PC The state of 1.3.1 for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does work, but I realized that I couldn't walk and swing a weapon or tool at the same time. And there is a bit of a lag between doing so when I do use it. Way too much of a hassle.
In fact, if you plan to be stationary during a boss fight, using the stylus is a great aiming tactic. But on normal gameplay, stylus blocks all other touch inputsi so it's deadly to use...

what is the best controller to be able to play games on PC or Mac? how popular is the steam controller?

I don't know about Terraria nor 1.3.1, but the best two controllers for PC are the XBox 360 controllers (you can buy wired Xbox 360 controllers made especially for desktop PCs) for games that are NOT 2d side-scrollers.

Games that ARE 2D sidescrollers, or emulating old consoles, you simply cannot beat a Playstation 2 controller. Analog sticks absolutely suck for 2D movement (you will oftentimes get diagonal when you want straight, for example), and for me, the D-pad on a 360 controller is too awkward to use as a primary control method.

The Playstation2 controller (PS1 controllers work too!) can be hooked up to your PC via a cheap adapter you can find anywhere. You probably won't get the analog sticks, nor vibration, but the D-pad and the 10 buttons should work fine with most of those adapters.

Some games won't recognize it because of Micro$uck's outdated controller support (they only support 360 controllers nowadays lol), but that's why you get a program like xpadder to map gamepad buttons to keyboard keys and then in the game/emulator's config, map those keys to the functions.

I've found that no PC gamepad has ever come close to a PS2 controller, ever. Not in terms of comfort and especially not in the D-Pad. The PS2's D-pad is 4 separate buttons, nearly all PC gamepads have the D-pad as one large moveable button and you get the same problem as you do on 360 controllers -- getting down right or up right when you just want plain right which can cause your characters to crouch or what-not while trying to run right.

In fact, if you plan to be stationary during a boss fight, using the stylus is a great aiming tactic. But on normal gameplay, stylus blocks all other touch inputsi so it's deadly to use...
Xbone controllers are good on mac, you just need a driver which you can find if you google ' 360controller github ', should be the first result. Fairly easy to set up and i also prefer them over ps4 controllers.

Sorry if this question has been asked... or if its stupid -lol- But are we able to plug in an use our gamepad currently for the PC? Or do we have to wait for the update to come out first?

There are currently no support for gamepads built in, so we'll have to wait. There was a mod for 1.2.4.1 that added gamepad support but it's not supported anymore.

There are currently no support for gamepads built in, so we'll have to wait. There was a mod for 1.2.4.1 that added gamepad support but it's not supported anymore.
Got it! Thank you so much for that. Patiently waiting..haven't even taken the gamepad out of the box.

Im not sure what made me think of this, but when i was playing pc, (1.3.0.8) when i was fighting the pirates the flying dutchman never dropped anything!! Just coins. I fought him over and over again but he never
Dropped anything!!!! Plz fix!!! PLZ!!!

Im not sure what made me think of this, but when i was playing pc, (1.3.0.8) when i was fighting the pirates the flying dutchman never dropped anything!! Just coins. I fought him over and over again but he never
Dropped anything!!!! Plz fix!!! PLZ!!!

I haven't had a problem with this; he has a slightly higher chance to drop typical Pirate loot, but most of that loot is very rare, so even his boosted chance is still rather low. That, along with his trophy.

I haven't had a problem with this; he has a slightly higher chance to drop typical Pirate loot, but most of that loot is very rare, so even his boosted chance is still rather low. That, along with his trophy.

I've always felt that needed a tweak. Killing the Dutchman is actually counter-productive to your efforts if you want pirate loot, because the dutchman is "worth" a lot more in terms of the kill meter when you're fighting the pirates, but yet it only has a slightly better chance of dropping actual loot.

It seems to me that killing all pirates and letting the dutchman go until after 100% seems like a better strategy because of that. I'd think the dutchman should have a significantly higher, like 50% chance, of dropping a pirate loot item rather than just a slight boost.

It seems to me that killing all pirates and letting the dutchman go until after 100% seems like a better strategy because of that. I'd think the dutchman should have a significantly higher, like 50% chance, of dropping a pirate loot item rather than just a slight boost.

50% higher than they currently are? Or 50% chance to drop a rare pirate item period?

Some of those Pirate loot items are among the rarest items in the game. 50% drop off of a Dutchman would make them a cakewalk.

50% higher than they currently are? Or 50% chance to drop a rare pirate item period?

Some of those Pirate loot items are among the rarest items in the game. 50% drop off of a Dutchman would make them a cakewalk.

I'm not really seeing the reason (other than the Coin Gun...) why they should be that rare though, because by the time you get to where you can farm the pirates effectively... you no longer need money. What good does the Greedy Ring do you then? And the Cutlass... well, again, by the time you get THAT far (unless you really try farming it early by farming Pirate Maps), the Cutlass isn't particularly useful either.

The rarity and difficulty to obtain these items makes them obsolete from the time you get them, as the only thing a player would really spend that much money on is either reforges (you'd have to be pretty unlucky to spend that much) or wiring for teleporters and the like (which the player probably already did with Eclipse-farmed money).

And besides, even if we made it 50% chance... you need to get the pirates up to 50% before a dutchman will even appear, and IIRC, each Dutchman kill is 5% towards the end. So, maximum of 10 dutchmen (assuming you don't accidentally kill anything else)... I'd foresee mostly cutlasses if anything. Maybe the occasional staff, and if you're lucky, maybe one of the accessories.

I've always felt that needed a tweak. Killing the Dutchman is actually counter-productive to your efforts if you want pirate loot, because the dutchman is "worth" a lot more in terms of the kill meter when you're fighting the pirates, but yet it only has a slightly better chance of dropping actual loot.

Yep..pretty much!!

Maybe my math is a bit off, but I believe those calculations are incorrect. The addition of the Dutchman has already made those drops quite a bit easier to get in my experience, boasting a 5x drop rate over Captains, who in turn have about a 4x higher drop rate than typical Pirates (meaning Dutchmen have a 20x chance to drop over Crew). However, in the invasion counter, Dutchmen are only worth 2x as much completion as Captains, who are are worth about 5x as much as Crew.

I've I'm not mistaken, its actually advantageous to always kill Dutchmen over other Pirates, as their loot drop chance is proportionally 2x as high as their "invasion progress" credit compared to the rest of the invasion units (save Parrots, who don't really drop any of the goods).

Increasing the drop rate to 50%, (a little less than 4x their current chance to drop a rare piece of Pirate loot) seems a bit high to me. I'd rather see new drops added to the Dutchman entirely to make it more exciting, but that isn't my call to make. It would be relatively easy to farm Dutchmen, just running around and ignoring other units until a Dutchman spawned, and you'd be able to kill as many as 5 or 6 in any one invasion. That would be an average of ~3 rare drops in addition to whatever else the invasion dropped. The current rate seems more in line with the rest of the invasion's rarity. And that was determined to fit with Relogic's vision of the invasion at the time, whatever that may have been (I'm not privy to that, as much of it added quite a while ago)

Last edited:
It would be relatively easy to farm Dutchmen, just running around and ignoring other units until a Dutchman spawned, and you'd be able to kill as many as 5 or 6 in any one invasion.

The problem with this, though, is that once you hit the enemy cap, new things will spawn in very slowly (you must wait for the game to decide to despawn one of the current enemies and that can take awhile) and you are forced to either attempt to despawn the mobs already there, or kill some of them (which will add to the event counter).

The problem with this, though, is that once you hit the enemy cap, new things will spawn in very slowly (you must wait for the game to decide to despawn one of the current enemies and that can take awhile) and you are forced to either attempt to despawn the mobs already there, or kill some of them (which will add to the event counter).

Not hard at all to just run off the screen and spawn in new enemies. Regardless, my point stands; NOT killing Dutchmen is actually the counter-productive technique, rather than the other way around.

Oh, the infinite (NPC) house bug was fixed for 1.3.1; so says Cenx on her twitter feed.

Well that gives us a bit more freedom without having to worry about bugging the game's housing system. And of course, you know, the peeps who exploited it won't be able to do so anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom