Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting if we could implement a renewable system for these, something that would be challenging to get, but viable for multiplayer servers. That same system would, in theory, allow for alt-biome HM Chest obtainment, since alt-biome seeds are available. Its not currently what I'd consider an oversight, though, there are still a substantial number of items that are not guaranteed in a world.

That sounds great.

Where is this 6% coming from? I'm in favor of fixing the "missing 2%" on Fire Gauntlet, but not just adding a flat extra 6% on top of that.
The 6% is just a number I was throwing out. I thought giving Magma Stone and its tinkers a percentage-based damage boost would give them more damage without having to buff On Fire. But such a buff could easily make Fire Gauntlet and Molten Quiver OP. Since those already provide a damage boost, the extra 6% or 4% or whatever could just be lost.

I do kind of wish though that Magma Stone could do more for Fire Gauntlet and Molten Quiver than just adding On Fire. At that point in the game it's basically a cosmetic effect. The main reason to craft either of them is because they stack with other accessories.

Also, it would be cool if Magma Stone and its tinkers could affect whips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bry
I love pretty much everything you guys did with 1.4,
but I have this one strife with the new NPC happiness system:
the maximum range for NPCs to "see" each other is way too short.

this causes the exact opposite of what this system was intended to do as it forces players to build weird crowded housing if they wish to satisfy all conditions for maximum NPC happiness.

here are a few examples:
20200610_Terraria_0lK3.png

20200610_Terraria_lhIK.png

20200610_Terraria_8d0U.png

honestly i just want empress of light to hit for 350 each attack when she's enraged instead of instakill so those of us who can't dodge have a chance at getting terraprisma

Dear Re-Logic,

Terraria 1.4 nerfed the Amazon, which is fully understandable, because it was quite overpowered.

The problem with this however, is that it is almost as weak as the Artery now, with 1 damage difference, which makes crafting the Amazon in Crimson worlds almost useless.

What I would like to see changed is to either buff the Amazon back to it’s 20 damage, since 1.4 made it much more expensive to craft, which makes the nerf already strong enough in my opinion, or to nerf the Artery, to fix the simularities between them.

The problem with this however, is that it is almost as weak as the Artery now, with 1 damage difference, which makes crafting the Amazon in Crimson worlds almost useless.

What I would like to see changed is to either buff the Amazon back to it’s 20 damage, since 1.4 made it much more expensive to craft, which makes the nerf already strong enough in my opinion, or to nerf the Artery, to fix the simularities between them.

There isn't any reason why the two can't be similar in power. Especially since Jungle is always a sort of "side-grade/you-can-get-it-whenever" sort of thing.

Dear Re-Logic,

Terraria 1.4 nerfed the Amazon, which is fully understandable, because it was quite overpowered.

The amazon needed the nerf. If you think 1 damage is useless well in 1.3 the valor a dungeon yoyo did 21 damge... just one more than the op amazon. Amazon is still pretty damn strong by far the strongest of the crafted jungle weapons.

grenades... spike balls... hiding in a box with the vilethorn... hiding behind a wall with the crimson rod
Let's see:
>grenades
I'm killing myself faster with them
>spikeballs
they are very good, but obtained only during invasion
>vilethorn
Never heard of it, maybe i should try. The range is rather short though.
>hiding behind wall
but you have Goblin Mages to deal with

So, i don't know. Maybe i'm doing something horribly wrong, but to me stock of Jesters and a flat area around the base were always the best option to deal with early game invaders.

It would be interesting if we could implement a renewable system for these, something that would be challenging to get, but viable for multiplayer servers. That same system would, in theory, allow for alt-biome HM Chest obtainment, since alt-biome seeds are available. Its not currently what I'd consider an oversight, though, there are still a substantial number of items that are not guaranteed in a world.
Add biome chest lock boxes to Hardmode crates as a rare drop similar to the Golden Lock Box from the Dungeon crates.

The boxes can be as "common" as the old Golden Lock Box's 16% drop and it won't really matter since you're still gated by a Key drop to open it.

This also gives value to extra biome keys found on a world as you can then just crack open some lockboxes if you want an extra set of Vampire Knives without having to make a new world and go through all the trouble of defeating Plantera again.

This wouldn't skew anything as you locate all the chests in Pre-Hardmode anyway, and they'd still most likely be unable to be opened until Post-Plantera. Mechanically what this changes is you just have an extra Rainbow Gun for the HM dungeon.. but if you wanted to you could just plan a beeline route for it ahead of time anyway.

>grenades
I'm killing myself faster with them
You don't need to get that close, take advantage of gravity or you can through them on the ground and run away and have the goblins run into them.

>vilethorn
Never heard of it, maybe i should try. The range is rather short though.

>hiding behind wall
but you have Goblin Mages to deal with
It's a pretty good weapon it attacks multiple enemies rapidly and has enough knockback to freeze them in place. It can attack through blocks too so you can always hide in a box. The chaos orbs from the sorcerers can be destroyed by attacking them, or simply maneuvered around as they are slow.

While playing through a 1.4 game, I’ve noticed a few things that I feel should be changed a bit.

My first suggestion for a small change would be to make the finch staff always obtainable. Every class other than summoner has a weapon they can get right from the start of the game. Rangers and warriors can craft themselves weapons as soon as they chop down a tree. Mages can get Wands of Sparking pretty commonly from surface chests, and if that fails, they can always craft themselves an amethyst staff or whatever. Summoners, on the other hand, have to pray that RNG decides to gift them with a finch staff in one of the few living trees in the world. My suggestion would be to do one of three things: make the finch staff ALWAYS appear in living wood chests, make it appear in surface chests, or make it craftable. That way, you would have a pretty decent chance of being able to get it.

The second thing I noticed is that the vampire frog staff is kind of useless, as it is. From what I can tell, it’s supposed to be the second summoner weapon accessed in the game, after the finch staff, since it’s basically a weaker hornet staff. The problem is, as of now, it’s not really worth it to wait for a random blood moon, go fishing, and fight off the nearly miniboss level enemies in order to get a chance at a weapon that doesn’t really do much. The main problems, I’d say, are that a) the vampire frogs have mediocre damage dealt at a slowish speed, only to ground-based enemies, and b) the vampire frogs need to thwap things with their tongues to deal damage. That means that they’re practically useless against enemies with multiple parts (such as the EoW and the BoC) or flying enemies (BoC, EoC, QB). Basically, it’s just way more efficient to kill the BoC or EoW with the finch staff and a decent whip, and rush the imp staff, than to take the time getting a mediocre weapon as a rare drop from rare enemies. I’d suggest either an overall buff to the frogs, giving them a slightly longer range, more damage, and a higher attack rate, or giving them an active hitbox, meaning all enemies that touch the frog take damage, making it a valid summon against the evil biome bosses.

The last balance issue I noticed is a bit less of an issue, since by the time it comes into play, all the content is basically over already, but it’s still a balance issue I’d say. Basically, the Zenith is just way too powerful, relative to the other classes’ options. It has almost the same DPS as the Last Prism, but with way more versatility, it takes no ammo, no mana, no minion slots, nothing. It’s, without a doubt, the best weapon in the game, by far. Now, I actually like the idea of having OP weapons at the end of the game, but the problem is, it’s the ONLY OP weapon. From what I understand of the classes, warriors are supposed to be close-range tanks with ok DPS. Rangers are supposed to long-range, mildly tanky fighters with consistant, solid DPS. Mages are supposed to be low-defense, high-damage, high-versatility fighters with powerful, interesting weapons, and summoners are supposed to be able to focus on dodging while their summoned minions deal high damage to enemies. The thing is, with the Zenith, warriors now have as much range as they need, higher versatility than endgame mages, and more of an ability than summoners to get rid of enemies without a thought. On top of this, warriors still have their insanely high defense, AND they don’t need to fill up accessory slots with minion summon or mana regen accessories. Basically, with the addition of the Zenith, there is no longer any reason whatsoever to play any other class but warrior in the endgame (apart from flavour). As I see it, there are two ways to fix this imbalance in power. The first option is to severely nerf The Zenith. Its DPS could be lowered to maybe half that of the Last Prism (still insane, but less so), and its range lowered to that of a large sword (it IS a sword, after all). That way, it would still be a great Melee weapon, but it wouldn’t so obviously outclass the other classes. Honestly though, I’d be pretty sad to see the Zenith lose its godlike power. It’s just so cool. Which is why I prefer this second option. Give the other classes Zenith-style weapons of their own. The addition of all the magic weapons could make like, a homing version of a higher DPS Last Prism. All the guns could make your character into a bullet hell boss of its own. All the summon staves could literally give you an army. Basically, if each of the classes had their own super-weapon that specialized in that class’ specialty, then the Zenith wouldn’t be as overpowered any more, and it wouldn’t be a balance problem.

