Weapons & Equip Balancing Grappling Hooks

Call me weird, but I don't really use grappling hooks. A lucky horseshoe and rocket boots do the job for me lol

Call me weird, but I don't really use grappling hooks. A lucky horseshoe and rocket boots do the job for me lol
They are far more useful than those. They can reset your flight time in hardmode without you having to touch the ground, and they also let you cling to the ceiling and completely invalidate all melee walkers. They also don't take up two accessory slots, allowing you to use something that boosts defense or damage instead.

They are far more useful than those. They can reset your flight time in hardmode without you having to touch the ground, and they also let you cling to the ceiling and completely invalidate all melee walkers. They also don't take up two accessory slots, allowing you to use something that boosts defense or damage instead.
They Also Make It So That While Holding A Portal Gun, You Retain Forward Momentum While Airborne, Which Makes You Fly Faster. Horizontally, Atleast, I'm Not Sure If It Works Vertically.

Well, since my loadout is always:
  • Fire Gauntlet/Magic Quiver/Celestial Cuffs (class dependent)
  • Warrior Emblem/Sniper Scope/Mana Flower (class dependent)
  • Obsidian Shield (Warding/Armored because instead of Ankh I'm a lazy person)
  • Lightning/Frostspark Boots (with some sort of diving gear as vanity
  • Wings
I usually don't bother with hooks. Personal choice, though.

Well, since my loadout is always:
  • Fire Gauntlet/Magic Quiver/Celestial Cuffs (class dependent)
  • Warrior Emblem/Sniper Scope/Mana Flower (class dependent)
  • Obsidian Shield (Warding/Armored because instead of Ankh I'm a lazy person)
  • Lightning/Frostspark Boots (with some sort of diving gear as vanity
  • Wings
I usually don't bother with hooks. Personal choice, though.
Hooks don't take up an accessory slot :p, that's what makes them so great.

Also fire gauntlet is a downgrade from mechanical gauntlet.

the Fire Gauntlet has 2% less damage AND 2% less melee speed than the mechanical gauntlet, and setting enemies on fire is completely useless because it adds a whopping... 4 dps.
I Feel Like They Should Make The Mechanical Gauntlet Use A Warrior Emblem Instead Of An Avenger Emblem, And Keep The 12% Melee Speed/Boost. Meh, Atleast Your Weapons Produce A Little More Light. (Yes, A Combat Accessory Is Better For Exploration Then Actual Combat)

Bat Hook: I don't understand how this even happened. Why on earth does a grappling hook that can be obtained pre-boss have more range and velocity then the Lunar Hook? I mean, sure, it doesn't have multiple hooks, but what use does that even have? Just lower it's range and velocity to be slightly better than the Diamond Hook at most.

Not to fact check... but here's a fact check. Note the reach and velocity is less than the Lunar Hook.

Ehhem....png

I feel the Bat Hook specifically is in a perfectly fine place, its niche is that you get pulled in the fastest out of any other hook, and that's all fine and good. This specific hook can also ONLY be obtained between October 20th - November 1st, less than two weeks out of the entire year. I think it's fine that this item is as strong as you say it is/it actually is. Keep in mind the Goodie Bags where it pops out from only have a 1/80 (1.25%) drop chance from mobs and that the Bat Hook has a 1/150 (0.67%) drop chance from the actual Goodie Bag.

If its not Halloween, then you can use this thingy here:

Ehhem2....png

Slightly less reach/velocity, but can be obtained in Pre-Hardmode extremely quickly with a Splunker Potion going from the Underworld up into the Jungle from below.

EDIT: Eh, I'd just say drop the Range of Bat Hook to 29 and we're peachy.

Biome Mimic Hooks: Buff their range to be equal to the dual hook. They're harder to obtain, and for some reason have lower range.

Regarding the Biome Hooks, here's another fact check:

EHHEM3.png

Not only are the biome hooks better range-wise, they also have more velocity and hooks.

(Personally I prefer Dual Hooks due to the Individual latching style which I'm fond of as well as the fail-safe you mentioned before having a hook fire even after you've already sent one out.)

Thorn Hook: Make this similar to the Antigravity Hook, but with more range, and 50% lower swing speed. It currently is functionally identical to the biome mimic hooks, and (in my opinion) this doesn't do an effective job of emulating the only boss in the game who appears to use something similar to hooks.

Regarding the Thorn Hook, I agree with you there, I feel like it should be a Dual Hook+ though, having Individual Latching whilst being able to fire multiple at once. But that's just my take on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bry
Not to fact check... but here's a fact check. Note the reach and velocity is greater than the Lunar Hook.

Ehhem....png

I feel the Bat Hook specifically is in a perfectly fine place, its niche is that you get pulled in the fastest out of any other hook, and that's all fine and good. This specific hook can also ONLY be obtained between October 20th - November 1st, less than two weeks out of the entire year. I think it's fine that this item is as strong as you say it is/it actually is. Keep in mind the Goodie Bags where it pops out from only have a 1/80 (1.25%) drop chance from mobs and that the Bat Hook has a 1/150 (0.67%) drop chance from the actual Goodie Bag.

If its not Halloween, then you can use this thingy here:

Ehhem2....png

Slightly less reach/velocity, but can be obtained in Pre-Hardmode extremely quickly with a Splunker Potion going from the Underworld up into the Jungle from below.

EDIT: Eh, I'd just say drop the Range of Bat Hook to 29 and we're peachy.

One very important detail you are missing here: Bat Hook pulls in fast. As in, much faster than any other hook in the game. That fact right there is what makes it miles better than the Lunar Hook and incomparable to the Diamond Hook. After using Bat Hook in a run all other Hooks just feel slow.

One very important detail you are missing here: Bat Hook pulls in fast. As in, much faster than any other hook in the game.
I feel the Bat Hook specifically is in a perfectly fine place, its niche is that you get pulled in the fastest out of any other hook, and that's all fine and good.
And eh I have to disagree, it doesn't really matter which hook pulls in the fastest once you get wings.
What matters is the velocity of the hook getting from point A to point B so it can reset your flight timer. I never fully get pulled in, as soon as I hook something I instantly cancel it to fly wherever else I need to go. Maybe that's just me though but hook-canceling is the most important part of a hook to me.

And eh I have to disagree, it doesn't really matter which hook pulls in the fastest once you get wings.
What matters is the velocity of the hook getting from point A to point B so it can reset your flight timer. I never fully get pulled in, as soon as I hook something I instantly cancel it to fly wherever else I need to go. Maybe that's just me though but hook-canceling is the most important part of a hook to me.
Nevertheless, the best hook in the game shouldn't be obtainable at the very start. It should at least be hardmode...

They Also Make It So That While Holding A Portal Gun, You Retain Forward Momentum While Airborne, Which Makes You Fly Faster. Horizontally, Atleast, I'm Not Sure If It Works Vertically.

...if at that point you have a portal gun then just use the portal gun instead of "retaining forward momentum while airborne" :D

Back
Top Bottom