In-depth Hardmode weapon tier list

Sneaky updates happening in OP. Weirdly I did not find True Night's Edge to push nearly the same dps as True Excalibur in my recent playthrough. Latter was actually my favorite update in the game, as it lands at a spot where I felt like I could reasonably still be in extended melee range for the content that was coming up and didn't miss the projectile. Where say horseman's blade took much more conviction/skill/idiocy to be used as well the stage it drops despite the great pumpkin dps potential

Sneaky updates happening in OP. Weirdly I did not find True Night's Edge to push nearly the same dps as True Excalibur in my recent playthrough. Latter was actually my favorite update in the game, as it lands at a spot where I felt like I could reasonably still be in extended melee range for the content that was coming up and didn't miss the projectile. Where say horseman's blade took much more conviction/skill/idiocy to be used as well the stage it drops despite the great pumpkin dps potential
It hasnt been updated to 1.4.4 yet

Look at the edit stamps and the descriptions, baconfry has been updating and the descriptions/ratings seem to be matching 1.4.4 for most options now.
Baconfry is probably still working on it, and knowing the amount of items, it's fair to save between the posts.

Baconfry will likely mention it when it's fully up to date to 1.4.4

This is probably the most detailed post I've ever seen. No real complaints, this all seems very accurate! I appreciate all the time and thought that clearly went into this.

is this updated for 1.4.4 yet
Definitely not. Sanguine Staff, for example, is S+, because it's still accounting for the presence of a bug that got fixed in 1.4.4 and dropped enormously its viability.

I guess Baconfry is waiting for the upcoming 1.4.5 before continuing the update. He hasn't left the Terraria community, he's still a regular updater of the wiki.

Last edited:
This tierlist has just made me happy to look at since I first started checking these forums a few years ago.
Also, I love seeing the Drippler Crippler get recognition.

Overall, the tier list is pretty up to date but I did notice a few things that should get updated.
A few of the entries (e.g. dart weapons, mushroom spear) mention crimson/corruption biome exclusive stuff. Since you can use dryad in a graveyard in hardmode to get the opposite evil's seeds, ichor and cursed flames really aren't world specific any more.
Terraprisma's entry mentions using hallowed armour on the fight, which was patched out.

I'd also like to call into question the S+ ranking for the charged blaster cannon. While the damage from the full beam is comparable (but a bit worse) to single target weapons of the same tier while being a piercing weapon, you only get to shoot it for 5 seconds before needing to start again, so it only has 62.5% uptime. While I still think its a decent weapon, it's not remotely in the same level of power and longevity as the other S+ weapons. imo even an S- ranking would be generous.

Overall, the tier list is pretty up to date but I did notice a few things that should get updated.
A few of the entries (e.g. dart weapons, mushroom spear) mention crimson/corruption biome exclusive stuff. Since you can use dryad in a graveyard in hardmode to get the opposite evil's seeds, ichor and cursed flames really aren't world specific any more.
Terraprisma's entry mentions using hallowed armour on the fight, which was patched out.

I'd also like to call into question the S+ ranking for the charged blaster cannon. While the damage from the full beam is comparable (but a bit worse) to single target weapons of the same tier while being a piercing weapon, you only get to shoot it for 5 seconds before needing to start again, so it only has 62.5% uptime. While I still think its a decent weapon, it's not remotely in the same level of power and longevity as the other S+ weapons. imo even an S- ranking would be generous.
good catch.

I think I was a bit too excited when I was testing the buffed CBC back when I originally wrote that. I retested it just now, and while it's not quite up to the S+ standard, it does still take a big greasy dump over Empress, Duke Fishron and especially the Old One's Army. I never found any situations where I thought it was lacking. Its lack of longevity is not its fault, more the fault of the poorly paced Terraria endgame tbh

by the standards set by this list, it can probably go anywhere between A and S, and I ultimately decided to make it yellow because I think it's slept on and I want people to click on it. at any rate, people read this list not because they want to know where, but because they want to know why

Abigail needs to be around A tier. Most of the description you gave her already suggests a way better weapon than C+, and then the part about Obsidian Armor is moot because Obsidian Armor in 1.4.4 is just worse than Spider Armor in general no matter the minion.

Blade Staff should be like S instead of full on S+, its DPS is not as high as pre-1.4.4 and boss/DPS-wise it's not very appealing to Hybrid Summoner builds.

Raven Staff should be somewhere in A tier because contrary to what is claimed, its single target DPS is generally higher than Deadly Sphere Staff.

Morning Star needs to be somewhere in S, its base damage DPS seems to be underestimated here. Coupled with its potent tag damage effects not only does it gets superb results in general but it actually outshines Dark Harvest even though it's obtainable earlier in Post-Plantera.

Abigail needs to be around A tier. Most of the description you gave her already suggests a way better weapon than C+, and then the part about Obsidian Armor is moot because Obsidian Armor in 1.4.4 is just worse than Spider Armor in general no matter the minion.

Blade Staff should be like S instead of full on S+, its DPS is not as high as pre-1.4.4 and boss/DPS-wise it's not very appealing to Hybrid Summoner builds.

Raven Staff should be somewhere in A tier because contrary to what is claimed, its single target DPS is generally higher than Deadly Sphere Staff.

Morning Star needs to be somewhere in S, its base damage DPS seems to be underestimated here. Coupled with its potent tag damage effects not only does it gets superb results in general but it actually outshines Dark Harvest even though it's obtainable earlier in Post-Plantera.
in the middle of testing now. I'm pretty sure I had abigail at C+ at first, and then I tested it and rewrote the description, and then forgot to update it. She feels like a side-grade to the spider staff, so A sounds about right.

it's true that spider armor is generally better than obsidian armor, but you'd probably be tempted to at least try using obsidian armor if this happened to you.
1701586742433.png

feelsbad

I rate Blade Staff highly for largely non-DPS reasons, mainly enemy disruption. You can do better for boss DPS after a certain point, but no other minions other than the Terraprisma and UFO do as good a job of actually protecting you.

Raven Staff is weird because it feels worse than it actually is. They look really stupid when they're struggling to chase down a boss, but it's easy to overlook how each hit is dealing like 40% more damage than a Deadly Sphere hit. This is one of the rankings I was less certain about, and I think my prior evaluation of the weapon at A- was fair. Nonetheless I stand by my assertion that the Raven Staff offers better DPS and worse everything else, and I do value everything else, so it may still end up slightly lower than the Deadly Sphere Staff.

At this point you might be thinking something like "how can almost all the whips in the game be S tier?"
imagine saying this and not having the morning star in S tier. get fixed, boi

it's true that spider armor is generally better than obsidian armor, but you'd probably be tempted to at least try using obsidian armor if this happened to you.
1701586742433.png

feelsbad
I fix this by moving towards Spazmatism, which is enough for Firecracker to reach it consistently.

Back
Top Bottom