Blocks & Decoration [Sprites] Placeable materials

Snickerbobble

The Painter
As you progress in the game, more and more items become less useful or completely useless to you.. but what if you could build with them? Here is a list of items that could become placeable. I do not have sprites for all of them yet, but I do for most, so here they are:

Foodstuffs:
MaiI540.png

Not quite sure how these would be placed, perhaps right clicking? You would be able to place every potion and food item. These include the holiday food items as well.

Mana Crystal:
DlxkS5u.png

These could appear in the Dungeon to help out mages who don't have enough mana with the new magic weapons locked away in chests. They could emit a strong blue light.

Buckets:
rOVHwrm.png

Could be placed at the end of a chain in a well or for any other use you can think of. Lava Bucket provides light.

Lenses:
1f3lRs9.png
coYj6xS.png

Lenses could be placed on gemspark blocks to emit a beam the color of the gemspark block. Check here for more info!

Rotten Chunks:
vnhw8aR.png

Simply Rotten Chunks.. looks tasty! Would also have a furniture set.

Ectoplasm:
hodLTfN.png

2spooky! Ectoplasm could prevent ghosty noclipping mobs from passing through.

Pixie Dust:
XgyUQmK.png

These tiles would be given the same glow effect as the dropped item. They'd provide light about equal to mushroom grass.

Silk:
lxFwHlf.png

Placeable as carpet over existing tiles. Not only just for wood. When placed onto a tile, you'd be able to paint the silk separate from the tile. To paint a tile and not the silk, you'd need to paint it without silk and then place the silk.

Mushrooms:
DP2DXrb.png
VD2E9Qu.png

You could create fertilizer which can help speed up growth of herbs and even make mushrooms grow gigantic. Chop them down for mushroom blocks that can be placed. They would have their own unique textures.. and not be simple recolors.

Vertebrae:
Would appear similar to bone blocks with a pink tint. Would have its own furniture as well.

Hooks:
For aesthetics and maybe possibly even hurt if touched.

Vines:
Dropped in larger quantities and by Angry Trappers as well. Recipes including Vines will be adjusted. Vines would be placeable similar to Rope and Chains. -implemented!

Coins:
4blp1w3.png

Similar to bars, you can stand on them and drop down through. Paint your Copper Coins gray/white to pretend to be rich! -implemented!

Jungle Spores:
KcpRJ2O.png

They could be planted in pots and on grass. Player-placed spores would drop only one to prevent abuse.

Shadow Scales:
6THNHoI.png

They'd work as walls as I didn't see them working well as blocks. Might try to make a block version.

Crystal Heart:

These would be placeable just like the Mana Crystal.

Silk (curtain form):
Wz8NHjB.png

Placeable similarly to Rope and Chains. Continuous placement in the same spot would place it at the bottom.

Spells:
J7NL6Bm.png

Y42li7d.png

All spell books could be placed, just like books.

Dyes:
GrWAbpW.png

All dyes could be placed.

Paints:
j14fnyF.png

All paints could be placed.

Gel:
aI8cjmV.png

Gel would be placeable as background blocks like coins.

That's it for now I think.. will change and add more later. Hope you like all or most of these. :dryadsmile:

Last edited:
I've got plans for more of these, however I'm needing to not be distracted too much from a much bigger project.. so maybe after. Also thanks for the comments!

Why not?

Feel free to take a sip and grab a biscuit!

(insert gentleman badge of approval here)
[DOUBLEPOST=1421468682][/DOUBLEPOST]Idea:

Placable bones.
Well, there are bone blocks, do those count?

Cool! Maybe you could make a tool to place things like potions, like how the hive wand places hive blocks.
That is one solution, though it's weird how we can place bottles on a shelf, but need a special device to place a filled bottle.

I was eating a cookie while reading this :p Thanks!

Well, there are bone blocks, do those count?
Bone blocks are one thing, but I think they mean placing them in piles, like coins and your placeable slime. IE, what'd happen if you tried to place bone without the wand... though that'd be a bit awkward since bones are also throwable...

Though thinking about it, how many people actually use bones as throwing weapons? I know I don't. I wouldn't mind if they removed that mechanic and just made it so you could pile them up. It'd make for neat lairs...

Anyway, I remember this thread from TO, and I supported it then, too. :> So I support it here, as well! I'm always for more decorations, and this has the additional plus of utilizing underutilized assets.

Edit: Hey, maybe add Hooks to the placeables? :dryadsmile:

Like, right now hooks do nothing after you craft a grapple, they just kind of pile up. Perhaps you could place them at the ends of climbing ropes and chains and the like? For, like, dungeons or butcher shops? It'd sort of look like the Flesh Lantern without the green glop on it?

Last edited:
Bone blocks are one thing, but I think they mean placing them in piles, like coins and your placeable slime. IE, what'd happen if you tried to place bone without the wand... though that'd be a bit awkward since bones are also throwable...

Though thinking about it, how many people actually use bones as throwing weapons? I know I don't. I wouldn't mind if they removed that mechanic and just made it so you could pile them up. It'd make for neat lairs...

Anyway, I remember this thread from TO, and I supported it then, too. :> So I support it here, as well! I'm always for more decorations, and this has the additional plus of utilizing underutilized assets.

Edit: Hey, maybe add Hooks to the placeables? :dryadsmile:

Like, right now hooks do nothing after you craft a grapple, they just kind of pile up. Perhaps you could place them at the ends of climbing ropes and chains and the like? For, like, dungeons or butcher shops? It'd sort of look like the Flesh Lantern without the green glop on it?
I've thrown bones a few times before, but I guess it wouldn't be too much of a loss? Maybe if they buffed poison knives a bit to take their place.. *shrug*

As for hooks, did you mean grappling hooks or the hook item? Cuz I sorta had the Hook already there, just no sprite for it.. :p

Ok, this is probably going to be in my next TBB Suggestion Review...

For the meantime, I'll just say that this needs to be in the game. The concept is wonderful and equally as interesting. I am such a building enthusiast when it comes to Terraria, and this would add so much more possibilities. Amazing good job.

Foodstuffs:
Would love to see these placeable, but obvious problem with use after left-clicking. Would lead to a lot of "DOH!" moments. I don't see this one working. :(

Mana Crystal:
Wouldn't mind to see them placeable, giving them a nice glow. Don't like the idea of them appearing in the dungeon though.

Buckets:
I can see the empty bucket being placed, but the other ones would also have the problem of people accidentally emptying them instead of placing them.
"I'll just put this lava bucket over here and... GAWD! MY HOUSE IS BURNING!"

Lenses:
Like you said, with Terraria's light system these would be useless at the moment. I also doubt their usefulness if light could be directed unless you're thinking about powering certain blocks like spark gems with them and make some interesting... I dunno... powered blocks.
Anyway, this all seems too complicated/not thought through enough for me.

Rotten Chunks/Ectoplasm/Pixie Dust:
No problems with accidental item use here, so all for it. As I've mentioned in other topics about this, I'd love to see blocks preventing wraiths/reapers from entering my home.

Silk carpet:
Perhaps have this one placed as a non-darkened background wall instead to avoid issues?

Mushrooms:
Meh about this one. Players are not expert gene-altering biologists, so I dunno why regular mushrooms would grow to gigantic sizes.
Sure, there's always the "Terraria is not a real life simulator" argument, but even so, I'd like a certain 'normality' in this already crazy game.
I picture the blue shrooms of an entire different quality and texture than regular shrooms. They're not edible, they're even used to create one of the toughest armour in the game. You can build walls with them. They're a freak of nature. :)

Vertebrae:
Wouldn't mind. (Wouldn't use it either since that stuff is gross, but that's personal ofcourse. :p)

Hooks:
Aesthetics, yes, hurting, no.

Vines:
Yeap, implemented in 1.3 as shown in the latest spoiler. :)

Jungle Spores:
More plants to spruce up our homes. Wouldn't mind at all.

Shadow Scales:
Neutral.

Crystal Heart:
Fine by me.

Silk (curtain form):
Would absolutely looooooooove this one. No more smearing pumpkin guts on my walls to substitute curtains.

Spells:
Neutral, bordering meh. There are plenty of books to be displayed already and spells can be placed in weapon racks.

Dyes:
Love.

Paints:
Love.

Gel:
Neutral.

Back
Top Bottom