Terraria Community Forums

Leinfors
Leinfors
Did you end up with a real counselor, or did they stick you into some sort of "pseudo-counselor" who's actual job is just to fix you?

If the former, you'll probably be fine. Counselors and psychologists know when to blow off pushy parents, and try to focus on what you really need to talk about.
Leinfors
Leinfors
No one is perfect, but its VERY common in the counseling field for parents/relatives to pressure someone into counseling to fix a perceived "problem", and counseling professionals can see right through this. And no counselor worth their salt will try to "fix" sexual orientation.
Jetstreme ∞
Jetstreme ∞
The former, thankfully. I think he's going to do exactly what you described which is a really big relief. I just.. I couldn't go through weeks of someone trying to change me like that.
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
Don't you mean 'psychiatrist', @[43:mad:Leinfors]? Pyschologists tend to only study the various parts of the brain and mind....
Leinfors
Leinfors
Incorrect.

A psychiatrist is a licensed MD who can prescribe medication, usually in the field of mental health. They may additionally be licensed and able to offer counseling, but this is not required, and many focus primarily on medication.

Continued->
Leinfors
Leinfors
< -Continued

A psychologist is a licensed, doctorate level professional in the field of mental health, study and counseling, and cannot prescribe medication. They can either focus on research, or can be direct counselors, depending on their preference. If you've been counseled regularly by a "Doctor", it was probably a psychologist.

Continued ->
Leinfors
Leinfors
< -Continued

A counselor is a licensed professional who generally holds a master's level education in counseling, generally focusing on the "hands on" portion of therapy and counseling. They can't use the title "Doctor" before their name (as the other two can). A counselor generally won't engage in direct research as part of their profession, though they can.
Leinfors
Leinfors
The distinction is often unclear, so its understandably confusing. I happen to have a master's in counseling myself, and was "this close" to being in the field, and would have ended up as a counselor at that education level.

Sorry for the derail Jetstream.
Techhunter_Talon
Techhunter_Talon
Welp... I guess a college professor and the book he assigned us to read was entirely wrong when making that distinction between the two.
MinerTurtle45
MinerTurtle45
lein you could've been a counselor
why'd you become a moderator on a video game forum
Leinfors
Leinfors
Would be surprised if a book got it entirely wrong, but feel free to fact check me on Google. As I indicated, there is a fair bit of overlap (psychiatrists who can counsel, psychologists who only do research), but if you are seeing a "therapist" for regular sessions, its almost certainly a counselor or a psychologist. The psychiatrist is the person you see once every six months to refill your anti-depressants.
Leinfors
Leinfors
Because Terraria is just that cool.

But actually because being part of video game design was always my dream, but I didn't think it was possible. I went into counseling as an "acceptable alternative", but when an opportunity presented itself to be involved with Terraria instead, I took it. Still walked with a master's degree, so its not a total wash.
Kelp
Kelp
Well you can rest assured that gender or sexual preference matters not here. As for your situation, If they continue treating you poorly then you might be in interest to contact an agency that deals with this stuff.
Jetstreme ∞
Jetstreme ∞
I've honestly considered, I'm hoping the counselor will tell them what they're doing isn't fruitful, though. I know they probably have my best interests in mind so they might listen to a professional. Thank you for the advice, though.
Matsu
Matsu
I am still convinced this is a cover-up and your actual absence was due to Club Penguin related depression.
Jetstreme ∞
Jetstreme ∞
Oh yeah, that too. I didn't want to go through that alone.

Like, I'm serious.

I invested my emotions in all the wrong things.
Kelp
Kelp
Well, I'm free for a chat if you need someone to just talk to about bits and bobs, a little interaction. Can add me on steam or PM if you feel so.
Shame about Club Penguin.
What do Penguins wear on their heads?
Ice-Caps.
GawenStarTeller
GawenStarTeller
Being completely honest here I'm not entirely sure what to say to this; if anything at all, but I should probably at least say the obligatory "we're all here to support you".
GawenStarTeller
GawenStarTeller
Can I just point out that trying to convert somebody to be straight because they're bisexual of all things is an extremely pointless nitpick to have? Like, granted, the world would probably be a lot easier if everyone was simply straight because then problems like this wouldn't exist (I'd say it'd be easier if everyone was gay too, but... well, unfortunately they can't reproduce normally)but (cont)
Jetstreme ∞
Jetstreme ∞
It's really appreciated, man. More than I think anyone here knows.

I actually just got back from my second appointment with the counselor, he didn't even mention my sexuality and instead focused on my other problems. Huge relief.
Back
Top Bottom