tModLoader The Thorium Mod

VcXxVhg.png
So, my potions ran out, almost to the end of the brigde and i was like:"..:red:" but in the end, it worked out for me ;) Suck it Mr.WoF

So, I had two random thoughts this morning that I wanted to express.

The first is that, at least for the early-game sets, I find that I tend to wind up getting them just a little after the point in progression where I would really consider using them. I'm playing on Expert, which may have something to do with it, but it's just that, overall, there seems to be a poor effort to reward exchange going on. In particular, I notice this with the Icy set. Stat-wise, it's around Iron tier with some added effects, but with the drop rates of the items, and the conditions in snow biomes in general, I tend to already be using full silver to platinum before I can get it - going down to get basic ores is just faster and safer. Bulb fares a little better, but there's only one enemy that drops the critical item for it, and that enemy doesn't spawn all that often, but the underground jungle is a dangerous place, and takes some serious preparation to get into, especially for squishy mages. Plus, even once you grind the petals, you still also need to get the Arcane Armor Fabricator - grant you, not a steep hurdle if you can survive the jungle, but still one more requirement to meet.

I did use the Bulb set, but I was never really sure it was better than Diamond Robes, a good hat, and pants from Jungle or Meteor, or even a full set of the latter two. In fact, I ended up going back to the aforementioned hat-robe-pants combo, as I found I got much better cost/damage ratio on my spells, and that any help the poison clouds would have been was compensated by the significantly higher reserves of mana I had, allowing me to unload more spells without pausing. I've analysed the 5-less-def vs. 20-more-health compared to Jungle, and it's hard to say which wins on pure survival, especially when the relative worth of more health vs. more defence is different in Normal worlds vs. Expert worlds, but given I went with an even weaker set in the end (and I was playing in/Thorium is meant for multiplayer, where enemy strength scales by number of players, in Expert) I think it is fair to say that the overall effect feels weak for the effort to obtain.

Most of the picks, axes, and hammers I never wind up crafting, since I've almost always got better already. While I can't speak to ranged, which I'm not a huge fan of, the same tends to hold true for melee weapons. Though, I admit I haven't looked into the weapons as much as the armours. They generally all just get filed under "skipped tier", though, with the exception of some of the spells...though in my latest playthrough I was able to get a Water Bolt pre-Skeletron from the upper "safe" parts of the dungeon, and routinely found myself using other spells for a little while, then going back to the bolt. Even after Skeletron, I'm not sure if I've found anything that's really better early-game, and still go back to the bolt.

In summary, I feel like the early game sets could use either a buff or an easier recipe, to make them a bit more viable for the point in the game when you'll be most likely to get them.

:brain:

The second thing is less of an analysis or criticism, and more of an observation and suggestion. Just recently, I was thinking about it, and tried to remember how many minecarts there were. The answer, near as I can tell, is two. One of them is both Hardmode-only and Expert-only. That's...pretty underwhelming for something that has it's own inventory slot. I'm not sure if this is a gap you would actually want to fill, but there does seem to be some potential. For instance, the Ocean Set would lend itself well to an aquatic minecart - some kind of submarine or bathysphere that lets you breathe underwater while riding, while Magma or Granite could lend themselves to a fireproof one. There could even be a "winged chariot" using a combination of feathers, avian cartridge, and bronze (or use cloud in there, whatever) with high jumping and slowfall/glide for acting out people's Evel Kinevel fantasies.

Point being, there's a dearth of minecarts in this game, despite them getting their own slot, and Thorium's tiers offer the potential for some cool ones.

`:confused:

As an aside, a question - Neither the quick-buff nor quick-heal key uses the Cook's food (at least not pie). Is this intentional? If so, is there/can there be a "quick meal" key?

Weapon : idea essence staff: uses 10 mana it summons a molten rock that shoots those arrow things that slag fury shoots im a little sad that there isn't a minion for making with endgame fire essence. but this is clearly a better mod than tremor in a heart beat with all the content :D

Snip & As a side question - Neither the quick-buff nor quick-heal key uses the Cook's food (at least not pie). Is this intentional? If so, is there/can there be a "quick meal" key?
Balancing sure is hard... :sigh: I'm doing my best in this update to make armor sets and weapons as effective as they should be when you get them, but there's a large issue when it comes to my work. Truthfully, I'm attempting to insert items and equipment into segments of vanilla Terraria that already have a plethora of items. I'm probably over saturating the player's possible options so much so that a lot of items may seem useless. My hope is that when I get multiplayer working at a comfortable level, and you all play with your friends, each of you will take a large amount of time exploring all that the mod has to offer with each person taking on specific roles that way you might be able to see how some odd weapons or items can actually be useful. That's my hope at least... Though that could make the game-play feel almost linear which is not my intention for a Sandbox game... I may have goofed pretty badly when I made this mod...

- I'll look into making a quick eat button

Actually, I think this mod is really great. That's part of what makes me critical, ironically. The quality is top-notch for a mod, so I want to see it be the coolest and most polished it can be. And, as I mentioned (at least in passing? I think? 'o_O) I am trying it out in multiplayer. I love the idea of giving more options/definition to different classes. Heck, this mod found a way to flesh-out what amounted to a subweapon into a class, and create an entirely new class besides. Huge props for that! So please, don't think that your hard work isn't appreciated.

In particular, I notice this with the Icy set. Stat-wise, it's around Iron tier with some added effects, but with the drop rates of the items, and the conditions in snow biomes in general, I tend to already be using full silver to platinum before I can get it - going down to get basic ores is just faster and safer.

Well, while I have a different playstyle and I like going early to the snow biome (mainly for Ice Blade when I play melee) but I have to agree. I noticed that the Icy Shard drop chance is just too small - increasing the drop chance or number of them (I'd prefer the chance) would be good.

Balancing sure is hard... :sigh: I'm doing my best in this update to make armor sets and weapons as effective as they should be when you get them, but there's a large issue when it comes to my work.

You're doing an amazing job - actually, you are doing it better than Blizzard does it with Diablo 3 sets `:D Anyway, I have to say, you did an amazing job with this mod. I have a suggestion. I feel like the throwing class needs some buffs on the late game tier, so why not allow us to make Terrarium Javelins? Or Terrarium Throwing Knives? Maybe both, like with the bone ones. Also, it would be cool to create an upgrade to the Lich Armor - maybe using Spooky Wood? The set bonus would be applying Ichor AND something like "Your throwing attacks have 33% chance to summon a homing Pumpkin" - similiar to The Horseman Blade. This would be a cool upgrade, and fits the theme - Lich is the Spooky boss, and the Pumpkin Moon is the spooky event. Also the armor would provide better stats and some more defense, to make it on-par with other classes gear of the Moon-events tier, and would allow throwers to match the Cultist - and with suggested earlier Terrarium Javelins and throwing Knives, throwers could make pillars! Also, maybe Solar/Vortex Javelins/Throwing Knives later? I know it's a lot of work, but it's just a suggestion, maybe someone could think about a better idea, maybe you'll get inspired by this and think about something amazing that would match the quality of the Thorium mod. Good luck on your work!

Balancing sure is hard... :sigh: I'm doing my best in this update to make armor sets and weapons as effective as they should be when you get them, but there's a large issue when it comes to my work. Truthfully, I'm attempting to insert items and equipment into segments of vanilla Terraria that already have a plethora of items. I'm probably over saturating the player's possible options so much so that a lot of items may seem useless. My hope is that when I get multiplayer working at a comfortable level, and you all play with your friends, each of you will take a large amount of time exploring all that the mod has to offer with each person taking on specific roles that way you might be able to see how some odd weapons or items can actually be useful. That's my hope at least... Though that could make the game-play feel almost linear which is not my intention for a Sandbox game... I may have goofed pretty badly when I made this mod...

Honestly, that's what surprised me the most when I started first playing with this mod yesterday - and I don't mean that in a negative way! It's just there are so many options available that it makes the game feel a lot more open. No longer am I restricted to the old "tier path", but I have many different ways of getting to the same power level. It kind of lets me play the game however I feel like, actually - Sure, there's a lot of options that I may end up skipping, but that's mostly because I've just taken an alternate path. It's nice to find an item later on which - while not directly useful to me on my current playthrough (as it's slightly weaker), I know I can work towards that item on my next playthrough and make life a little easier as a result.

Although yes am very hype for multiplayer in both this mod (and tModLoader in general) to be pretty good. ;D

I feel like, actually - Sure, there's a lot of options that I may end up skipping, but that's mostly because I've just taken an alternate path. It's nice to find an item later on which - while not directly useful to me on my current playthrough (as it's slightly weaker), I know I can work towards that item on my next playthrough and make life a little easier as a result.

Yes, that's the spirit! When I was doing my first Thorium playthrough, I obtained some stuff too late - I have learned from this - I'm doing a full mage playthrough now and I'm happy with that - in the first playthrough I didn't craft Petal or White Knight set, I did it however on mage playthrough. And that's how it should work I think - you choose your own, different path of gathering power. I think the mod is accomplishing it. I like the choice between Bee Armor or Meteor Summoner armor - it's a great example of how it should work - there are different sets that offer different possibilities, and it's up to me what I choose. I think Thorium has so much content that it accomplishes the objective of being "sandboxy" - which is what it should be.

Id like to report a bug ( at least i think its a bug, also im not sure if anyone else has said this yet). The bug in question involves the Queen Jellyfish, as i was able to spawn her as long as i was in water, it didnt have to be in the ocean. i was able to do it multiple times, so it wasnt a one time thing

Hey I'm curious is their any way to make a item that prevents a creature from de-spawning, and is their any way you could implement it in this mod.

Id like to report a bug ( at least i think its a bug, also im not sure if anyone else has said this yet). The bug in question involves the Queen Jellyfish, as i was able to spawn her as long as i was in water, it didnt have to be in the ocean. i was able to do it multiple times, so it wasnt a one time thing

This is because u just have to be at the ocean biome it doesn't matter if you're in the ocean or not u just have to be in the ocean biome u will tell by the background changing
[doublepost=1463645548,1463645296][/doublepost]
Hey I'm curious is their any way to make a item that prevents a creature from de-spawning, and is their any way you could implement it in this mod.

Teleports in vanilla Terraria are good enough just in areas where u r not at like at the snow biome or the desert biome or even the jungle, the mobs will step on it and u just need to make a trap for them to die but u will need to wire them

Those ores do generate like crazy. 10+ kills will make them spawn allll over the place. There's no reason to kill the boss that many times in normal play unless RNG really hates coughing up a particular prize, but it's still kind of a dampener on the idea of fighting the Beholder for fun.

Is that possible to make the generation a bit less abundant? I mean, for example, First time Valadium or Lodestone generates, a full amount of it is generated. Later, if the boss is killed, the same ore is generated - but only 1/2 of the original amount. Next time it's 1/4, 1/8 etc. I mean, I really like fighting the Beholder - it's a very fun fight, drops are cool (tough I got Obliterator 4 times in a row playing as a full mage) and well, it would eliminate the problem of having too much of these ores after a Beholder killing galore.

Back
Top Bottom