Anyway, those are my suggestions. If you take the time to read this, that’s really cool! Thank you for all your hard work!

I just realized that the desert fossil armor is pointless now. The underground desert in this update became one of the most dangerous biomes prehardmode now and you generally need high defense and mobility to survive. And it could certainly use a buff. Heck it could be an alternative to the necroarmor may'be. Similar to how Meteor and Jungle are both good options for starting hardmode for mages.

Last edited:
Hey, just made an account on the forums for this thread and I'm loving 1.4 so far!

I'm playing in mastermode and the only balance issue I've come across so far is the Nightglow. Maybe we did things out of order, but we found Duke Fishron to be much much easier than Empress of Light in mastermode and when we finally beat her, I was disappointed in the magic weapon. Don't get me wrong, the Nightglow is gorgeous and I love using it, but I feel like I'm putting myself at a distinct disadvantage when I use the Nightglow over Razorblade Typhoon. One of my favorite aspects of magic weapons in Terraria is the longevity of some of the items. I'm still using the rainbow gun, nimbus staff, and clinger staff, simply because they fill niche roles. I was hoping to have a good reason or niche situation that I could use the Nightglow in---maybe it would be better in large open spaces than Razorblade Typhoon, idk---but so far I'm only using it when I want to waste mana and look at the pretty lights.

EDIT: Wow I'm dumb. I'll leave this up in case anyone is as stupid as me. But the dps against bosses is much higher on the nightglow. I did some events with it and it was much more effective than the Typhoon. Carry on, don't be an idiot and talk before you test lol.

Last edited:
I just realized that the desert fossil armor is pointless now. The underground desert in this update became one of the most dangerous biomes prehardmode now and you generally need high defense and mobility to survive. And it could certainly use a buff. Heck it could be an alternative to the necroarmor may'be. Similar to how Meteor and Jungle are both good options for starting hardmode for mages.
i think they could just make the desert fossil armor for the summoner and maybe buff the defense so it isn't worse then ninja armor. they could also add a summon weapon made from desert fossils that could summon an antlion swarmer or something

I don't understand the increase in handgun firerate. Maybe it is my clicking speed, mouse or something, but manual clicking seems to cap my weapon speed at use time = 15, so changing handgun cd from 12 to 10 had no effect.

With my manual clicking cap a molten fury with hellfire arrows deals more dmg than a phoenix blaster , with no archery potion.

Also, if the amazon needed a nerf, boomsticks are better, and finding chests in the jungle is pretty easy because of the open areas and torches.

On swords: why is the blood butcherer stronger than a phaseblade?. Considering that the phaseblade comes after the butcherer in progression, and requires an optional random biome to be explored, I think it needs a small buff

PS: flamelash might be busted.

Last edited:
Desert Fossils are intended to be for the creation of ranged weapons that is why i initially suggested making it a viable option and variant to necro as it's about the same difficulty to get now. (Mostly cause the underground desert will freaking kill you in 1.4). I do think we need more summoner weapons. Specifically whips. Having a whip dropped by sand poachers wouldn't be a bad call either. That would allow for options for summoners in fighting the mechanical bosses. Fire Cracker, Cool Whip. As well as Sanguine Staff & Spider Staff. Not to mention the forbidden and spider armor sets. I would like to see a third option for summon weapons (not including sentries as well)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom