothers me is the lack of servers.
70 users at peak times? that's not what i'm seeing right now.
But i want to trust you, since i'm kinda new to the game and you seem to be a veteran.
I'll try and see if i can find a good survival server.
As of now, i think it shouldn't be this hard to find one, which is one.
It wasn't even a rant, i just wanted to see if i was right or not (and i'd ratherbe wrong :D)

I don't think the game has been any more alive than it is right now. Also I would consider a new post like every 2 minutes to be pretty active..? Sometimes I make a new topic and it gets bumped off the recent 5 posts list in not even a minute. That's not an "inactive" forum..

In my opinion, I never understood how people could have servers that can hold 100. Even on large worlds, there'll be no resources, no nothing... all the floating islands, the dungeon, every chest, looted... hardmode activated... missing blocks everywhere...

Though I've never been on a multiplayer server, I've seen Minecraft servers, and while the two games are almost nothing alike, in Minecraft servers, it takes hours to get to land that hasn't been ripped apart by non-OCD-Appreciative-Little-:red:s. And Terraria's space is limited.
As for the forum part... wat.

In my opinion, I never understood how people could have servers that can hold 100. Even on large worlds, there'll be no resources, no nothing... all the floating islands, the dungeon, every chest, looted... hardmode activated... missing blocks everywhere...

Though I've never been on a multiplayer server, I've seen Minecraft servers, and while the two games are almost nothing alike, in Minecraft servers, it takes hours to get to land that hasn't been ripped apart by non-OCD-Appreciative-Little-:red:s. And Terraria's space is limited.
As for the forum part... wat.

Inactive was a bit too much, i just found some sections way less crowded than i expected (Gee, off topic has been infactive for over 6 hours, not to mention the clan section) .
What's really strange is the situation of the servers.
I obviously didn't expect to find the same situation of minecraft but, come on, not even an italian server? really?
As someone already stated, that's probably because terraria isn't meant for massive servers, but i find it really odd.
Since almost everyone seems to find it absolutely normal, i guess i'm the one to blame at this point.
However, minerals and resources aren't a problem at all, since most servers regenerate them very often.
I'm actually surprised i didn't lag, since it happened like every 20 minutes.

I've been quite pleased with the forum activity thus far - especially given the current spoiler lull. 11k members and ~2700 posts/day...I'm not sure what I expected, but that doesn't feel inactive to me (plus it will explode as we get closer to 1.3).

As for the game, we are in an update lull - the team is working long and hard to make this an amazing update, but we don't want to give some arbitrary date at this point. Trust me, it will be worth the wait. ;).

That said, a lull in discussion would be expected...with spikes around spoilers....until 1.3 comes out. Then I suspect even the servers would return. In the meantime, you can look in several places here for servers.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?social-categories/terraria-clans-server-groups.152/

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?forums/quick-hookup.106/

Good luck finding a server group that fits your needs! :)

Inactive was a bit too much, i just found some sections way less crowded than i expected (Gee, off topic has been infactive for over 6 hours, not to mention the clan section) .
What's really strange is the situation of the servers.
I obviously didn't expect to find the same situation of minecraft but, come on, not even an italian server? really?
As someone already stated, that's probably because terraria isn't meant for massive servers, but i find it really odd.
Since almost everyone seems to find it absolutely normal, i guess i'm the one to blame at this point.
However, minerals and resources aren't a problem at all, since most servers regenerate them very often.
I'm actually surprised i didn't lag, since it happened like every 20 minutes.
Minecraft servers though... are the bane of my existence. Are you guys just... just that frikin' lazy that you can't chop down the whole tree? YOU LEAVE IT JUST FLOATING THERE?! WTF. YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO COLLECT SAPLINGS AND CREATE ANOTHER TREE?!
"Oh, I just built a dirt tower to get to some ores, now lets fall, take some fall damage, and leave it there! :D"
Then there's the random holes in the ground, the preserved land that people make so that no-one else can destroy a block in that entire chunk, the lack of ores, torches everywhere, destroyed land marks, blown up NPC villages...

Least Terraria's better than that.

Minecraft servers though... are the bane of my existence. Are you guys just... just that frikin' lazy that you can't chop down the whole tree? YOU LEAVE IT JUST FLOATING THERE?! WTF. YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO COLLECT SAPLINGS AND CREATE ANOTHER TREE?!
"Oh, I just built a dirt tower to get to some ores, now lets fall, take some fall damage, and leave it there! :D"
Then there's the random holes in the ground, the preserved land that people make so that no-one else can destroy a block in that entire chunk, the lack of ores, torches everywhere, destroyed land marks, blown up NPC villages...

Ahahaha, actually, the average player would actually put more than an effort in destroying trees and landscapes.
I haven't been playing in survival servers since...2012? it's all about pvp and minigames now.
But since i got bored of minecraft in general, i guess it's not up to me to replant those trees ;)

I think you were playing on the wrong server. Mineplex, the biggest Minecraft server to date, has had over 25000 (yes, 25k) players on at one time, spread across all sorts of minigames, not just boring old survival.

I hate to say it, and yes I am defending Minecraft (because I play it all the time), Minecraft has Terraria beat when it comes to multiplayer. Minecraft servers have custom plugins so you can play Hunger Games, Hide 'n Seek, Team Deathmatch, Paintball, Capture the Flag, the list goes ON and ON. I realize that Terraria has plugins as well, but it will never be as advanced and popular as Minecraft servers because there is only so much you can do with a 2D game.

But that being said, Terraria is not "dead", people just become inactive because they are waiting SO long for a new update to come. Honestly, if 1.3 was split up into 3 or 4 different updates released sooner and continuously rather than later and just 1 update, I think it would be better for the community. That way we keep getting new content occasionally instead of bombarding everyone with 100 new things added at once, which can be overwhelming.

Most people prefer single player, and Terraria is made for single player, with multiplayer as an option.
And I am not surprised there aren't a lot of servers, because Terraria worlds aren't made for a lot of people, they are small and limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom