1.3 Expert Mode Discussion

Do you like Expert mode?

• Yeah!

• Meh....

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm trying to run through this and I can't defeat skeletron at all and I don't want to use my hardmode character to help because it kind of feels like cheating View attachment 62378
This is my gear right now please help and thank you.

replace the bezoar for those boots they add movility and it's really helpful avoiding the skeletron's attack and I would use the bee's knees with an archery potion, and as @Trilby Man said I you use feather fall I think you could maybe replace the balloon, craft regen potions, and get well fed buff and try again

I'm trying to run through this and I can't defeat skeletron at all and I don't want to use my hardmode character to help because it kind of feels like cheating View attachment 62378
This is my gear right now please help and thank you.

Using the Shield of Cthulhu helps a lot in dodging Skeletron's attacks. Upgrading to Molten Armor will help a lot as well for surviving its attacks. Using the Lightning boots is absolutely necessary in this fight as well because Skeletron's head spins much faster as its health goes down, and if it "traps" you its very difficult to escape and will almost certainly kill your character.

If you don't have an arena of platforms near the Dungeon, I would highly recommend building one, it will make it much easier to dodge its attacks, especially as it gets to its 2nd phase. This is the most important part as your current gear should be sufficient for battling Skeletron, but without having proper terrain molded to your advantage, the best gear you can get at this point in the game won't help if your mobility is limited.

I was so exited about expert mode, and decided to start with new character in a brand new large expert world.
People here talk about boss fights only, and I don't think they are not bringing ore and stuff from other worlds in order to defeat them or\and play solo.

For now I feel that expert Terraria has lost it's perfect balance. There is little to none feeling of progression and improvement. Improving armor has little effect on survivability. Going underground, going exploring to dig ore and gather resources is a huge pain at the beginning. And "beginning" here is platinum\silver tier armor and weapons. It's doable, adrenaline inducing at times and feels almost good, until you stumble upon any higher tier monster and die(spider, javelin thrower, medusa, antlion, etc). Since I play softcore character loosing money means a little to me (and there is no point to run back at place where you died because monsters will pickup your money and run away to despawn with it), but loosing my progression through map is more important and I have to go back through all hazards again and again and again. It's a pain to actually play in a large world now in expert mode.

After EoC started to show up at nights it became a pain to return home at surface to drop of gathered resources, build and craft in peace. I die underground at night, respawn at home and immediately EoC spawns and kills me again since there is no time to prepare and quaff all potions to stand against it.
I have 200hp, platinum breastplate and silver helmet and boots, katana, silver bow with flame arrows, sprint boots, important potions I have managed to create so far. And I can't defeat EoC. I have "arena" setup, get it almost dead when it becomes raged and spams his lighting-fast charges at you and it always kills me in seconds.
This becomes incredibly frustrating and having a feeling that you can't really do anything to get better stuff is really hurts a lot.
I can't go outside to explore the surface to find cactus for potions. Staying at home to grow plants is unavoidable(its a good thing), but spawning EoC almost every night is so frustrating. I can't go out at nights to gather stars to craft jester arrows and desert at night is a nightmare because of antlions. Mining for more platinum feels like a waste of time because improvement is so little its almost non existent, since you die fast in like 3-4 hits anyway.

And then I realised that I have to get platinum armor and weapons, all potions, arena, just to kill EoC! And what about EoW? I can't even imagine going near corruption biome. Where is the loot expert mode promises to counter insane hazards it brings? The good thing is potions now means a lot and is a must, but other than that expert mode gives nothing, but a frustration.
People say you have to get molten armor to kill Skeletron! If I've got molten armor(which is insanely hard to get in expert mode Underworld playing solo without binging ore from other worlds) why should I want to get into dungeon anyway?
And this is only beginning, I can't imagine how to play Expert Hard mode if you have to get molten armor to defeat Skeletron.

Terraria expert mode feels unbalanced and incredibly frustrating so I quit playing it. I think expert mode should be slightly harder than normal mode, where you have to thread carefully and slow, always be prepared with potions and consumables, overall spawn rate of monsters will be decreased as countermeasure to their upped hp and damage.
Now I play normal mode in a new world with a new character and feel that it more balanced progression-wise, but feeling it is too easy, and monsters are not hazards they are annoyances more like. :(

Last edited:
I agree with partof about balance and item power progression. But it is playable and interesting in pre-hardmode for me.

But hardmode... :eek:

Killed WoF yesterday (we killed each other simultaneously) and now it's just nightmare. Even with 4 imps + titanium sword (fishing crates) and every pre-hardmode weapon, it's just impossible to deal damage fast enough. And i'm not talking about bosses, normal mobs, especially jungle or underground. Before i can manage to kill 1 enemy, there is already five new trying to kill me. :mad: Instead of adventuring and finding interesting loot, ore (or even farming for drops), there is constant meatgrinder everywhere now.

And i'm trying to play as a summoner, so i don't have high armor, and that's a problem, even with potions\reforges it's still like 2-3 shot from some common enemies. I don't want to cheese anything, but it looks like cheese now unavoidable. :sigh:

I get that this mode is a challenge for old players, but damn it's frustrating. It's like Dark Souls now, but ng+7 for absolutely new player, without stats and upgraded equipment. :(

your problem is that you're doing a summon run which is already inherently hard. Just btw still haven't beaten skeletron even with all of those things done and am now currently farming for molten armor.

your problem is that you're doing a summon run which is already inherently hard. Just btw still haven't beaten skeletron even with all of those things done and am now currently farming for molten armor.

My problem is that even with 4 minions and titanium sword\phoenix blaster\hellwing bow i can't do enough damage to get rid of enemies quickly enough to do exploring or mining. Or maybe i just don't get something.

Exploring and mining should not be too difficult. Dangerous is up on the surface (at night) or in the jungle. Unless you are hanging out in Underground Hallow/Corrimson, the caves should keep you pretty safe.

As for the EoC in Expert Mode, I also had the problem of running into him a lot. But my basic strategy for the game worked well for this. After going along the surface to find easy to access chests and break a bunch of pots for rope and such, I immediately start working on my Hellevator. By the time I've found enough hearts for the EoC to become a problem, I've got a big long tunnel to jump down and make him despawn. Go far enough down the rope, and the Eye is gone for the night. Continue your work in peace.

I have two separate characters, one for a friends server, and one for a solo world, both expert. So I will list the bosses I have defeated with a friend first, then the bosses I have defeated solo.

Bosses Defeated with my Buddy:

Eye of Cthulhu, Eater of Worlds, Skeletron, Wall of Flesh
The Destroyer, Skeletron Prime, The Twins.

Method:

We made two arenas total, one near the dungeon for Skeletron and a small clear space in the underground corruption for the EoW. We also re-used the platform arena near the dungeon for Skeletron Prime and The Destroyer. Overall, the only boss we had any trouble with was Skeletron, who we agreed was the hardest boss we have fought thus far. After having to severely over-gear for Skeletron, the subsequent dungeon and WoF were pushovers in comparison.

Solo Bosses:
EoC, EoW.
I just started this character, so I haven't beaten many bosses, however these two were not any harder than before, in fact they may have been easier due to the decreased health. No arena was required for EoC and only a small cleared space in the underground corruption was necessary for EoW.

My opinion of expert so far is that it's fun, it adds a good challenge to the game, I'm loving the boss loot, however it does make the already slow early-game even more brutally slow, due to the increased normal mob damage. The only way I tear through it is to rush fishing, which can provide good pre-hardmode gear early on. Some re-balancing of certain bosses may be necessary, such as Skeletron.

Just beat WoF and got to hardmode in Expert Mode. I love how the weaker mobs (green slime/blue slime/zombie/eater of souls) get increased stats, though it does seem inconsistent as I noticed that the evolved purple slime had less health than the evolved green slime.

For the most part it feels like starting hardmode in 1.1 again. Your Night's Edge is like a Copper Shortsword, and your Molten Armor is Wooden Armor. Hallow also spawned in my base area, so that'll mean dealing with Gastropads at Night and getting "Light based items" 1st from the Underground Hallowed Tundra. Killing some Mimics will help for sure as soon as I start finding them. Really looking forward to fighting those mini boss mimics with 7000 hp as well.

Yea, found my first hollowed chest yesterday and it scared the :red: out of me. Totally awesome to win that battle and get something totally new.
I am now ready to prepare for Plantara, I will bring in the nurse since using her is an achievement ;)

I was extremely hyped for Expert mode. Overall, I wasn't disappointed. Here are my thoughts, and overall how my friends and I progressed through multiplayer. This is going to be fairly tl;dr, so I'll put each segment into spoiler boxes in order to preserve this page's compact size.

The new loot:
Royal Gel
Very nice utility item. Slimes are deceptively deadly and making them passive helped tremendously. It took some of the heat off of Lava Slimes while building our Hellbridge, but I am a massive idiot and if we had to sum up our Expert playthrough in three words, mine would likely be "Aaaugh! Lava Slimes!"

Shield of Cthulhu
Oh my god, this thing is amazing. We carried this thing with us up until mid Hardmode. The utility it provided was tremendous! Iframes, free damage, instantly hitting top speed when using a Unicorn mount.. very good item.

Worm Scarf
We had a Corruption world. I don't regret it. This item ultimately became the centerpiece of my build. While my friends may have had to move on to more damage accessories over time, this thing never left my side.

Brain of Confusion
Didn't touch a Crimson world. Looks awful on paper.

Hive Pack
Never noticed it. Thought it improved summoner bee gear, but it didn't really do anything for our group.

Bone Glove
Decent ranged weapon. Served well during WoF, fell off afterwards. Adds a lot of oomph to Bones, and makes them stay relevant in Expert.

Demon Heart
Basically just a glorified accessory slot for Worm Scarf or Destroyer Emblem.

Mechanical Cart
Loads of fun, insanely fast, but unfortunately we never got to really take advantage of them. Minecart spec may be a thing that happens one day, though.

Spore Sac
Amazing item for tanky characters, each spore seems to have ~65 ATK, maybe more depending on if it pierces Defense or not, combined with they fact they home in and hit about three or four times each makes it comically useful. Source of most of my damage after defeating Plantera.

Shiny Stone
Did I mention tanky characters got a lot of love with this update? Because they did. This item is INCREDIBLE. With this thing equipped I can stand in lava and regenerate HP. The healing provided from this thing alone allows bulky characters to park inside a honey pit alongside a Spore Sac and just facetank bosses all day long. Combined with Charm of Myths, Well Fed, Heart Lantern, Cozy Fire, and a Regeneration Potion, you simply cannot die to anything other than Moon Lord.

Shrimpy Truffle
Saves time on grinding out UFO mounts, and since 1.3.0.4 broke Probe spawns, was a godsend. Gives me justification to carry a Water Gun.

Gravity Globe
NOW ENTERING MIRROR MODE 150CC, GET READY KIDS

Suspicious Looking Tentacle
I guess I can stop using Shine Potions now? Oh wait, Solar Blaze armor makes me glow already. Oh well.

The playthrough:
Slimes and Zombies hurt. A lot. Many deaths happened early in. Sticking together in packs was a must. It took a while, but once we got some ranged weaponry (and Frostburn) going, things started looking up. Of course, soon afterwards, slime begins to fall from the sky.

With the five of us, King Slime had 9618 HP. A grueling battle filled with telefrags and struggling with our poor architexture skills (our sixth who shall not be named has a legacy that will never die) ended up rewarding us with a Royal Jelly, and rewarded me with a Slimy Saddle. Mine was Warding. It was the beginning of a sweet, sweet relationship with said prefix.

Slimy Saddle is also amazing. Disregard how hilariously powerful it was with the exploit, I never mastered it. It was just fun.

Soon after, a very sinister eyeball decided fun time was over. With 12504HP of pure fury, the Eye of Cthulhu arrived, ready to ram into us at high speeds. At one point, I ended up Goomba stomping it into space before dying to fall damage. Hard work, determination, Frostburn, and a bit of luck later, we obtained a Shield of Cthulhu, and our journey into speed truly began.

Soon came the blood moons. Dripplers? Money Troughs. Tactical pig deployment everywhere.

Our heroes soon start to feel confident. Eater of Worlds time? Of course! Why not? With 721HP per Eater segment, and most of our armor only being either Cactus or potentially one set of Platinum, we soon learned the error of our ways.

gzTEucC.jpg

Never forget.

One huge struggle later, only one or two of us got Treasure Bags. We had to fight it again to get everybody decked out with Worm Scarves. Later fights did not go any smoother, but we stayed true to our cause. No giant worm was going to remove us from our glorious homeland of nep nep nep nep nep. Not on this senator's watch.

I tasted bulk. It tasted good.

Next up on the list was Queen Bee. One of our numbers was going summoner. We figured we only needed one Bee to get all the Wax he needed. We were correct, but what we weren't expecting was the struggle. One of our ranks was off on the other side of the map, adding 4,000 HP to the Bee. With 16,000HP, we stood no chance, so we asked him to kindly get out until we spawned the boss. 12,000HP was much more servicable. Some Treasure Bags later, the bees were in full force.

Our numbers temporarily increased for Skeletron. No idea how much HP the hands had, but the main boss itself had a whopping 30,229HP. Our average HP was from 240 to 300. We were evicerated, barely bringing it down to 18,000 before the night ended. Calling effort, we went Hellstone diving at first, then started spawning Skelly with only three people and letting our fourth log in afterwards. After hours of playing on tilt, and ultimately around 7 tries, we finally overcame Skeletron. This was the lowest point in the playthrough, I feel - its HP scaling is a little too high for the kind of items available at the moment, but it might just be that we're bad. No idea, really.

At this point, we call effort and import enough Life Crystals to get us up to 400, as we had expended somewhere around 60 or so and were no longer finding any. Naturally, after doing so, we started finding them regularly. A sick kind of irony, really. One hellbridge that extends from the far left all the way to the center of the underworld (and countless burns at the hands of passive Lava Slimes) later, we prepared to fight the Wall. It had somewhere from 26,000 to 29,000HP, I never really got a good capture and my memory is hazy. All I do know for sure is that the thing was fast. The Wall is personally my favorite boss, and having it put up that much of a fight was incredible. We turned out to need almost the entire bridge to defeat it due to how fast it gets.

The spirits were released. Ores were generated. Palladium, Mythril, Adamantite. Crates were opened, altars were smashed, ores were mined. Progression was smooth. Those of us more confident in our dodging rolled Palladium, but we eventually opted for Adamantite in the hopes of the extra defense aiding us more than the regen from Palladium.

Meanwhile in combat, Zombies hurt again. On par with Possessed Armors, and even scarier than them at times if they had weapons. A little strange, but we rolled with it. Around this point, our resident fisherman got the rest of us into fishing, and then one of us made a shocking discovery: the Seedler. Three of us were doing melee builds, and the Seedler alone obliterated every other sword we could have ever wanted up until Terra Blade.

Oh, hello Destroyer. How nice of you to visit. Do you like seeds? No? Okay, bye! Cue Treasure Bags. In fact, it was so fast, cue a second Destroyer. Each of them had 311,000 HP and we took out two of them in one night because we had people in full pre-Hallow armor sets. Those of us not rolling summoner were soon in full Hallowed, barring the one who chose to stay in Frost.

Really, the mechs just gave up and died. It was boring. They didn't do anything new or interesting, they just had higher HP.

Higher HP mitigated by the fact we had three Seedlers. We soon obtained enough Broken Hero Swords to make Terra Blades, but we opted to simply keep using Seedlers - it was superior in close range, and Terra Beams were only superior at long range due to accuracy.

Soon, we had Hallow-tier mining equipment. Then, we had Chlorophyte. Soon after, I had Turtle armor, and at this point the game fell apart. I had so much defense that when we went to fight Plantera, I just stood in a pit of Honey with buffs up and Plantera died without any sort of a struggle. I died seconds before it died, but then on our second bulb, with the aid of the Spore Sack, Plantera and its 144,277HP died a horrible, horrible death. I guess its second phase was neat, but it ultimately did not affect us.

hxoQt3r.jpg

Pictured: A glorious cross counter

We wanted to do as much as we could before allowing Martians to spawn, so we went Dungeon looting first. Nobody wanted to use the Piranha Gun, and nobody even cared about the Rainbow Gun, so we were mostly there for actual enemy drops and a Frost Hydra. After getting all our stuff, we wanted to start doing Moons, but alas, post-Golem. First, though, let's get some dev vanity sets. We all actually got what we wanted fairly quickly, which was nice.

ALDWqoD.png

Pictured: The best vanity set in the game

No more putting it off, though. We have to fight Golem. As expected though, it was a barrel of laughs. I didn't even save any screenshots of the fights. I don't know how much HP it had. It just died. Shiny Stone and defensive Beetle armor combined is a barrel of laughs, too, though. I reached my final form. Picksaw in hand, we go to move the altar, only to be FUN POLICE'd by ayyyliems on reaching the surface.. and no Saucers spawned. Twice. Was very curious.

Moons? Moons.

xNUcAbB.jpg

"Hah, it took fifteen of you to kill me."

Duke Fishron? More like Dude Fishron. The new third phase is wild, I love it. I wish that the other HM bosses got that kind of love!

Frost Moon was less eventful than Pumpkin Moon, due to the fact Ice Queens move around so much. It was much harder to take entertaining screenshots of them.

Have a photo of our invasion trophy room, instead.

9xCqlE1.jpg

Expert mode.

1.3.0.4 dropped soon after. We wanted to do more Martians, but they didn't ever spawn. We soon found out why, so we decided to just go for Moon Man. Four idiots proceeded to go on the ride of their lives, one of which was for the most part unspoiled on the fight. For the first time, I had fun with this event. Of course, I facetanked the Cultist. 105,000HP later, celestial creatures began invading.

Vortex Pillar spawned on us. Phantasm time? Phantasm time. Still hitting an average of 1,000 DPS with endless quiver, the tank finally has cannons. Next, Solar Pillar. We had enough to make two Solar Eruptions and a Daybreak. Soon, Stardust Pillar. Our summoner obtains a giant dragon. It was glorious. Lastly, Nebula Pillar. Conveniently enough, it was right on top of our arena.

Impending doom approaches.

cBmtmky.jpg

Pictured: jesus christ look at all those hit points

We didn't really have proper setup for it. Our strategy was just throw Moon Man at me while everybody hit him, then when I died, we begin to take turns dying until I'm back into the action to facetank it a little longer. We did nothing intelligent such as only paritally breaking parts to drop everything at once, we simply hit him. Eight minutes of final boss later, we overcome Moon Man, and I had fun.

Here's our Moon Man fight. Our group was on voice, and my voice is admittedly loud and obnoxious due to awful recording levels, and there is swearing in this that would be blocked by the swear filter, so do as you will. Admittedly, we started getting a little bit on tilt near the end, but hey, long boss fight.

Ultimately, if you don't want to read a tl;dr of the majority of our playthrough, here are my impressions.

+ Enemy scaling upwards in hardmode is nice, and helps everything stay relevant and a threat regardless of gear level
+ Boss HP scaling keeps bosses relevant with multiple players
+ Treasure Bags promote multiplayer play, ending with more loot over less time
+ Defense changes makes having a tanky character far more valuable, along with making tanking more viable in general
+ Expert items are mostly just nice perks more than essential items

- Earlygame is absolutely awful, but once you get armor going it picks up fairly quickly
- Skeletron scales extremely harshly for the point of the game it is at if you have more than three players
- Respawn timer on bosses is justified but not particularly fun to deal with
- Certain enemies don't scale upwards, such as Hoplites and Medusas, and basically everything in Hardmode
-- This causes Green Slimes to deal more damage than Possessed Armors and Chaos Elementals, which causes huge dissonance
- Mechs don't really change, which is disappointing after the first bosses changed patterns
- Not really related to Expert mode, but Seedler is hilarious and I both love and hate it

All in all, I enjoyed it in multiplayer. I don't think I want to play Expert in single player from scratch, though. Not yet, anyway.

Good job, dev team. Thanks for all the fun, and especially for all the !!FUN!!.

So far I've beaten up to every pillar with melee. (no fishron killed or martians/moons.)
I fought the final boss unprepared, but so far he looks like he will be a challenge. As for the pillars (ratings are 1 - 3 based on difficulty and amount of time taken) :

Stardust - Difficulty: 1 - Time: 1
Solar - Difficulty: 2 - Time: 3
Vortex - Difficulty: 3 - Time: 2
Nebula - Difficulty: 2 - Time: 2

Honestly wish you could fight the final boss separately from all the pillars.

That's the point, people. Expert Mode is meant as a personal challenge. The game takes off the training wheels and shows you what it's really like, what true difficulty really means. I don't see that often in modern games. Am I frustrated? Yes. Do I think it's BS? Hell no. This is expert mode. It's for Terraria experts seeking a challenge even Hardcore Hardmode doesn't pose.
The point of expert mode is that it is hard. Except lava slimes dropping lava is not hard.
When i see one i groan, kill it and grapple to the roof for a minute, waiting for the lava to flow away.

Much challenge. Many difficult. Wow. No.

Doesnt help that i oneshot almost everything in hell by now yet building that bridge for WoF takes :red:ing forever because these damn slimes-
I cannot describe how useful the royal gel is with regards to the lava slimes. Spread the word people!
OOOOOH shiiiiii, totally forgot about that. Looted it, thought: "Thats kind of...useless?" and stashed it away. :p

Expert mode isnt about what items do this or that or what armors can do this or that but more about you learning what to do in certain situations. Random chance my kill you in the end but for the most part its just doing the right thing at the right moment. You still need certain things to kind of keep that progression but its more about finding your play style and using it to your advantage. Its about not just being able to face roll things but that you need to prep. That's what experts do. They just don't go in blind but they prep and are prepared for the what if's that can happen in combat and life situations.

Yes, of course it is about preparation. I dont leave things up for chance, else id not have gotten this far in the first place. And still, if i prepared this much, potions and all, maxed gear i can get my hands on at the moment (thats also preparation!), a single enemy should not cause this much annoyance.

Even if i use obsidian skin potions, when the slime drops its lava on my bridge i still have to wait a minute for no good reason at all, i cant place blocks on lava. And then theres the problem with the lava dislodging my torches, campfires and such. Please no.

And i'm trying to play as a summoner

1. Summoner class has the lowest defense, and Minions AI is not the best, and it get worse underground, with narrow passages and stuff they get stuck or things like that. I hope in future updates it gets better

2. the most secure way to advance in pre-hardmode and early hardmode is to stack defense, even when you're not playing melee class

Back
Top Bottom